[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2024 Season  (Read 4016 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: MLB 2024 Season
« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2024, 08:35:55 PM »
Great f'ng officiating product you got there, MLB. If we're going to do crap like this let's actually throw at the the umps

Tossing Freddy tonight will be justified as we deemed it retaliatory for Hoskins being hit
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2024, 08:39:12 PM »
Think Pat should call for a gambling investigation into this crew

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2024, 09:12:25 PM »
Slap fight!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2024, 04:57:47 PM »
I'm gonna overlook opponents and say 10 wins in a row is impressive

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2024, 08:31:00 AM »
From Yahoo Sports:

Cubs lefty Shōta Imanaga continued the historic start to his rookie season on Wednesday, pitching seven scoreless innings in a 1-0 victory over the Mets.

‌His numbers so far:

5-0
34.2 IP
35 K
0.78 ERA
0.75 WHIP

Imanaga's 0.78 ERA is the lowest through a pitcher's first six MLB starts since Fernando Valenzuela (0.33) in 1981. Valenzuela was just 20 years old while Imanaga is 30 with seven pro seasons in Japan under his belt, but if he keeps this up... Chicago may soon get its own taste of "Shōtamania."

‌Quote of the day: Imanaga was asked what it was like pitching in New York for the first time. "The view from the hotel, I recognize it from Spider-Man," he said via his interpreter. "So I was like, 'Oh, this is where Spider-Man was.'" Amazing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2024, 09:49:39 AM »
From Yahoo Sports:

Cubs lefty Shōta Imanaga continued the historic start to his rookie season on Wednesday, pitching seven scoreless innings in a 1-0 victory over the Mets.

‌His numbers so far:

5-0
34.2 IP
35 K
0.78 ERA
0.75 WHIP

Imanaga's 0.78 ERA is the lowest through a pitcher's first six MLB starts since Fernando Valenzuela (0.33) in 1981. Valenzuela was just 20 years old while Imanaga is 30 with seven pro seasons in Japan under his belt, but if he keeps this up... Chicago may soon get its own taste of "Shōtamania."

‌Quote of the day: Imanaga was asked what it was like pitching in New York for the first time. "The view from the hotel, I recognize it from Spider-Man," he said via his interpreter. "So I was like, 'Oh, this is where Spider-Man was.'" Amazing.

Insane value grab by the Cubs so far for the production of star NPB pitcher signings.  Only paying $13MM a year for Shoto where the Dodgers are paying $27MM a year for Yamamoto.  Yamamoto is gonna end up being very good but he's been a bit boom or bust in his starts, Shoto meanwhile has an insane 4 hits over 5 starts.

Also, as I mentioned when Yamamoto signed, both guys are well below average for SP height.  Average last I saw was like 6'3, and there are less than 15 starters that are 5'10 or under, which Shoto and Moto both are, and both have a signature fastball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2024, 11:40:36 AM »
Muggsy would like 'em even more if they were 4'10 or under!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #157 on: Today at 09:01:18 AM »
Big question: Was Carl Pohlad right and major league baseball needs to contract?

I look at teams like the White Sox, Marlins, Rockies, Athletics, Pirates and even my beloved Cardinals. There isn't enough major league talent to staff 30 teams. When you get down to the lower end of any division in baseball, not only is there no talent, or very little talent, there's NO HOPE!

Miami should be, on paper, one of the best baseball towns in America. Its demographic, major market size and stadium quality (even the food is good) suggests this is a true major league city. But a succession of bad owners and GMs has wrecked the franchise and left the Marlins as a mediocre AA team. The Pirates have played better as of late but does anyone in Pittsburgh think a World Series will be coming in their lifetime?

Yeah, some if it is money. Stars go where the money is. But the baseball product is so watered down today, true stars have a huge market because there's just a limited number of high-level major league superstars --far fewer than are needed for a 30+ team league. And, the idiot commissioner is thinking expansion again??????

Pohlad probably was right. Baseball needs to think about contraction. Probably about four to six teams need to go. I'd probably argue the As and Kansas City for starters. Any thoughts Scoopers?

« Last Edit: Today at 09:03:28 AM by dgies9156 »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #158 on: Today at 09:03:45 AM »
Big question: Was Carl Pohlad right and major league baseball needs to contract?

I look at teams like the White Sox, Marlins, Rockies, Athletics, Pirates and even my beloved Cardinals. There isn't enough major league talent to staff 30 teams. When you get down to the lower end of any division in baseball, not only is there no talent, or very little talent, there's NO HOPE!

Miami should be, on paper, one of the best baseball towns in America. Its demographic, major market size and stadium quality (even the food is good) suggests this is a true major league city. But a succession of bad owners and GMs has wrecked the franchise and left the Marlins as a mediocre AA team. The Pirates have played better as of late but does anyone in Pittsburgh think a World Series will becoming in their lifetime?

Yeah, some if it is money. Stars go where the money is. But the baseball product is so watered down today, true stars have a huge market because there's just a limited number of high-level major league superstars --far fewer than are needed for a 30+ team league. And, the idiot commissioner is thinking expansion again??????

Pohlad probably was right. Baseball needs to think about contraction. Probably about four to six teams need to go. I'd probably argue the As and Kansas City for starters. Any thoughts Scoopers?

I agree (And not just baseball).

However, not happening

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #159 on: Today at 10:49:57 AM »

Miami should be, on paper, one of the best baseball towns in America. Its demographic, major market size and stadium quality (even the food is good) suggests this is a true major league city. But a succession of bad owners and GMs has wrecked the franchise and left the Marlins as a mediocre AA team. The Pirates have played better as of late but does anyone in Pittsburgh think a World Series will be coming in their lifetime?

The Royals are a decade removed from a World Series win.  24 teams isn't enough.  What baseball needs is a salary cap and a salary floor.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #160 on: Today at 10:53:37 AM »
Yes.    The Cardinals are in a uncharacteristic hole.    Some prospects didn't pan out.   Maybe they should try the portal.      The A's are not even trying.    They are an embarrassment to all owners everywhere.      The White Sox have been competitive recently, they just got dumber.    Florida, for whatever reason, does not support MLB.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #161 on: Today at 11:09:59 AM »
Yes.    The Cardinals are in a uncharacteristic hole.    Some prospects didn't pan out.   Maybe they should try the portal.      The A's are not even trying.    They are an embarrassment to all owners everywhere.      The White Sox have been competitive recently, they just got dumber.    Florida, for whatever reason, does not support MLB.   
I agree with this, and yet the A's are only 2 games under .500 and in third place. It lends credibility to the position that the White Sox are purposefully tanking (for no reason I can explain) or JR is not fit for owning a team (not just in a fan's perspective of "our owner sucks", but actual diminished cognitive capabilities).

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #162 on: Today at 11:15:13 AM »
Contraction isn’t the answer for baseball or any other sport. There is plenty of talent around.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #163 on: Today at 11:43:21 AM »
Bally Sports and Xfinity aren't the answer right now, either.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #164 on: Today at 12:46:26 PM »
Contraction isn’t the answer for baseball or any other sport. There is plenty of talent around.

Brother Hippie:

I agree there is plenty of "talent" around, but not enough MAJOR LEAGUE talent. That's where I think the problem is. The pitching is just atrocious

Part of the problem is money, I agree. To retain talent, whether out of high school or college, takes huge bonuses and lots of development costs. Then, once they become arbitration eligible, you're screwed financially because arbitrators have been conditioned to look at home runs and batting average. And, to the romantic notion that somehow baseball will get a salary cap -- not going to happen in my or your lifetime!

Basically, you have to sell about 2.5 million tickets to be competitive and 3.5 million to consistently contend. Even then, the Cardinals are proving this year that with bad management and poor player development, a team can S-U-C-K, suck!

My nominees for contraction are Oakland, Kansas City (also having a stadium battle), Tampa Bay (stadium). At this point, it gets tough. I'd argue for Pittsburgh on grounds that even with the best stadium in the majors, it can't support a winner. From there, it's a crap shoot, but I'd surely keep Miami, Denver, Phoenix, all of which should be able with good ownership to be winnders.

Maybe we need to fire and replace owners!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #165 on: Today at 01:04:52 PM »

Right now, there are a dozen teams as bad or worse than the A’s.

If the Cards don’t want to compete anymore, I’d get rid of them 1st.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #166 on: Today at 01:10:32 PM »
I should have said the A's ownership is embarrassing.   The players continue to meet or exceed expectations.   Use their moronic owners as focus and motivation.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:26:05 PM by tower912 »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #167 on: Today at 01:17:19 PM »
The Royals are a decade removed from a World Series win.  24 teams isn't enough.  What baseball needs is a salary cap and a salary floor.

Especially when almost all of the losing teams get millions and millions in revenue sharing.

But some owners don’t care if they win. They just want to keep their money tree healthy.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #168 on: Today at 01:26:41 PM »
Right now, there are a dozen teams as bad or worse than the A’s.

If the Cards don’t want to compete anymore, I’d get rid of them 1st.

To be fair, a good chunk of the fan base is poor from legal defenses and buying autographed bibles