[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Just saw DaShonte Riley  (Read 14552 times)

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: Just saw DaShonte Riley
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »
Based on the scheme Buzz seems to prefer, I think a guy like Williams can play the 2.  At 6'6" it would be an obvious change for MU, but certainly not out of the question.  

Buzz has talked about having interchangeable parts between the 2,3,4 positions, and while I recognize that is easier said than done, I do believe (from what I've read) that a guy like Williams could play the 2.

I think next year also represents a major rebuilding year.  Looking ahead a little further, I would agree that we need to add another guard to the 2010 class, but  with this over-recruit I have no problem with a skilled big.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
Hey Brad.  Where's the video???

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »
Jimmy can also play at the 2 next year.  W/ Buycks able to play point as well, as he has in JUCO this year, we will still have depth at the guard positions.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2009, 04:35:41 PM »
Let me fix that for you:
PG - Mo, Junior
SG - Buycks, Cubillian

You would be confident going forward with that?

I'm not sure another freshman guard would alter my level of confidence all that much (p.s. Where's Jimmy Butler? He'll spend a lot of time at the two next year if/when Buzz drops the three-guard offense).
MU definitely needs another guard in the class of 2010, but if a scholie opens up for 2009, I like my chances with a top 50 big man rather than settling for a much less promising player simply because he's a guard.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »
in all the questions about " guard"-" big man" aren't we forgetting one thing?  Injury--remember when TD got insured and the Tan One said he would never be short  of guards again.  DJ's injury brings this to the fore.W/O getting into this again, sure all agree that TT would be looking real good now. 

We NEED another guard  not a big man

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »
in all the questions about " guard"-" big man" aren't we forgetting one thing?  Injury--remember when TD got insured and the Tan One said he would never be short  of guards again.  DJ's injury brings this to the fore.W/O getting into this again, sure all agree that TT would be looking real good now. 

We NEED another guard  not a big man

When TD was injured, Marquette had ZERO other point guards on the roster. MU will have two pure points on the roster next year - Mo and Cadougan - and, in a pinch, a combo guard available in Buycks. In an unimaginable scenario of all three of those guys going down, even Cubie is a better option than what MU had when Deiner got hurt.
the situations just aren't comparable and you can't load a roster with four point guards to protect against injury.

Next year's roster, as of now, will include five guys who can play in the backcourt (Mo, Cubie, Cadougan, Buycks and Butler), five wings (Lazar, Maymon, Williams, Fulce, Butler) and four guys in the post (Otule, McMorrow, Roseboro, Hazel).
Seems pretty balanced to me.
I suspect if MU is still going hard after Riley, they know they're going to have an additional scholarship to give next year, they know who's leaving and they know at which position they need to bulk up.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »
Riley isn't the only one they are going hard after.

They are definitely trying to add another guard as well.

Time will tell how it all plays out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
I suspect they are still going after Riley, otherwise he would not have attended such a big game as last night.  If not, why even bother.  The staff knows whose leaving. 

Real question are they holding this mystery slot open until March 8, when Wilson makes up his mind?

Brad Galli

• Scholarship Player
  • BradGalli.com
    • BradGalli.com
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »
Hey Brad.  Where's the video???

We are in the middle of adding Buzz's presser AND the DaShonte interview to our site. The formatting takes a bit, and we're waiting for the technical stuff to finish up.

We're on it.
Would be nowhere without the support of the Marquette community. Can't beat the MU family.

Rooting for Lazar, Jimmy, Steve, Wes and Dwyane always. Go Buzz.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
Great. Post it on a new thread with link for all.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »
When is next signing period? 

I'm certainly intrigued by how Riley and the other possible recruits all play out.