Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Our Fans Suck  (Read 27351 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Our Fans Suck
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2020, 07:34:22 PM »
A lot of our fans are entitled babies who I wish I weren't associated with.

However, the team gave the fans nothing to cheer about today. If people want to leave early when the team is struggling that's their right to do so. Can't blame them today.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »
As a sports fan, I don’t really care if a high level athlete wants to thank me for their support.  I mean, if they wanted to thank me personally, sure, that would mean something.  But a speech after a loss during what’s so far been a mediocre season?  I have better things to do with my time.  When you factor in driving to and from the game, I’ve already given up four hours of my afternoon.  That’s enough, I think.  But hey, I’m also not the kind of guy who would attend a parade for a team that won a championship.  Those things don’t really do it for me.

My relationship with high level athletes can be broken down to a simple transaction.  I pay money to watch them play.  I expect to see a good game where they play hard, but sometimes one or both of those things don’t happen.  As a fan attending a game, I cheer when the team does well and, like everyone else, sit there in stunned silence when they fall behind by 24 points.  At the very minimum, my role is to not yell vile things, or throw stuff, or try to run onto the court/field.  But that’s the whole transaction.

What I’m saying is, I don’t owe it to a player to watch a post game speech.  I paid for my ticket, watched the game, didn’t do anything vile to get myself kicked out, and left.  They played 40 minutes of basketball.  Transaction complete.  They don’t care that I didn’t stay.

Right. That’s all great. You are entitled MU fan. The fan base in general is. That’s the point. You nailed it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2020, 07:42:02 PM »
BM1090

What are you talking about? Who is entitled? Folks that have supported the program for decades as a fan a financially probably have a different take than than others. IMO, not much to get excited about in regards to this program.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2020, 07:49:38 PM »
Some do, I’ve been a horrible fan last few years, expecting too much I guess.....last three years I’ve yelled way too much at kids trying to play ball :(
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2020, 07:54:48 PM »
fans leave early when the program sucks...can't believe people are even surprised about that fact????

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2020, 07:56:23 PM »
So Wojo’s a “dick” for not subbing Markus our to get a standing O, but it’s cool that fans left early and wouldn’t have been around to give the standing O anyway huh? And they couldn’t bother to stick around for his celebration and give him a standing O there?

Got it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2020, 08:03:13 PM »
BM1090

What are you talking about? Who is entitled? Folks that have supported the program for decades as a fan a financially probably have a different take than than others. IMO, not much to get excited about in regards to this program.

Yep.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2020, 08:04:41 PM »
BM1090

Completely missed the point.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2020, 08:04:54 PM »
BM1090

I wasn't referring to you nor people who have supported the program for decades financially. Not sure why you assumed that. There were plenty of people at the game today talking about how Markus shoots too much and they'll be happy when he's gone. I'm embarrassed to be associated with them, among others.

I specifically said I don't blame people for being frustrated and leaving early because the team gave them nothing to cheer about. I do blame people who are uniformed, whiny and vocal.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2020, 08:13:59 PM »
Calling out fans as entitled because they expect better of the team/program is the epitome of “loser mentality”.  I wish I grew up playing sports against some of the mental midgets on this board.  It would have been a lot of fun getting in your heads while competing against you.

The fact that our program has been surpassed by teams like Seton Hall and Providence should be troubling (hint...they were the doormats of the old big east).  Yet   some fans don’t blink an eye and attack others on this board for speaking out. 

At the end of the day, whether you like Wojo or not, the program
is not at the level Crean and Buzz had it at.  And they had success in a top to bottom tougher Big East conference.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 08:15:49 PM »
And yet 3 seniors have worked their ass off to entertain you for 5, 4, and 1 year and you reward them by leaving before they can thank you for your support.

You are defining what the post was about.

Let’s get them some participation medals!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 08:20:35 PM »
Don't know what it contributes to the discussion, but I've been cognizant of what the game attendees have posted. A lot of your comments are not germane to the many posters who are out of town and cannot attend games.

When I was in Milwaukee, I begged, stole and borrowed ways to get to games, including switching nights on call, etc. I did not often come out on the winning  side of my call switches.

If I had the luxury of attending MU games now, I would be completely ashamed  of myself if I did not give total respect and appreciation to players who have worked their asses off to represent MU in the best west way they could.

Here's wishing the best for Jayce, Sacar, and Markus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 08:25:21 PM »
Let’s get them some participation medals!

Sure.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 08:53:25 PM »
Calling out fans as entitled because they expect better of the team/program is the epitome of “loser mentality”.  I wish I grew up playing sports against some of the mental midgets on this board.  It would have been a lot of fun getting in your heads while competing against you.

The fact that our program has been surpassed by teams like Seton Hall and Providence should be troubling (hint...they were the doormats of the old big east).  Yet   some fans don’t blink an eye and attack others on this board for speaking out. 

is not at the level Crean and Buzz had it at.  And they had success in a top to bottom tougher Big East conference.

Wojo better than Willard at similar points of careers, but okay.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2020, 08:59:44 PM »
They were announced, but no. Would never criticize for getting to your kid’s game. I don’t believe the vast majority of people in the stadium had conflicts. Particularly the students.

Ultimately, who am I to say that people should stay for the speeches. Because I think it is the right thing to do absent a legit commitment doesn’t make it so. As a whole, I do think it says something about our fans.

I don't remember ever being part of a packed house Senior Day ceremony. Tack on the effect of a loss, and you're just not going to have many people stick around. I don't really think that says that much about our fans. It's just not a big deal to most people. *shrugs*

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2020, 09:01:35 PM »
I don't remember ever being part of a packed house Senior Day ceremony. Tack on the effect of a loss, and you're just not going to have many people stick around. I don't really think that says that much about our fans. It's just not a big deal to most people. *shrugs*

Right. And I’m not sure why it should be.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
I was a season ticket holder for many years. 18 or so times a year I drove 150 miles round trip to support the team. When seniors were honored  before the game I made sure to arrive early. When the ceremony was post game I stayed late. My preference. My choice. Never once did I sit in judgement of my fellow Marquette fans who couldn’t arrive early/stay late or just didn’t want to. These internecine battles over who is and who isn’t a “good fan” are pathetic and pointless. It’s “We are Marquette” not “We are Marquette and you’re not”. Talk about entitled. Pot meet kettle.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2020, 09:16:07 PM »
I was a season ticket holder for many years. 18 or so times a year I drove 150 miles round trip to support the team. When seniors were honored  before the game I made sure to arrive early. When the ceremony was post game I stayed late. My preference. My choice. Never once did I sit in judgement of my fellow Marquette fans who couldn’t arrive early/stay late or just didn’t want to. These internecine battles over who is and who isn’t a “good fan” are pathetic and pointless. It’s “We are Marquette” not “We are Marquette and you’re not”. Talk about entitled. Pot meet kettle.

Preach!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »

Yep.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2020, 09:21:11 PM »

Truth.

Truth.

Care to share with the board what the Seton Hall program accomplished from year 2000 until Willard took over?  It’s foolish to even raise the point. Hell, Hall hadn’t been relevant since 1990 with PJ Carilesmo.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2020, 09:25:00 PM »
Agree 100%. As long as you are not booing the players, do whatyawant.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2020, 09:48:31 PM »
OK, there are so many issues in this debate that are tangential to Senior Day that I lost count. Let me take a swipe at this one and hope we bring some clarity.

1) My support and admiration for Markus Howard, Sacar Anim and Jayce Johnson is not defined based on whether I was in attendance for a 15 minute post-game speech. It’s defined by the number of times I showed up at the Computing Castle and the Bradley Center to cheer these guys on. Or how many times I cleared my schedule so I could watch them on television. Or how strongly I loved MU basketball before they got here and after they left.

2) Markus is clearly among the best players ever for us. He has been a joy to watch (and I’ll probably see him Tuesday) and we will miss him. He represents the concept of “Men for Others” well and by all measures is a personification of what Marquette is about. Not sure how many other people I can say that about, but Markus fits the bill. His parents should take exceptional pride not just in him as a player but as a man.

3) We played a crappy game today. While it should have no bearing on how we feel about Sacar, Markus and Jayce, you can’t get away from the fact that of the teams ahead of us in the Big East (Villanova, Creighton, Seton Hall), we’re 1-5 against them. If our team improved and played as hard as Markus did every game, we’d have beaten Seton Hall. I’d probably have stuck around if I was not on the Treasure Coast, but I was in Florida and so I missed the game.

4) We are Marquette. Which means we need to let these guys know we love ‘em and we’re honored to have had ‘em. We expect them to do well in their next stop in life and thereafter.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »

Wojo took over a Program that was coming off a sustained run of making the NCAA tournament 8 straight years before buzz’s last season not to mention an administration that heavily funded our basketball program.  Marquette was an upper echelon team in a juggernaut conference.

Willard took over for a disgraced coach in Bobby Gonzalez.  Seton Hall made tournament a grand total of 3 times from 1994 (post pj) until Willard took over in 2010.  The fact that Willard has gotten them into the tourney 4 times in his tenure there is amazing considering their lack of basketball success since pj left.

Also, Willard won the big east tourney and upset nova in 2016 (his 6th year).  Do you honestly think Wojo is going to pull that off this year?

The fact that we are even comparing Wojo to Willard over their first 6 years is embarrassing.  Willard vastly overachieved and Wojo imo has underachieved.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:53:53 PM by DiaperDandy »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2020, 10:03:31 PM »
BM1090

Mother Goose,

You and I have given Marquette a significant amount of money over the years. I dare say that frames what constitutes a definitive supporter of the program.

Sadly, our financial support is on hold until we see better results which is, of course, our right.

I would hazard to say many questioning loyalty to the program have not given so much as a six pack’s worth of cash to Marquette. I find the irony in that is rather delicious.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2020, 10:05:38 PM »
I love when the meat eating lovers go into their rants about how charitable they are. There is nothing better than letting everyone know how much money you donate.