'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: It was the worst of halves, it was the best of halves.  (Read 7725 times)

tower912

• All American
It was the worst of halves, it was the best of halves.
« on: January 03, 2023, 07:40:51 PM »
1.   Anderson benched Posh due to performance, Curbelo due to conduct.    Soriano was seriously ticked about the effort against SHU.   SJU came out angry and took their anger and frustration out on MU in the first half.     
2.   I had not, over two games, seen SJU run that high post action off of Soriano.    It was isolations and hitting him low post to mid post.    That high post movement was very effective.   
3.   I would like to get mad at Sean and Ben for that play at the end of the half, but..... freshmen.    Waddayagonna do?   They both stayed in it in the second half.  .
4.   There are many ways to defend the high pick and roll.    Buzz claimed to have 6.    Frequently, Shaka will double and turn the ballhandler.   Switching every time and leaving a big out high and a guard down low can kill you if the other team is patient.   We saw that under Wojo.   I know Shaka likes to switch all 5, but there comes a time to change it up to leave big on big.   In Shaka's defense, he changed things up at half time.   
5.  I think we can all see the value of Omax on the floor.    Two fouls in the first half, the flow went SJU's way.    He was the freaking man in the second half.   #OMax2nba
6.  I also think we can all agree this was not Oso's best work.    First time all year he looked weak with the ball.   Probably because he kept getting called 'Ighodory'.    Really?
7.  I love Stevie a little more every game.   
8.  The bench all had moments.    But the starters are all in the game at the end.   Well, except for avoiding the 'Hack-an-Oso'.
9.   MU took SJU's best shot.   The absorbed it and stayed within reach.    They made adjustments on defense in the second half.   Two straight conference road wins.    Warriors.   

Hearing the "We are... Marquette" cheer in NYC.    Priceless.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: It was the worst of halves, it was the best of halves.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 07:42:41 PM »
Olivier
Maxence
Prosper

Sledgehammer 2nd half for the young man Tower. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 07:43:27 PM »
1.   Anderson benched Posh due to performance, Curbelo due to conduct.    Soriano was seriously ticked about the effort against SHU.   SJU came out angry and took their anger and frustration out on MU in the first half.     
2.   I had not, over two games, seen SJU run that high post action off of Soriano.    It was isolations and hitting him low post to mid post.    That high post movement was very effective.   
3.   I would like to get mad at Sean and Ben for that play at the end of the half, but..... freshmen.    Waddayagonna do?   They both stayed in it in the second half.  .
4.   There are many ways to defend the high pick and roll.    Buzz claimed to have 6.    Frequently, Shaka will double and turn the ballhandler.   Switching every time and leaving a big out high and a guard down low can kill you if the other team is patient.   We saw that under Wojo.   I know Shaka likes to switch all 5, but there comes a time to change it up to leave big on big.   In Shaka's defense, he changed things up at half time.   
5.  I think we can all see the value of Omax on the floor.    Two fouls in the first half, the flow went SJU's way.    He was the freaking man in the second half.   #OMax2nba
6.  I also think we can all agree this was not Oso's best work.    First time all year he looked weak with the ball.   Probably because he kept getting called 'Ighodory'.    Really?
7.  I love Stevie a little more every game.   
8.  The bench all had moments.    But the starters are all in the game at the end.   Well, except for avoiding the 'Hack-an-Oso'.
9.   MU took SJU's best shot.   The absorbed it and stayed within reach.    They made adjustments on defense in the second half.   Two straight conference road wins.    Warriors.   

Hearing the "We are... Marquette" cheer in NYC.    Priceless.

Wait?!?  They won?!?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 07:43:51 PM »
I noticed the change you mentioned on PNR defense immediately in the second half. They got burned a couple times but really a great adjustment.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 07:44:41 PM »
I forgot how “interesting” the game chat thread is. Both Goose & I (couple others too) mentioned that Johnnie’s first half shooting was unsustainable, and MU picked up the intensity on defense. Very nice road win, that’s a money in the bank type win come March.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
If we can start stringing two solid halves together, look out Big East.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 07:46:21 PM »
This was a really nice performance. Withstood SJU’s best shot on their home floor and still ended up with a double figure victory. Wojo’s teams would have folded it in after that first half.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 07:48:53 PM »
Dish

Great call on the first 70. I liked that play big time. This will be a great win come March.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 07:49:15 PM »
Very entertaining basketball team.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 07:49:36 PM »
14/8 for Kolek. Can’t say enough about how steady he is.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 07:51:19 PM »
Over several games MU seems to lose the first half and then come out gunning in the 2nd which I hope is due to the defense wearing down the opponent.  I don’t like giving the opposing team 7+ pts.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 07:52:08 PM »
14/8 for Kolek. Can’t say enough about how steady he is.

Its the lack of TO's too.

Really incredible.

Hes getting a bit better at the lay ups too. If those keep improving his scoring will make him even more dynamic.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 07:52:17 PM »
One really minor detail from tonight's game that I enjoyed was that Shaka had the confidence to go to Ben Gold with 4 minutes left even though Oso had no foul trouble.  They just needed quick change.

Love that they have that confidence in Benny!
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 07:52:59 PM »
Over several games MU seems to lose the first half and then come out gunning in the 2nd which I hope is due to the defense wearing down the opponent.  I don’t like giving the opposing team 7+ pts.

MU makes adjustments at half time.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 07:53:40 PM »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 07:55:50 PM »
MU makes adjustments at half time.   

Great but we still shouldn’t be that far back. That would imply bad game planning. Seems like the intensity only show up in the 2nd half. Not a great plan for tournament time.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 07:56:04 PM »

Laughed out loud so much I had to spell it out because LOL didn’t do it justice

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2023, 07:56:28 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2023, 07:56:40 PM »
Do we give up a basket ….and a foul later on an opponents inbound play……every. Single. Game?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 07:56:54 PM »
Great offense all night. Defense was great for the first 10 minutes of the second half. Keep gang rebounding and we’ll be in good shape.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2023, 07:57:01 PM »
Tyler Kolek may end going down as one of my all time favorites before his career is over. I have liked him from day one and I hope they have some real success in March to enhance his legacy. He is a special college basketball player.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2023, 07:57:35 PM »
4-1 to start conference.  2-1 on the road (still no game has been called like that Providence game.  >:()

Bring on the Hoyas and Huskies. I expect some home cooking for once.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 07:57:59 PM »
One really minor detail from tonight's game that I enjoyed was that Shaka had the confidence to go to Ben Gold with 4 minutes left even though Oso had no foul trouble.  They just needed quick change.

Love that they have that confidence in Benny!

One other detail. Did it seem like the kids on St. John liked Shaka and wanted to engage him?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »
Tyler Kolek may end going down as one of my all time favorites before his career is over. I have liked him from day one and I hope they have some real success in March to enhance his legacy. He is a special college basketball player.

To be fair, you thought Kur should get more of Oso's minutes.     ;D     Kolek is the guy everybody else hates.    Which is awesome.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2023, 07:59:30 PM »
I forgot how “interesting” the game chat thread is. Both Goose & I (couple others too) mentioned that Johnnie’s first half shooting was unsustainable, and MU picked up the intensity on defense. Very nice road win, that’s a money in the bank type win come March.

You made your bet at half, correct?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback