[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Please, Coach  (Read 14577 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Please, Coach
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
I won't pretend to know more about basketball than Coach Wojo, because clearly I don't.  And even moreso, I won't pretend I know more about this team than Wojo.  But please, my eyes, my head, and my heart are all telling me that Walter and JJJ need more time, and Duane needs less time.

It seems like Wojo oftentimes gets an idea of how Traci is playing early on in the game and if it's not well, he'll pick his spots to get Traci in the game, but for the most part has Cheatham and sometimes Duane handle the point guard duties when it isn't good.  I would love to see Wojo handle Duane's minutes in a similar fashion.  Duane's one skillset that he sometimes does well is score the basketball.  He's a slightly above average rebounder for a guard.  Other than that, he's a below average defender, and he's very bad with the basketball and needing to make decisions on offense.  When he's not hitting shots it's pretty clear he's not doing much to help the team.  I would like to see Wojo go to some alternatives when that's happening early on.

For as much youth as we have on this team, we need the 4 guys in their 3rd year of college basketball (4th for Wally) to play like they're in their 3rd year of college basketball.  Up through last year, I didn't think I'd ever see JJJ as an under control guy who just plays within the flow of an offense, and I did think I'd see Duane be our go to guy.  Unfortunately Duane makes just as many "freshman decisions" as the freshman do, and now JJJ seems to have figured it out.  Even when he's not "on," he defends okay, rebounds well, moves the ball well, and plays within the offense.  I have now gotten to the point where I am confident that at a very minimum, JJJ will not hurt the team when he's on the floor (and the same goes for Wally).  With Duane, if he misses a few shots early, I have no confidence that he won't hurt this team at this point.  He's a lot like a Monta Ellis where he can absolutely carry you offensively, but when the shots aren't falling he can also absolutely kill you.

As my buddy texted me, "Give me 4 Walters and a concussed JJJ."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:34:09 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

Re: Please, Coach
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
I won't pretend to know more about basketball than Coach Wojo, because clearly I don't.  And even moreso, I won't pretend I know more about this team than Wojo.  But please, my eyes, my head, and my heart are all telling me that Walter and JJJ need more time, and Duane needs less time.

Just a brutal shooter. And so many of the outside shots are not even close.

39% from the floor doesn't do it for a guy that shoots so much - 2nd on team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
Wally needs to play. He understands the physicality of major college basketball. Hustles. Rebounds. Smart.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »
Am I just not remembering or is Duane's "Dominic James" style jumper (max jumps on his jumper and releases it at the very top of his jump shot) something new?  I don't remember him shooting like that last year, but he certainly does this year.  Looks very unnatural.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 05:00:59 PM »
I think one of the problems is that Duane is one of maybe two guys on this team that could turn a 9-point deficit into a tie game in a minute. He has a short memory, which allows him to suddenly hit three 3's out of nowhere whether he's 1/8 on the night or 7/8.

The other problem is that the only other guy on the team that might be able to do that is Andrew Rowsey.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 05:08:06 PM »
duane has had a terrible terrible two game stretch. lets hope he can pick it up.

i am in agreement wally needs more time as does jjj

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »
I thought Luke was the one we were going to irrationally blame our losses on this year.  It's Duane?

Yes, he chucked up some poor shots and Wojo sat him - the announcers even commented on it.  Wally got a ton of time and JJJ is coming off an injury.  Against the #7 ranked team in the country, the #2 RPI team, and therefore maybe a #1 seed......Duane did NOT cost us the game.  Yes, he needs to find his game and make better decisions but he's not the reason we are not a great team.

Relax.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »
I thought Luke was the one we were going to irrationally blame our losses on this year.  It's Duane?

Yes, he chucked up some poor shots and Wojo sat him - the announcers even commented on it.  Wally got a ton of time and JJJ is coming off an injury.  Against the #7 ranked team in the country, the #2 RPI team, and therefore maybe a #1 seed......Duane did NOT cost us the game.  Yes, he needs to find his game and make better decisions but he's not the reason we are not a great team.

Relax.

Hmm, don't think I even said a single thing about the game today, or any single game.  But I guess you can look at it that way?

Even if I didn't, really?  He went 2-15 shooting, 1-10 from 3, 0-0 from the FT line, 1 rebound, 2 assists, and 3 turnovers.  Uhh...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 05:35:30 PM »

Ironic, because Luke being limited by foul trouble was what really killed us today. Early on, we pounded inside out and built up our lead. Defensively, we were frustrating them. They fought back, Luke picked up 3 fouls, and they battered us with him on the bench. Henry's defense (rather lack thereof) turned James Farr into a superstar.

I'm not blaming Luke. There were inconsistent calls and he was too often I the receiving end. But if he only gets one in the first, we keep it closer and don't have to go to our "see hoop, shoot three" style of offense in the second.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Ironic, because Luke being limited by foul trouble was what really killed us today. Early on, we pounded inside out and built up our lead. Defensively, we were frustrating them. They fought back, Luke picked up 3 fouls, and they battered us with him on the bench. Henry's defense (rather lack thereof) turned James Farr into a superstar.

I'm not blaming Luke. There were inconsistent calls and he was too often I the receiving end. But if he only gets one in the first, we keep it closer and don't have to go to our "see hoop, shoot three" style of offense in the second.

I disagree 1,000%.

A complete lack of shooting by Carter, Wilson, Cohen, and Cheatham is why we lost.  What happens if those 4 guys shoot even a very bad 40% from the floor?

That would be an extra 16 - 20 points today depending on how many threes.

This loss is completely and utterly on these 4 guys.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »

I disagree 1,000%.

A complete lack of shooting by Carter, Wilson, Cohen, and Cheatham is why we lost.  What happens if those 4 guys shoot even a very bad 40% from the floor?

Lots of blame to go around.  We had plenty of chances to win this game.  But a 21-0 run against a top 5 team isn't going to get it done.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »
Wally = Cowbell

And, baby.....I need more cowbell

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
Hmm, don't think I even said a single thing about the game today, or any single game.  But I guess you can look at it that way?

Even if I didn't, really?  He went 2-15 shooting, 1-10 from 3, 0-0 from the FT line, 1 rebound, 2 assists, and 3 turnovers.  Uhh...
you are correct, you didn't discuss the game today.  the timing, the responses, and the need the board has for a villain made me focus on today. 

But whether it is today's game or the season Duane's poor decisions are not going to make the difference between an NCAA bid and not.  I trust that he'll show he will learn from his mistakes under the tutelage of the staff.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »
No kidding and I've said it many times

If carter can't handle the ball. JJJ is a better option than both Duane and Haanif.

He knows when to attack and is a crafty passer.

And as for Wally. He really isn't good, but he's willing to bang and keep fighting for boards and if no one else is gonna make shots anyways. Might as well go wth the guy who will do the little things and can handle the physical play.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 06:22:56 PM »
Don't be afraid. 

My wife coaches our son's 2nd grade team and my wife spends the entire MU game screaming that Wojo doesn't make the right adjustments. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:35:57 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 06:24:03 PM »

I disagree 1,000%.

Yeah...including them going 2/18 from three. Many of which were threes that were taken without establishing the offense because we didn't have a target inside to get the ball to. They started forcing shots up because we didn't have Luke down low to give us an interior option and use the inside game to set up the outside.

Yes, the end result of them missing killed us, but that end result all started with Luke being limited due to foul trouble. It impacted not just how much he played but also how he was able to play.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 06:28:49 PM »
Duane is another erratic Milwaukee guard. Seems he was never really taught the fundamentals of the game. Has some talent but lacks the ability to make smart decisions consistently.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 06:32:28 PM »
Duane is another erratic Milwaukee guard. Seems he was never really taught the fundamentals of the game. Has some talent but lacks the ability to make smart decisions consistently.

I think fundamentally he is fine.  I think he is going through a tough mental block with poor shooting, and he is neither very big nor very experienced.  I think his future is still bright.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 06:33:57 PM »
Don't be afraid. 

My wife coaches our son's 2nd grade team and my wife spends the entire MU game screaming that Wojo doesn't make the right adjustments. 

*my wife's HS team was top 25 in the country if your meathead enough to think she shouldn't coach.

I'm sure your wife is very knowledgable about the game of basketball, so obviously your wife is probably more knowledgable about the game of basketball than Wojo because her girls basketball team was ranked top 25 in the country.  Wojo didn't win a National Title as a college basketball player, wasn't a high school All American, didn't win multiple National Titles as an assistant coach, and didn't play basketball professionally overseas or anything.

Oh wait...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 06:35:50 PM »
I think fundamentally he is fine.  I think he is going through a tough mental block with poor shooting, and he is neither very big nor very experienced.  I think his future is still bright.

I think you're probably right, I'm just slightly worried because I thought he'd be improved from last season but it seems like he's slightly regressed this year.  I do think you're right that most of it is mental.  Maybe he's struggling with a different role in coming off the bench?  Or maybe you're right that he's just not making shots and overthinking?  Not sure what it is, but he does seem to be forcing shots up at times.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Before today he actually had a better FG% than last year.  Lower from 3 though.  IMO he has to stop settling for jump shots and attack the pain more.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »
Duane's shot has been really off this year.  Remember this was the same guy who went off 30 at the holiday tournament last year.  Duane couldn't score 30 now if he played 40 minutes and took every shot.  His shot form and the trajectory of the ball looks off to me.  Last year even on an off night his shot looked good.  Now many have no chance.  Wojo probably can't change his form midseason without risking him even getting worse but it should be something that gets changed in the off season.  One thing Duane can do is stop shooting from 4 feet behind the line.  Duane buddy you need all the help you can get, step into the shot and up to the line.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »

I'll agree with all, but experience aspect.  He's been at MU for three years and has played in over fifty games. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »
I'll agree with all, but experience aspect.  He's been at MU for three years and has played in over fifty games. 

He is a sophomore. Still inexperienced IMO.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 09:15:26 PM »
I'm sure your wife is very knowledgable about the game of basketball, so obviously your wife is probably more knowledgable about the game of basketball than Wojo because her girls basketball team was ranked top 25 in the country.  Wojo didn't win a National Title as a college basketball player, wasn't a high school All American, didn't win multiple National Titles as an assistant coach, and didn't play basketball professionally overseas or anything.

Oh wait...

Wojo was not on a national title team as a player at Duke.