collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384466 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #3625 on: September 03, 2021, 04:33:32 PM »
At the risk of kicking a hornets nest.  Wondering why there is so much negativity towards ivermectin.  Admittedly I have no opinion on it and hadn’t heard about it til seeing it on Scoop but there seems to be enough positive data to at least study further??

The guy who developed the use ignition humans won the Nobel Prize for crying out loud and the use of it has been credited with saving millions of lives.  Who knows what the real world benefits are as it relates to C19 but to cast it off as simply horse dewormer seems like a waste of an opportunity.

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ofid/ofab358/6316214

1. The negativity seems primarily directed at the people pushing an unproven, unvetted treatment to the extent that people are misusing a livestock version of it with sometimes terrible consequences. People are casting it off as "simply horse dewormer" because that's literally what people are ingesting.

2. Because the drug, under a doctor's guidance, can be used to treat one illness does not mean it can or should be used to treat another. Chemotherapy can be an effective treatment for cancer, but I'm not injecting chemo every time I get a headache. Simply put, at this time there is no solid evidence that ivermectin is an effective treatment for COVID.

3. While he supports further study (which is happening), the inventor you mention, Dr. William Campbell, has said the probability of ivermectin being an effective treatment for COVID is low and that tests showing its potential as a treatment involve a concentration of the drug far higher than what's normal human use.

https://www.ria.ie/news/publications-covid-19-research-response/does-ivermectin-kill-covid-19-virus

4. The metastudy you linked has been withdrawn because some of the data they relied upon was fraudulent.

https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/8/8/ofab394/6346765

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3626 on: September 03, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
But other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3627 on: September 03, 2021, 05:59:04 PM »
1. The negativity seems primarily directed at the people pushing an unproven, unvetted treatment to the extent that people are misusing a livestock version of it with sometimes terrible consequences. People are casting it off as "simply horse dewormer" because that's literally what people are ingesting.

2. Because the drug, under a doctor's guidance, can be used to treat one illness does not mean it can or should be used to treat another. Chemotherapy can be an effective treatment for cancer, but I'm not injecting chemo every time I get a headache. Simply put, at this time there is no solid evidence that ivermectin is an effective treatment for COVID.

3. While he supports further study (which is happening), the inventor you mention, Dr. William Campbell, has said the probability of ivermectin being an effective treatment for COVID is low and that tests showing its potential as a treatment involve a concentration of the drug far higher than what's normal human use.

https://www.ria.ie/news/publications-covid-19-research-response/does-ivermectin-kill-covid-19-virus

4. The metastudy you linked has been withdrawn because some of the data they relied upon was fraudulent.

I’m not saying today it should/could be trusted for treating Covid.  But the safety profile when you take the human version and not the animal version/dose seems sound so if there’s even a hint of it working I think it should be looked into.  🤞the continual study of it brings some good news!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3628 on: September 03, 2021, 06:14:45 PM »
I’m not saying today it should/could be trusted for treating Covid.  But the safety profile when you take the human version and not the animal version/dose seems sound so if there’s even a hint of it working I think it should be looked into.  🤞the continual study of it brings some good news!!

It should be looked into, as with any other potential treatment.
But the negativity surrounding the use of the version intended for deworming livestock is justified. People who do so are dumb, and - as with much in this pandemic - being led down a dangerous path by people who know better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3629 on: September 03, 2021, 06:38:08 PM »
Literally hundreds of calls to poison control.   People pooping out their intestinal lining because they trust their facebook feed more than science.    Willful stupidity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3630 on: September 03, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »

As Pakuni mentioned, the meta-study you linked to was withdrawn, as a key study within it was retracted due to fraudulent data. That fraudulent study was the only one showing a significant positive effect. Well, except for another earlier retracted paper that relied on Surgisphere, who was outed for manufacturing data.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02081-w

Ivermectin has been looked into. Studies so far show no real effect, and contrary to what you say, it is not exactly the safest of drugs. It is also still continuing to be looked at; but if they were seeing real, tangible early benefits, we'd already have heard of preliminary results from these large controlled studies.

