[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's be honest  (Read 14628 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Let's be honest
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:31 AM »
Does everybody understand that only the 200 or so die-hard, message board MU fans care about this or have ever heard of DJ Newbill? I hope Buzz does.

Go get 'em Buzzard!! PRN's got your sweaty back on this one!!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Let's be honest
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »
Does everybody understand that only the 200 or so die-hard, message board MU fans care about this or have ever heard of DJ Newbill? I hope Buzz does.

But it was on oversigning.com! EVERYONE knows about it now!

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:43:36 AM »
But it was on oversigning.com! EVERYONE knows about it now!

No, but maybe we shouldn't chastise Badger or Indiana fans about their recruits. I just find our board is hypocritical when talking about the rodents. Don't talk crap about other teams and just worry about our recruits.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »

You might want to go visit some other ones, there are a number of message boards that are calling us out on this from fans at other schools. 

But I think that misses the bigger point....it's ok just because only diehard basketball fans know about it?  That makes it ok?

I think I may have attended a different Marquette University than many of you did.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »
You might want to go visit some other ones, there are a number of message boards that are calling us out on this from fans at other schools. 

But I think that misses the bigger point....it's ok just because only diehard basketball fans know about it?  That makes it ok?

I think I may have attended a different Marquette University than many of you did.

What other boards are talking about it? I want to check them out

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:33:47 AM »

NMU?

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »

The amount of people that know or care about this has no bearing on whether Buzz and MU acted properly, improperly, or somewhere in between.

If a bum gets beat up in Milwaukee does it become less wrong because nobody knows or cares about him?

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »
The title of this post is perfect but incomplete.  It should have read "Let's be Honest, Buzz is a Chicken$hit."

After personally recruiting Newbill, he sent one his lackies to pull his scholarship.  http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/high_school/20100701_Newbill_cut_loose_by_Marquette.html

No matter your personal opinion as to the realities of D1 recruiting, Buzz's handling of this matter lacked basic human respect and was contrary to MU's  mission statement: http://www.marquette.edu/umi/exploring/mission.shtml

"As a Catholic, Jesuit university, Marquette recognizes and cherishes the dignity of each individual regardless of age, culture, faith, ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, language, disability or social class. Precisely because Catholicism at its best seeks to be inclusive, we are open to all who share our mission and seek the truth about God and the world. Through our admissions and employment policies and practices, our curricular and co-curricular offerings, and our welcoming and caring campus environment, Marquette seeks to become a more diverse and inclusive academic community dedicated to the promotion of justice."

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:43:11 AM by 3Mer »

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
What really amazes me is this: people here, other boards, student fan bases etc. sit in judgment of what we all know so little about.  We are in the jury room convicting someone without knowing the full story.  That just simply amazes me.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
The title of this post is perfect but incomplete.  It should have read "Let's be Honest, Buzz is a Chicken$hit."

After personally recruiting Newbill, he sent one his lackies to pull his scholarship.  http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/high_school/20100701_Newbill_cut_loose_by_Marquette.html

No matter your personal opinion as to the realities of D1 recruiting, Buzz's handling of this matter lacked basic human respect and was contrary to MU's  mission statement: http://www.marquette.edu/umi/exploring/mission.shtml

"As a Catholic, Jesuit university, Marquette recognizes and cherishes the dignity of each individual regardless of age, culture, faith, ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, language, disability or social class. Precisely because Catholicism at its best seeks to be inclusive, we are open to all who share our mission and seek the truth about God and the world. Through our admissions and employment policies and practices, our curricular and co-curricular offerings, and our welcoming and caring campus environment, Marquette seeks to become a more diverse and inclusive academic community dedicated to the promotion of justice."

Seriously?

I agree this was at best handled poorly by Buzz and staff but I don't think we should shoot this through the holier than thou jesuit values prism just yet.  We don't have all of the facts yet, and we may never have them.  I think we're probably pushing the grey area here but I don't think it's time to "excommunicate" Buzz or Scott just yet.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »
What other boards are talking about it? I want to check them out

Just a quick run through...I get a google alert it seems 3 times a day.  I'm on the iPhone right now so I'll cut and paste just a few because it's hard to post on the iPhone, but there are probably about 20 to 30 other school message boards in all that I've received alerts for

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509&t=6088892

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2871&t=6087808

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=430&f=2585&t=6090017

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/31845/t/Jamil-Wilson-to-transfer.html

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=6084317&p=1

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
Holier than thou, my a$$.

I paid enough tuition to the Jesuits to know the basic difference between right and wrong.

And I'm not willing to put my interest in a competitive basketball team ahead of my interest in an ethical alma mater.

I'm embarassed, the school should be embarasseed and any self-respecting alum should be embarassed.  The rest can wait for "all of the facts to come out," whenever that is, to judge Buzz for sending a lackey to pull this kid's scholarship under false pretenses.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:02:08 AM by 3Mer »

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
Just a quick run through...I get a google alert it seems 3 times a day.  I'm on the iPhone right now so I'll cut and paste just a few because it's hard to post on the iPhone, but there are probably about 20 to 30 other school message boards in all that I've received alerts for

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=2509&t=6088892

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2871&t=6087808

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=430&f=2585&t=6090017

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/31845/t/Jamil-Wilson-to-transfer.html

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=6084317&p=1

So.... 8 people on the WVU message board, 4 on the UConn board, one on the Depaul board, and two Badger boards.  What a global outcy!

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 10:06:02 AM »
Holier than thou, my a$$.

I paid enough tution to the Jesuits to know the basic difference between right and wrong.

And I'm not willing to put my interest in a competitive basketball team ahead of my interest in an ethical alma mater.

I'm embarassed, the school should be embarasseed and any self-respecting alum should be embarassed.  The rest can wait for "all of the facts to come out," whenever that is, to judge Buzz for sending a lackey to pull this kid's scholarship under false pretenses.

Really?  

Fortunately, you get to spout your opinion.  Buzz and the staff do not have the same opportunity.

You are disparaging Marquette having very few facts.  Surely you learned that was wrong in one, or hopefully, many of your classes at MU.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
Really?  

Fortunately, you get to spout your opinion.  Buzz and the staff do not have the same opportunity.

You are disparaging Marquette having very few facts.  Surely you learned that was wrong in one, or hopefully, many of your classes at MU.
A.  Very few facts have come out, but the ones that have have looked horrible for Marquette.
B.  Buzz and his staff have every opportunity in the world to spout their own opinion and to give us their side of the story.  The fact that they haven't can only lead one to believe the worse scenartio instead of the better one.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »
You are disparaging Marquette having very few facts. 

Unfortunately, the opposite is true as well, as in, defending MU with very few facts.

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
And just what would Buzz say, if given the opportunity, that would justify his actions in your mind?  How about a few hypotheticals?

"I didn't call DJ myself because I was too busy praying for him at mass."

or

"I instructed my lackey to use false pretenses on advice of counsel."

or

"Fr. Wilde made me do it."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:14:29 AM by 3Mer »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »

Agree 100%. A year and a half from now, when Marquette is playing Vandy, and Jamil Wilson grabs a rebound, 75% of the crowd at the game won't be thinking to themselves "that could have been DJ Newbill".

Who cares what other people on UConn's board or West Virginia's board think anyway? If they want to discuss MU hoops, go for it, maybe talk about matching up with Wilson, Blue, Jones, etc.

And please, to those other programs, if you had a commit from a DJ Newbill type (not enrolled, no application turned into the university), and a Harrison Barnes type says "I want to go to your school", I'm 99.9% sure you're finding a way to get him in there. I'm not comparing Wilson to Barnes, but don't give me this "we're holier than you" crap. Stuff like this happens all the time, again, perfectly within the rules.

If a future recruit wants to come to Marquette, he'll come to Marquette. Does anyone really think Tokoto cares that DJ Newbill isn't going to be at Marquette?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »
And please, to those other programs, if you had a commit from a DJ Newbill type (not enrolled, no application turned into the university), and a Harrison Barnes type says "I want to go to your school", I'm 99.9% sure you're finding a way to get him in there. I'm not comparing Wilson to Barnes, but don't give me this "we're holier than you" crap. Stuff like this happens all the time, again, perfectly within the rules.

I've seen other people say this, and I've asked about it.  I'm honestly trying to find out whether "stuff like this happens all the time."  And by "stuff like this" I'm talking about a player is recruited, is offered a scholarship, signs a NLI and then never makes it to the start of his freshman year.  This has happened twice in two years at Marquette.  It happened once (that I recall) in nine years under Crean.  Is this really a common occurrence?  Because I haven't seen it a lot and nobody has provided many other examples.  Again, I'm not saying it's not common -- I really don't know.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »
Buzz is trying to make us compete with the Big Boys.  We are a school in Milwaukee Wisc (not on everybodies must visit list), and he is doing a admirable job in his 2nd year as a High Major head coach.  He has graduated all his player's and the team represents the school well on and off the court.  Has he done everything right, probably not.  But at the end of the day he is working hard and I'm sure he is learning some things as he goes.  He has not had a roster that is above 9 between people leaving and injured so he might be over compensating a bit.  I'm not saying I think this was handled well, and I do feel bad for DJ, but at the end of the day I think it will all work out for him.  I'm not sure it was in his best interest to go to to a team where he was not going to see any minutes.  He was going to be the 4th guard in the 2010 class.  

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »
So.... 8 people on the WVU message board, 4 on the UConn board, one on the Depaul board, and two Badger boards.  What a global outcy!

You would think UConn fans might bite their tongue on this one

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »

WVU with Huggins as coach is the pot calling the kettle black as well.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »
I feel so much better about the poor judgment/actions of our coach since you've pointed out that only 14 people outside Wisconsin know about it!  Doing something wrong only matters when 50+ people know about it of course.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »

UConn fans are wondering why we didn't just get Newbill a good paying job at the local scrap yard for a year.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 11:08:29 AM »
What really amazes me is this: people here, other boards, student fan bases etc. sit in judgment of what we all know so little about.  We are in the jury room convicting someone without knowing the full story.  That just simply amazes me.
We do know some things.  We know that DJ signed a NLI.  We know that that action implies that a spot is available for him on the MU basketball team.  We know that he's no longer welcome to exercise that NLI and become a member of the MU basketball team.  That's enough for me to know that I am at the very least disappointed by the situation.

It amazes me that people can look at the above and think nothing of it.  It amazes me that they can justify it in the name of better basketball or that Buzz is just trying to keep his job.  It amazes me that the defenders are willing to crucify the kid and call him names because he allegedly didn't write an essay or because he didn't follow up with Buzz enough or he should have known better, etc.