[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Paul George injury to mark end of professionals in international competition?  (Read 3288 times)

GGGG

• All American
For those who don't know, George suffered a terrible broken leg last night.  You can find the video somewhere.

GMs are already saying that this might mark the end of pros playing for team USA.  I think we have nothing left to prove in that regard so I am fine with that.

Jay Bee

• All American
Idiotic reaction. Guys play ball all the time.

I would actually be on board with that outcome - I actually like it. But the reason - reactionary due to an unusual injury - is stupid.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
Idiotic reaction. Guys play ball all the time.

I would actually be on board with that outcome - I actually like it. But the reason - reactionary due to an unusual injury - is stupid.

Yep.  There are NBA guys playing in IWB's ProAm for instance.

JWags85

• All American
Yeah I had a friend last night saying this kind of stuff was dumb, you dont want your players playing in it, etc...  But honestly, the risk of injury is always there, in practice, warm ups, scrimmages.  That being said, you want your stars getting as much high level competition as they can to push their game.

However, I do think this will cause FIBA to push their basket bases back.  There was an interesting side by side of the area under the hoop for FIBA and for the NBA, and the NBA had another 2-3 feet of space.

wadesworld

• All American
Yeah I had a friend last night saying this kind of stuff was dumb, you dont want your players playing in it, etc...  But honestly, the risk of injury is always there, in practice, warm ups, scrimmages.  That being said, you want your stars getting as much high level competition as they can to push their game.

However, I do think this will cause FIBA to push their basket bases back.  There was an interesting side by side of the area under the hoop for FIBA and for the NBA, and the NBA had another 2-3 feet of space.

Yeah I was thinking when does basketball start looking at alternatives to the base of the hoop? I understand it's rare and they are freak accidents, but with Noel and now George going through severe injuries as a result of them, even if you save just 1 injury a year, isn't that worth it if there is some kind of alternative? I don't have the answer, but there are some pretty smart engineers out there who I am sure could come up with something that works.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
There are freak, gory accidents in every sport.   Joe Theisman.   Mike Utley.   Jason Kendall.   The Phillies (?) Mascot.   Dave Dravecky.   I feel bad for Paul George and I certainly don't need to see the video again.   I felt bad for the kid from Louisville last year, too.   Any time you jump, run, step on uneven ground, plant awkwardly, change direction, pivot, you run the risk of injuring something by landing wrong. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
The problem is the intensity and wear/tear on these players. Look at the Bucks the last few years where Bogut, Delfino, and Ersan all played for their national teams while recovering from nagging injuries. The NBA season is so intense that they need to rest in the summer. There is a huge difference between training for weeks with the national team compared to focusing on working out and then playing a few no defense pick ups games. If I'm an owner, I wouldn't want my players playing at such a high level across the world when paying them millions of dollars.

Freak accidents are more likely to happen when you don't have off seasons.

MU82

• All American
The problem is the intensity and wear/tear on these players. Look at the Bucks the last few years where Bogut, Delfino, and Ersan all played for their national teams while recovering from nagging injuries. The NBA season is so intense that they need to rest in the summer. There is a huge difference between training for weeks with the national team compared to focusing on working out and then playing a few no defense pick ups games. If I'm an owner, I wouldn't want my players playing at such a high level across the world when paying them millions of dollars.

Freak accidents are more likely to happen when you don't have off seasons.

I agree with this, and with Jay Bee earlier.

The stupid World Baseball Classic championed by Selig has resulted in numerous injuries, especially to pitchers who simply aren't ready to gear up their arms at full speed the first week in March.

After the second one of these, I read a report that something like 90% of the big-league pitchers participating had worse ERAs - in most cases, significantly worse ERAs - for their teams the following season. Duh! They were worn out!

You'd think with the 8- and 9-figure investments that owners put in these players, they would scream, "Enough!"

Yes, basketball players are going to play hoops in the offseason. Jordan famously had his "love of the game" clause that would allow him to play anytime he wanted. But it's different competing at a super-high level with alleged patriotism on the line.

If I sign up for the military and go to war zone, I very well could die. Of course, I also could die here in my little suburb while crossing the street. That doesn't mean they have equal odds of happening.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback