[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 511118 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results
« Reply #6050 on: April 05, 2024, 07:37:16 AM »
Excellent win for The Hall. Shaheen csn build off this.

Would be outstanding if Big East won NCAA and NIT in same season.

He can’t and won’t
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #6051 on: April 05, 2024, 07:49:55 AM »
Winning the NIT is certainly better than losing in the NIT, so yes it's a good win.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6052 on: April 05, 2024, 07:52:27 AM »
Yeah, if you're gonna play in it, you might as well try to win it. I doubt it has much impact on next year however.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6053 on: April 05, 2024, 09:05:11 AM »
Shaheen has now shown that he can coach at a high major after the miracle run with St Peters, and showed it very quickly.

He has undoubtedly proven that his teams will be elite defensively and battle hard, and that alone can carry a team to tourney bids. He should’ve gotten one this year imo.

Hopefully for SH he doesn’t jump ship for a big gig, but they will have to pay up. He’s one of theirs, so they should.
After that, then it’s a matter of recruiting well enough and being to navigate the landscape of elite BE coaches to take the next step.

Not sure they get there, but I’m pretty sure they will be competitive as long as he’s there, so they should really try to keep him for a long time

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #6054 on: April 05, 2024, 09:40:49 AM »
Eh, 2 years and 2 NIT appearances has hardly sold me on him yet.  If we had a team that started 5 Seniors and couldn't make the tourney, we'd all be worried.  You can reload faster in today's game and a couple of guys may use their Covid years but I could easily see a step back for them next year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6055 on: April 05, 2024, 10:12:13 AM »
Shaheen has now shown that he can coach at a high major after the miracle run with St Peters, and showed it very quickly.

He has undoubtedly proven that his teams will be elite defensively and battle hard, and that alone can carry a team to tourney bids. He should’ve gotten one this year imo.

Hopefully for SH he doesn’t jump ship for a big gig, but they will have to pay up. He’s one of theirs, so they should.
After that, then it’s a matter of recruiting well enough and being to navigate the landscape of elite BE coaches to take the next step.

Not sure they get there, but I’m pretty sure they will be competitive as long as he’s there, so they should really try to keep him for a long time

Meh.  He's 42-28 in 2 years, taking over a program that was in the NCAA Tournament the year he took over and was gifted one of the better players in the Big East.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #6056 on: April 05, 2024, 11:52:19 AM »
Eh, 2 years and 2 NIT appearances has hardly sold me on him yet.  If we had a team that started 5 Seniors and couldn't make the tourney, we'd all be worried.  You can reload faster in today's game and a couple of guys may use their Covid years but I could easily see a step back for them next year.

I agree. 2 years in the NIT should be considered an underachievement for any BIG East team.

Also Kim English getting an extension from Providence already seems wild. He had the Conference Player of the Year and got bumped in the 1st Round...of the NIT.
VIOLENCE!

• All American
« Reply #6057 on: April 05, 2024, 12:26:54 PM »
He did lose Bryce Hopkins and still managed to have a decent season. Also don't pay too much attention to extensions...they really don't mean much unless you know the buy-out language.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #6058 on: April 05, 2024, 12:42:50 PM »
You can reload faster in today's game and a couple of guys may use their Covid years but I could easily see a step back for them next year.

Most teams in the Big East will take a step back next year, UConn excepted:

Creighton: Scheierman done, Ashworth still in flux, Kalkbrenner considering the NBA
St. John's: Six grad students, so Pitino's back to the portal.
Villanova: Moore, Burton, and Hart are done, Dixon considering NBA.
Butler: Four senior starters. Do they all stay?
Xavier: Seven are now in the portal.
Georgetown: It's April, and four spaces are open. It's become a much tougher sell there.
DePaul: Lost all 13 players to the portal. That may not be much, but rebuilding takes time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6059 on: April 05, 2024, 01:56:23 PM »
UConn easily could take "a step back," too.

For starters ... all the starters could be gone. Plus, once you've won two NCAA titles (or at worst one title and one FF appearance), the only way to take "a step forward" is by winning another title. And that'll be a tall order even for them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #6060 on: April 05, 2024, 02:04:05 PM »

Some folks thought Wojo making the quarter finals in the NIT was a success. They would’ve wanted a parade for an NIT championship
Bring back FFP!!!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6061 on: April 05, 2024, 02:04:36 PM »
Most teams in the Big East will take a step back next year, UConn excepted:

Creighton: Scheierman done, Ashworth still in flux, Kalkbrenner considering the NBA
St. John's: Six grad students, so Pitino's back to the portal.
Villanova: Moore, Burton, and Hart are done, Dixon considering NBA.
Butler: Four senior starters. Do they all stay?
Xavier: Seven are now in the portal.
Georgetown: It's April, and four spaces are open. It's become a much tougher sell there.
DePaul: Lost all 13 players to the portal. That may not be much, but rebuilding takes time.
On paper it looks that way. However, let’s see how the Portal NBA Draft Musical Chairs plays out .

Every other league has similar issues, as so many teams took advantage of the 5th and 6th year players out there.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6062 on: April 05, 2024, 07:02:29 PM »
I get the skepticism with Sha, all I’m saying is that it’s been there every season and will continue to be there, but imo he’s over-achieved expectations thus far and id consider him a good hire, not an average one.

I can’t say the same for some of the other BE gigs that recently got filled, especially the one at Villanova.

I wouldn’t have expected this, but as we sit here today I’d say I’m more confident in Sha and Kim succeeding at their stops than I am of Ed, Rick, Neptune, Matta. I know it’s super early, but that to me means that they are doing a decent job so far as younger head coaches in a major basketball conference.
I think Sean Miller will do a good job at X if he stays out of trouble and sticks it out.

The good thing with Holloway is that it seems his teams can win a big game and play elite defense.
The bad news is that he needs to figure out how to not get blown out when they lose.
It was the blowouts that kept them out more than anything, via the metrics tumble

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6063 on: April 05, 2024, 07:19:42 PM »
I get the skepticism with Sha, all I’m saying is that it’s been there every season and will continue to be there, but imo he’s over-achieved expectations thus far and id consider him a good hire, not an average one.

I can’t say the same for some of the other BE gigs that recently got filled, especially the one at Villanova.

I wouldn’t have expected this, but as we sit here today I’d say I’m more confident in Sha and Kim succeeding at their stops than I am of Ed, Rick, Neptune, Matta. I know it’s super early, but that to me means that they are doing a decent job so far as younger head coaches in a major basketball conference.
I think Sean Miller will do a good job at X if he stays out of trouble and sticks it out.

The good thing with Holloway is that it seems his teams can win a big game and play elite defense.
The bad news is that he needs to figure out how to not get blown out when they lose.
It was the blowouts that kept them out more than anything, via the metrics tumble
It is worth noting Shaheen led The Hall to a 13-7 conference record this season. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6064 on: April 05, 2024, 08:14:10 PM »
It is worth noting Shaheen led The Hall to a 13-7 conference record this season.

Thanks Herman, glad you didn’t let me forget that part.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #6065 on: April 05, 2024, 10:33:39 PM »
Not sure if there’s a thread for this, but a pretty weak call guaranteed Iowa’s win in the women’s tournament.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #6066 on: April 05, 2024, 10:37:15 PM »
Yeah, I'd say it was technically a foul but that's a tough one to call at that time of the game.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6067 on: April 05, 2024, 11:05:25 PM »
Muhl played a helluva game on Clark.

Nice move by Geno getting her the ball on that last possession, I wouldn’t liked to see her get a shot to win it.

Probably shoulda went to Beuckers to draw defenders and pass out for a “Marquette dreaded” midranger for the dub

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6068 on: April 05, 2024, 11:21:16 PM »
Not sure if there’s a thread for this, but a pretty weak call guaranteed Iowa’s win in the women’s tournament.

Watch it at full speed. Edwards side stepped a foot into the defender's path and threw an elbow. It was an obvious foul.

https://x.com/ncaabuzzerbters/status/1776458407178043400?s=46&t=y09G3XF0pbaZZc_-K-dYSw

And "let the players decide it" can't only apply to the players on offense. The defender also has to have their chance to decide it. If a moving screen is okay, what about grabbing the jersey? How about a trip? At what point does an obvious rules violation have to be called?

The answer is "when it's a foul" and that was definitely a foul. It doesn't look like it from the back court slow motion angle, but full speed straight on it's clear.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6069 on: April 05, 2024, 11:26:40 PM »
Watch it at full speed. Edwards side stepped a foot into the defender's path and threw an elbow. It was an obvious foul.

https://x.com/ncaabuzzerbters/status/1776458407178043400?s=46&t=y09G3XF0pbaZZc_-K-dYSw

And "let the players decide it" can't only apply to the players on offense. The defender also has to have their chance to decide it. If a moving screen is okay, what about grabbing the jersey? How about a trip? At what point does an obvious rules violation have to be called?

The answer is "when it's a foul" and that was definitely a foul. It doesn't look like it from the back court slow motion angle, but full speed straight on it's clear.

If Marquette is in the National semis and Oso or Benny get called for that offensive foul you absolutely lose it.

Maybe it was “clear,” but it wasn’t clear enough to blow the whistle in the moment.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6070 on: April 05, 2024, 11:40:04 PM »
If Marquette is in the National semis and Oso or Benny get called for that offensive foul you absolutely lose it.

Maybe it was “clear,” but it wasn’t clear enough to blow the whistle in the moment.

It's either a foul or not a foul (and it may not have been). But there isn't a separate rule book for the final seconds of close games.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6071 on: April 05, 2024, 11:40:11 PM »

100% was. And if it happens to Marquette, I'll be less likely to be objective, which the refs should be. It wasn't a close or questionable call when you watch it full speed, and it unquestionably impacted Gabby Marshall's ability to be part of the play.

Would it be okay if Edwards grabbed her jersey instead of extending the elbow? Or extending a leg and tripping her? Fully extend the arm and clothesline her? At what point does the offensive player trying to illegally impede the defender become too much?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6072 on: April 06, 2024, 12:04:58 AM »
I’d be willing to bet that a slight moving screen of that variety happens a ton of times at the end of games, massive in importance and not.

We wouldn’t know it though, because you rarely see it called.

When you see that play called so rarely, and then called in the final 10s of a massive game, it just raises eyebrows.

Was it an offensive foul? Sure, maybe.
Do you see it called often, or really ever, unless completely egregious at any point in the game let alone in the most important stretch of the game? Nope.

Wasn’t egregious enough to call imo, and I’d feel that way if Marquette got the benefit of the doubt on a call like that.
If Marquette was on the other end of that I’d completely lose my crap, and so would 99,9% of the people on this message board.
I’m usually one of the last to ever complain about the refs too, since I just don’t think they usually make a difference in the result. That wasn’t fair to the UConn squad though.

• All American
« Reply #6073 on: April 06, 2024, 05:54:20 AM »
By the books it was a foul and she sold it. But a lot of contact by the books isn't called throughout any game.

I also thinks some of the "let them play" narrative online is a little over-the-top. You have to call obvious fouls end of game.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6074 on: April 06, 2024, 07:23:45 AM »
I’d be willing to bet that a slight moving screen of that variety happens a ton of times at the end of games, massive in importance and not.

We wouldn’t know it though, because you rarely see it called.

When you see that play called so rarely, and then called in the final 10s of a massive game, it just raises eyebrows.

Was it an offensive foul? Sure, maybe.
Do you see it called often, or really ever, unless completely egregious at any point in the game let alone in the most important stretch of the game? Nope.

Wasn’t egregious enough to call imo, and I’d feel that way if Marquette got the benefit of the doubt on a call like that.
If Marquette was on the other end of that I’d completely lose my crap, and so would 99,9% of the people on this message board.
I’m usually one of the last to ever complain about the refs too, since I just don’t think they usually make a difference in the result. That wasn’t fair to the UConn squad though.

I noticed this morning all the reactions in the media from the sports world are universally the UConn ladies got robbed of a chance to win.  Consensus seems maybe it was a foul and maybe it wasn't but because maybe it wasn't and definitely not egregious enough to be calling with 5 seconds left after the refs let a lot of plays go uncalled both directions the whole game.
I even read several comments that it is was the NCAA pushing for Caitlin Clark in the final. (Which I don't think is the case.)

Would have been a fantastic end of the game to see if UConn could make a basket or miss it.

feedback