collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384473 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1825 on: March 09, 2021, 09:18:50 PM »
Get my second tomorrow at 5ish. Maybe I'll take some melatonin and ibuprofen right after and just pass right out.

Sounds like a case for Whiskey and Weed.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: March 09, 2021, 09:38:15 PM »
I’m now of the opinion that the eligibility requirements have had their shelf life, and open up vaccines to anyone that wants them.

Agreed. Let's get this thing cranking now that the supply issues will be largely solved.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1827 on: March 09, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »
People in the greater Chicago metro area are still going nuts trying to find appointments. Many now are making the trek to the state sites in Springfield and Quincy, even Carbondale. Quincy has the J&J, so it’s only one long car trip.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1828 on: March 09, 2021, 09:58:50 PM »
Agreed. Let's get this thing cranking now that the supply issues will be largely solved.

I read an article yesterday about Wisconsin likely starting 1C soon which sounds like it will be people with health issues.  I understand prioritizing them also but am really wondering when they will get to people not in the priority groups..

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1829 on: March 09, 2021, 10:13:25 PM »
I think there’s a tipping point on the phases where it’s going to get silly and worse, frustrating for a larger majority of people. I don’t pretend that vaccines are like Big Mac’s, and anyone can right now just drive and get one immediately. But I’ve seen some of the 1C guidelines IL is thinking of putting out there, and it just seems silly. If need be, give folks 65 and older an early morning window (7am - 11am), and if vaccines are available after 12pm, come one, come all.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1830 on: March 09, 2021, 10:24:03 PM »
I agree that the phases are getting to be a little much. It certainly made sense to give highest priority to frontline healthcare workers, people in nursing homes and generally those 65+. But now we’re seeing complicated guidelines that may be staged by age, comorbidities, categories of work, or some combination thereof. And they vary from state to state.

Seems like it might be time to open the gates and just let things happen. I recently saw an interview with an epidemiologist from Baylor College of Medicine, and he seemed to feel that way as well.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1831 on: March 09, 2021, 10:39:46 PM »
Just saw that Alaska has opened up vaccines to anyone and everyone 16 and older. First state to do so.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1832 on: March 09, 2021, 11:01:33 PM »
This surprises me: people in NJ are canceling appointments for Pfizer or Moderna  vaccines in order to get the one-shot J&J vaccine. If anything, I thought people would turn down the J&J because of the lower efficacy rate, but apparently many like the one–dose convenience. Just get the first one you can!

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/coronavirus/2021/03/08/johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-nj-doses-not-coming/4632150001/

Demand for the single-shot COVID vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson is so great in New Jersey that some residents are canceling appointments for two-shot Pfizer and Moderna doses, officials said Monday.

But after receiving more than 70,000 J&J doses last week, New Jersey is not expected to get any more for the next three weeks. And those holding out for the one-shot vaccine will lose their spot on a very long line.

"If you choose to wait for the J&J vaccine, you will go back into the queue," Health Commissioner Judy Persichilli said at a briefing Monday. "If that is your choice, we respect that."

J&J being 100% effective in preventing hospitalization and death is all people care about, imo.  If I have the choice later this week I will absolutely go with J&J, not too concerned about getting the virus after being vaccinated if I know it won’t wipe me on my ass. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1833 on: March 10, 2021, 12:07:51 AM »
Muchas grassyass.  Appreciate the info, Marengo isn't too far for them.

Their county finally got some Moderna, so they got appts.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1834 on: March 10, 2021, 05:25:28 AM »
People in the greater Chicago metro area are still going nuts trying to find appointments. Many now are making the trek to the state sites in Springfield and Quincy, even Carbondale. Quincy has the J&J, so it’s only one long car trip.

Quincy!  I have 4 Marquette friends from Quincy, 2 of which were roommates Jr & Sr year.  I've actually visited at least four times.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1835 on: March 10, 2021, 07:42:13 AM »
Oh great news Ziggy!
I was just looking through the FB group to see if there was anything to pass along , apparently supplies have jumped.
I agree that the tiers can be way too complicated

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1836 on: March 10, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
Right.  Because the next step in Wisconsin is going to be people with pre-existing health issues.  What issues count?  Will documentation be required?  Approval from your doctor?

In a perfect world, this makes sense.  But it's going to be full of confusion.  It would simply be smoother to get rid of the prioritization and let people sign up and get the shots.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1837 on: March 10, 2021, 07:53:02 AM »
Right.  Because the next step in Wisconsin is going to be people with pre-existing health issues.  What issues count?  Will documentation be required?  Approval from your doctor?

In a perfect world, this makes sense.  But it's going to be full of confusion.  It would simply be smoother to get rid of the prioritization and let people sign up and get the shots.

Personally, it should just be done by age at this point, since it is less confusing and easy to message.  Also, the older a person is, the more serious health risks they are likely to have.

If someone has a pre-existing condition, they can get a referral from their GP.  And anything that the doc feels is a PEC should be enough to get a vax.  And if a few people slip through and get vaccines ahead of time, so be it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1838 on: March 10, 2021, 08:07:46 AM »

This is why Connecticut said age only except teachers.  The state was sending nurses to school districts and vaccinating a whole district in a day.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1839 on: March 10, 2021, 08:10:15 AM »
This is why Connecticut said age only except teachers.  The state was sending nurses to school districts and vaccinating a whole district in a day.

I've wanted local health officials to do this with retirement homes.  Saves a bunch on travel, and realistically, they could just go door to door in a large complex and hit up a large portion of the retired population that can't/doesn't drive much.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1840 on: March 10, 2021, 08:14:43 AM »

So smart!! My wife just told me last night our kids have off on Monday for the same reason.  Mass vaccination effort for all teachers in the district in one day.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: March 10, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
If pre-existing issues are the next tier in Wisconsin expect a world of confusion. It was compounded here in Illinois because Cook and the surrounding counties opted out due to the fact that they still had hundreds of thousands of seniors that had not been able to schedule shots. But the pharmacies opted to follow the state and not the county guidelines -except not all in the city did. And then some have required some type of documentation and some haven’t. Well -intentioned but created a mess.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1842 on: March 10, 2021, 10:52:08 AM »
I've wanted local health officials to do this with retirement homes.  Saves a bunch on travel, and realistically, they could just go door to door in a large complex and hit up a large portion of the retired population that can't/doesn't drive much.

This is being done in Indy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1843 on: March 10, 2021, 10:54:44 AM »
Don't take the NSAID.  It lessens your immune response.

Thanks for the heads up didn't know that. I'll stick to my zinc, d3 and vit C and maybe ziggys recommendation to knock me out.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: March 10, 2021, 10:56:31 AM »
Thanks for the heads up didn't know that. I'll stick to my zinc, d3 and vit C and maybe ziggys recommendation to knock me out.

I mean, you can take all of that, but just remember that you really aren't sick.  You're just having an immune response - and that's a good thing!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: March 10, 2021, 11:15:12 AM »
This is kind of funny but demonstrated how our new vaccine platform works.

https://twitter.com/shanselman/status/1369139327763054594?s=21

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1846 on: March 10, 2021, 11:39:21 AM »

I think I would be fine with prior conditions being on the honor system?  Just release a list of however many conditions doctors think are relevant and say "Age 60+ and anyone with the following conditions."  Then just make everyone check a box with the condition they have when scheduling their appt. Of course droves of people will fake it to get their shot first, but if like, 60% of people don't try to jump the line, it'll still give people with actual conditions a better/earlier chance. 

• All American
« Reply #1847 on: March 10, 2021, 11:56:36 AM »
I would then just do it by age if we are going by the honor system with pre-existing conditions. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: March 10, 2021, 11:58:15 AM »

I mean, you can take all of that, but just remember that you really aren't sick.  You're just having an immune response - and that's a good thing!

My understanding is by taking that, it helps boost our immune system to generate a greater immune response to make the vaccine more effective.

I don’t know if that’s proven to happen or just theories by some medical professionals. I guess some of it is just that it can’t hurt.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1849 on: March 10, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
I would then just do it by age

This is really the way it should have been done nationwide.  But alas, no national plan.

Regardless, I'm gonna make the bold prediction that based on supplies coming available, everyone that wants a vaccine (~70% of the population) will be fully vaccinated by the end of May (meaning 1st shot end of April/beginning of May).  Party on.

(Not really that bold, prez has enough vaccine secured for 100% 1st shots by the end of may)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:13:23 PM by rocky_warrior »

feedback