[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] A look back with an eye on the future  (Read 3707 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] A look back with an eye on the future
« on: March 28, 2008, 07:00:09 AM »
A look back  with an eye on the future

Written by: NY Warrior

Six days after the toughest post-season loss I can remember,  the numbness still remains.  Initially after the loss I figured time would quickly heal the wound, and I'd enthusiastically look forward to what is always an interesting off-season with MU -- not to mention the promise of next season.

Oh, if that could be so.

Truth is, the Stanford defeat was MU's most painful post-season loss since the 1978 upset to Miami (Ohio).  This loss will ache for quite a while - - that's what happens when a program is flying high and has its wings clipped just before reaching new heights.  And sure, there's been plenty of debate about how MU lost -- there's never a shortage of opinions about this team when they lose a close game.  In watching the replay a couple of times this week on DVR, I have no complaints.  MU's best player, and one of the hottest players in the country, had an open look at the end of regulation and another open look with a few seconds left in OT;  neither shot fell.  Despite that, it took an NBA lottery pick making a remarkable shot to beat MU -- a shot he released as he slid behind the backboard towards the baseline, out-of-bounds.  In the end, MU came up short against a very good team.

Still, what the loss won't do is cloud the progress the Marquette program made during the 2007-2008 season.  While the team did not demonstrate the kind of watershed breakthrough many expected, the trajectory of the program remains impressive, particularly given the strong core of returning talent and a balanced recruiting class arriving this fall.

Let's recap the highlights:
  • 25-10 record, the third time a Crean-coached team reached that lofty wins plateau;
  • MU won at Wisconsin;
  • MU beat Notre Dame twice;
  • For the first time, MU advanced to the Big East Tournament semifinals;
  • MU advanced in the NCAA tournament;
  • The emergence of Maurice Acker.  Acker played his best ball in the last month of the season - a good sign for the long-term health of the program;
  • Jerel McNeal.  What can you say, he was extraordinary when his team needed him most;  
  • Dominic James.  Folks will complain about his shooting -- which is abominable -- but James emerged as MU's top on-the-ball defender this year, and his better than 2:1 assist to turnover ratio is an indication of how much his overall game improved year to year;
  • Trevor Mbakwe.  I'm indifferent about Crean's decision to rip the redshirt off late in the season, but in a limited role Mbakwe appears to be the out-of-area rebounder MU has lacked for years, and plays bigger than his size;
  • Lazar Hayward.  More often than not, players improve the most between their freshman eand sophomore seasons. That was the case for Hayward, who's diverse offensive game and rebounding toughness were welcome sights on a team that once relied solely on its backcourt.
Now, let's recap a few of the underwhelming points from the season:
  • Eleven Big East wins. While MU secured more Big East conference wins than ever before, the team also played more Big East games than ever before. Eleven wins is laudable but considering the veteran bunch MU returned this year, at least a dozen wins and competing for the Big East crown were more reasonable expectations;
  • Roster limitations.  Coming into the season with all of its key contributors returning, the sky appeared to be the limit for the Golden Eagles.  However a redundant roster, the lack of skilled big men, and the absence of outside shooting continue to define this group. Crean's strategy of building an athletic roster of players with limited offensive diversification and a hunger for aggressive defense has proven to be a smart formula for keeping the program in the upper half of the Big East -- a major accomplishment.  Despite this, there's a fear that the program will plateau at the present level unless that roster building approach is refined;
  • Poor production from the seniors:  Before the season started I was bullish on the team in part because of the return of two key seniors, Barro and Fitzgerald.  My enthusiasm was misplaced.  Unlike many of the seniors during TC's tenure, these guys failed to deliver in their final season much like Sanders, Townsend and Merritt struggled in lead roles for the 2003-2004 team.  Barro, relegated to a reserve role for most of the campaign, struggled mightily in that new capacity.  Even as a late-season starter, he never recaptured the promise he showed during his junior season.  Fitz?  Despite leading the nation in the dubious category of "fouling a shooter on a made basket", Fitzgerald rarely displayed the confidence of a senior in any aspect of his game.  His inability to sink open shots or contribute consistently with a solid floor game greatly hindered the team;
  • David Cubillan:  He was my pick to struggle this year, and he followed suit.  After his 13 point effort in the win against Pittsburgh in February, Cubillan became one of MU's most ineffective players in the last month of the season.  Cubillan scored a combined 14 points in MU's last eleven games, shooting 16% from the field (5 for 31) amidst declining playing time.  With the emergence of Maurice Acker, the impending arrival of Nick Williams and  Tyshawn Taylor, as well as a healthier Scott Christopherson it is difficult to see Cubillan contributing to this team next season.
By any measure, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives and the state of the program is solid to great.  This past season was a memorable ride.  While there are areas where the program needs to demonstrate improvement -- specifically in recruiting a broader mix of skills  -- the formula largely works, but is it enough going forward?

