'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: LW on the Dodds Board  (Read 26967 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: LW on the Dodds Board
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2013, 06:49:48 AM »
Numerous people who are huge followers, have connections with people that are big doners or are otherwise well connected have for the most part heard the very loud whispers regarding the awful relationship between our AD and coach.  You are either trying to douse the flame, are not listening closely, or are hoping that what is continuously being said out there, by numerous people who would have to all be making this stuff up, just somehow is not true. I certainly hope it's all not true as well but it's also hard to believe that all these people are in on some sort of big conspiracy....

You are right and wrong.

There have been rumors from people who seem to have connections. There have also been rumors disputing some of those claims.

The problem is, humans, (especially on the interwebs) read what they want to read and forget the rest. We all have our own confirmation biases, and when things get repeated over and over sometimes it because a "truth". (ie "Where there is smoke, there is fire!")

The fact is:
MU spends a tremendous amount on basketball and has 2 people (LW and Fr. Pilarz) who have a pedigree in private school athletics.

Now, does that mean that everything is perfect with BW and LW? Absolutely not.

But, I have a hard time being convinced that LW and Fr. Pilarz intend to downgrade MU hoops (as was rumored) or dislike Buzz so much that they are trying to run him out. It doesn't pass the logic sniff test.

What is likely:
Buzz and Larry had/have some friction because they are both alpha-types. I assume they are both bright enough to compromise and get along. If they can't, then both of their careers will be limited.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2013, 07:16:59 AM »
We all have our own confirmation biases....

Congrats, Guns! You've made the quote wall of fame in my footer!

We all hear only what we want to hear. The "numerous" people, from what I remember, was really just one or two folks. They posted a lot and all over every thread, but it was the same information over and over again.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but it was hardly conclusive proof of anything.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »
LW doesn't get much leeway after buzz leaked the SMU embarrassment through IWB.   We hope we keep him isn't exactly the assertive tone you want.  But actions speak much louder than words so I don't really care about that.  Pilarz and LW need to be assertive and aggressive in their actions.  This is when u find out what your ad is made of this is showtime.  We have two minor leaguers in pilarz and lw. Hopefully they're now ready for the big leagues and the competition.

Again people, Larry Williams is Ted Thompson.
Chillax!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »
And I believe in puppy dogs and unicorns...

I love my puppy....I don't believe in unicorns.   To each their own, Goodman and Parish talk to Buzz...they aren't talking to LW.  Unless you are accusing Goodman and Parrish of lying or making stuff up, it's common sense.  Every time they put this BS out there (which seems to be every time there is a coach opening) it only gets some people all spun up, the same cast of characters here and at the other place.  Buzz knows those guys, he's tight with them, all he has to do is tell them to stop putting that crap in their articles.  This isn't hard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2013, 09:26:53 AM »

What is likely:
Buzz and Larry had/have some friction because they are both alpha-types. I assume they are both bright enough to compromise and get along. If they can't, then both of their careers will be limited.

Agree with your alpha-types statement, but that by its nature makes compromise difficult - smart guys or not.

Everybody's first choice is that they become fast friends.

Everybody's second choice is peaceful co-existence.

What is A or B, for whatever reason, isn't possible? Larry has the title and technically is the "boss", but who's kidding who(m)? I mean, Mark Spoelstra is Lebron's boss too, but let's get real. If they can't get along and one has to go, who will/should it be? I hope it never to comes to that here, but if it does Buzz Williams is infinitely more important to Marquette University than Larry Williams.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
Agree with your alpha-types statement, but that by its nature makes compromise difficult - smart guys or not.

What is A or B, for whatever reason, isn't possible? Larry has the title and technically is the "boss", but who's kidding who(m)? I mean, Mark Spoelstra is Lebron's boss too, but let's get real. If they can't get along and one has to go, who will/should it be? I hope it never to comes to that here, but if it does Buzz Williams is infinitely more important to Marquette University than Larry Williams.

I agree with you, but this is where I'm torn (personally).

I do know the the head basketball coach at MU is more "important" than the AD. It's a fact.

BUT, I am not comfortable with the head coach being "in charge". A head coach will always be evaluated on Wins and Losses, and therefore I think he/she will always incredible pressure to make decisions that ultimately help the team win, which might not always align with doing what is best for the university.

I like the idea of an AD who's job security isn't directly tied to wins and losses because his decisions (in theory) aren't directly influenced by what will win more games.

I don't say any of this because of Williams or Williams specifically. I just think structurally, that's how I want it.

With all of this said, what I described above can be a tough balance when egos get involved. As cliche as it sounds, communication is key. If both parties communicate well, a lot of "issues" go away. If they don't communicate well, then things tend to fester and people become entrenched in his/her own viewpoint and everything can spiral.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2013, 10:44:46 AM »

I love my puppy....I don't believe in unicorns.   To each their own, Goodman and Parish talk to Buzz...they aren't talking to LW.  Unless you are accusing Goodman and Parrish of lying or making stuff up, it's common sense.  Every time they put this BS out there (which seems to be every time there is a coach opening) it only gets some people all spun up, the same cast of characters here and at the other place.  Buzz knows those guys, he's tight with them, all he has to do is tell them to stop putting that crap in their articles.  This isn't hard.

I am not accusing anyone of lying...Broeker also talks to those guys...and LW has his set..as do the others...you know that...it is part of the business...but your point is that Buzz is the one out on the limb with the spin...Get real, you know that as you live it.  Delany is a master of it...so is Black Jack, LW's mentor.  To act like Buzz is a the single outlier is fantasy land. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »

And you wonder why I put up all those quotes the other day from people that truly think MU should just leave Buzz alone, no oversight, just let Buzz be Buzz, get out of his way.

You may be right that Buzz is bigger than Larry.  But Buzz isn't bigger than Marquette, and that is fundamentally what is at the heart of it all.  This is an institution of higher learning, not basketball, inc. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
I am not accusing anyone of lying...Broeker also talks to those guys...and LW has his set..as do the others...you know that...it is part of the business...but your point is that Buzz is the one out on the limb with the spin...Get real, you know that as you live it.  Delany is a master of it...so is Black Jack, LW's mentor.  To act like Buzz is a the single outlier is fantasy land. 

I've said person(s)....I don't disagree there are others that are out there talking, but it's not LW.  It would behoove all of them to knock it off, unless there is an agenda out there for which they are trying to push.  Dirty laundry airing doesn't do any entity any favors and only sours the soup even more.  Enough. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
I've said person(s)....I don't disagree there are others that are out there talking, but it's not LW.  It would behoove all of them to knock it off, unless there is an agenda out there for which they are trying to push.  Dirty laundry airing doesn't do any entity any favors and only sours the soup even more.  Enough. 

The bolded part is the only part we disagree.  LW is VERY adept at using the media to get his points across via the back channel, better often than when the mic is on.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2013, 05:57:30 PM »
Reminds me of a certain MU coach

Really? I didn't think Rick had it in him.

Death on call