[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brad Stevens to coach Celtics  (Read 39832 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Brad Stevens to coach Celtics
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
How can 30 million, if true, not end well?

The $6 Million threshold is considered multi-generational wealth so anything beyond that is really monopoly money; this is more than a financial proposition. If you are a baseball man and the Yankees call you say yes. But you need to go into it with your eyes wide open. Casey Stengel won 10 pennants in 12 years, including 7 Rings, and still got fired after losing to the Pirates in Game 7. Stevens should hold no illusions that this will be anything similar to his environment at Butler.

I am told that Ainge is a very difficult person to work with and that Doc was not completely happy in Boston. I am guessing that Stevens was given wide latitude to run the business at Butler his way. It will not be the same at Boston. I wish him well but prefer he would have remained at Butler.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
The $6 Million threshold is considered multi-generational wealth so anything beyond that is really monopoly money; this is more than a financial proposition. If you are a baseball man and the Yankees call you say yes. But you need to go into it with your eyes wide open. Casey Stengel won 10 pennants in 12 years, including 7 Rings, and still got fired after losing to the Pirates in Game 7. Stevens should hold no illusions that this will be anything similar to his environment at Butler.

I am told that Ainge is a very difficult person to work with and that Doc was not completely happy in Boston. I am guessing that Stevens was given wide latitude to run the business at Butler his way. It will not be the same at Boston. I wish him well but prefer he would have remained at Butler.

Perfect timing for him.  He leaves the college game before he can get "tainted".  Let's remember, the last few years has meant a CBI berth, a 3rd place Horizon League finish followed by a tied for 3rd place A-10 finish, and now a step up to the bigs with not the greatest talent coming in.  He doesn't like recruiting, everyone expects him to fail at Boston so if he does, he just does what everyone expects and cashes in nicely.  In a few years, if he does fail, some school will hire him and he hires some top notch recruiters to do the work he doesn't like.

It's a no brainer for him.  Life changing money, no downside at all, protects him from potentially struggling at the college level and who knows, he might just do well in the pros. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
I like Brad Stevens. But I fear he has made a poor career decision. This will not end well for him.

I'd take that bet and then some.  Within 5 year he's either still in the NBA or coaching for millions at a top 20 NCAA program.  I fail to see that as a poor career decision.  And just for the effort, he gets $22million.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »
I'd take that bet and then some.  Within 5 year he's either still in the NBA or coaching for millions at a top 20 NCAA program.  I fail to see that as a poor career decision.  And just for the effort, he gets $22million.

Chicos, I agree with you. (Wow, that felt really unnatural).  :)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
This is a brilliant move by Danny Ainge and the Celtics.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »

Don't get me wrong - Stevens will do just fine professionally. But I think his stint in Boston will not be a highlight when he looks back. Two words: Rick Pitino.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
Don't get me wrong - Stevens will do just fine professionally. But I think his stint in Boston will not be a highlight when he looks back. Two words: Rick Pitino.

He came out just fine.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »
This whole dialogue is weird.  Heres the main points so far.

* The BE will suffer
* Stevens is turning into a lousy coach cause he can't recruit and will be outed in the BE.
* The Celtics paid a bagillion dollars to BS
* Everyone on the planet knows BS will fail horribly at Boston
* BS will land on his feet in college BBall cause everyone new he would fail in boston
* Boston execs are the only people on the planet who don't know BS will fail despite paying him a bagillion dollars.

Help me Mr. Wizard

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »

He came out just fine.

Precisely my point. But his stint in Boston was a low point in an otherwise charmed career.

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2013, 10:14:37 PM »
Pitino also used coaching in the NBA as a selling point to recruits when he returned to the college game.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2013, 01:04:15 AM »
Pitino also used coaching in the NBA as a selling point to recruits when he returned to the college game.

If he does I'll bet he talks a lot more about taking the Knicks to the playoffs than falling on his sword in Beantown.

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »
If he does I'll bet he talks a lot more about taking the Knicks to the playoffs than falling on his sword in Beantown.
Don't understand your point. His NBA experience helped make Rick who he is. I think his years in the NBA helped his legacy more than hurt it because people respect him more as a college coach and struggled with egos at the pro level. I think people wouldn't have respected him as much without the NBA opportunity.

Do you think he would have a better rep now if he wasn't ever a NBA coach?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2013, 07:03:01 AM »
Expectations for BS will be low. The C's job is to get bad so they can get good. BS may only be there for the bad part, but it sort of reminds me of what my father used to say: "People keep letting money affect their decision making."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
Perfect timing for him.  He leaves the college game before he can get "tainted".  Let's remember, the last few years has meant a CBI berth, a 3rd place Horizon League finish followed by a tied for 3rd place A-10 finish, and now a step up to the bigs with not the greatest talent coming in.  He doesn't like recruiting, everyone expects him to fail at Boston so if he does, he just does what everyone expects and cashes in nicely.  In a few years, if he does fail, some school will hire him and he hires some top notch recruiters to do the work he doesn't like.

