[Today at 11:36:18 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What a Win  (Read 8202 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: What a Win
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2023, 09:36:30 AM »
Watching UConn yesterday, they can be had.

9th place you say?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2023, 09:40:46 AM »
Exactly, BL - if Shaka comes to MU directly from VCU, maybe he’s still tempted to move on to the big state school with unlimited assets. Now that he’s been there he knows it’s not all that, which (hopefully) means he’ll be here for the long run.

The fact that Shaka had been to the other side and seen that the grass isn't always greener was a big factor in his candidacy. The goal has always been to find the right young coach who will be at MU for 20+ years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2023, 09:47:08 AM »
Wojo refused to listen and learn….that’s direct from admin and BOT connected people.

Shaka listens and learns. He also a darned good teacher.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2023, 10:05:47 AM »
It doesn't take much basketball knowledge to just see how much better Shaka's teams are from Wojo's.  The defensive rotations are, sometimes late, but usually spot on. Rarely are there breakdowns. And the offense is efficient AF even though they don't have an over abundance of natural scorers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »
Speaking of player development…

Imagine Stevie under Wojo.  No defensive fire & frustrating offense.  What a gift he, Oso & Kam have been. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2023, 11:05:07 AM »
BL

Al changed MU as an institution and I believe Shaka will do the same. I have no idea if he has Al’s success, but his character will be the selling tool the university can use to recruit students. That being said, I think he is going to win a helluva lot of basketball games and create a new generation of sweater vests.

I agree with this analysis.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2023, 11:11:16 AM »
I don't mean to speak ill of the departed staff. But what we have experienced over the last season and a half is why I hammered on identity and culture, and the lack of it under Wojo.

If we're being totally honest, the talent level is still probably in the middle third of the league. They're playing above it due to this staff's ability to clearly communicate, and build incredible connectivity amongst the players. A culture is in place and the guys are accountable to it. They play with the toughness that made MU's brand.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2023, 11:13:13 AM »
Y knot hammer anyway? Woj under performed and overstayed his welcome, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2023, 11:21:02 AM »
I don't mean to speak ill of the departed staff. But what we have experienced over the last season and a half is why I hammered on identity and culture, and the lack of it under Wojo.

If we're being totally honest, the talent level is still probably in the middle third of the league. They're playing above it due to this staff's ability to clearly communicate, and build incredible connectivity amongst the players. A culture is in place and the guys are accountable to it. They play with the toughness that made MU's brand.

I would also add connectivity amongst the students, staff, alumni and fans. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2023, 11:21:38 AM »
Watching UConn yesterday, they can be had.

9th place you say?

They look awfully good to me. That was a tough gym to play in @ X. Crowd was super. UCONN is for real. We will have our hands full.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2023, 11:47:13 AM »
They look awfully good to me. That was a tough gym to play in @ X. Crowd was super. UCONN is for real. We will have our hands full.
I year ha, 79. But let’s spin this bad boy. UConn gonna have their hands full with what Marquette is cookin’!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2023, 12:01:15 PM »
Dumb comment by Gillen.
To be fair, Muggs, that particular line was not delivered by Gillen (he’s not the sole dummy on that show).

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2023, 12:12:40 PM »
Speaking of player development…

Imagine Stevie under Wojo.  No defensive fire & frustrating offense.  What a gift he, Oso & Kam have been.

I was actually thinking yesterday of Chase Ross Year 1 vs. Dexter Akanno Year 2…

This x1000. The last coach never had a clear vision beyond the next season.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2023, 01:43:36 PM »

[/quote]

Beyond the next pay check.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2023, 02:04:27 PM »
Yep. If he can get the NCAAT success to come he'll be the guy MU has been searching for for 40 years.

Took a nice step towards the tourney today  .

I could not agree with you more!

This team is like Al’s old teams — defense first and tough as nails. We are building and while there will be up and down years, we are returning to what we once were.

I’m confident if we treat Shaka well, he will treat us very well. He recruits and develops talent. His teams have character and his players are team oriented!

I’m not yet ready to shout “we’re back” as we have had too many false starts since 1978. But, we are growing and getting there!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2023, 02:04:53 PM »

Clear as Grey Goose
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2023, 02:06:53 PM »
This x1000. The last coach never had a clear vision beyond the next season. game

FIFY
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2023, 02:28:38 PM »

A bit harsh. How'd you come to that conclusion?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2023, 02:37:32 PM »
A bit harsh. How'd you come to that conclusion?

I had the original quote.  I think he was way too competitive, always looking for short term edges that was detrimental in the long term.  The experience at Duke was unhelpful, never had to recruit on the edges or game plan against teams that had less talent.  Always felt like he never wanted to get out of the "Duke system" of how things should work, to make it work at Marquette. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2023, 02:53:19 PM »

Some Nova fans not taking the loss very well. 

https://twitter.com/NoEscalators/status/1609303806147284994

And I thought certain Scoopers were bad...
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2023, 02:55:45 PM »
I had the original quote.  I think he was way too competitive, always looking for short term edges that was detrimental in the long term.  The experience at Duke was unhelpful, never had to recruit on the edges or game plan against teams that had less talent.  Always felt like he never wanted to get out of the "Duke system" of how things should work, to make it work at Marquette.

You're good. Very good.

All I can add is that he had seven years to realize that it was not working and would never work. Although Einstein may never have said this, it was a classic example of his (alleged) definition of insanity- doing the same thing repeatably but expecting different results. The "Duke North" talk early in the Wojo era says it all.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2023, 03:26:44 PM »
I was only alluding to the "next paycheck" reference, the rest is fair game, but IMO that reference is a swipe at his character and especially without any evidence kind of unfair.

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2023, 01:05:55 PM »
Why can't you let Wojo go?  Get over it.  It was a bad marriage, MU thought they were getting son of K and Wojo thought he was going to Duke of the midwest.  both thoughts were wrong.  No need to assault his character.  whiney little bitches

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2023, 01:30:51 PM »
Some Nova fans not taking the loss very well. 

https://twitter.com/NoEscalators/status/1609303806147284994

And I thought certain Scoopers were bad...

Personally, I think a lot of their frustration is valid. They have an elite program and gave the keys to a complete nobody for no reason.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2023, 02:02:00 PM »
Personally, I think a lot of their frustration is valid. They have an elite program and gave the keys to a complete nobody for no reason.

He was Wright’s long time assistant. The reason was continuity.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow