collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384436 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #3375 on: August 09, 2021, 11:16:14 PM »
Yet depending on the definition of "hesitant", Hispanics are the largest group of "non-accepters" which is interesting

WASHINGTON (AP) — Many Latinos are forgoing COVID-19 shots because of concerns about losing work hours, getting a bill, and for some, immigration worries. That’s according to a new poll that offers insights into how to raise vaccination rates among the nation’s largest ethnic minority.
The Kaiser Family Foundation Vaccine Monitor poll released Thursday found that many Hispanics who remain unvaccinated actually want a shot. In fact, they reported far less vaccine hesitancy than their white or Black counterparts.
One in 3 unvaccinated Latino adults said they want to get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as possible —twice the share among unvaccinated white adults (16%) or Blacks (17%).
Conversely, just 17% of unvaccinated Hispanics said they would definitely not get a shot, compared with 34% of whites and 26% of unvaccinated Black adults.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-race-and-ethnicity-immigration-health-government-and-politics-869850c0690e7247579800a862890eb4

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3376 on: August 09, 2021, 11:45:36 PM »
Yet depending on the definition of "hesitant", Hispanics are the largest group of "non-accepters" which is interesting

Not surprised by this. Many hispanics are fearful of medical settings in general. Pakuni mentions some of the reasons. But I learned of this from one of my students who is a "Dreamer," their family and extended family are fearful of medical settings. I won't go into all the reasons why, but I'll say it was eye opening to hear a different perspective on something so simple as going to the doctor that I and many on here take for granted.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3377 on: August 10, 2021, 06:13:24 AM »
This is a very good point, and one I did not fully realize/internalize. For many poor Americans, simply getting to a health care facility to get the vaccine is a challenge (poor public transportation/cost). In many of these settings access to information through the internet is also absent, as these homes do not have internet access.

So even finding a location to get a vaccine can be a challenge, and being informed of the safety of the vaccine is even more of a challenge.

It is not surprising that these communities have low vaccination rates. What is sad, is how little most care about this, as most Americans have zero idea about what living in actual poverty looks like.

You can get the shot at most national chain drug stores and even a few grocery stores.  At this point, the amount of people that don't have access to the vaccine is very small.  Additionally, we've been providing free rides to vaccine sites (Dane county) since they've been available.  IMHO, anyone who doesn't have a shot and wants one currently is just being a tad lazy about it.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #3378 on: August 10, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »
There are many inner city areas that don’t have national chain drug stores and grocery stores nearby.
There are probably also rural areas where people drive great distances to those locations as well.
We still get posts in the Vaccine Hunters group from suburbanites asking where they can go for  a walk-in, or to get a specific vaccine.
Frankly I am kind of puzzled by that myself, but I’m just relating how it is. For some reason people seem really helpless, and I am not sure why.
And not to get off-track a little, but I’ve also been occasionally following a FB group of people trying to obtain passports for upcoming travel- I am gobsmacked by how people are routinely advised to contact their state representatives when they mean US House or Senate- one woman recently asked which county her US Senator represented - all I can think of at times is that these people are voting 😱

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3379 on: August 10, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »
If only there were a place where anyone could look for information.

Alas, it doesn’t exist.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3380 on: August 10, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
Summerfest requiring proof of vaccination or negative Covid test to get in.

https://www.summerfest.com/covid-19-entry-protocols/
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3381 on: August 10, 2021, 09:39:47 AM »
Pretty stupid for an outdoor activity. Who makes these decisions? The same idiots who enjoy shoving a glass rod up their johnson and then slamming it with a sledgehammer, hey?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:46:11 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3382 on: August 10, 2021, 09:43:38 AM »
There are many inner city areas that don’t have national chain drug stores and grocery stores nearby.
There are probably also rural areas where people drive great distances to those locations as well.
We still get posts in the Vaccine Hunters group from suburbanites asking where they can go for  a walk-in, or to get a specific vaccine.
Frankly I am kind of puzzled by that myself, but I’m just relating how it is. For some reason people seem really helpless, and I am not sure why.
And not to get off-track a little, but I’ve also been occasionally following a FB group of people trying to obtain passports for upcoming travel- I am gobsmacked by how people are routinely advised to contact their state representatives when they mean US House or Senate- one woman recently asked which county her US Senator represented - all I can think of at times is that these people are voting 😱

Like where?  Just googling walgreens in Chicago, and the city is dotted with them.  Then add the CVS and there seems to be broad coverage.  Also, these are likely not the only places to get vaccines, just ones that are easy to access.

I have serious doubts that lack of vaccination is due to lack of access.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3383 on: August 10, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »
Pretty stupid of an outdoor activity. Who makes these decisions, hey?

Lollapalooza did it, and still something like 500 cases could be traced to the festival.  Even while outside.

Guess the unvaccinated will have to stay home while the rest of us get to continue going about our daily lives enjoying normality (such as it is).  As it should be.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3384 on: August 10, 2021, 10:05:33 AM »
Pretty stupid for an outdoor activity. Who makes these decisions? The same idiots who enjoy shoving a glass rod up their johnson and then slamming it with a sledgehammer, hey?

I suppose they could just close the bathrooms, food, and beer vendors to make sure that everyone stays outside.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3385 on: August 10, 2021, 10:44:37 AM »

Summerfest is doing this to encourage people to get vaccinated.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3386 on: August 10, 2021, 10:56:31 AM »

Summerfest is doing this to encourage people to get vaccinated.

Well, that and to stop the unnecessary spread of a deadly virus that will continue to gain more aggressive mutations the more it circulates.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3387 on: August 10, 2021, 10:57:24 AM »
Well, that and to stop the unnecessary spread of a deadly virus that will continue to gain more aggressive mutations the more it circulates.

Right.  I should have said "also doing this..."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3388 on: August 10, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »
Like where?  Just googling walgreens in Chicago, and the city is dotted with them.  Then add the CVS and there seems to be broad coverage.  Also, these are likely not the only places to get vaccines, just ones that are easy to access.

I have serious doubts that lack of vaccination is due to lack of access.

Agreed.   Ive mentioned here that I have a good friend who has extended family in Englewood.  Millenials who into their early 20s had never been to a restaurant where a server waited on you.  He also has other family who live in areas with aggressive urban poverty, pretty close to destitute.    As he tells it,  vaccination hesitancy or lack of vaccination in that segment has nothing to do with access or availability.  Nor is it an issue of internet access "there are people there that can't keep their lights or heat on that have cell phones with data".

Its a huge problem but its not an access issue.  Its far more psychological and embedded.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3389 on: August 10, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »

Forgetful, sincere question and apologies if it’s a dumb one.  Been reading that because C19 also has animal hosts (recent report showing 40% of deer tested positive) it will be impossible to ever fully eradicate it?  Even if humans are 100% vaccinated and or natural antibodies will the virus continue to mutate within animal populations and these new variants will constantly be popping up in humans from time to time?

Small pox was successfully eradicated because it didn’t have an animal host capability? Is that right?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3390 on: August 10, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »

You have repeatedly supported vaccinations. You should be happy about this.

Plus, it's capitalism. A private entity exercising its rights. You should be happy about that, too.

Unvaccinated can find other venues and events to infect fellow unvaccinated folks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3391 on: August 10, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »
Unvaccinated can find other venues and events to infect fellow unvaccinated folks.

Clapton's got their back.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3392 on: August 10, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »

So, if the anti-vaxxers refuse to 'submit', are you in favor of handcuffing them?     
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:54:14 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3393 on: August 10, 2021, 01:26:50 PM »
You have repeatedly supported vaccinations. You should be happy about this.

Plus, it's capitalism. A private entity exercising its rights. You should be happy about that, too.

You're right, I support the vaccination. That said, I think it's insane to require vaccination to attend an outdoor event. Furthermore, why would any business impose further penalties upon itself based on ill-conceived notions, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3394 on: August 10, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Clapton's got their back.

Had to look it up. Didn't know that about Clapton.

Said Brian May: "Anti-vax people, I'm sorry, I think they're fruitcakes."

Funny stuff. Can't make this shyte up!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3395 on: August 10, 2021, 01:30:49 PM »

You're right, I support the vaccination. That said, I think it's insane to require vaccination to attend an outdoor event. Furthermore, why would any business impose further penalties upon itself based on ill-conceived notions, hey?

It's not your run-of-the-mill "outdoor event." It's a super-crowded outdoor event that will feature humans mashed together at concerts, in beer lines, etc.

Furthermore, I don't know why it bothers you that a private enterprise would regulate its own business, even if it "imposes further penalties upon itself."

Freedom! Capitalism! 'Murica!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3396 on: August 10, 2021, 01:42:33 PM »

Your average family in the back at picnic tables during early sets would be fine. Your average younger person jumping around packed shoulder to shoulder shouting lyrics into the face of people 8inches away... would not.

A good comparison is Lollapalooza. I was in the back for foo fighters and am A-ok. Meanwhile a cousin of my cousin's (a soph at MU) was upfront and going nuts... he has Covid now despite having J&J, the required vaccination cards and negative tests.

Bottom line is you're so densely packed in, for so long, breathing heavily all over so many people that the outdoors is negated.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3397 on: August 10, 2021, 05:29:23 PM »
Get vaccinated unnatural carnal knowledgeing morons.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3398 on: August 10, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »
Get vaccinated unnatural carnal knowledgeing morons.

Ir's not like no one saw this coming.
From the Daily Beast in July 2016:

Donald Trump Is Turning Republicans Into Anti-Vaxxers

Republicans are more skeptical of vaccine science than we may have previously realized—and Donald Trump may bear some of the blame.
A new study, conducted for The Daily Beast by a researcher at Washington State University, found a relationship between Republican party affiliation and anti-vaccine sentiment. Survey participants who didn’t plan to vaccinate themselves or their families most often named Donald Trump as a public figure they thought shared their views.
Anti-vaccine sentiment was also disturbingly high among Democrats who participated in the study, though not as prevalent as among Republicans.
Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, has expressed significant skepticism about vaccine science over the years, even going so far as to suggest vaccines cause autism. As a result, he’s become a hero to many in the anti-vaxx movement—the rare public figure willing to champion their dangerous and incorrect beliefs.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/donald-trump-is-turning-republicans-into-anti-vaxxers

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3399 on: August 10, 2021, 07:53:59 PM »
I've been saying this for months (as have some others).

feedback