[Today at 01:18:15 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:56:05 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Welcome to Dunk City  (Read 6843 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Welcome to Dunk City
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2022, 10:39:05 PM »
No way in hell I ever would have played for Wojo...the Hauser's shouldn't be questioned for leaving...but rather for why they ever chose MU.  Sam getting run with the Celtics is impressive...some time with TB was smart on his part.
I believe Sam was ok with MU
Goal is National Championship

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2022, 07:38:32 AM »
Only on Scoop do ppl chide KIDS for choosing to play for Tony Bennett or Tom Izzo. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2022, 07:41:04 AM »
Only on Scoop do ppl chide KIDS for choosing to play for Tony Bennett or Tom Izzo.

Only on Scoop do people chide KIDS for choosing to go to Marquette
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 07:43:47 AM »
Only on scoop do people celebrate those who left a potentially really good team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2022, 08:02:09 AM »

They weren’t kids. They were adult men who quit my team. I prefer rooting for the players who didn’t quit including the program’s leading scorer, consensus all American and BEPOY.

But other label that guy a chucker and prefer rooting for quitters. Pathetic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2022, 08:03:35 AM »
Thank goodness. I was worried a thread would go by without Wojo getting bashed!

Just a clarification, I was bashing (/teal) the idiot (/teal) who was already worried about too much talent next year....... ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 08:06:18 AM by pbiflyer »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2022, 08:04:32 AM »
I was worried a thread would go by without Wojo getting bashed!

No you weren't. You know better.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2022, 09:16:48 AM »
You really need to see a mental health professional

Coming from you this post is the height of comedy!!  JayBee made a dumb post.  Almost one as dumb as the garden variety offered up by this guy:

What an idiot

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2022, 09:29:10 AM »
They weren’t kids. They were adult men who quit my team. I prefer rooting for the players who didn’t quit including the program’s leading scorer, consensus all American and BEPOY.

But other label that guy a chucker and prefer rooting for quitters. Pathetic.

What’s pathetic and childish is an old man who should know better labeling freshman and junior college age athletes - who decided to transfer from a program led by a poor coach to one led by a Hall of Famer - “quitters”.

Markus was a great kid, a wonderful representative of Marquette. He won a lot of individual accolades and when he was “on” was really fun to watch. He was an elite shooter, by far the best chucker of the Wojo era. But he, like Carlino and Rowsey before him, was a chucker. No blame to him or the others. They were following orders, running what passed for an offense under Wojo.

This year’s team has one starter who is an above average shooter, one who can’t shoot at all and three who are below average. And we’re one of the top 10 offenses in college basketball, better than the one Wojo was able to assemble starting one above average shooter and maybe the two best shooters in Marquette history. Why? Because the ball and the players move, because everyone is a willing and good passer - instead of four guys standing around watching one guy dominate the ball. One is the kind of offense players run to, one is the kind that good, smart players who aren’t the designated Alpha run from.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2022, 09:39:19 AM »
Lenny

I went to the game with my 27y daughter on Tuesday and she could not stop talking about the ball is always moving on offense and with a purpose. I bitched years ago that MU did not have a system, outside of having a chucker, and that hurt the team. IMO, Markus would have thrived even more in this offense. I think he would have scored as much, if not more, with a lot less attempts.

In looking back, I feel badly that I did not enjoy and appreciate Howard's skills more. The style of play made me angry, and I took my frustrations out on the wrong person. The kid was a talent and that cannot be debated. How he was used definitely can be debated.

The offense under Shaka is going to attract big time players, if they are willing to play defense, and they will only get better. This style of play is what most kids dream about playing in and that is a positive. Sam or Joey would have scored a lot of points playing under Shaka.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2022, 09:44:58 AM »
What’s pathetic and childish is an old man who should know better labeling freshman and junior college age athletes - who decided to transfer from a program led by a poor coach to one led by a Hall of Famer - “quitters”.

Markus was a great kid, a wonderful representative of Marquette. He won a lot of individual accolades and when he was “on” was really fun to watch. He was an elite shooter, by far the best chucker of the Wojo era. But he, like Carlino and Rowsey before him, was a chucker. No blame to him or the others. They were following orders, running what passed for an offense under Wojo.

This year’s team has one starter who is an above average shooter, one who can’t shoot at all and three who are below average. And we’re one of the top 10 offenses in college basketball, better than the one Wojo was able to assemble starting one above average shooter and maybe the two best shooters in Marquette history. Why? Because the ball and the players move, because everyone is a willing and good passer - instead of four guys standing around watching one guy dominate the ball. One is the kind of offense players run to, one is the kind that good, smart players who aren’t the designated Alpha run from.