So people are attacking it, largely because it is being driven as a medication from quacks and conspiracy theorists, and as Tower mentions is causing actual physical harm to people.

We have a way to prevent COVID...the vaccine. We have ways proven to help treat it: monoclonals. Those taking horse medicine are frankly idiots following conspiracy theories.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3631 on: September 03, 2021, 07:23:15 PM »

Pace, do you get tired of getting dunked on every time you come here?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3632 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:47 PM »
What happened to HCQ? Why is ivermectin the new hotness?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3633 on: September 03, 2021, 07:31:28 PM »
Contrariness.   Conscious choice.  Choosing facebook over facts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3634 on: September 03, 2021, 07:33:27 PM »
Literally hundreds of calls to poison control.   People pooping out their intestinal lining because they trust their facebook feed more than science.    Willful stupidity.

I’m beginning to be pro Ivermectin. Darwin at work.

Patients overdosing on ivermectin backing up rural Oklahoma hospitals, ambulances

https://kfor.com/news/local/patients-overdosing-on-ivermectin-backing-up-rural-oklahoma-hospitals-ambulances/

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3635 on: September 03, 2021, 07:53:29 PM »
As Pakuni mentioned, the meta-study you linked to was withdrawn, as a key study within it was retracted due to fraudulent data. That fraudulent study was the only one showing a significant positive effect. Well, except for another earlier retracted paper that relied on Surgisphere, who was outed for manufacturing data.

Ivermectin has been looked into. Studies so far show no real effect, and contrary to what you say, it is not exactly the safest of drugs. It is also still continuing to be looked at; but if they were seeing real, tangible early benefits, we'd already have heard of preliminary results from these large controlled studies.

So people are attacking it, largely because it is being driven as a medication from quacks and conspiracy theorists, and as Tower mentions is causing actual physical harm to people.

We have a way to prevent COVID...the vaccine. We have ways proven to help treat it: monoclonals. Those taking horse medicine are frankly idiots following conspiracy theories.

Is it also not prescribed millions of times a year for humans?  I’m certainly not suggesting going to fleet farm and self medicating, but I heard it was prescribed 100,000 times just last week.

And if it showed enough promise to be looked at in large controlled trials is it really that extreme for people to be pushing it?  I agree with you on just getting the vaccine but I don’t think it’s that crazy for someone to be promoting a drug that showed enough potential to still be actively studied. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3636 on: September 03, 2021, 07:55:35 PM »
Pace, do you get tired of getting dunked on every time you come here?

Pakuni and I finally agree on something and you think that’s me getting dunked on?  I simply asked why so much hatred for it.  Asked a few questions, got the answers but they were all with the caveat that it should still be studied.  I wouldn’t call that getting dunked on.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3637 on: September 03, 2021, 08:03:33 PM »
Is it also not prescribed millions of times a year for humans?  I’m certainly not suggesting going to fleet farm and self medicating, but I heard it was prescribed 100,000 times just last week.

And if it showed enough promise to be looked at in large controlled trials is it really that extreme for people to be pushing it?  I agree with you on just getting the vaccine but I don’t think it’s that crazy for someone to be promoting a drug that showed enough potential to still be actively studied.

The guy who invented the drug says that levels for human treatment don’t help with Covid. And since anti vaxxers are conservative, er, stupid, they ignore safety protocols.
Stupid people advocate an unproven drug to cure Covid, while ignoring a tested proven preventative measure, killing other stupid people, but more importantly, take resources from responsible people that need them.

Which group do you fall in?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3638 on: September 03, 2021, 08:23:48 PM »
The guy who invented the drug says that levels for human treatment don’t help with Covid. And since anti vaxxers are conservative, er, stupid, they ignore safety protocols.
Stupid people advocate an unproven drug to cure Covid, while ignoring a tested proven preventative measure, killing other stupid people, but more importantly, take resources from responsible people that need them.

