Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Article  (Read 9921 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Vander Article
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »
Vander's tweet this morning...

@Vander13lue: God works in mysterious ways!

I'm not a big fan of trying to interpret or read something into seemingly innocuous tweets, but in this case I'll make an exception. May well be nothing, but for some reason, I'm thinking he received good news this morning.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
Hope so. Funny though, I saw the same thing and thought it must mean he was told he didn't make it. We'll find out soon enough. Hope it works out for him. Either way, it seems he made a good impression and got some attention that could serve him well going forward if he isn't on the Sixers' roster.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
Hope so. Funny though, I saw the same thing and thought it must mean he was told he didn't make it.

I considered that (and it may well be so), but chose he optimistic route.

Maybe he's been traded to the Bucks.  :D

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
If I'm reading the tea leaves, it's a reference to not getting drafted but ending up in the league anyways.

Or, he prayed to Saint Anthony to find his lost car keys and it worked.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 10:20:15 AM »
I would put Vander making the Sixers more likely than Lazar getting drafted in the first round. Unexpected (but great) things happen.
We Are Marquette

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
His coach recently commented that Sixers only had 6 NBA players on roster. Named Vander and others as not NBA ready.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »
His coach recently commented that Sixers only had 6 NBA players on roster. Named Vander and others as not NBA ready.

There's no question that's true, but if he hangs in, it presents a great opportunity. Presummably will pull down about $6k for every game he's on the roster, and if he were to make it to Feb, would guarantee himself about  $500K, and with any luck can position himself for another job next year.

He has a very long road ahead, regardless of what happens with the 76ers this week and beyond, but whether he makes it or not, he's off to a pretty decent start.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »

Here is the article. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/23/4947522/philadelphia-76ers-brett-brown-roster

Still need 12-13 on the roster, especially with Nerlens out for a while.
We Are Marquette

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »

He's right. Actually, 6 may be stretching it.

Brown was likely trying to motivate the non-ready guys or he may have simply been trying to proactively cover his a$$ a little bit. Despite knowing that the team is in all out tank mode, no one wants to be the coach who goes 12-70 in his first season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »
Here is the article. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/23/4947522/philadelphia-76ers-brett-brown-roster

Still need 12-13 on the roster, especially with Nerlens out for a while.

Wow ... that is some sad roster. Here's hoping Vander sticks, because if he can't stick with that team, he might end up being Jerel II.

As for God working in mysterious ways, he might find -- as Tebow did -- that God is quite the tease when it comes to opportunities in pro sports!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
Well, Khalif Wyatt has been waived, so it would appear as though Blue is probably going to make it. He may well still be assigned to the D-League affiliate for much of the year, but at $500k, I'm guessing he won't complain too loudly.

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
NBA Legion @MySportsLegion
Source: 76ers have released Khalif Wyatt, Royce White and Vander Blue. I'm hoping these guys get signed elsewhere, all talented.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »
brutal day for blue and lockett

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »
NBA Legion @MySportsLegion
Source: 76ers have released Khalif Wyatt, Royce White and Vander Blue. I'm hoping these guys get signed elsewhere, all talented.

DAMN.
SS Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »
Bummer. Not this time. Safe to assume there will be additional chances.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »
Bummer. Not this time. Safe to assume there will be additional chances.

He'll end up like Jerel... 'cept Jerel was smart enough to finish his career and get his degree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
He'll end up like Jerel... 'cept Jerel was smart enough to finish his career and get his degree.

As a college administrator, I approve of players getting their degrees. But honestly how much do you think that degree has helped Jerel in his career as a professional basketball player?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 11:42:01 PM »
As a college administrator, I approve of players getting their degrees. But honestly how much do you think that degree has helped Jerel in his career as a professional basketball player?

Not much, but if Jerel wants to coach down the road many places require a degree.  Glad he has it.  Sometimes it is for the longer haul, not the shorter.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »
Not much, but if Jerel wants to coach down the road many places require a degree.  Glad he has it.  Sometimes it is for the longer haul, not the shorter.

But it's not like Van left after one year. He's closer to a degree than even some of our former players had been going into their Senior year. Not a large obstacle to overcome. Hell, Eddie Jordan did fine coaching without a college degree.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
Whatever the future holds, I wish him much success. enjoyed watching him play and look forward to doing so again

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »

Maybe, though I'd bet Vander plays in an NBA game sometime in the next 5 years.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »

+1 - When Jerel retires in his mid 30s he's not going to be independently wealthy.  He's going to have to work at something else for 30+ years.  If he wants to coach in high school or college, he'll be glad he has a degree.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback