Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Al Gets A Facelift  (Read 18330 times)

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Al Gets A Facelift
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
The Al that is...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquettes-al-mcguire-center-gets-a-facelift-b99365518z1-278415131.html

Hard to believe, but Marquette's Al McGuire Center, built for $31 million as a state-of-the-art athletics complex, is almost 11 years old.

Upon his hiring last April, coach Steve Wojciechowski appreciated the building's value as one of college basketball's better training facilities, but he also noted that it had become dated.

Six months later, Wojciechowski's priority to have the Al's all-sports weight room, men's basketball locker room and men's basketball practice gym totally renovated is virtually complete.

The locker room was gutted and fitted with blue leather chairs, top-shelf wooden lockers, blue-and-gold mood lighting and a 90-inch high-definition TV in a large oval-shaped space.

The bathroom's fixtures are straight out of a boutique hotel with frosted-glass, MU-engraved doors for the individual showers.

The Kasten Gym, where the Golden Eagles practice, has a new floor and a cleaner, more modern look.

The weight room has been fitted with all new equipment. Each station is equipped with a computer that registers the players' progress.

The hallways are adorned with Marquette's basketball heritage, from a glass case featuring its jerseys through the years to a mural homage to its All-Americans. The 1977 national championship trophy is in an alcove just inside the locker room.

"The Al has been a tremendous home to our basketball program for a long time," Wojciechowski said. "But like any home that's over a decade old and has been used hard, it needed a facelift.

"It needed to be upgraded, which is what we did. With the upgrades we wanted to celebrate the past and create a great working environment for our current players. We wanted all those things to be simple, classy and sharp."

Wojciechowski said he did not know the cost of the project, which he characterized as a "great investment" for the private school.

"It's quite an upgrade," he said. "The intent of the Al was to be a premier training facility and that was accomplished. But as people are trying to catch up with you and the building is getting a little older, you've got to figure out ways to stay on the cutting edge of what you're doing.

"This summer was a good first step for us remaking the Al into one of the premier training facilities in the United States."

The upgrades are also an important recruiting tool.

"Two areas," Wojciechowski said. "One, we wanted our guys to have a home. They spend more time in the Al than anywhere else. We also wanted to create a situation where when kids we are recruiting come here, they recognize that it's an elite-level training facility, which it is."

Wojciechowski recently had former All-American and current Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers in for a preview. A quote by Rivers — "I came to Marquette University wanting to be a basketball player, and got that and a lot more" — is featured below the neon-lit players entrance to the locker room that Wojciechowski said is much better than the team's dressing quarters at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.

Whereas the gym once had pennants featuring every Marquette player who had made it to the NBA, it now showcases contemporary stars such as Dwyane Wade and Jimmy Butler, as well as a mural featuring Rivers when he coached the Boston Celtics to an NBA title.

"There is a ton of history here with our program," Wojciechowski said. "We want that to be celebrated in the classiest, most professional way."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Al Gets A Facelift
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
Interesting .. and reminds me .. we toured MU's locker room at the Bradley Center last month .. what was odd was the display case of several trophies from the BE .. and the 1977 championship.

I guess I found it odd that they would place these trophies in a spot that only about 30 people would ever see, for a couple dozen dates a year.  

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
Are there really not duplicates of those trophies in the Al?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
Sounds like they did a solid job clearly on our way to becoming SLU

I think the most surprising part of the article was that Wojo has been here for six months. Really hasn't seem like that long. Thank god basketball season is here!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
I love how this is written like this was all Wojo's doing.  I have to believe these plans were in the works for at least a year. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JPJ4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:44:39 AM »
I love how this is written like this was all Wojo's doing.  I have to believe these plans were in the works for at least a year. 

You would be wrong. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
You would be wrong. 

Amazing how money and vision move things along
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »
Was this another thing that Buzz wanted and Cords wouldn't give him?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
Was this another thing that Buzz wanted and Cords wouldn't give him?

I never heard that, but I suppose it could be true.  I don't think Buzz was all about traditional* recruiting concepts like high class facilities, he lived on the quirk recruiting methodologies.  Also think you might be right, not because he wanted it for recruits but because it showed he was in charge.

*this is meant as the literal definition of the word, not the Chico's meme use of the word.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »
If I'm wrong, that's great but I just have a hard time believing this concept went from idea to done all since April 15th.  If so that is very impressive for the University.  Most organizations of their size cannot maneuver so quickly.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 09:04:37 AM »
This only happens because of where Wojo came from. He was around premier facilities and deep tradition at Duke and it appears he is trying to get MU to focus even more on it's strengths. Though it sounds like Crean and Buzz connected with alumni too, hopefully Wojo can really turn that tradition into even more of a competitive advantage.

I went to a Duke game last year. I saw the Hall of Fame connected to Cameron where they showcase their trophies in a vibrant and fan thrilling way. I had heard about all the Cameron crazies, the endowment riches the and the top notch training facility stories. Those stories become even bigger when you experience it all in person - for fans and recruits. Go get em coach!

JPJ4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »
If I'm wrong, that's great but I just have a hard time believing this concept went from idea to done all since April 15th.  If so that is very impressive for the University.  Most organizations of their size cannot maneuver so quickly.

Even more impressive when you have to have it completed by a specific date........To maybe show it off to somebody?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »
Interesting .. and reminds me .. we toured MU's locker room at the Bradley Center last month .. what was odd was the display case of several trophies from the BE .. and the 1977 championship.

I guess I found it odd that they would place these trophies in a spot that only about 30 people would ever see, for a couple dozen dates a year.  

Or did MU place the trophies there just for the Open Doors Milwaukee event - - so that more people would see the hardware.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
perhaps they were moved from the Al because of the renovation work being done and they would have been in the way

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »
Who was the plastic surgeon?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »
This is nice and all but it would really be nice if they could use some of that money to put the rec center at least into the 20th century.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »
This is nice and all but it would really be nice if they could use some of that money to put the rec center at least into the 20th century.

When the rec center starts generating millions of dollars of revenue, it will get a facelift as well.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
When the rec center starts generating millions of dollars of revenue, it will get a facelift as well.

Yea but for a medium sized university its pretty awful. Bradley University down in Peoria is way nicer than MUs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »

Apples to oranges.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure this is already on the to-do list.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »

Well, I've visited several college campuses over the past year with my son, and other schools seem to be investing pretty heavily in rec centers.  It's an arms race of sorts.  Apparently, they think that there is some good reason to spend that money, even if they don't directly generate millions of dollars of revenue.

Honestly, I'm amazed when I visit campuses and see the dorms and rec centers, and then I realize that Marquette hasn't built a new dorm or rec center since I was there in the late 80s/early 90s.  Marquette is a great school, but some of the facilities have fallen well behind other comparable schools.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 11:00:13 AM »
Well, I've visited several college campuses over the past year with my son, and other schools seem to be investing pretty heavily in rec centers.  It's an arms race of sorts.  Apparently, they think that there is some good reason to spend that money, even if they don't directly generate millions of dollars of revenue.

Honestly, I'm amazed when I visit campuses and see the dorms and rec centers, and then I realize that Marquette hasn't built a new dorm or rec center since I was there in the late 80s/early 90s.  Marquette is a great school, but some of the facilities have fallen well behind other comparable schools.

Isn't mccabe new? And Mashuda was converted from a hotel
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
Yea but for a medium sized university its pretty awful. Bradley University down in Peoria is way nicer than MUs.

Not saying it's not necessary.  I am saying that it shouldn't be built with basketball money.

It's the same argument as the people who say the basketball budget should be slashed and that money should be used for need-based scholarships.

And Bradley has to have a nice rec center...because it's Bradley...and it's in Peoria...
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
Isn't mccabe new? And Mashuda was converted from a hotel

I lived in Mashuda in 1989.  Yes, McCabe apparently is new.  I wasn't even aware of it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »

Also Abbotsford apartments were renovated and turned into dorms. Straz was renovated in the early 2000s.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »

YES! I have many friends who say that they liked Marquette (when visiting) but the facilities are far behind other schools that they looked at. Am I crazy to think MU has plenty of money to improve their facilities, but just value other things? Is Lovell on this? Does he care? I heard McCormick is the next project (knock down). Am I crazy to think that new dorms and a nice rec plex on campus is a huge asset to have?

Actually interested in what y'all think.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
I think Marquette had a lot of needs and has invested in their academic buildings first and foremost.  New law school, engineering, dental.  Those are high revenue areas, and that was was probably driving their thinking.

