collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:48:19 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Biggest chokes in sports history?  (Read 9695 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Biggest chokes in sports history?
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:24:41 PM »
I've got the 2007 New England Patriots, 2001 Seattle Mariners and the 2016 Golden State Warriors. 

Any others that you'd put on that level?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skitch

• All American
Re: Biggest chokes in sports history?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:29:17 PM »
How about the undefeated UNLV team that lost to Duke in 91?

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:33:01 PM »
Don't think losing to a team with LeBron James on it can be considered a choke.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »
Don't think losing to a team with LeBron James on it can be considered a choke.

I agree.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 11:35:08 PM »
When you're up 3-1 with 2 more at home I think it is

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 11:37:09 PM »
When you're up 3-1 with 2 more at home I think it is

When your starting 4 gets suspended for one of the home games and then your only rim protector against the 2 best finishers at the rim in the NBA/starting 5 gets injured in game 5 and is out for the series it changes things.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 11:45:58 PM »
When your starting 4 gets suspended for one of the home games and then your only rim protector against the 2 best finishers at the rim in the NBA/starting 5 gets injured in game 5 and is out for the series it changes things.

Word.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 11:54:36 PM »

That's fair but I also think Green getting suspended was part of the choke. It's something he did himself, not like the Bogut situation

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »
I hate to say it, but the Packers probably need to be included for Super Bowl 32. Pretty sure they were 14 point favorites.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 12:14:42 AM »
I hate to say it, but the Packers probably need to be included for Super Bowl 32. Pretty sure they were 14 point favorites.

Within a single game the Packers at Seattle 2 years ago. Or 15-1 Packers who didn't even win a single Playoff game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 12:45:23 AM »
Within a single game the Packers at Seattle 2 years ago. Or 15-1 Packers who didn't even win a single Playoff game.

Good lord I had completely blocked out that Seahawks game but you're right.  If we're talking about within a game then I think the biggest might be Oilers losing to the Bills in early 90's after leading 35-3 at halftime.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 01:27:48 AM »
I think it's not a choke when your team loses in 7 to a team that has the best player in basketball.  As a huge GSW fan, I have to say well done to Cleveland. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 03:15:59 AM »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 07:15:36 AM »
I've got the 2007 New England Patriots, 2001 Seattle Mariners and the 2016 Golden State Warriors. 

Yanks blowing 3 games to none lead to Red Sox and a 4-3 lead heading into the 9th of game 4 with Mariano Rivera ready to close. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
This wasn't a choke.    Cleveland earned it.   Having Green miss a game and Bogut out certainly helped the momentum shift to the Cavaliers.   But remember, without Irving and Love, Cleveland took GS to 6 last year.    Time to acknowledge that LeBron is an all-timer.    Losing to an all-timer, with all of his teammates healthy, while not having all of your pieces every game, is not a choke. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 07:53:37 AM »
This wasn't a choke.    Cleveland earned it.   Having Green miss a game and Bogut out certainly helped the momentum shift to the Cavaliers.   But remember, without Irving and Love, Cleveland took GS to 6 last year.    Time to acknowledge that LeBron is an all-timer.    Losing to an all-timer, with all of his teammates healthy, while not having all of your pieces every game, is not a choke. 

Preach.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 07:54:18 AM »
You go 73-9 and are up 3-1 it's a choke. I don't care if it's against the 96 Bulls, you have that type of regular season you're expected to win or else you choked.

That isn't taking anything away from lebron, not a fan of his persona or demeanor but he is an all time great.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »
You gotta have the 2012 U.S. Ryder Cup team on the short list.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »

2001 Mariners wasn't a choke either.  The Yankees were just a way better team despite Seattle's inflated record.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
I don't view it as a choke for many of the reasons stated here.  Bogut was more important than people realized.  Green being suspended too.

Packers giving away the NFCCG was a far bigger choke IMO.  I guess I view chokes as more immediate than that.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »
Choke? Lebron failing to even acknowledge Bill Russell after Russell handed him the Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
Green being suspended too.

Now that it cost his team a championship (according to Green and plenty of others), I wonder if Green will get those spastic limbs under control so that they don't involuntarily flail and cause him to get suspended.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
Now that it cost his team a championship (according to Green and plenty of others), I wonder if Green will get those spastic limbs under control so that they don't involuntarily flail and cause him to get suspended.

At the same time, do we get to hear how lucky LeBron and the Cavs are to have had Bogut go out with injury like we heard about the Warriors all year?  Losing Love was addition by subtraction.  Losing Irving hurt.  Losing Bogut hurt this year.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 09:15:36 AM »
Absolutely losing Bogut hurt.  I knew it as soon as it happened.  It was one of the things that happened in the series -- that happen in many series (most? all?)  -- that had an affect.  It's absolutely not in the same league as the Cavs losing two starters last year, but definitely it had an impact on the series.  Maybe changed the outcome...maybe not.  Hard to know.  Incidentally, I'd say the same thing about Iving and Love last year.

I just think a lot of people made too many apologies for Green -- "it was involuntary."  BS.  He's a world class athlete and a hell of a player.  He could control those things if he wanted to.  I suspect in the future he'll want to.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »
Davidson, 2013.

Yeah, I said it.

Or if it makes you feel better, Northern Iowa, 2016.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback