Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Please, Coach  (Read 14578 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Please, Coach
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »

What does Sacar have to do to get in the game?  Is there such a drop off in his contribution.

It seems similar to Coach K and how Semi was treated, and he left. 

Check out his body language, he might be hard to notice he's #2 but his warm up jacket seem never to come off.

I'll trust the coaches who see the guys in practice infinitely more than any of us to decide who should play.

Are you related to Sacar? I love when players' friends/relatives/coaches start peddling for them on the board. It always ends well. (See last year and JJJ)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 11:30:30 AM »
I'll trust the coaches who see the guys in practice infinitely more than any of us to decide who should play.

Are you related to Sacar? I love when players' friends/relatives/coaches start peddling for them on the board. It always ends well. (See last year and JJJ)

Not related, but at the beginning of season Wojo mentioned that he might be the best athlete on the team.  Also on the Europe trip he seem to have minutes and played OK.

Then after the Iowa game virtually nothing.  What happened.

I agree, Coaches have so much more insight in game plans, and depth of what's happening in practice than Fans.  But maybe a slight chance their not always right. Anyways why not throw him a bone at game ending minutes in big losses.  Really hard going into the locker room  after a game and your the only ride player that didn't play.  Tough diet as the season happens.

I would like to eyeball him on the court to see what he brings, no matter how small his window might be.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 11:58:30 AM »
Du has had a rough stretch her. Same thing happened last year. He eventually figured it out. He will be fine. I do agree with getting Wally some more minutes.

Duane through 6 BEast games 3P%:
2015: 29% (7-24)
2016: 28% (9-32)

Non Con 3P%:
2015: 33% (16-48)
2016: 34% (25-73)

That's not to defend his shot selection in the second half, which was poor, but like Brew was saying, he has no memory. And Wojo knows it can turn around in a blink a la St. John's (where he shot 1-6 from 3 in the first then led the comeback with a 3-3 performance from long range).

One non-related point, not to throw Luke under the bus, but his absence didn't spur the Xavier rally. He was a -12 on the floor on Saturday and was on the floor for all but 4 points of the Xavier TKO 21-0 run.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2016, 12:05:43 AM »

One non-related point, not to throw Luke under the bus, but his absence didn't spur the Xavier rally. He was a -12 on the floor on Saturday and was on the floor for all but 4 points of the Xavier TKO 21-0 run.

It's not throwing somebody under the bus to state facts, and I found these interesting. Thanks for digging them up and sharing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2016, 07:22:09 AM »
Not related, but at the beginning of season Wojo mentioned that he might be the best athlete on the team.

That's saying something on a team with Wally Ellenson, who is a phenomenal athlete.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 08:13:23 AM »
That's saying something on a team with Wally Ellenson, who is a phenomenal athlete.

What can I tell you, if you're doubtful, then  with some research you can check it out.  I think it was just before the season started and in reference to why he was using a 6'-5" at the 4 spot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
Not related, but at the beginning of season Wojo mentioned that he might be the best athlete on the team.  Also on the Europe trip he seem to have minutes and played OK.

Then after the Iowa game virtually nothing.  What happened.

I agree, Coaches have so much more insight in game plans, and depth of what's happening in practice than Fans.  But maybe a slight chance their not always right. Anyways why not throw him a bone at game ending minutes in big losses.  Really hard going into the locker room  after a game and your the only ride player that didn't play.  Tough diet as the season happens.

I would like to eyeball him on the court to see what he brings, no matter how small his window might be.

These are the same arguments people were having the last couple of years with regard to other players.  It seems like you want to have your curiosity satisfied more than anything, and you are saying things like "body language" to justify if he should actually play.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
What can I tell you, if you're doubtful, then  with some research you can check it out.  I think it was just before the season started and in reference to why he was using a 6'-5" at the 4 spot.

My comment was not meant to be negative about Anim.  It was meant to say that he must be very athletic if the coach thinks he may be the most athletic guy on a roster that has Wally Ellenson.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2016, 09:17:14 AM »

These are the same arguments people were having the last couple of years with regard to other players.  It seems like you want to have your curiosity satisfied more than anything, and you are saying things like "body language" to justify if he should actually play.

I'm saying check out his "body Language" and draw your own conclusion.  I don't know what goes on in practice, and don't know the game plan, and how Sacar fits in it.  So I don't know if  he should play or not.  But in game ending minutes in Big Losses why is  he the only guy to not get on the floor.  It's rough in the locker room when guys are rehashing the game and you don't have much to say.  It's wearing!

As I said before, I believe this is similar to Coach K and Semi.  I'm wondering if the commitment between him and Wojo is the same as it was at the beginning of the season.  So far the only things I can see is he is not playing and checking out his body language for any indication if the commitment has changed.

No big deal, just drawing tendencies of what I SEE and what I have seen.  There are my observations, that all..

