Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 15-16 thoughts  (Read 27232 times)

tower912

• All American
15-16 thoughts
« on: April 11, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
AS THE ROSTER CURRENTLY STANDS, some things I think going forward.
Strengths:   Athleticism, switchability at the 1-2-3, size.
Weaknesses:   Depth up front, youth, known 3 pt shooting, rebounding.

I am looking forward to seeing Wally, as well as another year of growth from Duane, Sandy, and JJJ.     With only 10 scholarship players, the freshmen are going to have to be ready from day 1.    All of the freshmen, not just Henry.     How fast will Heldt be ready?    When Henry needs a rest at the stretch 4, who will come in?    Can Heldt and Fischer play next to each other for a few minutes a game?    Will Wally and/or Sandy be able to play a few minutes at the 4?   Will this team be able to play the extended pressure man-to-man that Wojo envisions, or will he be forced again to mix and match zones?

I think MU will spend a fair amount of time in a 3 guard set. (I consider Wally and Sandy 3's by virtue of height) I think that Wally and Sandy will get minutes as a stretch 4 when Henry is on the bench.    If Haanif/Amin are ready instantly, I can see some small-ish ball,  Duane-JJJ-Haanif/Sacar-Wally-Luke, for example.     I can also see Henry getting minutes at the 5 defensively when Wojo wants to press.   In that case, offensively, it would probably be some 5-out motion. 

Everybody coming back from last year needs to get in the weight room.   Everybody needs to be on board the Italy trip, as the newcomers are going to have to rapidly get up to speed.      I anticipate additional players and more conversations a year from now about transfers.  And when the additional players are announced, I will disavow all of these thoughts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: 15-16 thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »
Next years team is the most difficult to predict in memory. 

You could have an interesting conversation just about point guard.
What are we getting in Traci Carter?  Does he start with Duane at the 2 or does Duane start?

I wonder if Wojo even knows at this point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »
I'm not sure Wojo even knows what to hope for at the point.    Do we want Carter to take over from day 1?   If he does, what does that do the rotation at the 2-3?  How many MPG can he actually play?   You said what I was trying to get at.   The 15-16 team is one giant question mark.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »
Next years team is the most difficult to predict in memory. 

You could have an interesting conversation just about point guard.
What are we getting in Traci Carter?  Does he start with Duane at the 2 or does Duane start?

I wonder if Wojo even knows at this point.

Considering expectations in the past seemed to have been to high, really difficult to say. We always go into the season hopeful. For this season to be interesting, we will need a few players to  surprise to the upside.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »
Too early to think about it. Let's enjoy the spring and summer, guys.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »

Got tired of politics.   Thought I would try basketball. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »
If Wally is our back up 4 we are screwed.

Thankful. There is like no chance that ends up the case.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »
I think it's too early to tell and depends so much on guys that aren't on the roster yet.  We need some beef and another point wouldn't hurt.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 04:51:51 PM »

Careful, Sandy was the backup 4 for some of the year. I believe he even started a few games there.

I'm not saying Wally should be the primary backup but I bet he'll get some time there.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 05:32:25 PM »
Some generic thoughts: I think the team will be really fun to watch. I think Duane will be one of the best players in the Big East. I will try to get to more than one game this year. I think Wally is going to make SportsCenter (eww, ESPN) top ten at some point. We are going to lose more than we'd like but we will improve throughout the year and compete like hell. I think this team has some guys who can give the team the kind of personality I want to see: playing nasty and with a bit of swagger. I think Henry will be back for a second year.

We'll see.

I also think MU basketball is on its way back. Ring out.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »
Careful, Sandy was the backup 4 for some of the year. I believe he even started a few games there.

I'm not saying Wally should be the primary backup but I bet he'll get some time there.

we were 13-19 so that's not really a ringing endorsement lol.

But we will add a 4 of some kind im almost certain.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »
we were 13-19 so that's not really a ringing endorsement lol.

But we will add a 4 of some kind im almost certain.

