collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384484 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #3725 on: September 08, 2021, 03:19:29 PM »
There seems to be a big difference between you and Fluff, though. My guess is that you and Chick respect those who choose to wear masks or take more precautions than we do. He would rather criticize them.

Who was I criticizing?  I said if the woman Wags was talking about was vaccinated and didn't have any underlying health conditions, that she was being illogical because the chances of her catching Covid was slim.   But I would hardly disrespect this person if she was my neighbor.  I wouldn't care in the least if she wore her mask to the pool.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #3726 on: September 08, 2021, 03:39:09 PM »
I don’t know who has the high ground in the race to claim aggrieved status.  This recent circle around the toilet bowl all started by calling out someone wearing a mask in a pool. 

The pandemic not being over yet and the vaccinated being able to and actually taking more risk can happen at the same time.

Just one bone to pick with the idea that the pandemic isn't over yet. That implies it will end at some point. It seems pretty clear to me that COVID will be endemic going forward and we're all going to have to learn to live with it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3727 on: September 08, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »
It was 745 am. 

I'm not surprised that you are a in car masker.

Probably for the best. I'm much prettier with it on vs off

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3728 on: September 08, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »
I disagree.   I think we are in year 2 of a 5 year process and at the end there will be a medicine to render it irrelevant.   Hopefully, society will actually take it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3729 on: September 08, 2021, 04:23:24 PM »
I disagree.   I think we are in year 2 of a 5 year process and at the end there will be a medicine to render it irrelevant.   Hopefully, society will actually take it.

What do you think that 5 years looks likes?  Periodic mask mandates?  Masked air travel until then?  Borders opening and closing to certain countries depending?

Legitimately curious.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3730 on: September 08, 2021, 04:49:26 PM »
Predict the variants versus the improved treatments.    I think the variants are going to take the lead, but the science will make rapid gains.   IMO, periodic border closures.   Continued masking on public transportation and flights for at least two more years.

Booster shots on a regular basis.

One man's opinion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3731 on: September 08, 2021, 05:16:15 PM »

Who was I criticizing?  I said if the woman Wags was talking about was vaccinated and didn't have any underlying health conditions, that she was being illogical because the chances of her catching Covid was slim.   But I would hardly disrespect this person if she was my neighbor.  I wouldn't care in the least if she wore her mask to the pool.
Just to play Devil's Advocate, is it illogical to wear a seat belt since the chances of needing it are exceedingly slim?

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3732 on: September 08, 2021, 05:38:27 PM »
Just to play Devil's Advocate, is it illogical to wear a seat belt since the chances of needing it are exceedingly slim?

That analogy doesn’t work though.  If COVID was injury in a car wreck, the vaccine would be the seatbelt. It’s more akin to wearing a seatbelt but also only driving on deserted roads in dry conditions during the day.

I view it more like my old landlord in Chicago who insisted we had flood insurance,  in addition to our renters insurance and all his homeowners insurance…because I had a 20 gallon aquarium and it might shatter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3733 on: September 08, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »

I view it more like my old landlord in Chicago who insisted we had flood insurance,  in addition to our renters insurance and all his homeowners insurance…because I had a 20 gallon aquarium and it might shatter

Yet another thing posted as something that can never happen that started a fire I have been to.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3734 on: September 08, 2021, 06:24:35 PM »
Yet another thing posted as something that can never happen that started a fire I have been to.

The shattered aquarium caused a fire and the flood insurance paid out?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3735 on: September 08, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
I don't mean to be argumentative tower but what Wags said was that flood insurance for a fish tank feels like overkill. I actually thought his vaccine=seatbelt analogy was pretty spot on.   

I'm confident there isn't a single horrible situation you haven't come across.  I'm sure seeing the crap you see is tough, especially when way too much of it is directly tied to stupid.  I think that everyone here agrees that being unvaxxed is like not wearing a seatbelt.... stupid.  But I still drive my car in the rain and try to be careful when I do it. A risk I take, I suppose.

I also think Wags makes a solid point about the societal dangers of misinformation and those that disseminate it, something we all should oppose.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3736 on: September 08, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »
I don't mean to be argumentative tower but what Wags said was that flood insurance for a fish tank feels like overkill. I actually thought his vaccine=seatbelt analogy was pretty spot on.   

I'm confident there isn't a single horrible situation you haven't come across.  I'm sure seeing the crap you see is tough, especially when way too much of it is directly tied to stupid.  I think that everyone here agrees that being unvaxxed is like not wearing a seatbelt.... stupid.  But I still drive my car in the rain and try to be careful when I do it. A risk I take, I suppose.

I also think Wags makes a solid point about the societal dangers of misinformation and those that disseminate it, something we all should oppose.

Thank you.  That was my meaning. It’s not an impossibility, but it’s not in any way common or remotely even regular.  Between my father and I, there is 50 years of aquarium keeping, over 20 different tanks and sizes, and the worst we ever had was a leak over a long weekend that drained a bit and soaked some carpet.  A friend was a super hobbyist who always had 5-10 home tanks and ran a speciality fish store for 10+ years.  I remember asking him about it and he chuckled and said the only time he’d seen it happen was in Deuce Bigalow.

If we base our life around the absolute worst case super rare SNAFUs, it becomes a terrifying real life Final Destination

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3737 on: September 08, 2021, 07:18:48 PM »
It isn't common.   But it isn't impossible.  Your example made me laugh, that's all.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3738 on: September 08, 2021, 07:33:46 PM »
It isn't common.   But it isn't impossible.  Your example made me laugh, that's all.

We’ve traded some barbs recently, so I’ll take laughter  ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3739 on: September 08, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
Looks like a picked a good weekend for a vacation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3740 on: September 08, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »
We’ve traded some barbs recently, so I’ll take laughter  ;D

Nuthin but luv, wags

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3741 on: September 08, 2021, 08:00:40 PM »
Most NFL fans regularly attending games want stadium COVID vaccine mandate, poll says

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article254075713.html?

This week marks the return of regular-season football, and NFL team owners are itching to get fans back in stadium seats to recover from the financial beating the league took last year thanks to COVID-19.

But how do fans feel? Especially the ones who regularly attend games and scream along with thousands of other people in close proximity.

In a new poll conducted by Morning Consult, 54% of those who commonly attend games “would me more interested in going to a game this season if all fans were required to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19.”

Nineteen percent of those regular attendees said they would be less interested while 27% said they’d be neither more nor less interested.

According to Morning Consult, the poll was conducted Aug. 30-Sept. 2, 2021, among a sample of 2,200 adults based on gender, educational attainment, age, race and region.

Despite the response, only a handful of NFL teams will require vaccination documents to be presented at the stadium. On Tuesday, the Seattle Seahawks joined the Las Vegas Raiders and New Orleans Saints as teams requiring proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within a 72-hour window prior to the start of the game, Yahoo Sports reported.

My wife and I usually go to 2-3 Panthers games a year. (Obviously none last season.) She would only agree to go this season with a vaccine mandate, but the Panthers don't have one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3742 on: September 08, 2021, 10:00:28 PM »
Just one bone to pick with the idea that the pandemic isn't over yet. That implies it will end at some point. It seems pretty clear to me that COVID will be endemic going forward and we're all going to have to learn to live with it.

Honestly I can’t name a pandemic that lasts for ever. Either we die, our bodies adapt to make it less severe or we chemically treat it, right?. Maybe there is a scenario that it becomes endemic and is still filling up ICUs every year but my guess is if it is that severe something else will change.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3743 on: September 08, 2021, 10:47:15 PM »
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.30.21262866v1

Not peer reviewed yet but this was discussed recently on scoop and it seems the problem might be more prevalent then originally thought.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3744 on: September 08, 2021, 11:27:50 PM »
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.30.21262866v1

Not peer reviewed yet but this was discussed recently on scoop and it seems the problem might be more prevalent then originally thought.

I'm sure someone with greater knowledge of these things can explain this, but this doesn't seem to be much of an apples-to-apples comparison.
They're comparing reported cases of myocarditis (perhaps self-reported), without necessarily medical confirmation and with no regards to severity, against only the most severe confirmed cases of COVID, i.e. those that sent an otherwise healthy child to the hospital.
As I understand it  - and please correct me if I'm wrong - most cases of myocarditis are mild and clear up on their own or with antibiotics. Hospitalization and long-term illness is rare.
So why would any and all cases of myocarditis be comparable to only the worst cases of COVID?

Studying whether there's an elevated risk of myocarditis post-vaccination seems worthwhile, but I do wonder if some of the choices here were made to produce a desired result.

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3747 on: September 09, 2021, 08:12:29 AM »
Ironies abound.

And, one can only hope.

Probably not enough independent verification from reputable sources.   Alas.

A little research shows the statement comes from a poorly done study from 10 years ago.   Sadly, it has no more validity than the discredited Egyptian study.

So, good for a chuckle, but nowhere near definitive.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:54:17 AM by tower912 »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3748 on: September 09, 2021, 08:47:57 AM »
So, instead of poking fun at these people, we should be encouraging them?

I know I will now be recommending it to my republican friends.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3749 on: September 09, 2021, 09:04:50 AM »
Vaccine mandates for all Fed workers AND Fed contractors.

About time. Don’t be afraid to terminate the slackers.

feedback