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »
My comment was not meant to be negative about Anim.  It was meant to say that he must be very athletic if the coach thinks he may be the most athletic guy on a roster that has Wally Ellenson.

Sorry,

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2016, 09:55:39 AM »
I'm saying check out his "body Language" and draw your own conclusion.  I don't know what goes on in practice, and don't know the game plan, and how Sacar fits in it.  So I don't know if  he should play or not.  But in game ending minutes in Big Losses why is  he the only guy to not get on the floor.  It's rough in the locker room when guys are rehashing the game and you don't have much to say.  It's wearing!

As I said before, I believe this is similar to Coach K and Semi.  I'm wondering if the commitment between him and Wojo is the same as it was at the beginning of the season.  So far the only things I can see is he is not playing and checking out his body language for any indication if the commitment has changed.

No big deal, just drawing tendencies of what I SEE and what I have seen.  There are my observations, that all..

Not saying this applies to Anim but if a player doesn't work hard in practice or doesn't put in extra time or has poor body language  ::) then throwing him some garbage minutes is not going to do anything to alleviate that. This isn't elementary school where the coach rotates in a new 5 every few minutes to keep thing fair. It's D1 basketball. You don't give a player minutes because you're worried about him feeling sorry for himself listening to the better players discuss the game in the locker room. That's asinine! Toughen up! You give him minutes if and when he earns them and/or when he's ready to contribute.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2016, 11:09:21 AM »
I don't put anything into body language at all unless I know the person.  If he is active and engaged, that doesn't necessarily mean he is happy, and if he looks to be sulking, that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
Not saying this applies to Anim but if a player doesn't work hard in practice or doesn't put in extra time or has poor body language  ::) then throwing him some garbage minutes is not going to do anything to alleviate that. This isn't elementary school where the coach rotates in a new 5 every few minutes to keep thing fair. It's D1 basketball. You don't give a player minutes because you're worried about him feeling sorry for himself listening to the better players discuss the game in the locker room. That's asinine! Toughen up! You give him minutes if and when he earns them and/or when he's ready to contribute.

You may be right, all I'm saying as I seen it before, and in that case saw the  the result of it.
It's the coach's decision, he's the boss.  I believe for every action there is a reaction and that reactions  vary.  As an observer all I know he is not playing and I'm trying to interpret his body language as to what I think it might be saying.

I think there was a Big Daddy post(He seem to lean on his broom and listens) about Sacar That he was not Frustrated but Disappointed.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2016, 11:48:44 AM »
I don't put anything into body language at all unless I know the person.  If he is active and engaged, that doesn't necessarily mean he is happy, and if he looks to be sulking, that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

Your right, the key word being "Necessarily".

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2016, 11:59:04 AM »

Agree.  Inferring attitude or emotions from the body language of a total stranger is an exercise in futility.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
Body language? OK ... but is he slapping five?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »
Body language? OK ... but is he slapping fivethe floor?

FIFY

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »
Duane's grandmother died last week.  An ounce of slack, please. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2016, 01:52:30 PM »
He's the only 1 who doesn't play because we only have 10 eligible scholarship players( I'm not including Mache).

If we had a full roster there would be 3 or 4 guys that wouldn't play much or at all.

He isn't playing because at this point other guys are better.

It really isn't that hard to figure out. This isn't CYO ball.

jsheim

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »
Duane reminds me of Mayo...not exactly the same game but that same feeling of "Flashes of brilliance but he's really hurtin the cause".

I'm willing to give him another year to mature.

I just wish he'd drive more than shooting threes.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »
For a 14-game stretch (LSU thru Nova), Duane shot 40.3% from 3 (29-72).

The young man can shoot. Let's not overreact to a 1-10 performance. 

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »
Duane reminds me of Mayo...not exactly the same game but that same feeling of "Flashes of brilliance but he's really hurtin the cause".

I'm willing to give him another year to mature.

I just wish he'd drive more than shooting threes.

Fine with him driving, as long as he does a good amount of dishing. He must have had 4 or 5 layups blocked against St. John's. Could be what has scared him to the outside the past couple games.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2016, 02:34:36 PM »
I think Anim's problem is that he gets out of position on defense. He did get in against Seton Hall and immediately fouled Whitehead when Whitehead drove between him and another defender. He was immediately taken out and did not return. I did think on that play he was more of a victim than anything and felt bad for him. The first part of the season I thought Wilson seemed very disinterested when he was playing. I think he is now past that, but I am sure he had a lot of pride to swallow when Wojo started the freshmen guards over him. Sure he gets his minutes, but not starting had to hurt. Although Wilson played point guard as a senior in high school, he was never really a point guard. I think we win two games this year we are not expecting to win. One where Wilson goes off for 30 and another where Henry goes off for 30.

jsheim

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »
....... I think we win two games this year we are not expecting to win. One where Wilson goes off for 30 and another where Henry goes off for 30.

I like this thinking.

feedback