[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US Economy thread  (Read 20713 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: US Economy thread
« Reply #750 on: May 21, 2024, 09:12:01 PM »
The sharp red line up at the end is because the government gave people money + spending crashed during the pandemic (which fed the inflation when the spending restarted). In my opinion it’s kind of silly to feel good about this from a political standpoint.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 09:18:24 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #751 on: May 21, 2024, 09:21:45 PM »
I don’t know if squealing louder gets the job done, but if I were an incumbent in an election year and two thirds of the electorate thought I was doing a crappy job on the economy that might get my attention. Telling those people how good they have it doesn’t appear to be doing much good anywhere except Scoop.

You can only tell the electorate that if rates get cut that the economy will overheat and inflation will pop so many times. It's not like they (or like half the people on scoop) understand the economy or inflation anyway. The only way to improve the situation for the majority of the electorate is to raise rates, or to wait. The fed is hoping that waiting will do the trick, along with using their words to temper manipulate market expectations.

Not that any of that has to do with the executive branch.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 09:23:52 PM by Skatastrophy »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #752 on: May 21, 2024, 09:35:08 PM »
You can only tell the electorate that if rates get cut that the economy will overheat and inflation will pop so many times. It's not like they (or like half the people on scoop) understand the economy or inflation anyway. The only way to improve the situation for the majority of the electorate is to raise rates, or to wait. The fed is hoping that waiting will do the trick, along with using their words to temper manipulate market expectations.

Not that any of that has to do with the executive branch.

Except that the president (with the consent of the Senate) names the Fed Chairman.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #753 on: May 21, 2024, 09:36:33 PM »
Except that the president (with the consent of the Senate) names the Fed Chairman.

And JPow has been doing a bang up job for 6 years now.

Edit: Here's a rundown of how unbelievably good the US economy is doing - https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/notes/feds-notes/why-is-the-u-s-gdp-recovering-faster-than-other-advanced-economies-20240517.html

People in the US are feeling very minor pain in the recovery since covid compared to their peers in other countries. Again, though, the electorate won't care about that stuff.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 09:44:12 PM by Skatastrophy »

feedback