collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384450 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #3400 on: August 10, 2021, 08:04:10 PM »
this is not only cringe worthy, but really weird...don't be looking for an up-tick in vax numbers due to this joke

https://nypost.com/2021/08/10/tiktok-star-parades-around-white-house-to-boost-vaccines/

whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired.  i hope they can do better
don't...don't don't don't don't

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3401 on: August 10, 2021, 08:54:45 PM »
this is not only cringe worthy, but really weird...don't be looking for an up-tick in vax numbers due to this joke

https://nypost.com/2021/08/10/tiktok-star-parades-around-white-house-to-boost-vaccines/

whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired.  i hope they can do better

Honestly, if it motivates one person to get vaccinated, I’m for it. I’m beyond caring about cheesiness.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3402 on: August 10, 2021, 08:58:47 PM »
Yep.   I dont care if it is Teletubbies or Duck Dynasty if it inspires people to get vaccinated.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3403 on: August 10, 2021, 09:17:36 PM »
“ It had been viewed more than 2.7 million times on TikTok and 850,000 times on Instagram as of Tuesday morning.”

Yeah I don’t see the problem here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3404 on: August 11, 2021, 07:11:42 AM »
Survey says workers on both sides of vaccine-mandate issue have strong feelings.

https://qz.com/work/2045018/survey-shows-the-business-risk-of-not-adopting-a-vaccine-mandate/?campaign_id=4&emc=edit_dk_20210811&instance_id=37627&nl=dealbook&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=65916&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

New research from Qualtrics suggests it’s true that companies might alienate workers if they require vaccines. The portion of Americans who say they would consider leaving their jobs if their workplaces made vaccination necessary has ticked upward, from 39% in March to 44% in August. (Qualtrics surveyed a representative sample of more than 1,000 working adults.)

But employers may also want to consider another risk: The same Qualtrics survey shows that 38% of workers would consider leaving their current employer if the organization did not enact a vaccine mandate.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3405 on: August 11, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »
Survey says workers on both sides of vaccine-mandate issue have strong feelings.

https://qz.com/work/2045018/survey-shows-the-business-risk-of-not-adopting-a-vaccine-mandate/?campaign_id=4&emc=edit_dk_20210811&instance_id=37627&nl=dealbook&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=65916&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

New research from Qualtrics suggests it’s true that companies might alienate workers if they require vaccines. The portion of Americans who say they would consider leaving their jobs if their workplaces made vaccination necessary has ticked upward, from 39% in March to 44% in August. (Qualtrics surveyed a representative sample of more than 1,000 working adults.)

But employers may also want to consider another risk: The same Qualtrics survey shows that 38% of workers would consider leaving their current employer if the organization did not enact a vaccine mandate.

Hard to get anything from these numbers without knowing more information about people’s specific job situation:

1. Force return to office/No vaccine mandate= bad
2. Force return to office/vaccine mandate= bad
3. Continue work from home/vaccine mandate= bad
4. Continue to work from home/no vaccine mandate= good
5. Job has always required employees onsite/vaccine mandate= good

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #3406 on: August 11, 2021, 07:43:56 AM »
Vaccine mandate for everyone in all contexts to do anything at all in society = good.

Anything else = bad.

FIFY

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3407 on: August 11, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »
Forgetful, sincere question and apologies if it’s a dumb one.  Been reading that because C19 also has animal hosts (recent report showing 40% of deer tested positive) it will be impossible to ever fully eradicate it?  Even if humans are 100% vaccinated and or natural antibodies will the virus continue to mutate within animal populations and these new variants will constantly be popping up in humans from time to time?

Small pox was successfully eradicated because it didn’t have an animal host capability? Is that right?

It will mutate in these animal populations to become more infectious in those animals, while it is possible it develops mutations more likely to infect humans, a jump to humans is rare, unless you are working in close contact (e.g. farms), and/or butchering (wet markets).

So proper precautions should still allow it to be essentially eradicated in the US.

But a secondary important point. Those screaming...but it is outdoors so it is safe. Pretty sure deer and other wildlife are not hosting indoor parties with humans. Their spread is entirely through the outdoors.

There are two avenues for such large populations of animals being infected. 1) Animal to animal spread (read outdoor transmission at a high level), and 2) Contaminated waste water, e.g. release of infected human waste into lakes and streams. If the latter is a viable transmission possibility, what does that say about swimming in those same lakes and streams?

I only point this out to highlight how little we know about this virus yet, and to emphasize why we will never likely know its real origin. We don't have data from before the discovery (and never will) and still do not know how this circulates in animals.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 10:15:30 AM by forgetful »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3408 on: August 11, 2021, 09:29:44 AM »
New research from Qualtrics suggests it’s true that companies might alienate workers if they require vaccines.
unnatural carnal knowledge'em. I have no more unnatural carnal knowledges to give for these pretty boys.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3409 on: August 11, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3410 on: August 11, 2021, 06:38:39 PM »
Vaccine effectiveness dips to 40% for July infections. Concerning report and long term effectiveness of vaccines a true unknown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3411 on: August 11, 2021, 06:50:56 PM »
Vaccine effectiveness dips to 40% for July infections. Concerning report and long term effectiveness of vaccines a true unknown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html

Yes, but: There has been no data so far that has found either vaccine's protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta, and the study notes that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in complications stemming from breakthrough infections based on which vaccine someone got.

And experts cautioned against rushing to conclusions.
“This is the kind of surprising finding that needs confirmation before we should accept its validity," said Cornell virologist John Moore.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3412 on: August 11, 2021, 06:56:19 PM »
What i get from your link, Country roads, is that you are advocating mask mandates, too.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3413 on: August 11, 2021, 07:52:23 PM »
What i get from your link, Country roads, is that you are advocating mask mandates, too.

I have mild social anxiety, so I personally don’t mind wearing a mask. I’d give my opinion on mask effectiveness vs Covid, but you wouldn’t want to hear it anyway so I won’t waste the breath.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3414 on: August 11, 2021, 07:54:40 PM »
I have mild social anxiety, so I personally don’t mind wearing a mask. I’d give my opinion on mask effectiveness vs Covid, but you wouldn’t want to hear it anyway so I won’t waste the breath.

Your opinion?

Or you'd relay what the science says?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3415 on: August 11, 2021, 07:59:22 PM »

Did you read the "Yes but" part?

Yes, but: There has been no data so far that has found either vaccine's protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta, and the study notes that there doesn't appear to be much of a difference in complications stemming from breakthrough infections based on which vaccine someone got.

In other words, the vaccinated are still way better off than the unvaccinated ... and everybody would be waaaaaay better off if everybody got the shot.

It also looks like the Moderna shot might end up being more effective than Pfizer in dealing with Delta, but it's really too early to say ... which leads to where the article said this:

And experts cautioned against rushing to conclusions.

“This is the kind of surprising finding that needs confirmation before we should accept its validity," said Cornell virologist John Moore.

So don't rush to conclusions!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3416 on: August 11, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »

The Borg don't care, aina?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3417 on: August 11, 2021, 09:07:50 PM »
I'm guessing your opinion on mask effectiveness is about as valid as my opinion on various quantum mechanics topics.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3418 on: August 12, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »

@ShannonBream

BREAKING:  Justice Barrett denies emergency injunction request from Indiana Univ students challenging the school’s vaccine mandate. She could have referred the matter to the full Court, but acted alone and denied the request. #SCOTUS

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3419 on: August 12, 2021, 05:00:03 PM »
@ShannonBream

BREAKING:  Justice Barrett denies emergency injunction request from Indiana Univ students challenging the school’s vaccine mandate. She could have referred the matter to the full Court, but acted alone and denied the request. #SCOTUS

The students made it easy for her. In their legal filing, they told the justices the university "is treating its students as children who cannot be trusted to make mature decisions."

Um..., yeah.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3420 on: August 12, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »
pfizer 76%/42% vs moderna 86%/76%

you make the call...glad i got moderna.  i just didn't like the fact that pfizer vaccine had to be kept at -76 to -112F.  i don't know how much leeway it has from there, but who knows if the vaccine they got was kept within it's optimal temp zone until it went into your arm-yes i know it can't be at those temps at the time it's injected. 

https://nypost.com/2021/08/10/moderna-may-be-superior-to-pfizer-against-delta-strain-study/

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3421 on: August 12, 2021, 05:14:50 PM »
Those efficacy numbers are still to be determined for Moderna as a warning.  The study had Moderna with less time elapsed-and the theory is MRNA fades with time and while effective against severe illness more breakthroughs are possible with symptoms.

So maybe party about your choice but I wouldn’t start yet. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3422 on: August 12, 2021, 05:22:03 PM »
Those efficacy numbers are still to be determined for Moderna as a warning.  The study had Moderna with less time elapsed-and the theory is MRNA fades with time and while effective against severe illness more breakthroughs are possible with symptoms.

So maybe party about your choice but I wouldn’t start yet.

no party, just saying i've always said that if i had a choice between the two, i'd pick door #1-moderna

with all due respect and i appreciate your insight, many of the things about this virus are still to be determined

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3423 on: August 12, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »
  no party, just saying i've always said that if i had a choice between the two, i'd pick door #1-moderna

with all due respect and i appreciate your insight, many of the things about this virus are still to be determined

Ok,

Here is the study many are referencing.  Eric Topol has been writing quite a bit on the topic recently if anyone is interested. 

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1425798861591777284?s=21

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3424 on: August 12, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »
it seems they are looking at the time between shots(hate the term jabs) as a reason for the improved efficacy numbers.  i that continues to be the case, i would definitely be up for a booster, but this every 6 mos thing seems a bit premature.  as long as i've already been implanted with the nano chip...what's the difference.  unless other accredited studies say otherwise.   

i don't recall (i guess i could look it up) why some vaccines confer pretty much a lifetime immunity(shingles, small pox, polio) while others need to be repeated every so many years, i.e. tetanus.  could that be due to updated vaccines aimed at variants? some viruses don't mutate as much