[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Michael Rosario on Tyshawn Taylor  (Read 3458 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Michael Rosario on Tyshawn Taylor
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:45:17 PM »
Michael Rosario on Tyshawn Taylor

Written by: Todd Rosiak

I've been over at the McDonald's All-American fesitivities the last couple of days and on Tuesday afternoon during a media availability session with all the players, I was able to talk with Rutgers signee Michael Rosario.

Rosario, of course, is a guard from St. Anthony in Jersey City, N.J. who started in the same backcourt with MU signee Tyshawn Taylor. The two teamed up this season to lead the Friars to a 32-0 season, a national-record 25th state title in New Jersey, and the mythical high-school national championship.

First, I asked Rosario what Golden Eagles fans should expect out of Taylor.

"They're going to get a lot of athleticism, leadership, good point-guard vision because he's going to play the point," he said. "He's a big point, too, 6-3 1/2, and he's so quick and he can jump. They're going to get a lot out of him next year because he's a great player and he's going to build into a great player."

According to Rosario, Taylor played mostly point on a team that featured six seniors that signed to play for Division I teams this fall.

"And he played the wing a couple of possessions. He was good at both positions," he said. "He could basically play everything."

An interesting twist to Rosario's and Taylor's relationship is that the two discovered last season that they were distant relatives.

"He's a great guy, on and off the court. He's a good friend. That's my cousin from my father's side," Rosario said. "We didn't find out until the end of junior year. I found out from my grandmother. There's a whole lot to the story. We've been together since he came down to St. Anthony's; we used to hang out, but we never knew we were family. It was a crazy thing to find out. We just started hanging out a lot and spending a lot of time together."

Along with that familial bond, there's also been some good-natured ribbing between the two and the battles Rutgers and MU will have over the course of the next four seasons.

"We've been going back and forth, and can't wait to get on the court against each other," he said. "Just have a great time, no hard feelings. I told him when we get on the court, don't take no hard feelings. When we're on the court, we're strictly business."

Rosario said he and Taylor went at each other on plenty of occasions in practice at St. Anthony, famed as one of the toughest programs in America with coach Bob Hurley at the helm.

"That was one thing I loved about my team this year, because we had like, all guards," he said. "We had straight matchups going against each other like, every day. And that was great because we were all getting better every day."

Keeping that in mind, Rosario then expounded on what he thought Taylor needed to work on heading into MU -- perimeter shooting.

"That's the only thing he needs to work on. If he gets that down pat, he's going to be a good player," he said. "He's going to be a great player. If he gets that jump shot down pat, his outside shot, there's no doubt I think he can make it to the (NBA). That's how much stock he has in himself.

"A lot of people don't know that around the country because they go off the Greg Monroes and the Brandon Jennings, so they don't really look into who the players are in the East. Nobody had really heard of him until he played at Reebok RBK camp. That's what basically got his name out there.

"But once people see him at Marquette and see how much he improves, and when he improves that jumper, it's going to be hard to stop him."

Rosario himself was once a recruiting target of MU, but said the fit was better for him at Rutgers.

"I thought it was a little bit too far away, but they were also recruiting me as a point guard," he said. "I wasn't looking to be recruited as that. (MU's) a great school."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/03/25/michael-rosario-on-tyshawn-taylor.aspx

The Lens

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Michael Rosario on Tyshawn Taylor
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »
If either Fulce or O'Toule is a decent player, this will be a very good class. Nick Williams & Taylor seem like the real deal.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:33:13 PM »
I am definitely interested to see Taylor and Williams.  I'm actually reading a book featuring St. Anthony's - kinda cool to understand the situations some of these kids have to endure with Hurley. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:45:52 AM »
If either Fulce or O'Toule is a decent player, this will be a very good class. Nick Williams & Taylor seem like the real deal.

Granted, even though it's one of the best juco areas in the country, Fulce still plays in juco.

But his stats this year have been sick.  I think his weakness is that he'll need to get stronger, but he should be a good one too.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
Miracle of St. Anthony's is a must read. Maybe the best basketball book I've ever read.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:58 AM »
Fulce also was recruited to play at A&M.  He could be a very good role player and I like his length.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:55:40 AM »
I think the key next year is we will need one of the newcomers (and, really, both TM and SC can be counted here) to be capable of getting 15-18 in Division I competition. I'm not saying they need to average that, what with McNeal, Hayward, and Matthews as the key scorers. But this season we were defined by having 4-5 guys that could get 15 on any night. Except for cupcakes, we never got all 4 or 5 at 15 but when James was down, Barro would pick it up or when Hayward was down, Matthews would pick it up.

The excitment comes from potential: Nick Williams seems to have the finest polish to his offensive game; Taylor as great size for a guard and is already Big East-caliber in terms of athleticism and intensity; Mbakwe has been given more plaudits as a freshman from Crean then any player above 6'6''; Fulce and Otule are the great unknowns but sound appealing based on rough outlines; and, finally, Christopherson clearly has the best jumpshot on the team and we all hope that with the knee fully healed over the summer he will step it up.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:36:55 AM »

Granted, even though it's one of the best juco areas in the country, Fulce still plays in juco.

But his stats this year have been sick.  I think his weakness is that he'll need to get stronger, but he should be a good one too.

Agreed. and MU gets him for 3 yrs, meaning he might actually produce at this level.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
I saw Fulce play in his last game of the year. He scored 29 I think and did it in a variety of ways. Very Athletic and his handle is better then I thought it would be. Rebounds out of his area.

Needs to get stronger but will definitely help us next year.

I think he could easily take Fitz's minutes. More of a 3 man right now but could play the 4 against some matchups as well.

I really liked what i saw but it was only one game so take that for what its worth.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
for those who have seen him, if Fulce kind of a Kevin Garnett build? shorter but that type of frame? if so, his athleticism could be really valuable these next three years.

MUAlum99

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »
The one weakness that keeps coming up with all of the recruits for next year is their shooting.

Granted, I haven't seen any of these guys live - but the knock on TT in the above article is his shot.  I've heard the same about NW, JF and CO...I'm not sure I'm feeling very confident about that.  Isn't that the same problem that we have right now?  A bunch of athletic guards/wings who can't shoot?  Otule might be excused because he's a big and I'm more concerned about his touch around the hoop.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because warriors are what we really are."  - Wesley Matthews

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »
The one weakness that keeps coming up with all of the recruits for next year is their shooting.

Granted, I haven't seen any of these guys live - but the knock on TT in the above article is his shot.  I've heard the same about NW, JF and CO...I'm not sure I'm feeling very confident about that.  Isn't that the same problem that we have right now?  A bunch of athletic guards/wings who can't shoot?  Otule might be excused because he's a big and I'm more concerned about his touch around the hoop.

Nick Williams is a shooter. Catch and shoot.

http://marquette.scout.com/a.z?s=415&p=8&c=1&nid=2348524
But I like to throw handfuls...

NotAnAlum

• All American
Must agree with MuAlum99
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
TC seems to be so committed to this drive to the hoop type offense that the outlook is that we will stay one dimensional on offense and that is not good.  I believe you can "teach a guy to shoot" but we haven't proven we can do that.  If you're going to build a team that is a competitor for the Big East title you've got to have a couple guys that you can count on to be 40% from 3 day in and day out at home and on the road.  This is particularly true if you are counting on a 3 or 4 guard offense.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »
Miracle of St. Anthony's is a must read. Maybe the best basketball book I've ever read.

+1.  It's definitely worth the 400 or so pages.  A few MU mentions in there too (we were recruiting G Sean McCurdy, who wound up signing with Arkansas and transferred to William & Mary).

Seems like TC is trying to pattern Marquette after St. Anthony's -- quick, guard-focused play that thrives off of the transition game, even though none of their stars are 7-footers.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
Re: Must agree with MuAlum99
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »
TC seems to be so committed to this drive to the hoop type offense that the outlook is that we will stay one dimensional on offense and that is not good.  I believe you can "teach a guy to shoot" but we haven't proven we can do that.  If you're going to build a team that is a competitor for the Big East title you've got to have a couple guys that you can count on to be 40% from 3 day in and day out at home and on the road.  This is particularly true if you are counting on a 3 or 4 guard offense.

I think Crean adapts to talent...when he had Diener and Novak (both good shooters) we played the three a lot more.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

murocky01

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
One other thing to consider is that the 3-point line is moving back one foot next year.  This shouldn't really affect true 3-point shooters, but could spell trouble for players that already struggle from the 3-point line.  It will be interesting to see how MU adapts to this change.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »

It was only a couple of years ago that people were upset that we lived and died by the three. Now we are too one dimensional because we only drive to the hoop.

Interesting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:51 PM »

We did have a couple of guys that shot 40% day in and day out from 3 point land.

Lazar Hayward 45.1%
Maurice Acker at 42.6%

We had Fitz right on the cusp at 38%

feedback