collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384480 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2675 on: May 10, 2021, 08:00:42 AM »
I see this story making national rounds this morning.  Nothing like free beer to entice people..........

Free beer offer results in more vaccinations than all Erie County first-dose clinics last week
Sandra Tan May 8, 2021 Updated May 9, 2021  13
https://buffalonews.com/news/local/free-beer-offer-results-in-more-vaccinations-than-all-erie-county-first-dose-clinics-last/article_34b5d0d2-b011-11eb-92fd-8b7017585dc1.html

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2676 on: May 10, 2021, 08:17:19 AM »
I agree, but would like to se the 18+ number get closer to 70% vaccinated (currently 57%) and also likely quite a few 12+ will be able to have shot(s) by July 1. 

I'd like to be "done" with everything today, but just because some people have had shots for months, doesn't mean that we shouldn't allow the full gambit to get in for their shots.  It took a 3-4 months to get vaccines available to all the 65+  folks, 18-45 have only had it available for a month or so.  It's a process and I'm willing to respect that.

While I generally agree Rocky and would absolutely like the numbers to go up, my hurdle has long been the opportunity to get vaccinated. 60 days ago we all still necessarily had a hand in protecting the population because vax distribution was quite limited.  That said, I have little sympathy for the 'when I get around to it' crowd.  So take July 4th for example.  If the guidance is 'only small groups because we need to protect the unvaccinated', I'll ignore it.  At some point in the very short term, the unvaccinated must become 100% responsible for their own health decisions and consequences.  I don't think we disagree.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2677 on: May 10, 2021, 08:57:05 AM »
Pa, dat tyme iz now, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2678 on: May 10, 2021, 09:27:22 AM »
Pa, dat tyme iz now, hey?

It sounds like we are at the point of supply outpacing demand. We do need to factor in the timing of the second shot plus 2 weeks. So, we may still be a month away from everyone who wants a vaccine is fully vaccinated.

I think some think they have immunity the second the needle is in their arm.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2679 on: May 10, 2021, 09:59:39 AM »
So I just found out that one of the leading researchers on the rona and the vaccines is a UW doc that has a kid in my kid's class.

He was quoted in a news story saying that the first shot gets your immune system warmed up, but the 2nd shot is what will protect you 1) fully and 2) from the variants. (Paraphrasing)

He's also a big believer in the safety of the Pfizer for 12-16 year olds.  His 12 year old is getting his shot this week on the news to help move the needle on getting that age group vaxxed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2680 on: May 10, 2021, 10:02:30 AM »
The day it is OK'd, my 14 year old will get his first shot.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2681 on: May 10, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
So I just found out that one of the leading researchers on the rona and the vaccines is a UW doc that has a kid in my kid's class.

He was quoted in a news story saying that the first shot gets your immune system warmed up, but the 2nd shot is what will protect you 1) fully and 2) from the variants. (Paraphrasing)

He's also a big believer in the safety of the Pfizer for 12-16 year olds.  His 12 year old is getting his shot this week on the news to help move the needle on getting that age group vaxxed.

Thanks for this info. I believe every word of it. If I had a teenage kid, he or she would get the vaccine the day it became available to him or her.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2682 on: May 10, 2021, 10:27:48 AM »
Yes, what they did was illegal.

https://www.govtech.com/health/florida-gov-desantis-signs-bill-banning-vaccine-passports

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill into law that prohibits businesses and government agencies in the state from asking people for proof — digital passport or otherwise — of a COVID-19 vaccination.

DeSantis on April 2 issued an executive order blocking COVID-19 passports, which he said would create "huge" privacy issues that could result in people handing over medical information to a "big corporation." The law now makes the executive order permanent.

But yeah, great thing Florida is open. Nothing bad happened.

Florida had more new COVID-19 cases just in *schools* over the last 7 days than most states had across their entire population.

Nearly 3,700 this week in K12 cases alone.

Total new cases for all of Florida7 days: 27,125.
Rank in country: #51

(1 is best- 51 is worst)

The bill that DeSantis signed (per your own link) does not go into effect until July Ist. Long before then everyone who wants the vaccine in Florida will have received it. So I’m good with it.

