collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384441 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1500 on: February 23, 2021, 09:38:54 AM »

That is amazing! If they actually get the supply and can vaccinate everyone in each age group that wants it on that schedule, it will be a remarkable success. My fear would be if they open to younger groups before all willing members of the older groups have been vaccinated...in which case it could become a free for all. Hope they have a plan to maintain the relative priorities.

They should provide better guidance like that in more states. Even if they don't give exact dates, it would be nice to confirm whether or not they are going to incrementally prioritize by age like in CT, or just open it up after the 65+ crowd is done. I have tried to find the answer here in MN, and nobody can tell me.

One item that was also communicated as part of this - 39% of 65-74 age group has received their first shot and 75+ is at 70%.  The 75+ seems to have hit a ceiling as it was 68% as of last wed.  The 65-74 group added about 10 points since last Wed.  So they are rolling...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:40:40 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1501 on: February 23, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
Connecticut released it's full vaccination schedule yesterday.

Schedule for CT:

March 1: Expands to the age group 55 to 64 and all teachers.
March 22: Expands to age group 45 to 54
April 12: Expands to age group 35 to 44
May 3: Expands to age group 16 to 34

Born and raised in Milford. Can I show up on March 1 and get the vaccine?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1502 on: February 23, 2021, 12:53:02 PM »

I've been to Hartford and New Haven. Maybe I'll head on over....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1503 on: February 23, 2021, 01:19:17 PM »

It'll give you a chance to see the Silver Sands & Walnut Beach Boardwalk and then visit the Walnut Beach Creamery (owned by Dan Patrick's wife) for some ice cream.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1504 on: February 23, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »
If the group of guys I play basketball with all get vaccinated, I assume we should be okay to play basketball maskless even if it is still best practice to be masked up for public gatherings?  I don't think this will be happening for a number of months still, but I can't wait to start playing basketball again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1505 on: February 23, 2021, 03:14:27 PM »
It'll give you a chance to see the Silver Sands & Walnut Beach Boardwalk and then visit the Walnut Beach Creamery (owned by Dan Patrick's wife) for some ice cream.

None of those existed when I lived there. I need to get back!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1506 on: February 23, 2021, 03:14:55 PM »
If the group of guys I play basketball with all get vaccinated, I assume we should be okay to play basketball maskless even if it is still best practice to be masked up for public gatherings?  I don't think this will be happening for a number of months still, but I can't wait to start playing basketball again.

Probably not a huge risk if you've all been vaccinated.

If you all mask up in public, the real (potential) risk is that one of you is a carrier and passes the virus to other players...who then take it home to their families or other people with whom they interact maskless. So say your wife hasn't gotten the vaccine yet, you might pass it on to her.

But if all of you (and your respective family members) regularly mask up in public, the spread would be limited.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1507 on: February 23, 2021, 03:34:03 PM »

That's my plan as well, and you should be fine.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1508 on: February 23, 2021, 03:48:08 PM »

Maybea ax Hards 'cuz he's da a final word on all thins Covid, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1509 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:15 PM »

Probably not a huge risk if you've all been vaccinated.

If you all mask up in public, the real (potential) risk is that one of you is a carrier and passes the virus to other players...who then take it home to their families or other people with whom they interact maskless. So say your wife hasn't gotten the vaccine yet, you might pass it on to her.

But if all of you (and your respective family members) regularly mask up in public, the spread would be limited.

Excellent, thank you.  I'm guessing most of the guys I play with will be the least group of people to be vaccinated, so the people we will be interacting with outside of pickup basketball will most likely be vaccinated at least right around the same time we will be if they choose to.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1510 on: February 24, 2021, 08:02:44 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/science/johnson-johnson-vaccine-update.html?smid=tw-nythealth&smtyp=cur

"The one-shot coronavirus vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson provides strong protection against severe disease and death from Covid-19, and may reduce the spread of the virus by vaccinated people, according to new analyses posted online by the Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday.

The vaccine had a 72 percent overall efficacy rate in the United States and 64 percent in South Africa, where a highly contagious variant emerged in the fall and is now driving most cases. The efficacy in South Africa was seven points higher than earlier data released by the company.

The vaccine also showed 86 percent efficacy against severe forms of Covid-19 in the United States, and 82 percent against severe disease in South Africa. That means that a vaccinated person has a far lower risk of being hospitalized or dying from Covid-19.

The analyses confirmed that Americans are likely to benefit soon from a third effective coronavirus vaccine developed in under a year, as demand for inoculations greatly outstrips supply. The F.D.A. could authorize the vaccine as early as Saturday, depending on a vote of its vaccine advisory panel on Friday after it discusses the newly released documents."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1511 on: February 24, 2021, 08:10:06 AM »
Well that's a big game changer. Start rolling that out, ideally to non at risk individuals, and continue Pfizer and moderna to at risk.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1512 on: February 24, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »
Well that's a big game changer. Start rolling that out, ideally to non at risk individuals, and continue Pfizer and moderna to at risk.

Exactly what I was thinking.  I would take the J&J shot tomorrow and be done with it if I could.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1513 on: February 24, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »

J&J is way behind on production. Pfizer and Moderna will deliver well over 200M doses before J&J can deliver their first 20M.

Based on the current production projections, Pfizer and Moderna will deliver enough doses by the end of summer to vaccinate every American that wants a vaccine.

I'd start prioritizing J&J for overseas use where mutations are brewing and vaccine distribution is complicated.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1514 on: February 24, 2021, 08:36:57 AM »
J&J is way behind on production. Pfizer and Moderna will deliver well over 200M doses before J&J can deliver their first 20M.

Based on the current production projections, Pfizer and Moderna will deliver enough doses by the end of summer to vaccinate every American that wants a vaccine.

I'd start prioritizing J&J for overseas use where mutations are brewing and vaccine distribution is complicated.

I thought J&J had already ramped up production with the expectation of getting cleared? Maybe I just mistook the company.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1515 on: February 24, 2021, 08:39:49 AM »

Why do you hate capitalism? Free markets should determine how it gets distributed, not invasive nanny governments! (yes, this was sarcasm)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1517 on: February 24, 2021, 09:26:57 AM »
I thought J&J had already ramped up production with the expectation of getting cleared? Maybe I just mistook the company.

J&J was trying to ramp up production, but it hasn't gone as planned.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/13/johnson-johnson-vaccine-production-458941

Johnson & Johnson has fallen behind on production of its Covid-19 vaccine, a delay that could put it as much as two months behind schedule, a person briefed on the matter told POLITICO.

The company had originally pledged to deliver 12 million doses by the end of February, with plans to reach 100 million over the next four months.

But Johnson & Johnson has since warned officials that it could take until the end of April to catch up to its original projections, the person briefed on the matter said.

-------------

Some have suggested we use the J&J vaccine for lower risk populations. I suspect that will happen by default because it will take a while to get it made and distributed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:28:44 AM by GooooMarquette »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1518 on: February 24, 2021, 09:56:37 AM »
But this is only good news for some

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-yahoo-news-you-gov-poll-covid-19-vaccine-acceptance-is-rising-except-among-republicans-003242019.html

Selfishly, this makes me hope I’ll get my vaccine sooner. However, this isn’t a great trend.

Unless there are severe restrictions for those that aren’t vaccinated, I’m not sure what will convince them. Many are probably those that think it is the flu and the odds of severe illness are low. They probably are already gathering in groups without masks, going to bars, etc.

The big one I think will be if a vaccine is required to work or travel. But I don’t know if a loophole for people saying they are concerned for their health by taking it or citing religious beliefs would negate that. Sort of like the places that say if you aren’t wearing a mask, we will assume you have a health issue.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1519 on: February 24, 2021, 10:05:05 AM »
But this is only good news for some

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-yahoo-news-you-gov-poll-covid-19-vaccine-acceptance-is-rising-except-among-republicans-003242019.html

This might help explain the post yesterday by Frenns regarding the rollout in CT:

One item that was also communicated as part of this - 39% of 65-74 age group has received their first shot and 75+ is at 70%.  The 75+ seems to have hit a ceiling as it was 68% as of last wed.  The 65-74 group added about 10 points since last Wed.  So they are rolling...

If there is an apparent plateau at about 70% of the 75+ age group (a group that is high risk by definition), many of us will probably get our vaccines sooner than expected...but it could take longer than expected to reach herd immunity.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1520 on: February 24, 2021, 12:38:44 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1522 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »
Looks like JNJ vaccine is gonna start being distributed in the U.S. within days after being greenlit by FDA advisers today.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1523 on: February 26, 2021, 04:39:23 PM »
Looks like JNJ vaccine is gonna start being distributed in the U.S. within days after being greenlit by FDA advisers today.

The beginning of the end 🙏🙏

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1524 on: February 26, 2021, 07:12:42 PM »

Excellent news.

Three safe and effective vaccines against a novel virus, all in less than a year. Unprecedented process.

feedback