'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Porter Moser should be the guy  (Read 71553 times)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Porter Moser should be the guy
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2021, 01:33:36 PM »
I'm not anti-Moser, but this was predictable. He got a perfect second round matchup. He also got drubbed by Wisconsin this year. If Marquette goes for him, fine, but I'd have him probably 5th on my list, behind Smart, Gates, Smith, and (if no Patrick) Beilein.

I picked him to win this game, but falling in love with 1-2 game sample sizes is EXACTLY why Wojo lived off Nova for so long & why people this year were in his corner after Wisconsin and Creighton. If he really was turning his team into the new MVC Wichita, I'd be more interested. But anyone acting like 2 decent years in 4 is somehow on par with Gregg Marshall having 8 straight top-30 teams is living in a different reality.

Might want to quit while you are behind. You're not going win any support from anyone today believing a Porter Moser would be 5th on any coaching search list, especially behind the names you mentioned.

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2021, 01:34:19 PM »
in all seriousness, I think Moser is the perfect guy...for Loyola. I like him and am a big fan of us and hope he hits bank and has great success at Loyola. We are in a position, at least for the moment, that we appear to have higher level options and we should pursue all of them. As I said about Wojo last year, aside from MU or DePaul, who else is chasing after Moser. I want to chase guys the big boys chase and not pick a guy because he is a great guy, local guy and spent time with Rick.

Porter Moser just accomplished something at Loyola that no coach has done in Marquette basketball history not named Al McGuire.

He took his program to a final four and to a sweet sixteen in separate seasons.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 02:02:27 PM by blue and gold »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2021, 01:34:24 PM »
Single game results mean zero. We beat Wisconsin. We should be playing Baylor today!

Right. Single game results mean zero.
Which is why a statements like "Moser would coach circles around pretty much anyone else in the game right now" based on today's game is utterly ridiculous.

burger

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »
If you have read the threads.....

He said....."he thought Wojo would never leave this job"....."so he has thought about it"....Now the opening to pounce and be patient....

He also knows how good of a place Marquette is.....DePaul has to be a consideration but they just don't have the pedigree......And Milwaukee is a plus.....A little slower around the "edges".....

You offer him a 5 year rolling contract at WOJO's number and you probably have a deal.....

He will turn down $3 mildo from the Big Meat grinder schools.....(IU)

He already has......

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2021, 01:35:20 PM »
This board is officially off the rails. NBA? Gigantic deal?

He makes $1.1MM now. You think it’s gonna cost $4MM to get him?

THANK YOU

Exactly. He won’t get a single call from the NBA. And money will have zero effect on whether he comes here.

People get really crazy at these times.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »
Loyola Ramblers

Mosers Dozers
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »

How was this the perfect second round matchup? Half of America had the Illini in the final four.

Half of America made an obviously bad pick. Illinois was never getting out of the first weekend.

When it comes to making picks, I like to use Haslametrics. No site is perfect, but that site is excellent at breaking down strengths and weaknesses. Look at the "curious trends" on the Illinois page.

https://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=&tid=735

It is basically a description of Loyola. Illinois was always going to struggle in this game because Loyola was going to control the pace. Loyola shoots well and controls the glass. And if LUC had lost to Georgia Tech (which was their more difficult matchup) that meant UI would have to prep for the Tech zone in one day.

I expected to pick Illinois to the Final Four until I saw their draw. As soon as I saw LUC on the 8-line opposite Georgia Tech, I knew it would be a short Tournament in Champaign.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2021, 01:38:15 PM »
I mean, Loyola did lose to Wisconsin by 14 earlier this year. They also lost to Richmond and Drake.
Moser is very good, but he's not Basketball Jesus. Don't get too swept away by the results of one game.
I]

Your so called "one game" was over a #1 seed, a state rival, "little brother" syndrome, ticket to the sweet 16.  They led the entire game, controlled the tempo, won by 13 but was an 8 point underdog.  Came out ready, well prepared, sound fundamental, disciplined team, held Illni to 58 points with a great D.  C'mon man!

This was a  huge upset and much more than one game.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2021, 01:38:34 PM »
Certainly looks like he can coach.  Would he be able to get Top 100 guys?

How many top 100 guys did he need to go to a final 4 & Sweet 16 (and counting)? How many did Wojo just stack up at MU?

Coaching matters. Quality players will want to play for him. And they will become the best version of themselves. Case closed. Get his ass in the Al as soon as Loyola is done. Don't care how much it costs.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »
Determining Moser is a great coach on the basis of 2 good seasons or even 1 good game is also great comedy. What about the last 2 years? What about all the years before the unexpected Final 4 run?

It's perfectly fine if you don't like Moser, doesn't bother me in the least, and, you clearly don't. But you seem to have different standards for different coaches, in the same league, at the same time to make your evaluations.

You recently posted this:

"I would be on board with Wardle now. I wouldn't have been when our job was last open. He has shown the ability to build two programs, has won conference titles (GB) and conference tourney titles (Bradley). He has won at different tempos."

Wardle in the past four years at Bradley has had KenPom of:

145, 107, 161, 124.

All four of these years were worse than Moser in the same league at the same time. (All six of  Wardle's MVC years have had worse KenPom than Moser)

As you can see above the only consistency is being in the 100's.

*Disclaimer, I am not advocating for Moser to get the MUBB HC position.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:42:40 PM by shoothoops »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2021, 01:39:02 PM »

How was this the perfect second round matchup? Half of America had the Illini in the final four.

That’s a horrific barometer. Most of America was shocked ACU beat Texas but as Brew said, analytics pointed to it being not unlikely.  Joe 6Pack picking the B10 champ to go all the way doesn’t mean they don’t match up well against a team like Loyola.  I’m sure people were STUNNED UVA lost to Ohio yesterday too

Illinois got beat down by MSU late in the year, nearly lost to Ohio, was down huge early to NW, and got the brakes beat off them by Baylor.  People just assumed they were unstoppable cause they got hot to end the year.

I'll go with this Moser guy.  If he could keep the current MU core players and incoming recruits. If he could do that today with a bunch of one and two star players, can't imagine what he could do with the highly ranked players.

No chance. Players sign up for a style of play.  Nobody on the roster or incoming chose MU over UVA or UW.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:40:54 PM by JWags85 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »
I'm not anti-Moser, but this was predictable. He got a perfect second round matchup. He also got drubbed by Wisconsin this year. If Marquette goes for him, fine, but I'd have him probably 5th on my list, behind Smart, Gates, Smith, and (if no Patrick) Beilein.

I picked him to win this game, but falling in love with 1-2 game sample sizes is EXACTLY why Wojo lived off Nova for so long & why people this year were in his corner after Wisconsin and Creighton. If he really was turning his team into the new MVC Wichita, I'd be more interested. But anyone acting like 2 decent years in 4 is somehow on par with Gregg Marshall having 8 straight top-30 teams is living in a different reality.

brew, I agree some are a little too ga-ga and I think you've made some good points, but I also think you're a little too dismissive.

"2 decent years"? Are 30-win seasons capped by conference titles and deep NCAA tournament runs now only "decent"? Were the other 2, in which Loyola won 20 games and finished first and second in the conference during the regular season not even "decent"?

And anybody can play the "yeah but he lost to so-and-so" game. The Vanderbilt team Moser beat to account for the only P6 victory he recorded (in 5 attempts) between his two deep NCAA tourney runs was called horrible by another Scooper, and correctly so. That Vanderbilt team also beat the great Nate Oats, Frank Martin, and an 18th-ranked LSU. So what?

I haven't decided yet where Moser is on my list, but I have decided that if he ends up being our guy, I will not be upset about that at all.

Shaka and Porter each was put in a pressure situation in the last 15 hours. One saw his team thoroughly outplayed by a 14-seed filled with tiny, untalented players to extend his streak without an NCAA tournament win to 8 years; the other beat a 1-seed predicted by many to win it all to earn his 6th NCAA tournament win in the last 4 seasons.

Maybe Moser doesn't deserve the Marquette job, I don't know. But he does deserve respect, and more than just a "decent" amount of it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2021, 01:42:19 PM »
This is one of the best games I've seen in some time. Loyola runs a smart and very effective offence and can defend the perimeter very well. A pleasure to watch great team ball.

Especially when we heard for years it was MU players and not Wojo's defensive scheme. Those were 2 and 3 stars who just beat NBA draft picks.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2021, 01:42:24 PM »
It’s not that simple. Recruits also take into account relationships with coaches, facilities, conference, education.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2021, 01:42:47 PM »
That’s a horrific barometer. Most of America was shocked ACU beat Texas but as Brew said, analytics pointed to it being not unlikely.  Joe 6Pack picking the B10 champ to go all the way doesn’t mean they don’t match up well against a team like Loyola.  I’m sure people were STUNNED UVA lost to Ohio yesterday too

Illinois got beat down by MSU late in the year, nearly lost to Ohio, was down huge early to NW, and got the brakes beat off them by Baylor.  People just assumed they were unstoppable cause they got hot to end the year.

No chance. Players sign up for a style of play.  Nobody on the roster or incoming chose MU over UVA or UW.
What style of play were they signing up for when they committed to Wojo?

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2021, 01:44:21 PM »
How many top 100 guys did he need to go to a final 4 & Sweet 16 (and counting)? How many did Wojo just stack up at MU?

Coaching matters. Quality players will want to play for him. And they will become the best version of themselves. Case closed. Get his ass in the Al as soon as Loyola is done. Don't care how much it costs.

Big East is a big boy league and whoever gets the job is gonna have to get Top 100 guys.  Guess Scholl will have to figure that out.

And Wojo couldn't coach worth a lick. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2021, 01:47:15 PM »

You recently posted this:

"I would be on board with Wardle now. I wouldn't have been when our job was last open. He has shown the ability to build two programs, has won conference titles (GB) and conference tourney titles (Bradley). He has won at different tempos."

Last year I was higher on Wardle than I am now. He's not in my top-5 at the moment and would be behind Moser.

I still think Wardle could be a good coach, but he'd be behind Smart, Smith, and Beilein for obvious reasons and Gates because I like the proven recruiting record.

And one concern with Moser is also style. I'm not sure what he does translates at the high major level for a full season. If he is our guy, I'm fine with it. He's an upgrade. But he's not at the top of my list.

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
Right. Single game results mean zero.
Which is why a statements like "Moser would coach circles around pretty much anyone else in the game right now" based on today's game is utterly ridiculous.

Who's basing the prospect of Porter Moser becoming the MU coach on just 1 game?

In the past 4 seasons including this season, Moser has led Loyola to 3 first place finishes and 1 second place finish in their conference.

During this time period Loyola's conference record was 56-16. Also, Loyola has a record of 6-1 in the NCAA tournament so far in the past 4 seasons.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 04:01:49 PM by blue and gold »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2021, 01:48:49 PM »
Shaka and Porter each was put in a pressure situation in the last 15 hours. One saw his team thoroughly outplayed by a 14-seed filled with tiny, untalented players to extend his streak without an NCAA tournament win to 8 years; the other beat a 1-seed predicted by many to win it all to earn his 6th NCAA tournament win in the last 4 seasons.

Yes exactly - and Shaka's team looked exactly like a Wojo squad: Confused, sloppy, no adjustments intra-game to a very obvious one-trick pony. Shaka had the deer in headlights Wojo look. Moser's squad would have beaten Abilene by 25+ because they wouldn't have turned it over half as many times and would have calmly cashed the layups & wide open threes that junk-ass defense would have presented to them. I do not care what Shaka's recruiting classes were ranked. It's not even close between the two in my mind.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »
Why would Moser want to put up with you guys? 
Why would he want to put up with the Trustee's, Wisconsin and the BIG EAST?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »

Half of America is stupid.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »
What style of play were they signing up for when they committed to Wojo?

One that has usually been top third of the country in pace and averaging around 80 PPG.  Contrast that with Moser whose Loyola teams traditionally rank in the bottom 25 teams in the country in pace and usually average in the mid 60s. 

I’m not arguing that makes Wojo a good coach or an offensive whiz, he’s not, but Moser’s style is a sharp contrast to anyone attracted to up tempo or active scoring basketball

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »

I can think of a couple million reasons.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2021, 01:51:38 PM »
Last year I was higher on Wardle than I am now. He's not in my top-5 at the moment and would be behind Moser.

I still think Wardle could be a good coach, but he'd be behind Smart, Smith, and Beilein for obvious reasons and Gates because I like the proven recruiting record.

And one concern with Moser is also style. I'm not sure what he does translates at the high major level for a full season. If he is our guy, I'm fine with it. He's an upgrade. But he's not at the top of my list.

Your quote was from December 28, 2020. Your follow up posts continued after that. That's this season, just a couple of months ago. That's quite a big swing in a couple of months.

As I said people can like who they like, that's all good, but I do prefer similar evaluation standards for everyone.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:57:38 PM by shoothoops »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »

Although strangely phrased, I do think this is a fair point.

He knows he can win at Loyola, they will never fire him a la Pat Fitzgerald and I do think he truly likes the school.

Maybe when his kids are older he’ll feel differently. But I think the biggest competition for Moser is Loyola themselves.

feedback