Take a snapshot, cherry pick, whatever. Florida has done better than many of the bigger states and as well as virtually all of them with considerably less suffering by its citizens. But I guess bankruptcies, unemployment, all the terrible issues that result from remote learning, etc., etc., are meaningless to you. You should move someplace where the policies have been (in your opinion) effective. New York, New Jersey, Texas, California, Illinois and Michigan are good comps. All things considered, I’d choose Florida over all of them. I think I’m in a pretty solid majority in that thinking. I’d rather consider the empirical evidence, you’d rather argue politics. So be it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2683 on: May 10, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »
While I generally agree Rocky and would absolutely like the numbers to go up, my hurdle has long been the opportunity to get vaccinated. 60 days ago we all still necessarily had a hand in protecting the population because vax distribution was quite limited.  That said, I have little sympathy for the 'when I get around to it' crowd.  So take July 4th for example.  If the guidance is 'only small groups because we need to protect the unvaccinated', I'll ignore it.  At some point in the very short term, the unvaccinated must become 100% responsible for their own health decisions and consequences.  I don't think we disagree.

Wow. You are treated with kid gloves around here.  ;)

I got nailed when I said I am done caring about people who refuse to get vaccinated and when I criticized Corbin Burnes for his refusal.

Obviously I worry about people dying after getting Covid from an unvaccinated person, but screw the anti-vaxxers.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2684 on: May 10, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
Maybe I'm being unusually optimistic, but I think we'll see a little bump in June. A lot of people were "wait and see" when it came to this, and the more time that passes without adverse events will help.

That said, I think we all agree that at some point the risk is shifted onto the people who refuse to get it. What I think some, myself included, are worried about is that it seems a lot of public officials want to wait until almost all risk is eliminated. For instance, the MKE Health Dept. gating criteria requires an 80% vaccination rate to drop all restrictions. That was never going to happen.

It'll be an interesting next couple months.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2685 on: May 10, 2021, 01:08:23 PM »
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a36381674/vaccines-prevent-transmission-spread/

"If You’re Vaccinated You Can Live Your Life Again. It Really Is That Simple."

"But we are getting to a place in this country where we can start to do the things that make life worth living again. We must honor those we lost, and acknowledge that we lost more than we should have, and learn from that. But it's hard to believe that anyone who died from this vicious disease would want we, the living, to delay going back to some of the best things in life longer than is necessary. We can honor them with monuments and remembrances, but we can also honor them by enjoying ourselves. Raise a glass—your free vaccination beer, maybe—with a promise to devote yourself to a life well-lived. As it stands, I intend to go to some concerts this summer. Maybe even a club. That doesn't mean you have to do the same. If being vaccinated means you are not putting others at risk, and this lack of spread means cases and hospitalizations and deaths continue to drop, it's time to choose your own path through the world, just like you did a year and a half ago."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2686 on: May 10, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »

Wow we are at the point in the pandemic where vaccine puns are being thrown about

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2687 on: May 10, 2021, 01:41:54 PM »
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a36381674/vaccines-prevent-transmission-spread/

"If You’re Vaccinated You Can Live Your Life Again. It Really Is That Simple."

"But we are getting to a place in this country where we can start to do the things that make life worth living again. We must honor those we lost, and acknowledge that we lost more than we should have, and learn from that. But it's hard to believe that anyone who died from this vicious disease would want we, the living, to delay going back to some of the best things in life longer than is necessary. We can honor them with monuments and remembrances, but we can also honor them by enjoying ourselves. Raise a glass—your free vaccination beer, maybe—with a promise to devote yourself to a life well-lived. As it stands, I intend to go to some concerts this summer. Maybe even a club. That doesn't mean you have to do the same. If being vaccinated means you are not putting others at risk, and this lack of spread means cases and hospitalizations and deaths continue to drop, it's time to choose your own path through the world, just like you did a year and a half ago."
My like has already been as normal as I could make it over the last 14 months.   When my son is vaccinated, I will be able to celebrate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2688 on: May 10, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »
Wow. You are treated with kid gloves around here.  ;)

I got nailed when I said I am done caring about people who refuse to get vaccinated and when I criticized Corbin Burnes for his refusal.

Obviously I worry about people dying after getting Covid from an unvaccinated person, but screw the anti-vaxxers.

I actually do care about them.  I'm simply saying that their health decisions on a going forward basis once everyone has a reasonable chance to get 2 shots are their responsibility, not mine. 

I may have told this story last week.  I was at a wedding last weekend where a couple folks indicated that they had no plans to vaccinate.  They also didn't expect me to wear a mask in their presence.  All good.  We're all responsible for ourselves.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2689 on: May 10, 2021, 02:06:38 PM »
I actually do care about them.  I'm simply saying that their health decisions on a going forward basis once everyone has a reasonable chance to get 2 shots are their responsibility, not mine. 

I may have told this story last week.  I was at a wedding last weekend where a couple folks indicated that they had no plans to vaccinate.  They also didn't expect me to wear a mask in their presence.  All good.  We're all responsible for ourselves.

