'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is There Anyone Out There...  (Read 3601 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Is There Anyone Out There...
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:38:09 PM »
who still doesn't like Jerry Smith's game?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Is There Anyone Out There...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 10:04:02 PM »

I think Bo cooled on him, but there's the other big issue you're not including.  The baggage that goes along with Jerah

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »
how can you comment on this "baggage", Espn announcers made one reference to it.  Do you have any idea how many D1 parents are pains in the asses to a coaching staff?  Bottom line most coaches deal with the parents because they want the kids.  get real.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:14:24 AM »

I'm still on the fence with him. While we have expressive characters (cue: the slamming of my boy) and emotional outbursts I'm not sure we have a player who holds the swan on every jumpshot too long and then fouls on the inbounds because he's late getting to his position.

My main issue with Smith is his development and inconsistency. He played more minutes this season and his numbers barely moved a tick. I also think his shooting is down this season which seems odd considering he was playing off creators like Williams and Padgett. He shined in the NCAA Tournament (against lesser teams until UNC) but before that wasn't shooting the ball well at all.

It will be interesting to see how he's utlilized next year. Louisville could lose all of Padgett, Palacios, Caracter, Williams, and Clark. If that happens, Smith has to be the #1 option, right?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
would he settle for backup behind the 3 amigos?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:20:05 PM »
Ok lets then change the question to would you rather have Cubillan or Smith?  becuase that is basically what we got.  I like Cubi, but Jerry Smith is a better player.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 08:26:24 PM »
Ok lets then change the question to would you rather have Cubillan or Smith?  becuase that is basically what we got.  I like Cubi, but Jerry Smith is a better player.

Smith is a better player, but Smith would want to start and he's not starting over our three guys.   There is a reason why Smith has threatened to transfer every year while at Louisville.  I'm surprised Rick didn't just say GOODBYE!

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »
how do you know that? c'mon!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »
cubi is a better fit. Smith is a nice player - end of story

reesiecup210

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »

Smith is a better player, but Smith would want to start and he's not starting over our three guys.   There is a reason why Smith has threatened to transfer every year while at Louisville.  I'm surprised Rick didn't just say GOODBYE!
Jerry Smith is head and shoulders above Cubillan.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 11:41:28 PM »
totally agree, but he would not start over the 3 amigos and this would cause issues.  That is why cubillian is a better fit

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 11:52:26 PM »
Anyone who would take Jerry Smith over David Cubillan is just blowing smoke out of their you know what.

David Cubillan has nothing more than the team in his mind and will take whatever role is needed of him by the coaches and team.

Jerry Smith is nothing but a punk who lives off of popping his jersey, getting into faces of people when he scores and always looking for a reason to celebrate after a lay up or a free throw.

Do we forget the way he ran off the court after he hit the game winner against us?  he took off his jersey threw it around and ran a lady over on his way to the locker room.

I would gladly take someone who wants to play his role and play for the team as opposed to someone who is all about himself and looking for ways to rub anything he can in his opponents faces. 

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
Anyone who would take Jerry Smith over David Cubillan is just blowing smoke out of their you know what.

David Cubillan has nothing more than the team in his mind and will take whatever role is needed of him by the coaches and team.

Jerry Smith is nothing but a punk who lives off of popping his jersey, getting into faces of people when he scores and always looking for a reason to celebrate after a lay up or a free throw.

Do we forget the way he ran off the court after he hit the game winner against us?  he took off his jersey threw it around and ran a lady over on his way to the locker room.

I would gladly take someone who wants to play his role and play for the team as opposed to someone who is all about himself and looking for ways to rub anything he can in his opponents faces. 

um, i dont think you can attack another player for showboating when comparing him to cubes- hes not the type of guy that doesnt showboat or rub stuff in

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
You guys are nuts
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:31:19 AM »
Give me Jerry Smith over David Cubillian any day of the week!!!!

This is worse than badger fans who would take Flowers over McNeal

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 07:37:35 AM »
I dion't particularly like either player, but at least Smith had something to celebrate the last two months of the season. After the Pitt win, Cubes' game took a dive.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 08:13:56 AM »
As a player, we know who is better: Smith. If talent were the only concern, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

As a personality, we can only speculate. The fact is, we don't know how Jerry Smith would fit in the MU program. We can guess (perhaps even educatedly so), but we cannot definitively know. Could Crean tame him? Could playing under the leadership of James, McNeal and Matthews make him more team orientated? Could he become the consumate teammate? We simply do not have answers to these questions. The evidence might be there that he is a punk. That said, ask Pittsburgh fans (not the best example, I know) if Cubillan is a punk? Personally, I'd rather see a kid chalk full of emotion tear off his shirt after the game winner than some one doing the shimmy after a relatively irrelevant three pointer. That's just my opinion though.

At this point, the only thing I can go on is talent level and right now, Jerry Smith gets the nod hands down.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »
Is this really a fair comparison?  We're comparing arguably Louisville's best guard to our 5th best?  I'd take a lot of other teams' starters over our bench players - would Smith really enjoy taking a seat as the #4 guard on the team though?  I'm sure he'd love the drop off from 1000+ minutes to 600 minutes.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »

Why is that the question? And, why is that basically what we got? I think you're short sighted in this case.

It wasn't a Jerry Smith/David Cubillan first to take the scholarship wins type thing. There's a reason why Crean recruited Jerry Smith and didn't put the full court on him like he did with Wesley Matthews and like he is with Jamil Wilson. If we're going to harp on not getting the local guy with attitude problems why aren't we talking about Kyle Weaver of Washington State and Jeronne Maymon of Madison Memorial. Both are kids that could play in the Big East but either didn't or won't get the press because of off the court reasons.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
Jerry Smith is yet another example of how Crean cannot land a big man.

I'm sorry, what was that?

You mean this the "Crean can't recruit bigs" thread?

Oops.

Sorry everybody.

feedback