[Today at 10:35:30 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Avenue Commons
[Today at 10:20:33 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Avoid contact with recruits  (Read 14670 times)

PBRme

• All American
Re: Avoid contact with recruits
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 11:15:21 AM »
YES, And they would be wrong
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »
YES, And they would be wrong

Logic fail.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
Contacting kids via twitter (or any medium) is demeaning to the kid, but to your university, and yourself.  I can recall Illinois sycophants showering Kendrick Nunn with crap during his recruitment last year.  Again, small.  I had to wonder the ages of these people, their lot in life, did they have a life?  Apparently not.  Basketball, your alma mater, whatever, is never important enough to suck up to an adolescent child to get them to come to your school.

Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Kendrick Nunn enroll at Illinois?  Must have worked pretty well if you ask me

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Kendrick Nunn enroll at Illinois?  Must have worked pretty well if you ask me

So you're suggesting Nunn  chose Illinois because some strangers on Twitter encouraged him to do that?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
So you're suggesting Nunn  chose Illinois because some strangers on Twitter encouraged him to do that?

I thought Nunn chose Illinois because he realized they were suddenly better
than us
, even though we handily beat the team Illinois lost to in the sweet
16.  Also, the new Big East has been bad for recruiting so far.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
Young Spartans Exercising, Edgar Degas

Degas is fantastic. I was just at the Musee d'Orsay a couple weeks ago. I could have spent all day with his stuff. Monet is overrated.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »
What's Crean doing with his hands?

His face should tell you the answer
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:46:18 AM by Bleuteaux »

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
Horrible, almost as bad as a UWM booster tweeting five times at a current Marquette student to try to convince him to transfer.

+1

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »

Probably didn't hurt.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
Probably didn't hurt.

To use my new fave Buzzism, if Nunn based his decision on twitter,
than Nunn DEFINITELY isn't OKG.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:02 PM »
Probably didn't hurt.

You could say the same thing about every recruit for every school's fan-tweet after the recruit has already committed to said school.

IOW, use caution in using the example of Nunn to justify tweeting at recruits as "not hurting" the cause... more than likely it's poor foresight as the instances of fan-tweets being a potential negative greatly outnumber the instances where it wouldn't be, especially if the parents are involved.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »
Probably didn't hurt.
Of course it didnt.  Who wouldnt love people fawning over you.  Everyone loves attention.  Fan support is a big reason why someone would chose a school, and for todays teenagers twitter is one of many mechanisms that teenagers will use to gauge fan support and interest.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
I thought Nunn chose Illinois because he realized they were suddenly better
than us
, even though we handily beat the team Illinois lost to in the sweet
16.  Also, the new Big East has been bad for recruiting so far.

Nunn was the top SG on Illinois' list. We recruited him hard, but JJJ was a higher priority. Once that became clear we were out of the picture. Worked out well for everyone.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2013, 02:19:37 PM »
Nunn was the top SG on Illinois' list. We recruited him hard, but JJJ was a higher priority. Once that became clear we were out of the picture. Worked out well for everyone.

Except that's not really true. Nunn committed to Illinois on September 15, 2012. Almost exactly 7 weeks later, Jajuan Johnson committed to Marquette on November 2, 2012. When Johnson committed, Paint Touches put out this article. It talks about how 7 weeks earlier, Johnson was ready to commit to Alabama, but Isaac Chew flew down to Memphis and asked for 10 minutes of JJJ's time that ultimately would lead to him committing to Marquette. Based on that timeline, Marquette likely reached out to Johnson within a couple days of Nunn's commitment, and possibly did so when they realized they wouldn't land Nunn.

I'm overjoyed we got JJJ, I think he will be a stud here and feel he has more upside than Kendrick Nunn. But Nunn didn't go to Illinois because JJJ was a higher priority. In all honesty, when we were recruiting Nunn and up until his commitment to UI, JJJ was barely on our radar.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
Irregardless of whether it is a violation, I do not see why anyone on this board would think they could possibly say or tweet anything to a recruit that would help Buzz get a commitment from a kid. It is much more likely that you could say or tweet something that hurts Buzz's chances. Just do not do it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:43:14 PM by bilsu »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2013, 06:09:18 PM »
Irregardless of whether it is a violation, I do not see why anyone on this board would think they could possibly say or tweet anything to a recruit that would help Buzz get a commitment from a kid. It is much more likely that you could say or tweet something that hurts Buzz's chances. Just do not do it.

PET PEEVE.  NOT A WORD!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
PET PEEVE.  NOT A WORD!

Is so!  Just a poor and pointless one.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
Usage Discussion of IRREGARDLESS

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2013, 07:02:32 PM »
PET PEEVE.  NOT A WORD!
Depends on what is is.

It is listed as a nonstandard word by Oxford and others.  Thus, noting that the word is not proper, but does exist as jargon or a colloquialism.  So it depends on whether you view a word in the dictionary to be a word and furthermore if a nonstandard word in the dictionary cuts it for you. Some say yes, some say no.

Irregardless of what anyone thinks.....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:17 PM »
Degas is fantastic. I was just at the Musee d'Orsay a couple weeks ago. I could have spent all day with his stuff. Monet is overrated.

I love Degas. Barnes' mention of Spartans made me think of that particular piece. I am fascinated by his depiction of movement, especially in his works of dancers. His exquisite detail countered with an inability to actually finish a piece is intriguing. I am not sure I would say Monet is overrated but he does get more attention. Monet is actually a much better representative of Impressionism than Degas, as Degas himself would likely tell us.

Of Monet, I am particularly drawn to his depictions of Fin de Siecle London. Charing Cross and the Houses of Parliament series have a haunting, elegiac quality that moves me. I am humbled by the genius of both these men.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
Agree.  And it's still creepy, though in a different way when a 20 year old jersey-chaser is tweeting next year's potential hook-ups.

But also creepy is kissing your teenage son on the lips.

I think in my lifetime my dad kissed me on the lips once, in a weird sort of awkward way.  It happens....you go in for the hug and the side cheek kiss and one head goes the wrong way...smacko.   As Ferris Bueller movie states, so that's how it is in their family.    I guess I've seen way too many dads in my lifetime not even willing to give their kid a hug, so I don't get worked up over that picture at all.   RIP, dad. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
Except that's not really true. Nunn committed to Illinois on September 15, 2012. Almost exactly 7 weeks later, Jajuan Johnson committed to Marquette on November 2, 2012. When Johnson committed, Paint Touches put out this article. It talks about how 7 weeks earlier, Johnson was ready to commit to Alabama, but Isaac Chew flew down to Memphis and asked for 10 minutes of JJJ's time that ultimately would lead to him committing to Marquette. Based on that timeline, Marquette likely reached out to Johnson within a couple days of Nunn's commitment, and possibly did so when they realized they wouldn't land Nunn.

I'm overjoyed we got JJJ, I think he will be a stud here and feel he has more upside than Kendrick Nunn. But Nunn didn't go to Illinois because JJJ was a higher priority. In all honesty, when we were recruiting Nunn and up until his commitment to UI, JJJ was barely on our radar.

If that's the timeline I stand corrected. I had seen Nunn play several times and was not overwhelmed. During his movement from a strong MU lean to a UI lean/commit we were mentioned as one of the leaders for the much higher rated (with a bullet) JJJ. I assumed (especially when we got JaJuan) that we had backed off Nunn a bit hoping for a JJJ commit. Maybe it was more good luck than perfect execution of a plan.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
I think in my lifetime my dad kissed me on the lips once, in a weird sort of awkward way.  It happens....you go in for the hug and the side cheek kiss and one head goes the wrong way...smacko.   As Ferris Bueller movie states, so that's how it is in their family.    I guess I've seen way too many dads in my lifetime not even willing to give their kid a hug, so I don't get worked up over that picture at all.   RIP, dad. 

While the picture is exceedingly creepy (simultaneous handshake/mouth kiss) I generally agree with you. Nothing wrong with a Father showing affection to his children - quite the contrary.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:36:17 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
I loathe Crean with a white hot passion, but this doesn't bother me. Not my cup of tea, but knock yourself out. ( I doubt this happens in the Crean home...only at Assembly Hall...but that's another story).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
double post
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:42:39 PM by keefe »

Death on call