[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could the MU vs UW game ever be at a neutral site?  (Read 8344 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Could the MU vs UW game ever be at a neutral site?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
Correct.  A better example of how a neutral site could work is having ND and MU playing a game at the United Center.

Had heard this idea has been floated out there to both schools as recently as this summer. Not sure where things stand, but with Brey and Wojo both being Duke guys, it wouldn't surprise me if they play each other in the next year or two.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »

Correct.  A better example of how a neutral site could work is having ND and MU playing a game at the United Center.  (I have thought you could have a nice double-header with those two teams, and then DePaul v. either UI or NW.)

Yup, this has been floated before and its a great idea. The United Center would be the ideal place.

How would this impact ticket revenue for MU? Would a neutral game every year net us more money than a sold out home game every other year?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
Why would you want to MU/UW game played at a neutral site?  It is a big sellout for both schools in the otherwise "buy game" home non-conference schedule. 

Why deny that money making opportunity?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 10:26:36 AM »
Why would you want to MU/UW game played at a neutral site?  It is a big sellout for both schools in the otherwise "buy game" home non-conference schedule. 

Why deny that money making opportunity?

That was my question as well. However, surely there is still money to be made in a neutral site game. The question is, is it at least half of what a home game makes you, because that is your break-even if you are making it every year instead of every other year.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
Coulda happened in the 2003 Tourney but Bucky fooked up, hey?

It would have been nice to ride to the Final Four on Bucky's back, but I think the win over UK was much more meaningful from a historical standpoint (first FF since Al, Al and Adolph - dare I say - were arch rivals back in the day, and MU knocking off #1 UK just a couple years after Al's passing).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
Miller Park would be the only option, but I have no idea why they'd want to do that.  If the temperature is in the 40's it might work, but with lousy sightlines and temporary seats on the field.  I don't know if they'd really sell all that many more tickets to make it worthwhile.  Maybe they could get up to 30,000 because of the novelty, but an extra 10,000 cheap seats at $10/each only gets you an extra $100,000.  All the temporary bleachers and other logistical issues probably eat up that cost.  The BC and KC are both great atmospheres for this game, leave it as-is.

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
They could play on an aircraft carrier...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
They could play on an aircraft carrier...

Made me laugh. Great post for a rookie!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »
Miller Park would be the only option, but I have no idea why they'd want to do that.  If the temperature is in the 40's it might work, but with lousy sightlines and temporary seats on the field.  I don't know if they'd really sell all that many more tickets to make it worthwhile.  Maybe they could get up to 30,000 because of the novelty, but an extra 10,000 cheap seats at $10/each only gets you an extra $100,000.  All the temporary bleachers and other logistical issues probably eat up that cost.  The BC and KC are both great atmospheres for this game, leave it as-is.

This is why Miller Park will never host a Final Four or any other meaningful college basketball games during the season... if the temperature on the court is entirely dependent upon the weather, nobody's going to schedule such a venue in Wisconsin Nov-Mar.  Now, they might do something in Charleston, SC or somewhere like that in the month of November, but hopefully whoever does such a thing figures out how to keep the court's temperature above the dew point.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
BC is neutral enough, nothing worse than seeing the red in our house.  Love the guys who show in Wisky gear during other MU games, WTF??

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »
was wondering if that could happen to the MU UW game
You can probably stop wondering that.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 04:17:37 PM »

The difference between MU-UW and IU-UK is that the distribution of IU and UK fans is fairly evenly distributed. In the state of Wisconsin, Badger fans outnumber MU fans at least 20 to 1.

Closest example would be UK-LU.  LU owns Louisville and UK owns the rest of the state.  And they alternate like MU-UW.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Had heard this idea has been floated out there to both schools as recently as this summer. Not sure where things stand, but with Brey and Wojo both being Duke guys, it wouldn't surprise me if they play each other in the next year or two.

It will be interesting, though both being Duke guys could hurt us more than it helps. I asked Wojo about that at the award banquet and he said they don't often play against each other in the non-conference because they were all like family and it l meant someone had to lose. Obviously we'll see going forward but I don't expect home-and-homes with Duke, Northwestern, or Stanford. Not sure if the nature of the Marquette/Notre Dame rivalry might be different.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
It will be interesting, though both being Duke guys could hurt us more than it helps. I asked Wojo about that at the award banquet and he said they don't often play against each other in the non-conference because they were all like family and it l meant someone had to lose. Obviously we'll see going forward but I don't expect home-and-homes with Duke, Northwestern, or Stanford. Not sure if the nature of the Marquette/Notre Dame rivalry might be different.
Kind of like how Louisville didn't like playing Manhattan. Coaches want to keep their "advantage".

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »
Maybe we can play it on 4never's Lake Michigan yacht.