[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Will the presence of CBS cameras lead Marquette to announce that Saturday's crowd is the "largest college basketball crowd ever in Wisconsin?"  

Yes...CBS isn't wise to that transparent ruse quite yet.
62 (66%)
No. They couldn't possibly think we'd fall for that again.
3 (3.2%)
Only if it's actually the largest crowd ever.
29 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Voting closed: March 01, 2008, 05:55:53 PM

Author Topic: Record crowd Saturday?  (Read 14627 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Record crowd Saturday?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »
It's a school record!! Isn't that enough?

It's not a record!

It's a lie created and promoted by Tom Crean in an effort to raise his own profile and feed his ego.

He's also tells people to wear gold, and they actually do it! He gets off on his power.

Why don't you people get it?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
I have no problem with them continually setting a new record...but its the caveat they put on it, saying it’s a state of Wisconsin record.  It’s just an intentional swipe at Bucky that makes me feel small inside.  Shouldn’t we be above trying to one up the University of Wisconsin?  We’re a NATIONAL University.

You know, I've never thought of it that way.  I always heard it as "this just isn't a BC record.  It's a state-wide record."   Pretty similar to most sports, where they specify exactly what kind of record it is.  Season record, school-specific record, conference record, state record, national record.

Since we'll never have that national record, I see zero problem with calling it a state of WI record, since that's what it is.   I don't see it as a swipe at UW at all.  It is what it is.  A state record.  -- And if the Kohl Center was bigger, I have no doubt they would have the record, and everyone knows that.

If we want to take a swipe at UW with some facts, that's easy.  MU has way fewer a-holes, by percentage and count.   ;)

atticusfinch

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 02:14:30 PM »
I believe the State of Wisconsin line is used to include Badger and Buck games as well (and UWM, after all, it's good for the State of Wisconsin to include them). And according to ticketmaster, you can only get single seats, Row R in the upper deck at this time. I asked for two tickets and it said "unavailable." So I belive this will be a sell out by tipoff, and would set a new record for attendance at basketball games, college or pro, in the State.

And PRN, shouldn't you wait until after the game to criticize the attendance numbers? If I see a bunch of empty seats and the announcement is made, I'll give you full props.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure this game was sold out before the season began, in October.

The place will be packed.  Saturday afternoon, nationally televised CBS game against two ranked teams, and and AND most importantly:  MU is playing good ball.   Besides the UW game, this is MU's superbowl.

Hell yeah, this game is sold out and packed to the rafters.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 03:30:43 PM »
The "in the state of WI" does make us sound defensive / contrived.  Not something I'll lose any sleep over, though.

I suspect we sell out MORE OFTEN than the Bucks, and with a much shorter season......  Anyone know for sure?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »

The place will be packed.  Saturday afternoon, nationally televised CBS game against two ranked teams, and and AND most importantly:  MU is playing good ball.   Besides the UW game, this is MU's superbowl.

It wasn't sold out as of today. Call the ticket office.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »

It was sold out, but tickets come back.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »
I called trying to find a pair of tickets for my brother, but they only had "a few single seats available."

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »
I called trying to find a pair of tickets for my brother, but they only had "a few single seats available."

The ticket exchange had pairs - but lots of cash needed

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 10:05:16 PM »
That's correct, I was just informed that there are only about 20 single seats still available.  So depending on how many are in the luxury boxes, it's definitly possible that it could be the largest crowd to ever watch a college basketball game in wisconsin

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »

sometimes you just need to know when to let go ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 10:26:46 PM »

If I didn't already have an excellent avatar, I would totally steal that gif

Hey, I heard it might be a record crowd this Saturday.  Maybe even the largest in the State of Wisconsin.  That would be sweet!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
A game is considered a sellout if only single tickets remain.  The game is a sell out.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 12:27:24 AM »
PRN, you do realize that all teams in all sporting events report the number of tickets sold, right? That's why you have attendance numbers like 7,453 on a major snowstorm night when only 1,569 show up. This isn't something that only Marquette does.

I think it's a touch disingenous (sp?) on the part of all leagues, MLB, NC2A, NBA, NFL, whomever, to announce tickets sold as attendance. I'd like to know an accurate count of paying customers, the number of bodies who paid to get in the building, for attendance. If they want to include a number of total folks in the building or total # of tickets sold as well, go right ahead.

Now that I think about it, a sellout isn't truly a sellout if single seats remain, is it?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 12:31:21 AM by Eye »
GO WARRIORS!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »

Why bother calling? The ticket office will just tell you whatever Crean told them to lie about because everybody related to MU is just a drone under Crean's regime.

Some of you people are so clueless as to what is really going on.

They will call it a sell out because Crean wants them to call it a sell-out. That's it.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 09:08:24 AM »
Is Crean a superdelegate?  How much power does this man have?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
I've got the answer to this problem. Just put up a banner in the BC for every new record crowd.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 10:38:13 AM »

Spiral...you have to forward the link to that video...lol!

BTW- Is this thread serious?  We're playing frickin Georgetown on Saturday and people are concerned whether or not MU decides to announce that we set another single-game attendance record?! 

Wouldn't it be great if MU didn't market the program at all....or better yet, actually only drew 9,000 per game like DePaul?  That would be really great.  I feel so misled by Tom Crean, the University, the Board of Trustees, and the Athletic Department that I may just not use my tickets.

What a huge problem this is....I hope the administration seriously evaluates the consequences.

Unbelievable.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:04:46 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if MU didn't market the program at all....or better yet, actually only drew 9,000 per game like DePaul?  That would be really great.  I feel so misled by Tom Crean, the University, the Board of Trustees, and the Athletic Department that I may just not use my tickets.

What a huge problem this is....I hope the administration seriously evaluates the consequences.

Unbelievable.

[Applause]

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »
Spriral...you have to forward the link to that video...lol!

not a video.. just an animated gif.. glad you liked it :) here it is:
http://iansouter.com/brain/images/pole_fail.gif
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »

BTW- Is thread serious?  We're playing frickin Georgetown on Saturday and people are concerned whether or not MU decides to announce that we set another single-game attendance record?! 

Unbelievable.

Some fans just project negativism....remember, some just don't like the guy.  Remember last month we had about 5 new fans here....has anyone seen any of them since?  Of course not, because we're winning.  It gets old, but some people love to wallow in self pity and negativism.  Have at it, not for me.

Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

augoman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »

Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

[/quote]

Wow!  Haven't heard Spiro Agnew quoted in quite a while!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2008, 12:12:17 PM »
Actually William Safire was the one that came up with it, Agnew uttered it.

It came up again about 2 weeks ago in the current campaign, though this time on the left which made me chuckle.  Good to see some of the old one liners come back from time to time.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2008, 01:00:07 PM »

BTW- Is thread serious?  We're playing frickin Georgetown on Saturday and people are concerned whether or not MU decides to announce that we set another single-game attendance record?! 

Unbelievable.

You've got it all wrong.

You think MU does this stuff to promote the program and the school?

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

WAKE UP

The ONLY reason MU does this stuff is because of Crean's giant frickin' ego. He bullies everybody around and controls the whole athletic department.

He also controls all of the BC employees and the JS, so he can manipulate the attendance numbers.

Seriously, I don't think I can take the lies anymore... and what's worse is that you "Crean Sheep" on this board buy into all of the stuff!

I will be at the game wearing an original Warriors shirt from back in 1986, the glory days when MU's coach wasn't a spotlight hogging whore.

You can keep your Golden Eagles and your stupid attendance records, coach Crean. I know the REAL truth. 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2008, 01:07:13 PM »
well done....