While there are still obvious need in the academic areas, the sciences in particular, I am sure that they fully understand how behind the curve they are in some of the non-academic areas and will be looking at those.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »
YES! I have many friends who say that they liked Marquette (when visiting) but the facilities are far behind other schools that they looked at. Am I crazy to think MU has plenty of money to improve their facilities, but just value other things? Is Lovell on this? Does he care? I heard McCormick is the next project (knock down). Am I crazy to think that new dorms and a nice rec plex on campus is a huge asset to have?

Alumni association would sh*t a brick if they tear down Mckormick.  In fact I heard they tried once and that's what happened.  A tear down of OD would be better or at least complete gut of the interior.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
???  Why would the Alumni Association care about McCormick?  And why would that prevent the University from doing it anyway?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »

I agree that some new dorms and a nice rec center would be nice assets on campus (despite the fact that they might not directly generate any revenue).  I'm not sure I agree that Marquette "has plenty of money" for such projects.  I simply don't know whether that is true or not.  These are big ticket items.

We have a friend who visited, and I specifically asked about the dorms.  He said they were not nearly as nice as most other schools they had visited.  That said, his son was favorably impressed with Marquette overall, so perhaps it's not that big of an issue.  I realize that I'm judging the Marquette dorms unfairly based upon how they were when I was there.  I imagine there have been updates/upgrades in all of them including nicer lobbies and less "institutional" dining halls, but there are surprisingly few pictures online.  These are areas where most of the dorms we've visited distinguish themselves from what I remember of Marquette.  The rooms themselves aren't all that nice wherever we go (but few are as bad as McCormick).  But unless there have been massive changes at the rec center (which is certainly possible), it's way behind many that I've been seeing.  And honestly, this is something that my son looks at even more than the dorms.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »
???  Why would the Alumni Association care about McCormick?  And why would that prevent the University from doing it anyway?

Man I worked at Phonathon and you'd be surprised the stuff that people use as a reason not to donate and when you get a place as full of memories as Mckormick the alumni association (or even just a large enough group of alumni) could stop donations.  I mean yall still complain about the Warriors change and that was just a name 20 years ago, yall still complain about missing blows, hags, the lanch etc think about tearing down the dorm that people fight over to get into their freshman years that's known as the beer can and is one of the MU icons.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Am I crazy to think MU has plenty of money to improve their facilities, but just value other things?

Am I crazy to think that new dorms and a nice rec plex on campus is a huge asset to have?

You're crazy.

I know capital investments are sexy, but I'm more concerned about the tuition growth, sustainability of that growth, and the ROI on a degree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 12:14:14 PM »
Man I worked at Phonathon and you'd be surprised the stuff that people use as a reason not to donate and when you get a place as full of memories as Mckormick the alumni association (or even just a large enough group of alumni) could stop donations.  I mean yall still complain about the Warriors change and that was just a name 20 years ago, yall still complain about missing blows, hags, the lanch etc think about tearing down the dorm that people fight over to get into their freshman years that's known as the beer can and is one of the MU icons. 

Yeah alumni say they are going to do a lot of things.  But my general perception is that there would not be a lot of outrage at all if McCormick comes down, and would not lead to a great deal of withheld donations.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »
I agree that some new dorms and a nice rec center would be nice assets on campus (despite the fact that they might not directly generate any revenue).  I'm not sure I agree that Marquette "has plenty of money" for such projects.  I simply don't know whether that is true or not.  These are big ticket items.

We have a friend who visited, and I specifically asked about the dorms.  He said they were not nearly as nice as most other schools they had visited.  That said, his son was favorably impressed with Marquette overall, so perhaps it's not that big of an issue.  I realize that I'm judging the Marquette dorms unfairly based upon how they were when I was there.  I imagine there have been updates/upgrades in all of them including nicer lobbies and less "institutional" dining halls, but there are surprisingly few pictures online.  These are areas where most of the dorms we've visited distinguish themselves from what I remember of Marquette.  The rooms themselves aren't all that nice wherever we go (but few are as bad as McCormick).  But unless there have been massive changes at the rec center (which is certainly possible), it's way behind many that I've been seeing.  And honestly, this is something that my son looks at even more than the dorms.

Dorms are a huge deal for colleges and universities now.  With computer availability, students spend more time in their dorms than ever before and Marquette has to start to upgrade to compete.  Suited dorms are a need and if you look at some of the UW system school master planning, new dorms and dorm upgrades are the top priorities and adding food service to these dorms are a big advantage as well.

Being a non-alum and looking at things from that viewpoint, I'd say dorm upgrades are maybe the most important item for Marquette right now, IMHO.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »

+1 I guess we need a new Jes Res for the 6 (or whatever) total Jesuits in the city of Milwaukee before we update our 100 year old dorms (I'm thinking Tower).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »

Yeah alumni say they are going to do a lot of things.  But my general perception is that there would not be a lot of outrage at all if McCormick comes down, and would not lead to a great deal of withheld donations.

I know we had an actual auto response at Phonathon for people who said they wouldn't donatae because of the name change and another who said no because we sold the medical school, another for dropping the dental hygiene school.  I mean people are sensitive to weird stuff.  I wouldn't be surprised if tearing down that dorm (more so than any other except maybe Schroeder) would rile up a lot of people.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
Man I worked at Phonathon and you'd be surprised the stuff that people use as a reason not to donate and when you get a place as full of memories as Mckormick the alumni association (or even just a large enough group of alumni) could stop donations.  I mean yall still complain about the Warriors change and that was just a name 20 years ago, yall still complain about missing blows, hags, the lanch etc think about tearing down the dorm that people fight over to get into their freshman years that's known as the beer can and is one of the MU icons.  

Even folks that have fond memories of McCormick agree that it is a crappy facility, and would want their own kids to live in some place that's nicer.

It's all about the cash.  The University has its own priorities in terms of building on campus, but if someone wrote a check today for new dorm or fitness center, there would be shovels in the ground by the end of the school year.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
I know we had an actual auto response at Phonathon for people who said they wouldn't donatae because of the name change and another who said no because we sold the medical school, another for dropping the dental hygiene school.  I mean people are sensitive to weird stuff.  I wouldn't be surprised if tearing down that dorm (more so than any other except maybe Schroeder) would rile up a lot of people.

If the university only made decisions that it knew would piss off zero alumni, the campus would be the same as it was in 1885.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »
I think Marquette had a lot of needs and has invested in their academic buildings first and foremost.  New law school, engineering, dental.  Those are high revenue areas, and that was was probably driving their thinking.

While there are still obvious need in the academic areas, the sciences in particular, I am sure that they fully understand how behind the curve they are in some of the non-academic areas and will be looking at those.

The business school is an embarrassment as well. If the school is looking for a money maker, I would look there before a lot of others.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
Even folks that have fond memories of McCormick agree that it is a crappy facility, and would want their own kids to live in some place that's nicer.

I have fond memories of McCormick.  I think it's a dump.  I'm astounded that people "fight" to get into McCormick.  I have no specific knowledge of the situation, but I have to think that this is related to the location, the fact that it's co-ed, and because it has its own dining hall -- not the dorm itself.  I suspect that if there was  a new co-ed freshman dorm in a good location (e.g., across from Schroeder) with a dining hall, people would be fighting to avoid McCormick.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 12:37:12 PM »
I think the wehr buildings and lalumiere (forgot how to spell both these) need to be addressed those are nasty looking buildings that are eye sores.  

I have fond memories of McCormick.  I think it's a dump.  I'm astounded that people "fight" to get into McCormick.  I have no specific knowledge of the situation, but I have to think that this is related to the location, the fact that it's co-ed, and because it has its own dining hall -- not the dorm itself.  I suspect that if there was  a new co-ed freshman dorm in a good location (e.g., across from Schroeder) with a dining hall, people would be fighting to avoid McCormick.

As probably one of the younger non student posters here I can say I remember it because my tour guide said if I'm interested in partying mckormicks where to go. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
The business school is an embarrassment as well. If the school is looking for a money maker, I would look there before a lot of others.

Per President Lovell's AMA on Reddit, it is at the top of the priority list.  Too bad all the Bus Ad alumni are too pissed off about the Lanche closing down to donate any money.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 12:50:42 PM »
I think the wehr buildings and lalumiere (forgot how to spell both these) need to be addressed those are nasty looking buildings that are eye sores.  

As probably one of the younger non student posters here I can say I remember it because my tour guide said if I'm interested in partying mckormicks where to go. 

Lalumiere is considered architecturally distinctive and isn't going anywhere.  The Wehr buildings are dated-looking aesthetically (and the same design as every other college building in the U.S. that was put up between 1955 and 1972), but they are perfectly functional as classroom buildings. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Lalumiere is considered architecturally distinctive and isn't going anywhere.  The Wehr buildings are dated-looking aesthetically (and the same design as every other college building in the U.S. that was put up between 1955 and 1972), but they are perfectly functional as classroom buildings. 

It's such an eye sore though. I mean at least paint it or something
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:55 PM »

Lalumiere is a functional classroom building for the humanities and social sciences.  Probably the last building on any college campus that needs to be replaced.

The Wehrs are great as a classroom building.  But are the labs up to date?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »

I dunno about the Wehr buildings. They're pretty crummy on the inside too. Especially the labs. If you wanna look at a great building on the inside but meh on the outside go to Cramer. The exercise phys, PT aND psychology labs are all wonderfully renovated or new. That the model MU should go for.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »
I dunno about the Wehr buildings. They're pretty crummy on the inside too. Especially the labs. If you wanna look at a great building on the inside but meh on the outside go to Cramer. The exercise phys, PT aND psychology labs are all wonderfully renovated or new. That the model MU should go for.

I just wonder how much Marquette feels that the sciences are part of its target audience.  Upgrading facilities for law, dental and engineering, and planning upgrades for business, make a great deal of sense.  Laboratory upgrades are real expensive though.  And is MU going to pour a bunch of money into those programs if they don't have a great deal of physics, chemistry and biology majors?  Maybe just laboratory upgrades versus something completely new?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »

I just wonder how much Marquette feels that the sciences are part of its target audience.  Upgrading facilities for law, dental and engineering, and planning upgrades for business, make a great deal of sense.  Laboratory upgrades are real expensive though.  And is MU going to pour a bunch of money into those programs if they don't have a great deal of physics, chemistry and biology majors?  Maybe just laboratory upgrades versus something completely new?

I mean the labs need to be addressed one way or another and MU doesn't mind spending money on the sciences. There are a ton of biomed majors and MU has spent major money on PT and exercise phys in recent years. They're a top 15 in the nation PT school.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »
I never heard that, but I suppose it could be true.  I don't think Buzz was all about traditional* recruiting concepts like high class facilities, he lived on the quirk recruiting methodologies.  Also think you might be right, not because he wanted it for recruits but because it showed he was in charge.

*this is meant as the literal definition of the word, not the Chico's meme use of the word.

Back to the original topic...

My guess is that Buzz was pretty impressed with the Al when he first came here (only a few years after it was built) relative to his previous experiences, and then he probably got a little used to it as it aged around him.

Wojo, on the other hand, comes in with (1) a fresh set of eyes that (2) are used to the trappings at one of the richest programs in the country.  Those two pieces combined let him see the relative need for updates and gave him the vision of things to change based on, I'm sure, how things are set up at Duke.  Its one of those situations that I think his background will be great--even if Al becomes a copycat of some the Duke facilities.  

It just shows the difference between bringing in an assistant fresh from one of the top programs in the country as opposed to Buzz's pull-myself-up-by-own-bootstraps background.  I like to see that Wojo hit the ground running on this stuff--gives me a sense that he has a distinct vision about what he wants done with the program.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 01:44:42 PM »
Are there any Title IX implications from this?  Does the women's team have a comparable locker room with leather chairs, blue and gold mood lighting and a 90" TV?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
+1 I guess we need a new Jes Res for the 6 (or whatever) total Jesuits in the city of Milwaukee before we update our 100 year old dorms (I'm thinking Tower).

the  new Jes Res is entirely funded by a donation specifically earmarked for that project.

What would you have had Marquette do, turn down the donation?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:51:59 PM by Bleutellenson »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
the entire  new Jes Res project is entirely funded by a donation specifically earmarked for that project.

Not only that, the maintenance costs of the current Jes Res are high and getting worse as the building ages.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 01:56:53 PM »
the  new Jes Res is entirely funded by a donation specifically earmarked for that project.

Yea, unfortunately that was the case. I just wish that particular donor would have put that money into something more useful for the University.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
Yea, unfortunately that was the case. I just wish that particular donor would have put that money into something more useful for the University.

I heard President Lovell say at the Chicago Meeting that he wants to make Marquette the top Jesuit University in the U.S., and that the new Jes Res will help attract the top Jesuit scholars.  Makes sense to me.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »
Per President Lovell's AMA on Reddit, [a new business school] is at the top of the priority list.

The Wehr buildings are dated-looking aesthetically...but they are perfectly functional as classroom buildings.  

This is from Lovell's AMA on Reddit yesterday:  "We are getting ready to complete a master plan for campus, and both the Biology building and the Business School will be near the top of the list for new academic buildings on campus."  This was in response to a question about building a new business school.  So, even though the question focused on the B School, he added the reference to the Biology Building.  Obviously, that suggests that it's also at the top of the priority list for academic buildings.