No idea what the roster will end up as but you're underselling Wally. If he improved his jump shot in the year off (and reports have said he has) he can contribute on a good team.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
No idea what the roster will end up as but you're underselling Wally. If he improved his jump shot in the year off (and reports have said he has) he can contribute on a good team.

I've stated on here many times that I think people are overselling him unless he gas improved DRAMATICALLY.

And either way he is not a 4 even if he turns out to be solid and improved.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
I've stated on here many times that I think people are overselling him unless he gas improved DRAMATICALLY.

I'll give you that. Definitely more of a wing than a 4.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 11:17:34 PM »
Wally is gonna be a fun guy to watch this year. He will be a fan favorite very early.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »

You continue to sell Wally short. Prepared to be pleasantly surprised!

You need to stop looking at the stats from Minnesota. They are useless. Think of him as a brand new player. And no, Wally is not a 4. But he is the biggest player on our roster after Henry, Luke, and Matt. So as the roster stands, he is our backup 4. But I agree, we should be able to land another player who could play the 4.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:25:58 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »
Wally barely played as a freshman because he was a new player on a very good, experienced team. His sophomore year he was never given a chance by the new coach.

As a high school player he was a high flyer with a solid jumper. He'll have had a year and a half to refine his game and settle in with a coach that wants him here. I don't expect him to be a star, but do think he can be a reliable contributor to this team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
You continue to sell Wally short. Prepared to be pleasantly surprised!

You need to stop looking at the stats from Minnesota. They are useless. Think of him as a brand new player. And no, Wally is not a 4. But he is the biggest player on our roster after Henry, Luke, and Matt. So as the roster stands, he is our backup 4. But I agree, we should be able to land another player who could play the 4.

I'm not looking at his stats. I haven't missed a gopher game in years(unless it's on the same time as MU, then the gophers get only during commercial treatment).

I have watched the kid play far more than you have. He's biggest issue was he couldn't guard me. We're going to play him at the 4? Literally zero chance.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
Wally barely played as a freshman because he was a new player on a very good, experienced team. His sophomore year he was never given a chance by the new coach.

As a high school player he was a high flyer with a solid jumper. He'll have had a year and a half to refine his game and settle in with a coach that wants him here. I don't expect him to be a star, but do think he can be a reliable contributor to this team.

Very good for gopher standards maybe. They were an 11 seed. Granted they did actually win a game.

Then his sophomore year it was an NIT team.

Wally is going to be the hustle guy. He will do some of the little things to help us win at times but that is probably what it's gonna max out at.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »
Very good for gopher standards maybe. They were an 11 seed. Granted they did actually win a game.

Then his sophomore year it was an NIT team.

Wally is going to be the hustle guy. He will do some of the little things to help us win at times but that is probably what it's gonna max out at.

Very good in terms of depth ahead of him. And he was out of Pitino's plans before conference play started. Thinking Wally won't be able to contribute here because of his sophomore year with a coach that didn't want him would be like saying Deonte Burton won't play for ISU because he didn't feature for Wojo.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »
Very good in terms of depth ahead of him. And he was out of Pitino's plans before conference play started. Thinking Wally won't be able to contribute here because of his sophomore year with a coach that didn't want him would be like saying Deonte Burton won't play for ISU because he didn't feature for Wojo.

No it's not lol. Not even close.

You are really trying to compare what deonte did and Wally?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
No it's not lol. Not even close.

You are really trying to compare what deonte did and Wally?

Yes. Neither did anything as sophomores because they didn't fit into the new coach's system.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
Yes. Neither did anything as sophomores because they didn't fit into the new coach's system.

Wally hasn't done anything as a D1 basketball player. Deonte has shown plenty of talent on the court and been able to at least play.

They are not comparable even in the slightest.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »
Wally hasn't done anything as a D1 basketball player. Deonte has shown plenty of talent on the court and been able to at least play.

They are not comparable even in the slightest.

They are comparable in that not playing for a new coach probably should be taken with a grain of salt.  I know that Wally isn't as good as Deonte, but between one injury year and one year with a new coach, I wouldn't doubt that he is better than you are giving him credit for.  He is pretty much an unknown.

feedback