Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Please, Coach  (Read 14581 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Please, Coach
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
Wojo was not on a national title team as a player at Duke.

He wasn't?  Dang.  Never knew for sure, just knew he was there around when they started the dynasty that Coach K started so figured he must've got one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Norm

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »
He wasn't?  Dang.  Never knew for sure, just knew he was there around when they started the dynasty that Coach K started so figured he must've got one.
Yeah, the 1994-1998 Duke teams only made it past the Sweet 16 once, when they made the Elite 8 his senior year. His freshman year was the year Coach K hurt his back and split coaching duties with Pete Gaudet and the team finished 13-18 and missed the post season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
Actually he wasn't around when they started the dynasty. He was post Laetner and on the team when K took a sabbatical when he had back surgery.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 09:55:14 PM »
Let me think we are all blaming various players for the fact we did not win today. That is, we did not beat a top ten team on our home court. We lost by 8 points. We have tons of Freshman on this team and we lost by 8 points. We have shooters who can not shoot but we lost by 8 points, we have Luke in foul trouble for much of the game and our other big, albeit a great player, is a Freshman and currently does not post up well when Luke is out, but we lost by 8 points. We have a young team that does not have a power forward or for that matter a power guard but we lost by 8 points to a top ten team.

What do you expect for Freshman, miracles? I think it is time we stop degrading this team and individual players and recognize the progress this team has made. A year from now this team will be better, stronger and competitive in every Big East game.

I expect more from each and every player and more so from our upper classmen. Some need to be smarter, some need to grow, some need to realize that this is no longer HS, however, this team has heart, talent and potential. Stay the course and seize the day. We need to support them now more than ever. They need us now so they understand MU does not whine, make excuses or blame others. MU has pride, MU has courage, MU does not quit. We will prevail just give them the chance to learn how to win. You can help them by showing your support. Start shouting your support at the games starting now! 

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 10:43:44 PM »
Just a brutal shooter. And so many of the outside shots are not even close.

39% from the floor doesn't do it for a guy that shoots so much - 2nd on team.

What is the relevance of FG%?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 10:54:54 PM »
Wilson has been a major disappointment since I've been watching him since high school. I would've thought for sure he would be a dominant point guard in the big east by his third year.

Really pissed me off how he was jumping and calling for the ball late in the game. He wasn't more open then other guys and he was 1-9 at the time. Swing the ball and take good threes. He needs to stop trying to be the man.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »
Let me think we are all blaming various players for the fact we did not win today. That is, we did not beat a top ten team on our home court. We lost by 8 points. We have tons of Freshman on this team and we lost by 8 points. We have shooters who can not shoot but we lost by 8 points, we have Luke in foul trouble for much of the game and our other big, albeit a great player, is a Freshman and currently does not post up well when Luke is out, but we lost by 8 points. We have a young team that does not have a power forward or for that matter a power guard but we lost by 8 points to a top ten team.

What do you expect for Freshman, miracles? I think it is time we stop degrading this team and individual players and recognize the progress this team has made. A year from now this team will be better, stronger and competitive in every Big East game.

I expect more from each and every player and more so from our upper classmen. Some need to be smarter, some need to grow, some need to realize that this is no longer HS, however, this team has heart, talent and potential. Stay the course and seize the day. We need to support them now more than ever. They need us now so they understand MU does not whine, make excuses or blame others. MU has pride, MU has courage, MU does not quit. We will prevail just give them the chance to learn how to win. You can help them by showing your support. Start shouting your support at the games starting now! 

Was at the game and cheering on the team.  And this thread wasn't about freshman (which is the problem, it's about a 3rd year sophomore who still plays like a freshman), nor was it meant to degrade him.  It was simply meant to state that when Duane's shots aren't falling, I would personally prefer to see some of his minutes go to Wally and/or JJJ, who play a little more within the team concept.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 11:14:03 PM »
I'm sure your wife is very knowledgable about the game of basketball, so obviously your wife is probably more knowledgable about the game of basketball than Wojo because her girls basketball team was ranked top 25 in the country.  Wojo didn't win a National Title as a college basketball player, wasn't a high school All American, didn't win multiple National Titles as an assistant coach, and didn't play basketball professionally overseas or anything.

Oh wait...

But is Wojo making the proper adjustments, or not?

All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
I think fundamentally he is fine.  I think he is going through a tough mental block with poor shooting, and he is neither very big nor very experienced.  I think his future is still bright.

His jumper is broke as sh*t. Unless they fix it in the offseason he's of little value on either end.

brandx

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 12:16:59 AM »
What is the relevance of FG%?

It's extremely relevant when a guy takes 15 shots and hits two.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 01:26:09 AM »
Duane is another erratic Milwaukee guard. Seems he was never really taught the fundamentals of the game. Has some talent but lacks the ability to make smart decisions consistently.

Shot fired at Ike? I just hope Duane keeps improving & makes strides every year. MU will need Duane, starting Wednesday

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 02:17:16 AM »
It's extremely relevant when a guy takes 15 shots and hits two.

You cited "39% from the floor"... that is what I was asking about. What relevance does that have?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 02:54:57 AM »
His jumper is broke as sh*t. Unless they fix it in the offseason he's of little value on either end.
Yep, he's over-jumping again.  Form is not bad, but hard to control release angle and distance when at the top of a "too-high" jump. 

The opposite of Sandy, who takes too much time to release and releases too low.

Whoever fixed JJJ's shot needs to start working with these guys!
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 07:43:51 AM »

But is Wojo making the proper adjustments, or not?

Trick question, bc Wojo doesn't make adjustments*

*Other than going zone.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2016, 08:15:20 AM »

What does Sacar have to do to get in the game?  Is there such a drop off in his contribution.

It seems similar to Coach K and how Semi was treated, and he left. 

Check out his body language, he might be hard to notice he's #2 but his warm up jacket seem never to come off.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 08:28:04 AM »
I agree with playing Wally more, that's for sure.  We seem to play better whenever he is in the game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2016, 09:50:26 AM »
Sacar is bulking up and biding his time. He knows Henry's gone next year.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 10:06:22 AM »

What does Sacar have to do to get in the game?  Is there such a drop off in his contribution.

It seems similar to Coach K and how Semi was treated, and he left. 

Check out his body language, he might be hard to notice he's #2 but his warm up jacket seem never to come off.

Why do we always think the answer is the guy buried on the bench?  If Sacar wants to leave based on this year, he can.  More power to him.  But I don't think that's the case.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »
Trick question, bc Wojo doesn't make adjustments*

*Other than going zone.

I agree, he sticks with the game plan, must be the Duke way.   UCLA did similar under Wooden.

Me thinks we are getting ready for the BIG East Tournament, and we play well in the city.  At least I can hope that is the plan.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »

He does not have the height to fill Henry's shoes, he's similar to Sandy in height and weight.. With Sam H and Rowsey coming in next year it gets a little more crowded for him. With the way things are going for this team I can't understand why he doesn't get a call from Wojo.

Don't want to lose him, without seeing what he can do.  He had great HS stats.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2016, 10:22:47 AM »

Why do we always think the answer is the guy buried on the bench?  If Sacar wants to leave based on this year, he can.  More power to him.  But I don't think that's the case.

Did I say he was the answer?  I'll like to see what he can do.  Your response is a little over the top to my post.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
Du has had a rough stretch her. Same thing happened last year. He eventually figured it out. He will be fine. I do agree with getting Wally some more minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 11:36:29 AM »

Sacar is 6'4/6'5. But I agree, feel bad he didn't redshirt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
Did I say he was the answer?  I'll like to see what he can do.  Your response is a little over the top to my post.

You are pointing out his body language and comparing what Wojo is doing to him to what Coach K did to Semi.

Since you have no clue what is going on, your post really didn't deserve any serious reply.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »

You are pointing out his body language and comparing what Wojo is doing to him to what Coach K did to Semi.

Since you have no clue what is going on, your post really didn't deserve any serious reply.

The point is you are saying that I'm stating that Sacar is the answer, which is not True.  Save your Mind reading for your friends.

If my posts didn't deserve a serious response, what does that make your response, or are you exempt.