collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Law Library  (Read 4174 times)

Jackson_Downer

• Starter
Law Library
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
Is there something going on at the law library in the way of a fire?  My GF just called me about it but she doesn't have any details.
"Nice helmet!"
"Actually, it's not a helmet, it's a hairmet.  You see, it's got extra room in it so you don't mess up your hairdo."
"I'm going to write you a prescription for two testicles, you get it filled whenever."

-Scrubs

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: Law Library
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:18:28 PM »
I doubt it, I am in the law school right now in class.

Jackson_Downer

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
Thanks.  I knew she probably was mistaken.
"Nice helmet!"
"Actually, it's not a helmet, it's a hairmet.  You see, it's got extra room in it so you don't mess up your hairdo."
"I'm going to write you a prescription for two testicles, you get it filled whenever."

-Scrubs

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:07 PM »
Just came across this: @MarquetteU A fire has been reported at a construction site on campus. Workers have been evacuated and there are no reported injuries. More info to come
But I like to throw handfuls...

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »
Just came across this: @MarquetteU A fire has been reported at a construction site on campus. Workers have been evacuated and there are no reported injuries. More info to come
Ah, that might mean it could be a fire at the new law school site.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:55:11 PM »
1000 gallon propane tank catches fire at MU

By Ryan Haggerty of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Feb. 10, 2009 4:46 p.m.

A 1,000-gallon propane tank at a construction site at Marquette University caught fire this afternoon, but firefighters have the blaze under control, a Milwaukee Fire Department spokeswoman said.

Two other 1,000-gallon tanks are nearby but have not caught fire, said department spokeswoman Tiffany Wynn. Firefighters are spraying those tanks with water to keep them cool, she said.

The tanks are on a construction site at the university's law school, near N. 13th and W. Clybourn streets, Wynn said.

The fire was reported about 3:50 p.m., she said.

No injuries have been reported, and no one has been evacuated, Wynn said.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »
They've evacuated O'Hara, David Straz, Haggerty Museum, and Gesu as a precaution.

Might be a night off for those with class.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:08:54 PM »

Might be a night off for those with class.

So now they're all free to watch the basketball game?  Seems a little too convenient...

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:19:11 PM »
Just got out of class at Johnston Hall, nearest to the site. I got a text from a friend saying the Law Building was on fire, and so I went to check it out. Public Safety is blocking all streets nearby, and they aren't letting anybody near the fire.

From what I could see, the fire is still burning at the new law school site--Eckstein Hall. Apparently, a propane tank ruptured and went up in flames. The fire's under control, nobody's hurt, classes in the vicinity are evacuated, and my guess is that it definitely made a big dent in the progress on Eckstein Hall. What a shame.

Check out TMJ4 in Milwaukee. They keep showing it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:23:36 PM by bs4173 »

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »
Yeah, classes at Straz have been cancelled for the night.
The General has taken on a new command.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:12:56 PM »
and my guess is that it definitely made a big dent in the progress on Eckstein Hall. What a shame.

I dunno about that.  They haven't really started building the law school itself yet, just the parking structure that's going to be beneath it.  I haven't seen any video yet, but it's hard to believe that a gigantic pile of concrete was severely damaged by just fire.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
Video from WISN:  http://www.wisn.com/video/18685689/index.html

It looks like the tank is right out back of the Art Museum from that shot, and that means it might be only on the site, not actually IN the construction.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

CrazyCranium

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »
I had a decent view of the fire from my room in carpenter and they were spraying water on it for at least 2 hours.  There are still 2 or 3 fire trucks sitting there.  Also, my room had a strong propane smell for a while since i had both of my windows open (it is ridiculously warm right now).

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 11:20:11 PM »
Class was held in Johnston. I guess given the outcome, it wasn't THAT terrible. I got out in time to watch the last 4 minutes in the 1st floor computer lab.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »
Here's the email I got from the Dean of the Law School just now.

Dear Members of the Law School Community,

Many of you are aware that there was a fire yesterday afternoon at the Eckstein Hall construction site.  While there will be appropriate examination of the causes and consequences, I can report that two things are clear, even beyond the central point that no one was hurt: (1) We expect ordinary construction to resume no later than the beginning of next week (and perhaps even earlier), and (2) This incident will cause no delay in the projected 2010 opening date for Eckstein Hall.  I send you this note because some of you are especially interested in this matter; I will otherwise rely on the University’s official announcements, which are communicated periodically by e-mail.  Thank you. – JDK

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »
Good news! Thanks, Wareagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »
I came home to tmj4 news acting as if the apocolypse was happpening right on the grounds of the MU campus.

They certainly love to exagerate.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
canceled night classes at Straz???  Why the hell didn't I ever think of doing something like this in school?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:28 AM »
canceled night classes at Straz???  Why the hell didn't I ever think of doing something like this in school?
Lack of major construction projects?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle