[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 513801 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results
« Reply #6075 on: April 06, 2024, 07:29:05 AM »
I thought the one replay they showed the most wasn't a great angle. I thought you could still see her arms outside her body impeding the Iowa player though. The further view out showed her stick her leg out further to make sure she made contact. I think that made it look more obvious.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #6076 on: April 06, 2024, 07:55:29 AM »
IMHO, the issue is not as simple as “It’s either a foul or it isn’t”.

There are also questions about how similar plays have been called throughout the game, and the reality (right or wrong) that there is a tendency in all levels of basketball to let more things go at a stage of the game when blowing the whistle will essentially determine the outcome.

Because I only turned that game on after the Brewer game ended and remembered that it was going on, I don’t know how many fouls like that were called. And because I rarely watch women’s games at all I don’t know if things like that are usually called.

But, the whistle there took away what would have been a much more satisfying finish, and to me was reminiscent of the kind of favorable calls that superstars and their teams got that turned me away from the NBA a long time ago.  I have my doubts that the same call would have been made against Iowa in that situation.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6077 on: April 06, 2024, 07:58:02 AM »
I thought the one replay they showed the most wasn't a great angle. I thought you could still see her arms outside her body impeding the Iowa player though. The further view out showed her stick her leg out further to make sure she made contact. I think that made it look more obvious.

Not even close.  Terrible screen.  Correct call.

There’s “let them play” and then there’s what that was.  If UConn makes a bucket, Iowa fans would be irate and there is still controversy.

From earlier, where it’s asked what happens if Marquette gets called for that foul, what happens if Marquette loses because no foul is called?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6078 on: April 06, 2024, 08:01:53 AM »
IMHO, the issue is not as simple as “It’s either a foul or it isn’t”.

There are also questions about how similar plays have been called throughout the game, and the reality (right or wrong) that there is a tendency in all levels of basketball to let more things go at a stage of the game when blowing the whistle will essentially determine the outcome.

Because I only turned that game on after the Brewer game ended and remembered that it was going on, I don’t know how many fouls like that were called. And because I rarely watch women’s games at all I don’t know if things like that are usually called.

But, the whistle there took away what would have been a much more satisfying finish, and to me was reminiscent of the kind of favorable calls that superstars and their teams got that turned me away from the NBA a long time ago.  I have my doubts that the same call would have been made against Iowa in that situation.

“I don’t watch women’s basketball and haven’t watched the NBA for a long time, but here’s my conspiracy theory.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #6079 on: April 06, 2024, 08:19:20 AM »
Not even close.  Terrible screen.  Correct call.

There’s “let them play” and then there’s what that was.  If UConn makes a bucket, Iowa fans would be irate and there is still controversy.

From earlier, where it’s asked what happens if Marquette gets called for that foul, what happens if Marquette loses because no foul is called?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6080 on: April 06, 2024, 08:30:01 AM »

It’s text book for Providence, but still illegal 😂

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6081 on: April 06, 2024, 08:39:24 AM »

And she hopped about 4 feet out to get to that spot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6082 on: April 06, 2024, 08:42:10 AM »
“I don’t watch women’s basketball and haven’t watched the NBA for a long time, but here’s my conspiracy theory.”

Scrappy little programs with no marquee players like UConn can never catch a break.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6083 on: April 06, 2024, 09:28:13 AM »
That was not a questionable call.  That was an illegal screen.  She jumped out late, was moving, had her feet WAY more than shoulder length apart and did that little chicken arm extension at the end.  All illegal.  Congrats to the ref for calling that.

That it got called with 5 seconds left in a one-point final four game and the ref not swallowing that whistle like they usually do in those situations is the only reason it is consider a questionable call.  Why should the defender and her team be punished in that situation?  She was trying to make a play and did nothing wrong.

Refs get blasted all the time.  Kudos to them for making the right call.

UConn still had a chance but couldn't grab a rebound on a missed free throw where they could have called a timeout and advanced the ball to half court.  Iowa deserved the win.  No favoritisms. 

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #6084 on: April 06, 2024, 01:04:21 PM »

I was referring to how the NBA was officiated a few decades ago when I did watch.

You didn’t have to be a conspiracy theorist to think that the big stars like Dr J, Bird, and Magic that the league was trying to promote for favorable whistles.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6085 on: April 06, 2024, 01:14:38 PM »
And she hopped about 4 feet out to get to that spot.

There was no hop. She’s huge and has very long legs, she took one long step.

Most of us would’ve had to hop

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6086 on: April 06, 2024, 01:47:35 PM »
Worth noting that when X won the NIT in 21-22 they followed up with a Sweet 16 the next season. So maybe Shaheen and The Hall can use their NIT Championship for similar momentum
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6087 on: April 06, 2024, 01:51:04 PM »
Worth noting that when X won the NIT in 21-22 they followed up with a Sweet 16 the next season. So maybe Shaheen and The Hall can use their NIT Championship for similar momentum

They won’t and you thinking they will is the clearest sign they won’t.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #6088 on: April 06, 2024, 04:57:34 PM »

They won’t and you thinking they will is the clearest sign they won’t.
Ouch

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6089 on: April 06, 2024, 10:02:35 PM »
Excellent win for U Conn and The Big East
            ---Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6090 on: April 06, 2024, 10:04:31 PM »
There was no hop. She’s huge and has very long legs, she took one long step.

Most of us would’ve had to hop

Whatever was the right call the only thing anyone is talking about is the referees decided the game instead of the players.  No one is talking about what was a great back and forth game.  The call took that discussion away.
The Iowa players apparently were getting hate messages all day which isn't fair and very undeserved.

burger

• All American
« Reply #6091 on: April 06, 2024, 10:32:50 PM »
Whatever was the right call the only thing anyone is talking about is the referees decided the game instead of the players.  No one is talking about what was a great back and forth game.  The call took that discussion away.
The Iowa players apparently were getting hate messages all day which isn't fair and very undeserved.

It was clearly the right call......Basketball should prevail.....Not Big East bully ball by some teams.....If it is a foul.....And clearly is was.....I give the ref credit for calling it.....How many times have we seen a ref swallow a whistle.....There should be no Marquette fan who tries to disparage the timing of the refs call....We have seen too many of those......

Judge Smails

• All American
« Reply #6092 on: April 07, 2024, 06:48:12 AM »
It was clearly the right call......Basketball should prevail.....Not Big East bully ball by some teams.....If it is a foul.....And clearly is was.....I give the ref credit for calling it.....How many times have we seen a ref swallow a whistle.....There should be no Marquette fan who tries to disparage the timing of the refs call....We have seen too many of those......
I agree….No question it was a foul….I don’t understand why people are even questioning it….It was a hard foul….

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6093 on: April 07, 2024, 09:09:46 AM »
Bensley Joseph transfers to The Friars. Was a key player on The Canes Final Four team

English beat out Pitino for this prospect

https://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2024/4/5/24122185/st-johns-transfer-target-bensley-joseph-commits-to-providence
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6094 on: April 07, 2024, 10:22:21 PM »

Just as worth nothing that in the next season, North Texas won that NIT and they followed that up by going 19-15 (after going 31-7 the year before) and lost in the second round of the NIT.  So maybe Shaheen and the Hall can use their NIT Championship for similar negative momentum.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6095 on: April 08, 2024, 10:48:22 PM »
Excellent win for U Conn and The Big East.

This Championship will help everyone's recruiting in the league . In addition, it provides a strong foundation for the upcoming Media Rights Negotiations with Fox Sports and Others.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6096 on: April 12, 2024, 04:47:41 PM »
Not exactly a shocker … but officially buh-bye to Clingan. Several more Huskies to follow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6097 on: April 12, 2024, 09:47:06 PM »
Not exactly a shocker … but officially buh-bye to Clingan. Several more Huskies to follow.
Providence picks up the same Big Man for the second time. In the article, Kim English says The Friars supporters will spend whatever is necessary to compete.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/college/2024/04/10/7-foot-center-christ-essandoko-commits-to-providence-again/73282315007/
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6098 on: April 13, 2024, 08:22:02 AM »
Providence picks up the same Big Man for the second time. In the article, Kim English says The Friars supporters will spend whatever is necessary to compete.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/college/2024/04/10/7-foot-center-christ-essandoko-commits-to-providence-again/73282315007/

With Hopkins returning, PC has to be an early favorite to win the Big East as it stands today. Kim's philosophy is all portal, all the time.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #6099 on: April 13, 2024, 08:29:36 AM »
With Hopkins returning, PC has to be an early favorite to win the Big East as it stands today. Kim's philosophy is all portal, all the time.

Good luck with that

feedback