I also note that this answer specifically refers to "new academic buildings" which doesn't necessarily mean that these are priorities over non-academic buildings such as dorms and/or rec centers.  In fact, in response to a question about his plans for improvements to "academics, facilities and campus life" he began with, "Well, you need to focus on making the student experience second to none. And that includes utilizing more technology for delivering content in the classroom, having dormitory, recreational and other facilities that fit the current needs of the student body..."  This suggests (to me at least) that there might be some non-academic projects that also are priorities.  I'm guessing that Marquette is going to be spending a lot of money in the next 10-15 years.

Edited to add:  I see he also addressed dorms directly:  "Well, when I look at the dormitories on campus, there are a number of them that are aging. So our goal, over the next 6 months, is to develop a plan for addressing the needed upgrades in the dormitories on campus."

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:18:15 PM by StillAWarrior »

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

You're telling me that the university does nothing to prioritize how it seeks out major donations for new buildings?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »
I heard President Lovell say at the Chicago Meeting that he wants to make Marquette the top Jesuit University in the U.S., and that the new Jes Res will help attract the top Jesuit scholars.  Makes sense to me.

If we even get mentioned in the same breath as BC and Georgetown Id be ok with that let alone being the best Jesuit school in the US
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »

I dunno, personally I don't see the appeal, but that's just me and my opinion. Why not just upgrade other buildings to attract the best scholars, not just Jesuit.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
You're telling me that the university does nothing to prioritize how it seeks out major donations for new buildings?

I'm sure there is prioritization. I'm also sure there are many alumni who have an affinity for the Jesuits, and wanted to give back to the Jesuit community, whether or not its a high priority for the university as a whole.

Remember, no Jesuits, no Marquette. A nice home for them isn't that outrageous IMO.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Not saying it's not necessary.  I am saying that it shouldn't be built with basketball money.

It's the same argument as the people who say the basketball budget should be slashed and that money should be used for need-based scholarships.

And Bradley has to have a nice rec center...because it's Bradley...and it's in Peoria...

Marquette Rec Center is a joke. With the competition for students getting more fierce, the school needs to step up.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
If you're bitching about dorms, haven't been to ND or the majority of B1G schools in the last ten years.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
If you're bitching about dorms, haven't been to ND or the majority of B1G schools in the last ten years.

Basic freshman dorms at Illinois, NU and SIU>>>Marquette. Straz and McCabe are nice. Abbotsford is decent too but other than that...Not much going for MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »
Basic freshman dorms at Illinois, NU and SIU>>>Marquette. Straz and McCabe are nice. Abbotsford is decent too but other than that...Not much going for MU.

Woah Schroeder is no worse than witty hall @madison. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »
Are there any Title IX implications from this?  Does the women's team have a comparable locker room with leather chairs, blue and gold mood lighting and a 90" TV?

That is a good question.  From what I understand about Title IX, competition sites play a role, but I am not sure if that extends to practice sites.  My guess is no because Marquette understands this stuff.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2014, 05:46:35 PM »
I dunno, personally I don't see the appeal, but that's just me and my opinion. Why not just upgrade other buildings to attract the best scholars, not just Jesuit.

Because there are no Jesuits living in the Wehr Physics building.  If you say that you need good dorms to attract top students, you can't argue that you don't need a good Jes Res to attract top Jesuit scholars.
Have some patience, FFS.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
Man I worked at Phonathon and you'd be surprised the stuff that people use as a reason not to donate and when you get a place as full of memories as Mckormick the alumni association (or even just a large enough group of alumni) could stop donations.

My reason for not donating for Phonathon: it's not 1990, use e-mail.   :D  Seriously though, I leave my e-mail when I donate online every year, it's on file with the AA and probably several other places.  Yet I get 100 phone calls, a dozen letters by the pony express, and zero e-mails. 

This is from Lovell's AMA on Reddit yesterday:  "We are getting ready to complete a master plan for campus, and both the Biology building and the Business School will be near the top of the list for new academic buildings on campus."  This was in response to a question about building a new business school.  So, even though the question focused on the B School, he added the reference to the Biology Building.  Obviously, that suggests that it's also at the top of the priority list for academic buildings.

Edited to add:  I see he also addressed dorms directly:  "Well, when I look at the dormitories on campus, there are a number of them that are aging. So our goal, over the next 6 months, is to develop a plan for addressing the needed upgrades in the dormitories on campus."

Awesome news.  Pres. Lovell has been incredibly active.  Glad to see he knows that the dorms need upgrading.  Even more pleased that he knows the business school needs an upgrade.  Did grad school at Villanova, and the VSB facilities are light years ahead Straz.

Not only freshman dorms, but also considering sophomore dorms - since a good number of schools don't require sophomores live in dorms, they've at least got to make them as comfortable as Straz and McCabe.  It's a tough sell to prospective students of the "entitlement" generation that odds are good they'll go from McCormick to Schroeder versus a nicer, newer dorm to an apartment. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »
Been a while since I've spent time in a Marquette dorm, but I can say with 100% certainty that NU's dorms suck major ass.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:00 AM »

You just made a powerful enemy, my erstwhile friend.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »

Yeah, but the dorms at Marquette are eyesores. At least at ND they look appealing from the outside.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2014, 12:32:33 AM »
I'm sure there is prioritization. I'm also sure there are many alumni who have an affinity for the Jesuits, and wanted to give back to the Jesuit community, whether or not its a high priority for the university as a whole.

Remember, no Jesuits, no Marquette. A nice home for them isn't that outrageous IMO.

Count me as one of those.

There is no doubt that the university prioritizes its fundraising channels.  And maybe a new JesRes was high on their list, maybe not.  But if a donation for a new JesRes falls in their lap, they're going to use it.

At the very least it's one more new, nice-looking building on campus

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
Count me as one of those.

There is no doubt that the university prioritizes its fundraising channels.  And maybe a new JesRes was high on their list, maybe not.  But if a donation for a new JesRes falls in their lap, they're going to use it.

At the very least it's one more new, nice-looking building on campus

Right, and the building for the current Jes Res is 80 years old. So it would need to be replaced eventually, and I'm sure maintenance costs were piling up. It is also about twice as big as it needs to be, for the number of Jesuits we have on campus.

The new Jes Res will be smaller, more efficient, and is entirely funded by a donation. So not only will it be a new shiny building on campus, it will also lower maintenance and utility costs for the university. Its a win-win.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
Right, and the building for the current Jes Res is 80 years old. So it would need to be replaced eventually, and I'm sure maintenance costs were piling up. It is also about twice as big as it needs to be, for the number of Jesuits we have on campus.

The new Jes Res will be smaller, more efficient, and is entirely funded by a donation. So not only will it be a new shiny building on campus, it will also lower maintenance and utility costs for the university. Its a win-win.

I also think that this was probably part of the long-term plan for the campus to move it from the current location to free that space up for something else.  My guess is that by moving the footprint of the JesRes, it also opens up possibilities down the road for long-term growth and expansion, especially in that crucial area that connects the AMU and campus life side of campus with Raynor and the academic side.  Currently, the JesRes splits that area up, and not with anything that is used by most of the campus population.  So, I think this will help overall with the flow of campus, while also giving the Jebbies a much deserved and appropriate upgrade for their housing.

The AMU is now, what, over twenty years old?  It may be that this sets up, long-term, for either an addition to or redoing of the AMU.  Probably not in the immediate future, but somewhere down the line.  My guess is that we'll also see the Varsity eventually get replaced, and they'll do something with all of that space. 

GOO

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
I think the bigger issues that colleges will face is scholarships and retaining top faculty.  Many of the absolute best schools have these pieces taken care of already.  For the rest, I have to question what attracts and keeps the best professors and students.  Is it facilities or money (new buildings or top pay and full ride scholarships)?  It is easy to say all the above.  But only a few schools are able to have great facilities and great full time professors that are paid very well and plenty of scholarship money. 

Choices have to be made at MU and I hope that scholarships don't continue to be pushed aside for new buildings.

It is always a battle between facilities and scholarships/endowments.   If you want the best students, you have to have plenty of free rides to give out.  The role of the traditional college is changing, and the ability to finance with loans may become more limited for students.  Schools with money to offer students will have a bigger advantage over the next 20 years if the current trends continue.   

I don't know enough to understand where the line is between facilities and scholarships to attract students, but I'd bet someone being offered a free ride and overlook a less than perfect dorm or Rec Center.  Obviously, the schools with it all will be in the best position, but I'd rather have solid but not spectacular facilities and a free ride if I were a high school junior/senior.     

feedback