collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Awful Announcing questions FS1's strategy  (Read 4970 times)

GGGG

• All American
Awful Announcing questions FS1's strategy
« on: March 28, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »
I agree with this...

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/heres-shocker-fs1-wants-snatch-skip-bayless-away-espn-embrace-debate-2-0.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=heres-shocker-fs1-wants-snatch-skip-bayless-away-espn-embrace-debate-2-0

"In almost three years, FS1’s studio lineup has gained barely any traction with sports fans as the numbers prove.  The only time they do gain a large audience for studio programming is when there’s a large lead-in audience thanks to a popular live event like an MLB Postseason game or a NASCAR Sprint Cup race.

Therefore, FS1 should be investing everything they can into those live events, along with the news and analysis around them.  (See, again: NASCAR Race Hub outdoing Whitlock, Cowherd, etc. combined.)

Instead, FS1 is investing millions into polarizing opinionists who will garner heavy criticism and turn off as many fans as they bring in.  It’s a confounding strategy.  At the very least, it’s one that’s highly debatable."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Awful Announcing questions FS1's strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »
I agree as well. Don't recreate the ESPN model...they are losing subscribers in part because people hate the Embrace Debate model(I'm one of them).

They absolutely get into the instant reaction business to something that has just been seen live on their air. That can then be packetized to fit in the twitter world and now you are more relevant and interesting then ESPN's 2 day old debates.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »
+1 to hating embrace debate. I haven't watched anything on ESPN that isn't live sports in as long as I can remember. The "debates" are worthless, and highlights are available by just going online.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
Agree with all of this, the model of sports talk radio on TV ("embrace the debate") time has come and gone.

They can load up on live programming, try filling your afternoons with Tennis, golf, live sports, anything but meaningless blather by ex-jocks.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »
Yea, the only thing besides live sports that I watch on ESPN is highly questionable, and that's because papi is so damn funny.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »
Anyone watch fox sports live lately? It's brutal.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 07:36:20 AM »
Anyone watch fox sports live lately? It's brutal.

This is erroneous.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »
How so?

Jay and Dan get to do what they want now, it's wonderful comedy.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 03:19:20 PM »
Jay and Dan get to do what they want now, it's wonderful comedy.

I guess...if you like fart jokes and hate sports

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »

Agreed.  I've completely given up on them.  Back to SportsCenter...

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »
Should have changed the name, because it's not a highlight show anymore. Solid comedy show.

Let's be real, there is no purpose to watch SportsCenter anymore. If your a baseball guy, your watching MLB Tonight on MLB Network. Highlights someone is looking for, you just go online.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:01:04 PM by bradley center bat »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
Who actually watches SportsCenter or any generic highlight show? They're wildly old news 10 minutes after they are taped. That thing is dead.

I'm watching two funny guys, mock current sports events/highlight shows and do great interviews.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:32:16 PM by PTM »

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 02:18:19 PM »
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. I still depend on SC to get caught up on the day o sports. Im also likely the only person under 27 that's not on Twitter, insta or myface so that likely says something.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
Jay and Dan are great. Especially during the Stanley Cup Playoffs because there were TSN guys. Agree with most of the sentiment here though, only non live programming I watch on ESPN is Highly Questionable.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »

Count me out as well. Other than for MU hoops, I never ever turn on FS1.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 10:45:36 AM »
Who actually watches SportsCenter or any generic highlight show? They're wildly old news 10 minutes after they are taped. That thing is dead.

I'm watching two funny guys, mock current sports events/highlight shows and do great interviews.

I think it's great, and love that they are seemingly steering into the Katie Nolan model of things. I don't need anyone blathering on the highlight itself, I've got that else where. Either add value in terms of insight to the how or why it happened or make commentary on it that is entertaining.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
I think it's great, and love that they are seemingly steering into the Katie Nolan model of things. I don't need anyone blathering on the highlight itself, I've got that else where. Either add value in terms of insight to the how or why it happened or make commentary on it that is entertaining.

Yep, if you want highlights, you go to MLB, NFL or NHL directly. More than a rushed cliche line is offered.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »
Yep, if you want highlights, you go to MLB, NFL or NHL directly. More than a rushed cliche line is offered.

I don't even do that much, if you follow the right people on twitter it's all for the viewing at my leisure or if someone mentions something I haven't seen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
If FS1 wants to imitate actual quality programming from ESPN, it should do its own version of 30 for 30 or Behind the Lines.

I have tried watching the "highlight show" but I don't find it especially funny and I don't get much from the actual sports involved. I'll still check out SportsCenter in small doses but my days of watching more than 10 minutes straight are gone.

As another poster said, aside from MU hoops and maybe a postseason baseball game or two, there isn't a whole lot of "there there" for me on FS1.

And that's too bad, because I wanted to love it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 09:25:06 PM »
If FS1 wants to imitate actual quality programming from ESPN, it should do its own version of 30 for 30 or Behind the Lines.

I have tried watching the "highlight show" but I don't find it especially funny and I don't get much from the actual sports involved. I'll still check out SportsCenter in small doses but my days of watching more than 10 minutes straight are gone.

As another poster said, aside from MU hoops and maybe a postseason baseball game or two, there isn't a whole lot of "there there" for me on FS1.

There is much wisdom here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:50 PM »

The irony is that most of the 30 for 30's aren't even done by ESPN, but rather independent producers who then sell them to ESPN.  A friend has done two of them for them already. 

feedback