It's a no brainer for him.  Life changing money, no downside at all, protects him from potentially struggling at the college level and who knows, he might just do well in the pros.  

Everyone is expecting him to fail at Boston? Give some names. Actually, I'm not expecting him to fail so there goes that theory.

The Celtics are in "blow-up and rebuild" mode. Is having a bad record during a rebuilding mode considered failing in your book? Stevens is a young guy who related well to his players and is an outstanding X and O guy. He's going to be taking over a young team who will, theoretically, be coachable. You think a grizzled vet like KG was going to listen to a baby-faced coach telling him what to do? I don't. Established NBA stars don't spend a lot of time being coached. Young players are more likely to listen and buy in.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:02:40 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Here's a question that hasn't been brought up/discussed yet, if Stevens had indicated he was leaving Butler at the end of their season (yes I know they were already announced to be in the Big East before our game with them) would Butler still have received an invitation to join the Big East? I'm curious what everyone thinks.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2013, 09:25:44 AM »
Yes, no different than MU bein' invited to the Big East years ago, with or without Crean. No coach is bigger than the school or program.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOO

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
Butler did not get invited because of Stevens.  They get the invite either way.   However, this makes it a bit more risky, but that is why the "committed to high level basketball" as an institution was a major priority for the BE invites.  Look at Creighton.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »

I fail to see the logic, Rick Pitino just won a national title and is in the Hall of Fame.  How did the Boston stint hurt him?  If anything, he was able to tell recruits I know what it takes to get you into the NBA because I know what the NBA demands.  Stevens can now add that to his resume.  I see zero downside here for Stevens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
Yes, no different than MU bein' invited to the Big East years ago, with or without Crean. No coach is bigger than the school or program.

99% agree with this. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
I fail to see the logic, Rick Pitino just won a national title and is in the Hall of Fame.  How did the Boston stint hurt him?  If anything, he was able to tell recruits I know what it takes to get you into the NBA because I know what the NBA demands.  Stevens can now add that to his resume.  I see zero downside here for Stevens.

The only thing you could argue is that if Pitino stayed at Kentucky, he might be on his fourth or fifth national championship.  

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Butler did not get invited because of Stevens.  They get the invite either way.   However, this makes it a bit more risky, but that is why the "committed to high level basketball" as an institution was a major priority for the BE invites.  Look at Creighton.
I not sure that is true. Many people feel that it was MU's 2003 final four appearance that got us into Big East. Without two final fours, Butler would still be in the Horizon. My guess is that, if Stevens had left two years ago, the league right now would be 10 Catholic Schools.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »

The only thing you could argue is that if Pitino stayed at Kentucky, he might be on his fourth or fifth national championship.  

Perhaps, or maybe he got out of dodge before the posse arrived.   ;)  Besides, the Italian restaurants in Lexington don't offer "services" like Boston or Louisville.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
I not sure that is true. Many people feel that it was MU's 2003 final four appearance that got us into Big East. Without two final fours, Butler would still be in the Horizon. My guess is that, if Stevens had left two years ago, the league right now would be 10 Catholic Schools.

Timing in life is everything.  Incidentally, one need to just look at the former Big East commissioner's comments about Marquette, TC and the Final Four to determine how big of a deal it was to get us into the Big East.  It was VERY BIG deal.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
This whole dialogue is weird.  Heres the main points so far.

* The BE will suffer
* Stevens is turning into a lousy coach cause he can't recruit and will be outed in the BE.
* The Celtics paid a bagillion dollars to BS
* Everyone on the planet knows BS will fail horribly at Boston
* BS will land on his feet in college BBall cause everyone new he would fail in boston
* Boston execs are the only people on the planet who don't know BS will fail despite paying him a bagillion dollars.

Help me Mr. Wizard

I'll take a stab at this.  I don't think it is that they are expecting him to fail, just that it wouldn't surprise anyone if he did and they wouldn't hold it against him.

The BS hire came out of left field for Boston.  They are in complete rebuild mode.  That is the perfect time to take a chance on a high-risk high-reward candidate.  If things go well they have a young Popovich.  If things go poorly it facilitates their getting the number 1 overall pick....win/win.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
Don't understand your point. His NBA experience helped make Rick who he is. I think his years in the NBA helped his legacy more than hurt it because people respect him more as a college coach and struggled with egos at the pro level. I think people wouldn't have respected him as much without the NBA opportunity.

Do you think he would have a better rep now if he wasn't ever a NBA coach?
Not buying that Slick Rick has that great a rep. Yeah, he is a good coach, but his little dalliance at Porcini's doesn't help. Wonder if he learned that move while in the NBA?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback