collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sobleman's vs. AJ Bombers  (Read 20507 times)

Moonboots

• Starter
Re: Sobleman's vs. AJ Bombers
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
Who goes to Sobleman's when there are 3 different Kopp's locations you could go to???

Wow. And that's not even a knock on Kopp's. Just wow.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 10:19:53 AM »
Who goes to Sobleman's when there are 3 different Kopp's locations you could go to???

Why bother going to Kopp's when there are dozen's of McDonalds, Wendys, and BK's around???

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
Both places cook good burgers, and I do enjoy AJ Bombers, but nothing I've had there can hold a candle to the Sobelman burger, which is the best burger I've ever had, hands down.

Where Dave got screwed was in the fact that the contest was this custom "Milwaukee Burger" (one kind of cheese, different bacon, etc.). Since AJ Bombers makes all sorts of custom burgers, this was not too different from their everyday fare. If Dave were allowed to serve up a mouth-watering Sobelman burger, in all it's three-cheese & Jalepeno glory it would have been a unanimous decision the other way.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
I thought I heard the guys from Durango took over the kitchen at Red Rock. If it's close to the same menu I might have to check that out.

You heard right :)  Killer food!

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »
bombers burgers are awful. i dont see how they could have won this challenge.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »
Here's my list:
1) Solly's (on Port Washington Rd. just south of Hampton...anybody ever had it?  They put like a stick of butter on your burger and their malts are RIDICULOUS).
2) Sobleman's (only VERY SLIGHTLY behind Solly's.  Their cheese is to their burger what Solly's butter is to its burgers.)
3) Five Guys
4) Elsa's
5) Kopps
6) Culvers

Honestly I'd rather have my own home cooked burger than an AJ Bombers burger.  I went once and I enjoyed eating peanuts while waiting for my burger, but that's about all I enjoyed about the experience.  The rest was awful in my opinion.  I agree exactly with what Skatastrophy said, other than I think the meat is terrible rather than average.

AJ Bombers is pretty bad.  I just don't see the plus side.

The beef is mediocre and their buns are terrible.

There's a reason that they have a huge selection of burger toppings:  you need some serious flavor to cover up the inadequacies of the meat and bread. 

Those little deep fried cheesy things with the chipotle ranch are out of this world, though :)

Drinking there is out of the question.  With a place like Red Rock saloon just up the street that has *way* better food and is more down to earth there's no reason to go to AJ Bombers... unless you want a peanut butter sandwich with some cheap beef thrown into it so that they can call it a burger. 
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 11:17:31 PM »
Let it be known, that Mr. Ari Gold is running around Madison tonight wearing red and white, declaring allegiance to the Badgers.

I suggest a lifetime ban.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
I'm sure it makes me some sort of heretic, but I don't like Sobleman's or AJ Bombers....or pretty much any burger of that style.

Glad I got that off my chest. 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 01:41:56 AM »
I'm sure it makes me some sort of heretic, but I don't like Sobleman's or AJ Bombers....or pretty much any burger of that style.

Glad I got that off my chest. 

What style burger do you appreciate?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »
What style burger do you appreciate?

I don't know exactly how to describe it.  Perhaps the easiest way to think of it is the opposite of a typical pub burger.  No toppings other than cheese and maybe ketchup, a thinner bun that's been steamed and not toasted, and a pattie that's very thin, but with a much larger circumfrance than your typical burger.  Think of it like a slider on steroids in terms of size, or a similar in terms of looks to a burger from Marquette Gyro's but with higher quality products.

It's a style that used be pretty common in Milwaukee at the old custard/ice cream shops that were all over the city, but their aren't many places around that make it anymore.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 08:29:14 AM »
I don't know exactly how to describe it.  Perhaps the easiest way to think of it is the opposite of a typical pub burger.  No toppings other than cheese and maybe ketchup, a thinner bun that's been steamed and not toasted, and a pattie that's very thin, but with a much larger circumfrance than your typical burger.  Think of it like a slider on steroids in terms of size, or a similar in terms of looks to a burger from Marquette Gyro's but with higher quality products.

It's a style that used be pretty common in Milwaukee at the old custard/ice cream shops that were all over the city, but their aren't many places around that make it anymore.

Culvers.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 08:35:28 AM »

I've always wished Kopps had a better bun for their burgers

bma725

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »
Culvers.

Not exactly.  Culver's is closer than a typical pub burger, but the pattie isn't the right size or thickness. 

Admittedly I'm not sure if any place around here still makes them like that.  I used to get them at the now defunct River Brook in Shorewood, which had been a Pig and Whistle before that.  Maybe Leon's or Gille's but I haven't been to those places in a long time.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 09:02:46 AM »
Not exactly.  Culver's is closer than a typical pub burger, but the pattie isn't the right size or thickness. 

Admittedly I'm not sure if any place around here still makes them like that.  I used to get them at the now defunct River Brook in Shorewood, which had been a Pig and Whistle before that.  Maybe Leon's or Gille's but I haven't been to those places in a long time.

George Webb, with better quality?

I know not coming from Wisconsin, it was weird as hell seeing burgers served without any toppings/condiments.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »

Bella's made a nice burger like that... but they are now closed due to some financial troubles.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
George Webb, with better quality?

I know not coming from Wisconsin, it was weird as hell seeing burgers served without any toppings/condiments.

Webb's isn't the right size either.  The thickness might be close, but the burger itself is still a standard size.  The ones I'm thinking of were much wider. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
Webb's isn't the right size either.  The thickness might be close, but the burger itself is still a standard size.  The ones I'm thinking of were much wider. 

Murf's in Elm Grove
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 01:11:37 PM »

A triple at Culver's is not three stacked patties but three patties packed into one wide/large patty.....somewhat close to what you are describing, I think.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
Bella's made a nice burger like that... but they are now closed due to some financial troubles.

All of them?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
All of them?

Yep.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/103678904.html

They sold the one on Brady a while ago, and now the remaining 2 are going under unless there is some sort of dramatic change.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2010, 01:22:39 AM »
Here's my list:
1) Solly's (on Port Washington Rd. just south of Hampton...anybody ever had it?  They put like a stick of butter on your burger and their malts are RIDICULOUS).
2) Sobleman's (only VERY SLIGHTLY behind Solly's.  Their cheese is to their burger what Solly's butter is to its burgers.)
3) Five Guys
4) Elsa's
5) Kopps
6) Culvers

Honestly I'd rather have my own home cooked burger than an AJ Bombers burger.  I went once and I enjoyed eating peanuts while waiting for my burger, but that's about all I enjoyed about the experience.  The rest was awful in my opinion.  I agree exactly with what Skatastrophy said, other than I think the meat is terrible rather than average.

Thanks for jogging my memory... I couldn't think of the name of your #1 place.  When I saw food wars was going to be in Milwaukee for a burger war, I thought Solly's was going to be one of the locations... that thing is a heart attack on a platter.  It's one of the best burgers I've ever had though.  Looking forward to getting back to Milwaukee to try Sobelmans and AJ's.  I don't understand why there's so much hostility towards AJ Bombers though.  Seems to me like the guy revived a location that has had about 10 different bars fail in the past 15 years.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2010, 01:24:57 AM »
By the way... Food Wars made it seem like Milwaukee is a mecca (no pun intended) for Cheeseburgers.  I never thought Milwaukee had a worth while signature food.  I guess I'd consider a brat more of a Wisconsin tradition... but it's hard to beat a Johnsonville that can be bought at most grocery stores around the country.
I can understand why some good cheese can compliment a burger, but I think it comes down to how juicy and flavorful the meat is and how it compliments the bun.   I love Wisconsin and Milwaukee, but found the food to be pretty sub-par... it's good to hear that you guys have started specializing in the cheesburgers! 
I'm sure this will get some Wisconsinites barking...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:28:56 AM by TomW1365 »

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2010, 06:25:29 AM »
Here's my list:
3) Five Guys
4) Elsa's
5) Kopps
6) Culvers

I agree wholeheartedly, SOLLY'S RULES!!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 07:09:18 AM »
By the way... Food Wars made it seem like Milwaukee is a mecca (no pun intended) for Cheeseburgers.  I never thought Milwaukee had a worth while signature food.  I guess I'd consider a brat more of a Wisconsin tradition... but it's hard to beat a Johnsonville that can be bought at most grocery stores around the country.
I can understand why some good cheese can compliment a burger, but I think it comes down to how juicy and flavorful the meat is and how it compliments the bun.   I love Wisconsin and Milwaukee, but found the food to be pretty sub-par... it's good to hear that you guys have started specializing in the cheesburgers! 
I'm sure this will get some Wisconsinites barking...

Personally, I think you are off your nut.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »
Yep.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/103678904.html

They sold the one on Brady a while ago, and now the remaining 2 are going under unless there is some sort of dramatic change.

Too bad. That was one of my stops when I'd come back in for a game. Can't believe they were open for 10 years either. It didn't seem that long. Oh well.

feedback