Amen.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2690 on: May 10, 2021, 02:23:02 PM »

I agree Glow. Allowing people to make their own choices and live with the consequences doesn’t mean you don’t care about them. I wish people wouldn’t smoke, drink or use drugs to excess, be inactive, become obese, etc., etc.,.
But I’m not for taking their Lucky Strikes, Jack Daniels or Big Gulps away from them because I (or the government) decides “they would be better off without them”. I’ll pay higher insurance, risk driving our highways, etc., because prohibition and a free society don’t mix well. All of the awful things that happen because of our poor choices don’t add up to the awful not having those choices would bring.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2691 on: May 10, 2021, 02:26:27 PM »
The bill that DeSantis signed (per your own link) does not go into effect until July Ist. Long before then everyone who wants the vaccine in Florida will have received it. So I’m good with it.

Take a snapshot, cherry pick, whatever. Florida has done better than many of the bigger states and as well as virtually all of them with considerably less suffering by its citizens. But I guess bankruptcies, unemployment, all the terrible issues that result from remote learning, etc., etc., are meaningless to you. You should move someplace where the policies have been (in your opinion) effective. New York, New Jersey, Texas, California, Illinois and Michigan are good comps. All things considered, I’d choose Florida over all of them. I think I’m in a pretty solid majority in that thinking. I’d rather consider the empirical evidence, you’d rather argue politics. So be it.

And in the same article, it says that his executive order for the same thing was effective April 2nd. So, yeah, they were violating his order. Surprised you would give your business to such a heavy handed place.

Florida had a ton of visitors that visited, then left and DeSantis ensured that we would never contact trace them back to Florida.  And we have a conspiracry loving Uber driver in charge of our counts.

Once again, we are leading the nation in cases. And we are seriously lagging most of the country in vaccine rates. Empirical evidence, indeed. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2692 on: May 10, 2021, 02:49:12 PM »
I think you are leading the country in number of variants, too.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2693 on: May 10, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »
I agree Glow. Allowing people to make their own choices and live with the consequences doesn’t mean you don’t care about them. I wish people wouldn’t smoke, drink or use drugs to excess, be inactive, become obese, etc., etc.,.
But I’m not for taking their Lucky Strikes, Jack Daniels or Big Gulps away from them because I (or the government) decides “they would be better off without them”. I’ll pay higher insurance, risk driving our highways, etc., because prohibition and a free society don’t mix well. All of the awful things that happen because of our poor choices don’t add up to the awful not having those choices would bring.

And your stance on drugs and prostitution are what?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2694 on: May 10, 2021, 05:08:21 PM »
I agree up to the point where an individuals bad choices have a negative impact to those around them. Drink as much as you want but as soon as you get behind the wheel it negatively impacts those around you - therefore it's illegal. Smoke until your lungs are briquettes but second hand smoke causes damage to others - therefore it's prohibited in public. Don't get the vaccine but the more people who choose to go unvaccinated the higher likelihood of a variant developing that will make all our vaccinations much less effective - therefore feel free to return to normal social interaction without any responsibility?

Again, totally agree that not getting vaccinated is a choice and I wouldn't force people to get it (or outlaw cigs, or ban booze) but that choice could have an impact on others and therefore there should be limits to what that impact is.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2695 on: May 10, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
And your stance on drugs and prostitution are what?

Legal, regulated.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2696 on: May 10, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »
Legal, regulated.

How much heroin should I be allowed to buy at once?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2697 on: May 10, 2021, 05:43:21 PM »
I agree up to the point where an individuals bad choices have a negative impact to those around them. Drink as much as you want but as soon as you get behind the wheel it negatively impacts those around you - therefore it's illegal. Smoke until your lungs are briquettes but second hand smoke causes damage to others - therefore it's prohibited in public. Don't get the vaccine but the more people who choose to go unvaccinated the higher likelihood of a variant developing that will make all our vaccinations much less effective - therefore feel free to return to normal social interaction without any responsibility?

Again, totally agree that not getting vaccinated is a choice and I wouldn't force people to get it (or outlaw cigs, or ban booze) but that choice could have an impact on others and therefore there should be limits to what that impact is.

naginiF,

Do we know that unvaccinated people present a danger to others? If and when we do, restrictions on those folks would make sense. But unless a direct link of the type you mention is established, I’ll stick with the idea that the idiots who won’t get vaxxed are only endangering themselves.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2698 on: May 10, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »
How much heroin should I be allowed to buy at once?

I’ll leave that to the FDA.

How much booze can you buy at once? Enough to kill yourself and then some, ai’na?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:48:50 PM by Lennys Tap »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2699 on: May 10, 2021, 06:19:34 PM »
I’ll leave that to the FDA.

How much booze can you buy at once? Enough to kill yourself and then some, ai’na?

I doubt the FDA would weigh in. ;) ;)