[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette fires Scott Monarch. Suspends HC Buzz Williams for one League game  (Read 87213 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Murs, I respectfully disagree.  This should have been Buzz's decision.  Period.  There is no other way to spin this.

Right back at ya... the respectfully disagree part.

Buzz's job demands that he keeps up on the evolution of the game, coaching wise, track three or four classes of potential recruits, keep track of the guys who are in the program regarding their basketball development, their academics, and their personal behavior (at least in public), game plan for opponents, keep himself his assistants, and his players up to date on NCAA regulations, AND you want him to be the guy who runs an investigation of his own assistant coach (and good friend) and researches the correct way to report the findings to the NCAA and to figure out which self imposed sanctions are most appropriate?

What would be left for LW to do?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

96warrior

• Team Captain
I'm just worried that if LW chases Buzz away then hires his own nobody guy and he turns out to be a bad coach this team will be sent into dark ages.

If Buzz is who he says he is (and I believe he is), he is on LW's side on this one. Monarch would still have a job if he didn't lie. Apparently repeatedly.

real chili 83

• All American
Agreed.....thus the frustration with LW.  He had a lot of time to get this right.

Goose

• All American
Punishment is more than fair for the infraction. This was not a shirt or Brewer ticket infraction. This falls into a bigger pond than the bar fight or any of last years issues. MU does not want any infractions and are not going to allow stuff to happen. I hope this issue blows away quickly and all we lose is an assistant.

Benny B

• All American
'“When I was allowed to review the report earlier this week

what's wrong with that statement?  allowed?

If you're a secondary subject in an investigation, I don't see what's wrong with not allowing you to read a report until others have had the chance to review and evaluate.  Do you let a criminal's attorney review the police notes during an investigation?  No, he/she gets to see the report when it's complete.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
LW did the right thing here. I am not pro LW, but under the circumstances he made right choice.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
'“When I was allowed to review the report earlier this week

what's wrong with that statement?  allowed?

Don't forget that we're talking about a report of an investigation into Buzz's program.  Until it was completed, MU didn't have any basis for forming an opinion on whether Buzz was a part of the initial infractions or was in on the coverup by Monarch.  It had to be done by someone outside the program to have any legitimacy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

real chili 83

• All American
Right back at ya... the respectfully disagree part.

Buzz's job demands that he keeps up on the evolution of the game, coaching wise, track three or four classes of potential recruits, keep track of the guys who are in the program regarding their basketball development, their academics, and their personal behavior (at least in public), game plan for opponents, keep himself his assistants, and his players up to date on NCAA regulations, AND you want him to be the guy who runs an investigation of his own assistant coach (and good friend) and researches the correct way to report the findings to the NCAA and to figure out which self imposed sanctions are most appropriate?

What would be left for LW to do?

Buzz needs to let the investigation run it's course, and then HE needs to make
 the right decision, based on the facts of the investigation.  That's his job.  LW's job is  to lead Buzz to the right decision.  If Buzz cant get to the right decision, he is in the wrong job.  I have faith that Buzz is smart enough to get to the right decision.  

Pakuni

• All American
Agreed.....thus the frustration with LW.  He had a lot of time to get this right.

What did he get wrong?
Does anybody disagree with firing an employee who repeatedly lies under these circumstances?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
An employee was found to be lying on a matter of compliance, an aspect of his job that is essential. Proper legal procedure is to call in an independent investigative counsel to determine just cause for termination (unlike Penn State), especially since the employee was hired by Buzz and is a friend. If there was a claim of sexual harassment, it would have been handled the same way.  This protects the employer and they have grounds to say an independent group looked into it and recommended the action.  This decision to dismiss was made by the independent counsel.  MU and Buzz have cover, and MU has cause to void the employment contract.

This was determined weeks ago and we now are seeing the show. Stupid for a t shirt and the time and money spent.  Monarch appears to have written his own ticket.

Benny B

• All American
Honestly, Parrish is almost as dumb as Skip Bayless.  I've lost what little respect I had for Parrish over the past couple years.

+ a sideways 8.  I'm not sure whose wife or boyfriend GP has pictures of, but you can't help but to sympathize for Jeff Goodman's position (being partnered with the guy.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Daniel

• All American
How many times has Buzz said, "Wish I would have taken SMU", over the past few weeks?

