[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Harbaugh  (Read 8019 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Harbaugh
« on: October 12, 2015, 03:14:49 PM »
Seems to be working out. Somehow this hire is still not overrated. Unbelievable. Love this guy.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

chapman

• All American
Re: Harbaugh
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
DATE   OPPONENT   RESULT

Sat, Sept 26   
vs #22 BYU
W31-0

Sat, Oct 3   
@ Maryland
W28-0

Sat, Oct 10   
vs #13 Northwestern
W38-0

Meanwhile...

NFC WEST   W   L   T   PCT   HOME   ROAD   DIV   CONF   PF   PA   DIFF   STRK
San Francisco 49ers   1   4   0   .200   1-1   0-3   0-1   1-3   75   140   -65   L4

Thanks, Jed.

>:(

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 06:16:19 PM »
DATE   OPPONENT   RESULT

Sat, Sept 26   
vs #22 BYU
W31-0

Sat, Oct 3   
@ Maryland
W28-0

Sat, Oct 10   
vs #13 Northwestern
W38-0

Meanwhile...

NFC WEST   W   L   T   PCT   HOME   ROAD   DIV   CONF   PF   PA   DIFF   STRK
San Francisco 49ers   1   4   0   .200   1-1   0-3   0-1   1-3   75   140   -65   L4

Thanks, Jed.

>:(
Exactly. If I weren't a Lions fan, I'd deem SF to have incompetent management.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »
Jed York should be laughed at especially during SB 50.

Harbaugh is a polarizing figure. Too much of a college coach in him to be an NFL coach.

Greg Roman (ex-OC) mucked up playcalling with Harboo and tried to turn Kap into something he wasn't.

York gets the bulk of the blame but Harboo and Roman get their share as well.

- BYU was at home
- MD sucks hard
- NU was at home

still impressive victories, but you need to win away to impress people.

Not that intimidating of an away schedule left: @Minny, @Indy, @PSU
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »

- BYU was at home
- MD sucks hard
- NU was at home

BYU and NU were both ranked teams. And throwing three consecutive shutouts is a feat at any level.

I bleed Maize and Blue but fully expected this year and next to be rebuilding. Harbaugh has them playing together. Hoke could recruit but he was not a good game coach.

The excitement in Ann Arbor is real. And it should be.

Death on call

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 11:25:08 PM »
Jed York should be laughed at especially during SB 50.

Harbaugh is a polarizing figure. Too much of a college coach in him to be an NFL coach.

Greg Roman (ex-OC) mucked up playcalling with Harboo and tried to turn Kap into something he wasn't.

York gets the bulk of the blame but Harboo and Roman get their share as well.

- BYU was at home
- MD sucks hard
- NU was at home

still impressive victories, but you need to win away to impress people.

Not that intimidating of an away schedule left: @Minny, @Indy, @PSU
The "polarizing figure" "running people the wrong way" items about Harbaugh don't seem any greater than any other successful coach (Saban? Miles? Meyer?) all coaches at that level are maniacally competitive.

And the wins are impressive because he turned the same talent into the #2 defense in the country and three consecutive shutouts. Hasn't been done in 20 years.

You can only play the schedule you have in the order it's set. They've outplayed OSU and MSU thus far, and their only loss is on the road to a Top 5 team.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 09:39:33 AM »
Harbaugh is a crazy person, no doubt, but I think the failings in SF had more to do with ownership and front office than him.  Similar as you are seeing with Pagano in Indy, who is a pretty well-liked guy.

UM's turn around has been stunning.  The Utah game is even more interesting now cause that was a top 5 team in a very tough home environment whereas at the time it seemed like UM was still overmatched against a 20-25 range team.  The BYU and NU games are impressive in the way that they were won.  BYU was a bit tired, but as said, was ranked and they got their doors blown off.  Same with NU, this is a very good NU team who embarrassed Stanford and is probably the 4th best team in the B10 behind UM, MSU, and OSU, and they were never even in the game.  I have a lot of very good friends who are huge OSU fans, from my time going to school in Ohio, and needless to say, they are getting kind of anxious and antsy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
Some NFL team is going to give Harbaugh the keys to the kingdom eventually.  He has been an extremely good coach at all levels, and I think Wags is spot on...time will show (if it hasn't already) that he wasn't the source of SF's problems.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 10:31:25 AM »
I have a lot of very good friends who are huge OSU fans

WTFO?

Don't ever call me again, Justin. Ever!

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 11:11:19 AM »
WTFO?

Don't ever call me again, Justin. Ever!

Ive always subscribed the the Christian principles of acceptance and tolerance to the less fortunate and mentally challenged amongst us.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »
Harbaugh is the real deal and Keefe is going to have a lot of fun Saturday's watching his boys win and win big over the next few years.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:41:40 AM »
Some NFL team is going to give Harbaugh the keys to the kingdom eventually.  He has been an extremely good coach at all levels, and I think Wags is spot on...time will show (if it hasn't already) that he wasn't the source of SF's problems.

I agree that most of what happened in SF was not on Harbaugh. But from what is being said in UofM circles, Harbaugh is very, very happy to be back home in A2.

While I certainly have no crystal ball, I do think he is much more suited in style and temperament as a college coach. Word is that being given the keys to Schembechler's car was a very big deal for him.   

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 12:14:23 PM »
I agree that most of what happened in SF was not on Harbaugh. But from what is being said in UofM circles, Harbaugh is very, very happy to be back home in A2.

While I certainly have no crystal ball, I do think he is much more suited in style and temperament as a college coach. Word is that being given the keys to Schembechler's car was a very big deal for him.   

And that very well could be the case.  Like Nick Saban, the college game and lifestyle may suit him more. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
One of the few times where the novelty of an alum like Harbaugh works out cause he's actually a really good coach. I wish Northwestern would part ways with Fitz. He's done good things for the program but he's just not that good of a coach.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 05:27:52 PM »
Wisconsin chancellor says Michigan, Ohio State overpaying coaches

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/10/08/wisconsin-chancellor-michigan-ohio-state-overpaying-coaches-jim-harbaugh-urban-meyer/73578490/

I've never understood the problem any school would have with this as long as they are profitable. In Michigan, OSU's and (if the most recent AD stats are to be believed) Wisconsin's cases they are.

The role of an Athletic Dept is to reinvest proceeds into the student athletes through scholarships, better facilities and personnel.

Bucky is cheap.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:40:47 PM by Grayson Allen »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 09:59:45 PM »
Don't know why, but I turned on 105.7 FM The Fan on my ride home from work.  I heard the genius that is Gary Ellerson talking about how arrogant Michigan fans are and that MSU can't let them win this weekend because if they do they'll be in the top 5 in the rankings, and, as he said, "They aren't good.  They're really not a good football team."  I turned my iPod back on immediately.  What a dope.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 09:36:45 AM »
One of the few times where the novelty of an alum like Harbaugh works out cause he's actually a really good coach. I wish Northwestern would part ways with Fitz. He's done good things for the program but he's just not that good of a coach.

In favor of?  I totally disagree that he's not a good coach.  He's been badly snakebitten by injuries for a few years, and even still, his record overshadows any of the most successful NW coaches, by and large.  Last 2 years were rough, but he has a very good team this year, regardless of a rough showing on the road at a top 5 team.  He's in a very difficult spot, same restrictions as somewhere like Stanford, but without the weather and fertile grounds to recruit in.  To top it all off, he's still incredibly young for a coach at 40.  NW is in great shape with him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 09:40:38 AM »

I don't think you realize how difficult the Northwestern job is.  It is not a program that is going to have sustained success at the highest levels given their admission standards and their exposure.  They just aren't going to become TCU or Baylor because they won't sell out to do so.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »

And that very well could be the case.  Like Nick Saban, the college game and lifestyle may suit him more.

And the same with Harbaugh.

No doubt, the SF FO was nuts but most high profile, winning coaches in the NFL aren't so blaring or attention loving like Harboo.

He'll undoubtably do well at UM. College kids love coaches like him.
NFL players maybe not so much.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
Ive always subscribed the the Christian principles of acceptance and tolerance to the less fortunate and mentally challenged amongst us.

There are misguided souls in the world. Your act of charity is acknowledged!

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »

I don't think you realize how difficult the Northwestern job is.  It is not a program that is going to have sustained success at the highest levels given their admission standards and their exposure.  They just aren't going to become TCU or Baylor because they won't sell out to do so.

People always cite this but universities with comparable admissions profiles have proven to be competitive without compromising their academic standards. Michigan, UVA, UCLA, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Cal are in the same class as Northwestern and have fielded more consistently successful programs.

When I was a grad student at U of M there was talk of booting Northwestern out of the Big 10 because they were atrocious - in every sport.

Marquette should not be a national program that can compete with state schools that are 500% larger. But it has made a firm commitment to being so and invests accordingly.

Northwestern has access to significant resources. It chooses not to employ them as have other nationally prominent academic schools.  The "we are academically great so we can't be competitive in athletics" argument is simply wrong. 

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
People always cite this but universities with comparable admissions profiles have proven to be competitive without compromising their academic standards. Michigan, UVA, UCLA, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Cal are in the same class as Northwestern and have fielded more consistently successful programs.

When I was a grad student at U of M there was talk of booting Northwestern out of the Big 10 because they were atrocious - in every sport.

Marquette should not be a national program that can compete with state schools that are 500% larger. But it has made a firm commitment to being so and invests accordingly.

Northwestern has access to significant resources. It chooses not to employ them as have other nationally prominent academic schools.  The "we are academically great so we can't be competitive in athletics" argument is simply wrong.

All of those schools that you listed other than Stanford will make exceptions to their admissions standards for student athletes.  Stanford and the Ivy's require that even their student athletes meet the minimum admission requirements for the general student body in order to be accepted into the school.  Those schools may set a minimum requirement of (just using examples) a 29 ACT and 3.4 GPA on a 4.0 scale, but the reality may be that to even be considered a student really needs a 32 and 3.7 GPA plus a bunch of extracurriculars, which is where the student athlete gets their preferential treatment from in that they simply need that 29 ACT and 3.4 GPA.  But they must meet those minimum listed academic requirements to get into Stanford and the Ivy's.  Cal, Michigan, UVA, UCLA, and Notre Dame do not require that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »
Yea I can pretty much guaranty that Michigan, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc have many more "admissions exceptions" built into their agreements with coaches than Northwestern does. 

This is the main reason that Northwestern basketball has been so long without an NCAA birth.  Here's a story.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/11/bernstein-northwestern-should-just-play-ball/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:46 AM »
Yea I can pretty much guaranty that Michigan, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc have many more "admissions exceptions" built into their agreements with coaches than Northwestern does. 

This is the main reason that Northwestern basketball has been so long without an NCAA birth.  Here's a story.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/01/11/bernstein-northwestern-should-just-play-ball/

Those schools may have "admissions exceptions" but UNC excels in creating purpose-built curricula for today's student-athlete.

Death on call

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 11:10:56 AM »
And the same with Harbaugh.

No doubt, the SF FO was nuts but most high profile, winning coaches in the NFL aren't so blaring or attention loving like Harboo.

He'll undoubtably do well at UM. College kids love coaches like him.
NFL players maybe not so much.

College kids are with a coach for the short-term (3-5 years) and, for the most part, have no previous experience with other head coaches at that level. Styles like Harbaugh's can wear thin after too long or may never be fully accepted by players who've played under other regimes (i.e. NFL vets). It's important for them to get players out the door before they turn on them, which is why some coaches are much better suited for college. The Harbaughs, Sabans, etc of the coaching world could never sustain a successful long-term NFL career.

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »
College kids are with a coach for the short-term (3-5 years) and, for the most part, have no previous experience with other head coaches at that level. Styles like Harbaugh's can wear thin after too long or may never be fully accepted by players who've played under other regimes (i.e. NFL vets). It's important for them to get players out the door before they turn on them, which is why some coaches are much better suited for college. The Harbaughs, Sabans, etc of the coaching world could never sustain a successful long-term NFL career.
I feel like this is an echo chamber with a lot of innuendo and no real substance. What specific behaviors of Harbaugh's are so grating? Where has he gone over the line?

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »
All of those schools that you listed other than Stanford will make exceptions to their admissions standards for student athletes.  Stanford and the Ivy's require that even their student athletes meet the minimum admission requirements for the general student body in order to be accepted into the school.  Those schools may set a minimum requirement of (just using examples) a 29 ACT and 3.4 GPA on a 4.0 scale, but the reality may be that to even be considered a student really needs a 32 and 3.7 GPA plus a bunch of extracurriculars, which is where the student athlete gets their preferential treatment from in that they simply need that 29 ACT and 3.4 GPA.  But they must meet those minimum listed academic requirements to get into Stanford and the Ivy's.  Cal, Michigan, UVA, UCLA, and Notre Dame do not require that.
If you're saying that athletes at Ivies would have been admitted otherwise, I will challenge you on that. Personally know of two examples where that is absolutely false, one being a high school classmate of mine with a 1,000 SAT score who played at Penn.

The other a coworker who played at Harvard with self-admittedly mediocre grades in high school.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 10:09:16 AM »

Keefe, I think we're 100% in agreement on this and I love it.

The University of Chicago is sort of a bizarro-Northwestern in that it had a dominant football program (original B10 member, and only team undefeated against Notre Dame). They chose to scrap it when their president foresaw the runaway spending around football ahead. As a private research institution, they've decided to be great at pretty much everything they do (see The Economist's MBA rankings released yesterday), and shed their involvement in areas where they wouldn't.

Northwestern is a comparable institution academically, but I have to wonder how much of a distraction athletics is for them. It's one of the few areas where Northwestern isn't among the leaders in the field.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:15:24 AM by Grayson Allen »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 10:21:19 AM »
Keefe, I think we're 100% in agreement on this and I love it.

The University of Chicago is sort of a bizarro-Northwestern in that it had a dominant football program (original B10 member, and only team undefeated against Notre Dame). They chose to scrap it when their president foresaw the runaway spending around football ahead. As a private research institution, they've decided to be great at pretty much everything they do (see The Economist's MBA rankings released yesterday), and shed their involvement in areas where they wouldn't.

Northwestern is a comparable institution academically, but I have to wonder how much of a distraction athletics is for them. It's one of the few areas where Northwestern isn't among the leaders in the field.

Just two different paths that lead to the same endpoint.  Hard to call athletics a "distraction" considering how successful Northwestern is as an institution.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »

Just two different paths that lead to the same endpoint.  Hard to call athletics a "distraction" considering how successful Northwestern is as an institution.
Sure... maybe I didn't communicate that well. Not crapping on NW, but just thinking how much better might they be, regardless if they're ahead/behind UofC in any category.

I'm assuming NW's athletics don't pay for themselves. Nor are they really a significant part of the identity of the institution like BBall is at Marquette or Football at Michigan/Texas/ND/etc

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
If you're saying that athletes at Ivies would have been admitted otherwise, I will challenge you on that. Personally know of two examples where that is absolutely false, one being a high school classmate of mine with a 1,000 SAT score who played at Penn.

The other a coworker who played at Harvard with self-admittedly mediocre grades in high school.

I have no idea what the listed requirements are for Penn or Harvard.  I do know that Ivy's require that whatever those listed minimum requirements are are met.  The "listed" requirements might not be all that absurd.  For example, while not one of the Ivy's, I know that, depending on your GPA, you can "get into" Stanford with a 27 ACT.  But in reality, if you aren't an athlete, that 27 won't get you anywhere close to Stanford.

Ivy's also do not offer athletic scholarships.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »
I have no idea what the listed requirements are for Penn or Harvard.  I do know that Ivy's require that whatever those listed minimum requirements are are met.  The "listed" requirements might not be all that absurd.  For example, while not one of the Ivy's, I know that, depending on your GPA, you can "get into" Stanford with a 27 ACT.  But in reality, if you aren't an athlete, that 27 won't get you anywhere close to Stanford.

Ivy's also do not offer athletic scholarships.
Seems a nonzero portion of the admitted class to Stanford had an 18-23 on the ACT.

http://admission.stanford.edu/basics/selection/profile.html

You're claiming there is an official list of minimum requirements of scores, GPAs, etc for these universities?

EDIT: Still looking around for some backup for your claim that there are objective minimum requirements for admissions to colleges. From Harvard's own website:

Q "Do I need certain grades or marks to be considered for admission?"
A "...we do not have rigid grade requirements"

Q "Do I need a minimum required SAT, ACT or Subject Test score?"
A "We do not have minimum scores or cut-offs."

https://college.harvard.edu/frequently-asked-questions
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:21:38 AM by Grayson Allen »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »
Seems a nonzero portion of the admitted class to Stanford had an 18-23 on the ACT.

http://admission.stanford.edu/basics/selection/profile.html

You're claiming there is an official list of minimum requirements of scores, GPAs, etc for these universities?

EDIT: Still looking around for some backup for your claim that there are objective minimum requirements for admissions to colleges. From Harvard's own website:

Q "Do I need certain grades or marks to be considered for admission?"
A "...we do not have rigid grade requirements"

Q "Do I need a minimum required SAT, ACT or Subject Test score?"
A "We do not have minimum scores or cut-offs."

https://college.harvard.edu/frequently-asked-questions

Yes, I'm claiming there is a minimum requirement of scores.  I just finished coaching a kid/going through the recruiting process with a kid who is now starting his freshman season at Stanford and he needed to retake the ACT because he did not reach their minimum grade to allow him into the school the first time around.  They gave him a solid ACT score that he needed to get to be admitted into the school.

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
Yes, I'm claiming there is a minimum requirement of scores.  I just finished coaching a kid/going through the recruiting process with a kid who is now starting his freshman season at Stanford and he needed to retake the ACT because he did not reach their minimum grade to allow him into the school the first time around.  They gave him a solid ACT score that he needed to get to be admitted into the school.

So he must have gotten a 22 or below on the ACT?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2015, 11:25:53 AM »
So he must have gotten a 22 or below on the ACT?

Not even close.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
Question though Wade. Isn't Stanford a private institution? All your player would need is the NCAA minimum. Stanford has the ability to accept whoever they want. I'm not saying your wrong, it's just kinda weird.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 02:46:15 PM »
Question though Wade. Isn't Stanford a private institution? All your player would need is the NCAA minimum. Stanford has the ability to accept whoever they want. I'm not saying your wrong, it's just kinda weird.

I'm sure they are allowed to take whoever they want, but they only accept student athletes who meet their minimum requirements for the general student body.  So while they may have the option to take someone who had a 2.4 GPA and got a 23 on his ACT, they won't.

This player had a good, but not incredible, ACT score the first time around and had to retake it and wait anxiously to see if he improved his score enough the 2nd time around.  He was all set to accept the very large athletic scholarship from Ball State (the type of scholarship that you only get when you're one of the top players in the entire country, given that men's volleyball only get 3.5 scholarships to distribute among the entire roster - so they made it clear he was their absolute top priority in the entire program, not just that recruiting class) had he not gotten the score he needed to get into Stanford.

Stanford will not bend their admission standards for student athletes.  They will accept a student athlete over a non-student athlete who may be more qualified as just a student, though.

This is compared to some top schools that will only bend their admission standards for X amount of student athletes per athletic team (for example, NYU was offering a pretty good athletic scholarship on another kid I coached a few years back.  He was smart, but not smart enough that he would've otherwise gotten into NYU, but they were allowed 4 "exceptions" on their roster - he ended up going elsewhere).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »
http://thehuskyhaul.com/2012/05/16/comparing-the-acceptance-rates-of-athletes-to-the-general-public/

"Some universities are known for not making any exceptions to their high academic standings. Stanford for instance actually takes advantage of that by only recruiting athletes who would have already made it through the admissions process (or at least would have been competitive) without sports. Perhaps there is a little bit of rule bending, benefit of the doubt, or advantage to being a star recruit, but for the most part, the players who are on the field for Stanford were straight-A high school students with high SAT scores. Stanford is able to recruit nationally in a way few other schools can primarily because they have the advantage of having an Ivy League reputation while still playing in a BCS conference (and they actually offer scholarships). They have turned what could have been a major disadvantage into an asset and have been able to field BCS bowl football teams and make deep runs in the NCAA tournament in basketball. In addition, Stanford has more national championships than any other university in the country (102) except UCLA (108)."

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
Wade - I'm not saying Stanford isn't competitive but your sources are dubious for professing to know the exact workings of Stanford and Ivy Leage institutions.

In fact the published data referenced above BY those institutions contradicts your point.

Oure making a pretty huge leap off of one anecdotal observation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
Wade - I'm not saying Stanford isn't competitive but your sources are dubious for professing to know the exact workings of Stanford and Ivy Leage institutions.

In fact the published data referenced above BY those institutions contradicts your point.

Oure making a pretty huge leap off of one anecdotal observation.

You're right.  I'm just making a complete leap of faith despite having just helped a kid go through the recruiting process about 6 months ago.

In fact, when John Kosty told him, "We need you to get a XX on your ACT," he was just scaring the kid into studying harder for the ACT to make Stanford look better.  He was willing to risk losing what he (and other coaches) considered a pretty important recruit just so that the kid would try harder the next time he took the ACT (which was well above the NCAA minimum requirements) just to increase the average ACT scores of his team/school.

Or something like that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 03:09:10 PM by wadesworld »

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »
You're right.  I'm just making a complete leap of faith despite having just helped a kid go through the recruiting process about 6 months ago.

In fact, when John Kosty told him, "We need you to get a XX on your ACT," he was just scaring the kid into studying harder for the ACT to make Stanford look better.  He was willing to risk losing what he (and other coaches) considered a pretty important recruit just so that the kid would try harder the next time he took the ACT (which was well above the NCAA minimum requirements) just to increase the average ACT scores of his team/school.

Or something like that.
I'm not saying that, nor am I saying you're making up your experience with a student and their interaction with SU. I'm saying that's not basis enough to declare that, "Stanford and the Ivy's require that even their student athletes meet the minimum admission requirements for the general student body in order to be accepted into the school," and that schools like Michigan, ND, UCLA, etc don't do that. In fact, there are no minimum admissions requirements at any of these schools.

There is no evidence Stanford/Harvard does anything different in terms of admissions than Mich/ND/etc. They do have a lot more competition for spots at their school, but this is different than them saying "No matter what, all students must at least have XX ACT and XX GPA."
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 04:08:18 PM by Grayson Allen »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
I'm not saying that, nor am I saying you're making up your experience with a student and their interaction with SU. I'm saying that's not basis enough to declare that, "Stanford and the Ivy's require that even their student athletes meet the minimum admission requirements for the general student body in order to be accepted into the school," and that schools like Michigan, ND, UCLA, etc don't do that. In fact, there are no minimum admissions requirements at any of these schools.

There is no evidence Stanford/Harvard does anything different in terms of admissions than Mich/ND/etc. They do have a lot more competition for spots at their school, but this is different than them saying "No matter what, all students must at least have XX ACT and XX GPA."

That's exactly what they say.  They have a sliding scale that a student needs to meet in order to be accepted into these schools, just like Marquette, Wisconsin, etc. have.  Ivy's and Stanford require their student athletes also meet these requirements.  ND, Michigan, UVA, etc. make exceptions for their student athletes.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
Stanford and the Ivy's require that even their student athletes meet the minimum admission requirements for the general student body in order to be accepted into the school. 

Wades

Not trying to pick a fight but I know for a fact that this is not true. While the Ivies do not give 'athletic' scholarships they have other mechanisms available. And to your point about admissions, there is latitude given to students recruited for the athletic teams.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 09:35:02 PM »
Wades

Not trying to pick a fight but I know for a fact that this is not true. While the Ivies do not give 'athletic' scholarships they have other mechanisms available. And to your point about admissions, there is latitude given to students recruited for the athletic teams.

Right. It's all about family incomes. Any student who has a household income of under $250K has it very "affordable" (relative to the price of many top colleges). And if the household income is over $250K, well, you can afford to pay a lot for an Ivy League education.

And yes, "latitude" in that they can get a student accepted above someone who has better qualifications because they are an athlete. But they can't take someone with a 24 ACT and 3.0 GPA.

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »
That's exactly what they say.  They have a sliding scale that a student needs to meet in order to be accepted into these schools, just like Marquette, Wisconsin, etc. have.  Ivy's and Stanford require their student athletes also meet these requirements.  ND, Michigan, UVA, etc. make exceptions for their student athletes.
I'm just going by the published figures in their site, which shows that folks with very poor test of GPAs have been admitted to the most recent class.

Clearly there is not an objective minimum requirement in these categories. I am not disagreeing that (athlete or not) you're likely not going to get into Stanford with a low GPA or test score.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
I'm just going by the published figures in their site, which shows that folks with very poor test of GPAs have been admitted to the most recent class.

Clearly there is not an objective minimum requirement in these categories. I am not disagreeing that (athlete or not) you're likely not going to get into Stanford with a low GPA or test score.

You realize that 0% is >1%, right? And that each application they get brings in money to the school, right? So if they publish 0% then kids in those categories don't even bother, whereas if they publish >1% then it's, "so you're saying there's a chance?"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
I have a bit of personal experience in this as well.  Both my niece and nephew were water polo players for Stanford in the last 15 years.  Both had to be admitted to the school, first.  Nephew won two NCAA titles in the process.   Meanwhile, at my old gig, had a swimmer from Penn work for me for 7 years (he's now at HBO).  To this day he is a competitive swimmer in the masters circuit with the Rowdy Gaines of the world.  He described the recruiting process for the Ivys in a manner in which he basically needed to have the scores, but also since there was no scholarships, they made financial aid readily available for perspective athletes.

Side note, the swimmers dad was the GM for the Detroit Lions prior to Matt Millen.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »
I have a bit of personal experience in this as well.  Both my niece and nephew were water polo players for Stanford in the last 15 years.  Both had to be admitted to the school, first.  Nephew won two NCAA titles in the process.   Meanwhile, at my old gig, had a swimmer from Penn work for me for 7 years (he's now at HBO).  To this day he is a competitive swimmer in the masters circuit with the Rowdy Gaines of the world.  He described the recruiting process for the Ivys in a manner in which he basically needed to have the scores, but also since there was no scholarships, they made financial aid readily available for perspective athletes.

Side note, the swimmers dad was the GM for the Detroit Lions prior to Matt Millen.

I don't know about Stanford but I do know that the Ivies admit students who do not meet the standard for the general population. And it isn't just for student athletes.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2015, 04:41:41 PM »
Stanford may have different standards for football and basketball players versus the Olympic sports.

BTW Harbaugh clearly is a great coach. But dude's a crazy person.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
He's related to da utter crazy coach, T-Cubed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2015, 06:16:48 PM »
Stanford may have different standards for football and basketball players versus the Olympic sports.

BTW Harbaugh clearly is a great coach. But dude's a crazy person.

I just asked the senior who is playing at Stanford that I coached if the school made academic acceptance exceptions for football and basketball players and he responded that they also needed to be accepted into the school first.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2015, 06:39:29 PM »
Sparty on, dudes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2015, 06:58:01 PM »
Rivalry game at it's finest.   Otherworldly ending.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2015, 06:58:39 PM »
You realize that 0% is >1%, right? And that each application they get brings in money to the school, right? So if they publish 0% then kids in those categories don't even bother, whereas if they publish >1% then it's, "so you're saying there's a chance?"
I do not realize that 0 is greater than 1... so no to whatever else you said
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:05:00 PM by Grayson Allen »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 07:09:11 PM »
I just asked the senior who is playing at Stanford that I coached if the school made academic acceptance exceptions for football and basketball players and he responded that they also needed to be accepted into the school first.

He may be right, but I doubt he's keyed in to the admissions process for athletes.

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »

He may be right, but I doubt he's keyed in to the admissions process for athletes.
And even so... that's the case at any other school... they need to be accepted into the school as well as make the team.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »
Little brother wins again

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »

He was recruited to play a sport at Stanford and has talked about his friendships with some of the football players and 1 of the basketball players so I'd say he's much more keyed in to the admission process than you, me, keefe, chicos, Grayson, or anyone else who has contributed to this discussion.

I do not realize that 0 is greater than 1... so no to whatever else you said

Haha oops, hit the wrong button. But you got it right. 1 is more than 0, so when they say less than 1%, 0% is included in that. So thanks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2015, 08:02:28 PM »
He was recruited to play a sport at Stanford and has talked about his friendships with some of the football players and 1 of the basketball players so I'd say he's much more keyed in to the admission process.

Dude, he's a student.  Students hear all sorts of things.  That doesn't mean they are correct.

Again, he may be right.  Just don't take his word as gospel. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »

Dude, he's a student.  Students hear all sorts of things.  That doesn't mean they are correct.

Again, he may be right.  Just don't take his word as gospel.

He is a student athlete. I'll trust a kid who was recruited to play there (especially when articles have confirmed this) over some random guys on a MU basketball site who never had a prayer to go to Stanford, especially for athletics.

He's not the type of kid who would say with certainty that all the players need to be accepted into the school before an athletics program can accept them if he had any doubt about it. He would say "I'm pretty sure..."

But it doesn't really matter. If people want to believe Ivy's and Stanford make exceptions for below average students because they can shoot a ball through a hoop, throw a ball far, jump really high, or whatever like ND, UVA, Michigain, or others do, then you'll believe that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:17:11 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
They don't make exceptions for "below average students."  They do make exceptions for student athletes that wouldn't be admitted otherwise.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
He is a student athlete. I'll trust a kid who was recruited to play there (especially when articles have confirmed this) over some random guys on a MU basketball site who never had a prayer to go to Stanford, especially for athletics.

He's not the type of kid who would say with certainty that all the players need to be accepted into the school before an athletics program can accept them if he had any doubt about it. He would say "I'm pretty sure..."

But it doesn't really matter. If people want to believe Ivy's and Stanford make exceptions for below average students because they can shoot a ball through a hoop, throw a ball far, jump really high, or whatever like ND, UVA, Michigain, or others do, then you'll believe that.
I think you may have a bunch of arguments confused here. Not sure what you think anyone is disagreeing with here.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2015, 10:20:50 PM »
Rivalry game at it's finest.   Otherworldly ending.

Good Lord. Shoot me.

But you are right - what a great game. One for the ages.

Death on call