Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jon Rothstein on Marquette  (Read 43817 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Jon Rothstein on Marquette
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
Jon RothsteinVerified account
‏@JonRothstein
This is the first Marquette team I can remember that doesn't have a clear cut alpha dog. Who steps into that role in 14-15? TBD.

Who was our clear cut alpha dog last season? Jamil? Davante? Big drop off/disappointment from a string of Hayward, Butler, Crowder and Blue.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
Let's hope so...

And let's not get carried away with Number 3 - when you never push the ball in transition and rarely penetrate to the paint, and your defender is 5' off of you - it's pretty hard to turn the ball over.  Even a wrestler wouldn't turn the ball over much when defended as Derrick was last year.  LOL

I know he never met your eye test as he protected the ball and set up his teammates but the numbers say he did both better that Cadougan. Derrick last year: 4.2 apg, 1.5 tpg, 2.8 - 1 assist to turnover ratio. Junior's senior season: 3.8 apg, 2.5 tpg, 1.5 assist to turnover ratio. More assists, fewer turnovers, much, much better ratio. Not even close. Not even at the rec center.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:32:29 PM by Ellensons Tap »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 03:32:26 PM »
I know he never met your eye test as he protected the ball and set up his teammates but the numbers say he did both better that Cadougan. Derrick last year: 4.2 apg, 1.5 tpg, 2.8 - 1 assist to turnover ratio. Junior's senior season: 3.8 apg, 2.5 tpg, 1.5 assist to turnover ratio. Not really very close.

The difference being that Junior caused defenses to play differently because he was a threat to get to the rim.

Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that stats aren't everything.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
What are the terms of the big bet again?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
The difference being that Junior caused defenses to play differently because he was a threat to get to the rim.

Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that stats aren't everything.

Shouldn't he have had a bunch more assists then?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »
What are the terms of the big bet again?

D Wilson vs J Dawson - minutes played.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Shouldn't he have had a bunch more assists then?

Junior gets it in easily to Gardner, who gets double teamed by Vander's guy.  Kicks to Vander, who scores.  No assist for Junior, but an easy basket.

Meanwhile, Derrick's guy is already doubling Davante.  That's what I'm attempting to explain.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
Two more.

‏@JonRothstein
It would have been interesting to see Marquette's team last year with Duane Wilson. Still learning but has a chance to be a very capable PG.

‏@JonRothstein
The guy that's made an impression today for Marquette? Sandy Cohen. 6-6 freshman makes open shots and is a ball mover. Good "blend" player.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
Two more.

‏@JonRothstein
It would have been interesting to see Marquette's team last year with Duane Wilson. Still learning but has a chance to be a very capable PG.

‏@JonRothstein
The guy that's made an impression today for Marquette? Sandy Cohen. 6-6 freshman makes open shots and is a ball mover. Good "blend" player.

I think Sandy Cohen will give us what we thought we were getting from Juan....god I hope I didn't curse him....has Sandy been to any Brewer games this year????
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 04:13:12 PM »
D Wilson vs J Dawson - minutes played.

Interesting that there aren't many mentions of John Dawson anywhere.  I'm wondering if this might be a tough year for him given the guards in front of him.  Next year he may end up being a starter, or at least a solid rotation guy, with Derrick and Carlino graduating.  But unless he really surprises me, I can see him getting caught up in a minutes shortage.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
Who was our clear cut alpha dog last season?

Had the exact same question, Lenny. That was one of the main issues last year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
Let's hope so...

And let's not get carried away with Number 3 - when you never push the ball in transition and rarely penetrate to the paint, and your defender is 5' off of you - it's pretty hard to turn the ball over.  Even a wrestler wouldn't turn the ball over much when defended as Derrick was last year.  LOL

Yes and no.

Yes, Derrick is a bad shooter, but no, it's not that easy to do what he does.

We've seen what MU looks like without a PG. Remember Marcus Jackson, Point Center? Derrick would have been incredible for that team. AND, if Derrick is just standing around, how is he amassing assists on a team without shooters? He might be doing something, right?

We don't need to rehash this whole topic again, but I'll just say that I still think Derrick can be an effective player if he's put in the right spots.

Hopefully this year's line-up and rotation can help with that.

That's my HOT TAKE on Derrick Wilson. STEAMY.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1808594-marquette-media-day-takeaways-golden-eagles-ready-for-new-challenges

Buzz says it in the first paragraph.    Everything else, every other quote, is seashells and balloons.   None of which panned out.    But that first paragraph sure did.   There was no alpha dog.   The seniors did not step up.   It was supposed to be Vander's team, but he left.   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:08:40 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »
Yes and no.

Yes, Derrick is a bad shooter, but no, it's not that easy to do what he does.

We've seen what MU looks like without a PG. Remember Marcus Jackson, Point Center? Derrick would have been incredible for that team. AND, if Derrick is just standing around, how is he amassing assists on a team without shooters? He might be doing something, right?

We don't need to rehash this whole topic again, but I'll just say that I still think Derrick can be an effective player if he's put in the right spots.

Hopefully this year's line-up and rotation can help with that.

That's my HOT TAKE on Derrick Wilson. STEAMY.

Why should we have to settle for a guy to be effective if put in the right spot? This backcourt should be plenty deep this year.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »

Interesting that there aren't many mentions of John Dawson anywhere.  I'm wondering if this might be a tough year for him given the guards in front of him.  Next year he may end up being a starter, or at least a solid rotation guy, with Derrick and Carlino graduating.  But unless he really surprises me, I can see him getting caught up in a minutes shortage.

9 Players the first quarter, all 9 will get a chance, that is for sure.  He will play himself into more time or bench time.  Fisher will see immediate playing time even if he does not deserve it just because he is tall.  Dawson or Cohen could be 9 and 10, so there time will depend on what happens early in the season.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:59 PM »
Derrick haters about to become Wojo haters if this proves to be true?

Honeymoon is over.......lol

:)

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
9 Players the first quarter, all 9 will get a chance, that is for sure.  He will play himself into more time or bench time.  Fisher will see immediate playing time even if he does not deserve it just because he is tall.  Dawson or Cohen could be 9 and 10, so there time will depend on what happens early in the season.

Agree with that. With the small roster, guys are going to get time, especially early in the season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »
Derrick was ineffective on offense last year.

However, he does several things really well.

#1 Defense
#2 Rebound
#3 Doesn't turn it over

That type of PG can be effective, but he needs guys around him that can shoot and score.

So, while I understand some of the frustration last season, we should also keep in mind that Derrick might be a good fit in a young line-up with some offensive potential. Let Derrick manage the game, and let the other guys do the shooting and scoring.

Mix and match with Duane as applicable.

Then get ready for some .500 ball and low scoring games.

I think this is more of Wojo championing the grizzled senior who's had to deal with his shortcomings, stays true to the team, and is a strong and reliable defender.

Otherwise, watch out for Dawson!
SS Marquette

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
Rothstein's stuff is always great. Works as hard as anyone.

So much Jon Rothstein in Mike Hunt.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 06:14:39 PM »
Then get ready for some .500 ball

That is what I am expecting. 

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Some good Wojo quotes from Rothstein's Twitter page:

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  2h 2 hours ago
@steve_wojo on Luke Fischer and Duane Wilson "I think those two guys are going to be good players, they just haven't proven it yet."

@steve_wojo on the keys to Marquette's season "We need our seniors to set the tone and we need our young guys to step forward."

@steve_wojo on Sandy Cohen "Once he adds strength, he's going to be a really good player in the Big East."

@steve_wojo on Matt Carlino "He's been great. It helps that he's got experience. He's serious about the game."

@steve_wojo on Marquette "I think we have good kids. We just have to learn to play together. We're unproven."
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
Two PG's starting? That makes sense! Derrick starting and garnering major minutes will be a huge downfall for the team. Oh well, there is always next year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »
With no bigs, Derrick is a physical type player, I see it.  Duane has not played one game yet.  Need somebody to play some D.
Yeah right. Derrick is the perfect guy for a lack of bigs. Guess he can play down low for those awesome putbacks that he will miss.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »
Think Derrick will be much more suited to play with the other four projected starters. All four of them are aggressive offensive players. It was never going to work with Derrick, Juan, Jake, and Chris on the floor.
But that was what the phony one put out there all year long!!!!!!!!

feedback