I don't think Buzz would support Monarch on this one, and would side with LW.  Thre is zero room these days for any dishonestly, misleading info, lack of cooperation.  Monarch should have been fired.

real chili 83

• All American
Don't forget that we're talking about a report of an investigation into Buzz's program.  Until it was completed, MU didn't have any basis for forming an opinion on whether Buzz was a part of the initial infractions or was in on the coverup by Monarch.  It had to be done by someone outside the program to have any legitimacy.

Agreed.

real chili 83

• All American
What did he get wrong?
Does anybody disagree with firing an employee who repeatedly lies under these circumstances?

My only point is that this should have been announced as Buzz's decision, not, Buzz is announcing. 

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
I think Larry was in a must-fire situation withnthis. Yes its a smallminfraction, but if u dont do anything, where do youndraw the line? Whats Larry supposed to tell the investigators, "cmon, give us a break here guys?"

Nope. The AD was lied to and you simply cannot have that. Once that trust is gone, Monarch has to go.

Im not a fan of Larry, but his hands were tied. Its his job to think of the whole program and you cant turn a blind eye once the ncaa says a coach knowingly lied about breaking a rule. Its a small infraction but like most 'scandals', its not the crime, its the cover up. Or as my daddy always told me, "the worst thing you can do is not tell someone the WHOLE truth."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
My only point is that this should have been announced as Buzz's decision, not, Buzz is announcing. 

And Buzz would have been accused of finding a fall guy (his friend) to cover up his own mess.  Now he has a legal cover by an outside law firm.  Sounds better to me the way MU handled it.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American

Disagree. LW is the AD, not Buzz. LW runs the show, not Buzz. If the announcement is from Buzz, it implies he runs things...which he does not.

Pakuni

• All American

But it isn't, and shouldn't be, Buzz's decision. Allowing Buzz and the program to act as its own judge and jury can't lead anywhere good. Especially when we''re talking about the indiscretions of one of Buzz's longtime pals.

Goose

• All American
He deserved to be fired and was. The AD needs to run the show and have power. Again, this is not a tshirt infraction. He broke the rules and got caught. Actually he was stupid for getting caught and should be fired simply for being caught.

Litehouse

• All American
"By the way, Buzz Williams getting a suspension from his school b/c an assistant lied is the type of thing that makes men look at other jobs."
‏@GaryParrishCBS

By the way, being disgruntled at your employer for holding you accountable because your under-qualified best friend you hired as an assistant lied about an NCAA investigation is the type of thing that makes big time programs look at other coaches.

I love Buzz, but if he has a problem with this he isn't practicing what he's preaching. I just think Parrish has this one wrong.

The Process

• All American
Disagree. LW is the AD, not Buzz. LW runs the show, not Buzz. If the announcement is from Buzz, it implies he runs things...which he does not.

Exactly.  I would be surprised if Buzz wasn't involved in the decision - again, a seat at the table, so to speak - but this is an AD's call to ultimately make.  Again, not enough information to know all that did or didn't transpire, so I'm not jumping to conclusions... good/bad/otherwise.
Relax. Respect the Process.

GGGG

• All American
But it isn't, and shouldn't be, Buzz's decision. Allowing Buzz and the program to act as its own judge and jury can't lead anywhere good. Especially when we''re talking about the indiscretions of one of Buzz's longtime pals.

It's a compliance issue.  It has to come from the AD.  Buzz can't announce the firing of his assistant and then turn around and have LW announce a one game suspension.  That's silly.

GGGG

• All American
By the way, being disgruntled at your employer for holding you accountable because your under-qualified best friend you hired as an assistant lied about an NCAA investigation is the type of thing that makes big time programs look at other coaches.

I love Buzz, but if he has a problem with this he isn't practicing what he's preaching. I just think Parrish has this one wrong.

Yeah, this is why I think he should get more than one game.  Its...just...squirmy...

real chili 83

• All American

Niv and Doc, I disagree, the Head Coach hires, the HC fires.  Anything else implies he is not capable of managing his charge.

We all agree the right decision was made.

Goose

• All American
Guys
Connect the dots. We had more game suspensions than ever before, Buzz chatted with SMU and has lost power. Game over on Buzz being the same Buzz he has been. He either toes the line or he moves on. They brass does not like Buzz's act and that is factual. Something has to give for Buzz to be here long term and I doubt if we get new president.

feedback