Coming up in the next couple of days we'll look at Crean's effort to remake the nature of the Marquette roster -- and what that could mean for the program.  On to the offseason!

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/03/look-back-with-eye-on-future.html

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] A look back with an eye on the future
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:33:15 AM »
Very nicely done.  Agree with most everything you said.

But I don't know that this loss was any more painful than the loss to Arkansas in 1996 (in a 4 vs 12 match-up) for a shot at the sweet 16, or the opening round losses to Tulsa in 2002 and Alabama in 2006.  In 1996 particularly, because I had a strong feeling that we had the best team we were going to have for a long time as O'Neill's recruits worked their way out of the system.  I remember driving home from that game thinking that it would be a long time before we'd have another opportunity like that.

That's the best thing about this team.  There is good reason to hope we'll be every bit as good next year as we were this year, and probably a little better.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:57:08 AM »
I don't mean to nitpick, but didn't MU lose to ND on the road?

overall, great blog though.

CORRECTION: You are right, MU did beat ND twice. I was thinking regular season only. I'm an idiot.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
More nitpicking, but I was more upset by our loss in the 1995 NIT Final!

Now THAT was a heartbreaker!

I also take issue with your characterization of our seniors. They played to their capabilities. That's all that can be asked of them.

But great blog and great job all season!

muchalktalk

• Walk-On
Ooze and Cubillan
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
Everybody blames Ooze's production drop on his not starting.  I wonder if his production drop was due to the fact that he took the summer off and went back to visit his family, rather than working on his game.  Don't get me wrong, I am not denying him the chance to see his family, as some things are more important that basketball.  I just think that probably had more to due with his lack of progress than not starting.

With Cubillan, he played a lot of basketball with the Venezulaen (sp?) national team this summer.  Is it possible that his shot was off due to tired legs?  If that proves out to be the case, I would expect him to bounce back nicely next season. 

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
I like Burke. A lot. That said, I thought it was one of Crean's biggest mistakes during his tenure here to supplant Barro in the starting line-up.

I understand the argument of trying to light a fire under a kid, or that good practice should be rewarded. However, as a coach, you cannot apply the same motivational techniques to all individuals.

I won't waste too much space or time stating all the reasons I think it was a bad idea. That has all be thrown around before. I will say, however, that I think Ooze shouldn't be blamed for "not playing to his abilities." Once he placed back in the starting line-up, Ooze played exactly to where he has always been: an unpolished big guy with the heart of a lion.

One thing I will say is that next year, as I have said for the last three-four years, there needs to be a much more conscience effort to feed the post. Even if we don't get much productivity out of it, I think the post needs to be fed in the traditional manner anywhere from 5-10 times a game. It creates better spacing and it instills confidence in our bigs. Part of the reason that I feel so many mid-majors arguably have "better post players" is because they actually give their guys a chance to play down low. We, not counting a couple feeds to Lazar late in the year, probably averaged one entry feed into the post per every two games.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »

I also take issue with your characterization of our seniors. They played to their capabilities. That's all that can be asked of them.

Really?  That was a heartbreaker, but we shot something like 37%% from the line that day so we did it to ourselves.  In the Stanford game, we played well all around against the #10 team in the country.  Yeah, it sucked losing to Va. Tech in the NIT finals, but it was the NIT finals and when you shoot 37% from the line, you don't deserve to win.

Pardner

Re: Lazar and Cubillan
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:48:11 PM »

With Cubillan, he played a lot of basketball with the Venezulaen (sp?) national team this summer.  Is it possible that his shot was off due to tired legs?  If that proves out to be the case, I would expect him to bounce back nicely next season. 

Great point Muchalktalk.  I was thinking Lazar also was tired at the end of the season.  Even despite foul trouble, he just wasn't in some games offensively as he was earlier.  Not uncommon for sophomores.  

Btw, I think dCubes improved in other areas of his game:  on ball pressure without the fouls...and he also led the team in assist to turnover ratio (2.3).  This is why he maintined being a valuable sub as he always gave quality minutes off the bench.  He just lost all confidence in his trey for whatever reason.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »

thx for the feedback, and for your readership.

I dont feel the pain from that 95 game, never really did.  MU was what, a FT away from being able to say -- "HEY, WE'RE #65!"

;D

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »

Really?  That was a heartbreaker, but we shot something like 37%% from the line that day so we did it to ourselves.  In the Stanford game, we played well all around against the #10 team in the country.  Yeah, it sucked losing to Va. Tech in the NIT finals, but it was the NIT finals and when you shoot 37% from the line, you don't deserve to win.

I agree with PRN on this one.  I know 1995 Va Tech wasn't as good as 2008 Stanford, but winning championships of any kind is very nice.  It would have been great to win the NIT.  As tough to take as Stanford was, we were very unlikely to advance to the Final Four anyway.

On  the train home after the NIT loss to Va Tech, I was thinking two things.  
1. We're gonna be really good next year, and
2. Where the heck was Aaron Hutchins all year?  We should've been in the NCAAs.

I always say I don't understand why people don't mind losing conference tournaments because it gets you ready for the NCAAs, etc.  I like winning postseason tournaments.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 12:58:39 PM »

thx for the feedback, and for your readership.

I dont feel the pain from that 95 game, never really did.  MU was what, a FT away from being able to say -- "HEY, WE'RE #65!"

;D

Talk about an underachieving team.  That squad had 2 or 3 future NBA players on it, played in the Great Midwest and had to go on a tear at the end of the season just to make the NIT. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »
If Hutchins had played significant minutes his freshman year -- and I have no idea why he didn't -- he'd be one of Marquette's all-time leading scorers.

tonyreeder

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
Very nicely done.  Agree with most everything you said.

But I don't know that this loss was any more painful than the loss to Arkansas in 1996 (in a 4 vs 12 match-up) for a shot at the sweet 16, or the opening round losses to Tulsa in 2002 and Alabama in 2006.  In 1996 particularly, because I had a strong feeling that we had the best team we were going to have for a long time as O'Neill's recruits worked their way out of the system.  I remember driving home from that game thinking that it would be a long time before we'd have another opportunity like that.

That's the best thing about this team.  There is good reason to hope we'll be every bit as good next year as we were this year, and probably a little better.

96 loss to Arkansas hurt bad for me.  We were a #4 seed and Arkansas was a #12 who had upset #5 Nebraska.  This was a transitional team for Nolan Richardson and not the Corliss Williamson/Scotty Thurman type teams.  MU should have thumped them but they could not hit a shot and Deane used up his timeouts about 4 minutes into the 2nd half.   Hutch, Piep, Crawdaddy, Eford and Amal were the starting five and all averaged double figures.  That was a great balanced team who would have gave UMass (Camby coached by Calipari) a great game.  Still miffs me.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
Terrific job on the blog, particularly this line.

"Fitz?  Despite leading the nation in the dubious category of "fouling a shooter on a made basket", Fitzgerald rarely displayed the confidence of a senior in any aspect of his game."

I know its been mentioned on this board many times, Fitz inability to learn how to effectively foul was one of the most frustrating spects of the season.

In terms of most difficult postseason losses, I'll go with the following, leading with most difficult.

1) Loss to Arkansas.  Painful to watch.
2) Loss to Stanford.  We played well and had opportunities for a great win, but it didn't go our way.
3) Loss to Tulsa.  We didn't play well.
4) NIT Final to Va Tech.
5) NIT Quarterfinal loss to Minnesota when John Cliff 3 pt shot rimmed out at the buzzer - a great game and tough loss.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »
i'd add the NIT loss to Western Michigan to that list

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
This loss does not compare to Rick Mount's dagger in overtime in 1969. Kept us from going to final four. Also does not compare to 27-0 Marquette team losing to Ohio St. as Dean Meminger fouls out the only time in his carreer on three offensive fouls and Chones misses two shots in the last minute to blow a three point lead. No shot clock in 1971. This team was not going far anyways, so the loss really is not that tough.

Pardner

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »
The 1978 Miami of Ohio game was so utterly bitter.  This team was deeper than the 1977 champion.  The next game would have a match-up with Kentucky, who we had been #1 with us off and on all year--and who went on to win the NCAA that year.  I forget who the ref was who tossed Jay, but it could have very well been THiggs.  Miami still celebrates it 30 years later to make it even worse.   Now, that is tortured pain.

http://www.journal-news.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/miami/2008/03/02/hjn030208miaminotes.html

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 07:56:08 AM »
How 'bout the giant turd we dropped vs. Kansas in the FF?  Or the championship game loss to NC State in 1974.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 07:57:59 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"