Spot on regarding the heart of the problem Lenny. As I have posted before, Charles Barkley's comment during a halftime show said it all (these words may not be exactly what he said, but are at least very close): "Marquette has no system. They need a system." Now we have one. Alleluia!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2022, 09:51:57 AM »
Yes

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2022, 09:55:07 AM »
Lenny

I went to the game with my 27y daughter on Tuesday and she could not stop talking about the ball is always moving on offense and with a purpose. I bitched years ago that MU did not have a system, outside of having a chucker, and that hurt the team. IMO, Markus would have thrived even more in this offense. I think he would have scored as much, if not more, with a lot less attempts.

In looking back, I feel badly that I did not enjoy and appreciate Howard's skills more. The style of play made me angry, and I took my frustrations out on the wrong person. The kid was a talent and that cannot be debated. How he was used definitely can be debated.

The offense under Shaka is going to attract big time players, if they are willing to play defense, and they will only get better. This style of play is what most kids dream about playing in and that is a positive. Sam or Joey would have scored a lot of points playing under Shaka.

Neither is athletic enough to play for Shaka. They were positionally great players but not going to turn you over and blaze down the court type of player. Not a drag on either, (I fall into "why are we still infatuated with our exes" in this argument) but wouldn't have been a fit.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2022, 09:56:32 AM »
On topic, but does anyone remember Markus, Joey or Sam dunking?  I remember them being dunked on.

With that, Wojo's teams didn't have problems on the offensive side.  His teams could not play a lick of defense. And for that, I am thankful for Shaka's system.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »

Mic drop.  100% on target as usual Lenny.

Lenny

Also spot on Goose.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »

lmao the revisionist history here is nuts.  Markus was a generational talent.  Comparing him to Carlino or Rowsey... or referring to him as a chucker is the stupidest crap I have read on this board in a month at least.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2022, 10:28:55 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2022, 10:34:50 AM »
Borderline top 25 team, top 10 offense, historic player development, and yet we've still got the folks that will spend most of their time bringing up the last coach and players that have been out of the program for years.  Peak Scoop right here.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2022, 10:38:15 AM »
Borderline top 25 team, top 10 offense, historic player development, and yet we've still got the folks that will spend most of their time bringing up the last coach and players that have been out of the program for years.  Peak Scoop right here.

It’s truly the best part of scoop. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2022, 10:44:24 AM »

Yessir. I loved watching Markus play, and I'm sickened that some alleged Marquette fans have made a four-year standout and All-American who represented our alma mater with dignity a target of their vitriol ... but he definitely had no conscience when it came to firing the rock.

But, of course, this has all been covered. As have the Hausers (who have their own thread on the Superbar). As has Shaka being a much better coach than Wojo (duh).

I know Wojo Sucks is low-hanging fruit, and it's irresistible to the likes of Ners, but again it would be nice having a few threads on The Al that don't devolve into this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2022, 10:49:32 AM »
Quote from: Lennys Tap link=topic=63937.msg1494652#msg1494652 [b
[/b]date=1672327750]

In Markus’ time at MU, “what passed for an offense under Wojo” produced the following Adj OE rankings:

That’s an insanely impressive run. We were excellent on offense with Markus.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2022, 10:51:41 AM »
lmao the revisionist history here is nuts.  Markus was a generational talent.  Comparing him to Carlino or Rowsey... or referring to him as a chucker is the stupidest crap I have read on this board in a month at least.

"I like Markus Howard, but he's like Matt Carlino" is so damn funny.

I get that people were disappointed during the Wojo regime, but let's not be basketball stupid here.  Markus wasn't good just because of Wojo's system. Markus was a legit college basketball star and a wonderful representative of the University.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:56:36 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2022, 11:06:24 AM »
I would like to apologize for making a lighthearted dig at a worry of next year. I had no idea it would morph to this. (I'm new here  ;D )

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2022, 11:31:49 AM »
Its just funny the Markus hate. I do agree with Goose I think he would thrived under Shaka as well and been even more efficient in that system.

But the fact he gets called a chucker is legit funny.

Anybody remember Carsen Edwards?!?! Look at that guys career FG% and 3PT% compared to Markus. Forget Powell at SHU??? Marcus Carr at his 100 schools thats still playing?

Those are just 3 random examples off top of my head of big time college basketball players and guys who can get buckets. All less efficienctly than Markus while also scoring less.

As stated, lets stop going basketball stupid.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2022, 11:34:41 AM »
In Markus’ time at MU, “what passed for an offense under Wojo” produced the following Adj OE rankings:

That’s an insanely impressive run. We were excellent on offense with Markus.

Even more impressive when you think a lot of that was half court as our poor D was not getting us much offense.