[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How would you coach Garcia?  (Read 7768 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: How would you coach Garcia?
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2021, 10:38:33 AM »
He needs to be transformed from a soft 220lbs. to a physical 240lbs.

He's listed at 235
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2021, 10:43:26 AM »
Maybe it's just because he's a big lefty who can shoot but I can't help but think of Raef Lafrentz sometimes when I watch him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »
He's listed at 235

Body Sculpting by Scoop?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »
Agree.  I would coach to be a better offensive rebounder. He can't rebound when he's standing 30' away watching teammates miss threes.  This is a big flaw of Wojo's offense, too often there is no one underneath.

Yeah.......not the issue
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »
I don’t think letters work 😉

That's not necessarily true Uncle R!  H and H don't have that Joycean umph in their prose.  Break out the fountain pen and get to work.  :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2021, 12:09:58 PM »
Over on the scout page, Pudner has an article up that says Garcia is the 14th best value add freshman in D1.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
Dawson Garcia is the least of our concerns.

He's a freshman who is learning on the fly about Big East hoops, so he has some outstanding games and some duds. When he goes up against a team without a lot of big bodies, such as Nova, he can go inside effectively. He is not yet ready to contend with shot-blockers, but with a full offseason I'll bet he figures out a few things next season.

I just hope he does so in a Marquette uniform.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2021, 09:52:44 PM »
I’m starting to wonder if Garcia can dunk.  I’d love to see it, then a thunderous roar.  But he’d probably get blocked by a 6’2” guard

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2021, 12:08:52 AM »
I’m starting to wonder if Garcia can dunk.  I’d love to see it, then a thunderous roar.  But he’d probably get blocked by a 6’2” guard

His hops are a bit pedestrian, I'll give you that.  He needs to get in the weight room and work on more effective pivot moves as well as get stronger and increase his elevation.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2021, 06:17:05 AM »
Valentine's Day is already past, but I guess that didn't curb your bromance. Sam sends his love back!

Despite all that lovin' ... Sam is only slightly more likely to win ACC player of the year than Wojo is to win Big East coach of the year. Sam wasn't even on The Athletic's midseason all-ACC team.

Sam is the exact same player he was at Marquette. That's not an insult at all. He was a good player for us, and it was great to have him on our team.

Unfortunately, he let his little brother - who as it turns out is not very good - talk him into participating in a mutiny.
thx...but the thread is about Garcia, not the malcontent.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2021, 06:18:25 AM »
thx...but the thread is about Garcia, not the malcontent.

You quoted a post from five days ago to say that?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »

You quoted a post from five days ago to say that?

Not to mention the fact that I'm not even the one who brought up the former Marquette player but was just addressing the incorrect statement of that former Marquette player's No. 1 Scoop cheerleader.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2021, 03:46:02 PM »
1. Weight room
2. Weight room
3. Weight room
4. Work on perfecting the baby hook that Theo has going on.
5. Weight room

Once he gets stronger, he will be unstoppable.  He leaves 8-10 points a game on the floor because he can't finish strong.  Easily another 2-3 wins this year if he was stronger.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2021, 10:53:35 AM »
I know the mid range game is going extinct in basketball but I think he needs more opportunities there. Screen and roll, pick and pop situations.
He is a good shooter and he will begin making these with more attempts, which will then open up his other offensive attributes with head fakes and drive bys.

One of the things that drives me crazy with him this season is that he seems to never dribble when he gets the ball at the top of the key or anywhere on the outside. By all accounts he’s a good ball handler and should be able to take bigger guys off the dribble to create offense rather than just standing and waiting for a guard to pass to.

In the preseason scrimmage videos we would see several pick and pop open 3 situations for both Dawson and Justin where they would get an open look from 3 and drain it. I was pumped about seeing that all season long but it’s gone basically extinct (the Markus over the head pass off the dribble to Sam for three play)

Maybe they were getting the looks because the defense was bad in the scrimmages, but he needs more of those types of plays to open up his offensive repertoire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2021, 11:09:13 AM »
I know the mid range game is going extinct in basketball but I think he needs more opportunities there. Screen and roll, pick and pop situations.
He is a good shooter and he will begin making these with more attempts, which will then open up his other offensive attributes with head fakes and drive bys.

One of the things that drives me crazy with him this season is that he seems to never dribble when he gets the ball at the top of the key or anywhere on the outside. By all accounts he’s a good ball handler and should be able to take bigger guys off the dribble to create offense rather than just standing and waiting for a guard to pass to.

In the preseason scrimmage videos we would see several pick and pop open 3 situations for both Dawson and Justin where they would get an open look from 3 and drain it. I was pumped about seeing that all season long but it’s gone basically extinct (the Markus over the head pass off the dribble to Sam for three play)

Maybe they were getting the looks because the defense was bad in the scrimmages, but he needs more of those types of plays to open up his offensive repertoire

Can we not get DG the rock in the wide-post where he can face and then attack?He needs to be more patient off the bounce, work on his post game, and get stronger imo.  His moves are not particularly fluid DoctorV.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2021, 11:44:30 AM »
When he is patient and backs down his defender, he gets blocked by the help defender.   

Stronger.   Quicker.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2021, 02:13:42 PM »
One of the best informed discussions around here in a long time.
Too bad we have not had the luxury of playing him as a forward.
Go overseas and get a tall brute of a center and coach Garcia as a forward.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »
One of the best informed discussions around here in a long time.
Too bad we have not had the luxury of playing him as a forward.
Go overseas and get a tall brute of a center and coach Garcia as a forward.

Interesting point.  I have always advocated for an international scout.   Look at Gonzaga?