Which group do you fall in?

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/SUMMARY-OF-THE-EVIDENCE-BASE-FINAL.pdf

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90552

I’m in the group that reads things like these above articles (especially the second link) and think hell maybe these guys are right and maybe ignorantly or out of naivety get hopeful it might actually work.  I don’t disregard things just got Don Lemon tells me to. 

I’ve been long ago vaccinated so 🤞I’ll never have to worry about the idea of taking a treatment cocktail for Covid but I’m hopeful for continued progress on therapeutics etc so we can stop seeing the equivalent of 3 Pearl Harbors worth of American deaths every week. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3639 on: September 03, 2021, 08:41:34 PM »

It is prescribed, mostly in the developing world as a single dose treatment of ~150 micrograms/Kg body weight. You get a single dose once every year or two years. It is the only known treatment for specific parasitic infections. Compared to previous treatments, it is safe, but people still die from this treatment.

The original dosages tried in cell culture, where viral replication was moderately slowed (this is what led to clinical trials...they tried everything that might have a remote effect), required ~150x higher dose.

Even at the lower efficacy thresholds, it would require giving Ivermectin at 30-50x the recommended dose. For prevention, that type of dosage would kill you pretty quick. For treatment, it would make you far far more ill than COVID was.

Clinical trials are pushing the envelope on what is safe at ~2-3x the normal dose. Those are showing no effect.

But people are then taking horse medicine, to reach the dosage amounts in quack/conspiracy theory groups and damn near killing themselves.

If you wonder why people think you are a troll, or seal, it is because of this. You are pushing fringe conspiracy theories, with zero effort to look into this on your own, and instead linking articles that are retracted.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3640 on: September 03, 2021, 08:55:42 PM »
It is prescribed, mostly in the developing world as a single dose treatment of ~150 micrograms/Kg body weight. You get a single dose once every year or two years. It is the only known treatment for specific parasitic infections. Compared to previous treatments, it is safe, but people still die from this treatment.

The original dosages tried in cell culture, where viral replication was moderately slowed (this is what led to clinical trials...they tried everything that might have a remote effect), required ~150x higher dose.

Even at the lower efficacy thresholds, it would require giving Ivermectin at 30-50x the recommended dose. For prevention, that type of dosage would kill you pretty quick. For treatment, it would make you far far more ill than COVID was.

Clinical trials are pushing the envelope on what is safe at ~2-3x the normal dose. Those are showing no effect.

But people are then taking horse medicine, to reach the dosage amounts in quack/conspiracy theory groups and damn near killing themselves.

If you wonder why people think you are a troll, or seal, it is because of this. You are pushing fringe conspiracy theories, with zero effort to look into this on your own, and instead linking articles that are retracted.

The link I posted acknowledged and agreed about that one study from Egypt I believe getting retracted.  But they said that was 1 of 28 in the meta analysis they performed which didn’t change their opinion on the overall potential of it? 

I don’t have a ton of time to read about this stuff and like I said I just heard about this drug within the last week.  I’ve read quite a few studies with some showing promising results with others not showing much affect at all but none of them raised safety concerns or crazy adverse events with taking it.  Obviously taking any medication outside the guidance and watch of a doctor is insane so the people taking horse pills is an example of Darwinism at it’s finest as a previous poster suggested.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3641 on: September 03, 2021, 09:21:59 PM »

You’re also way underestimating how often this is prescribed and at what dosage levels.  CDC requires it for anyone coming in from different parts of the world.

https://mobile.twitter.com/drdrew/status/1433963943756636168/photo/1

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3642 on: September 03, 2021, 09:30:58 PM »
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3643 on: September 03, 2021, 09:33:26 PM »

Haha

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3644 on: September 03, 2021, 09:49:26 PM »

Hopefully human crazy pills and not bovine

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3645 on: September 04, 2021, 06:19:14 AM »

Another article: You are not a horse
https://www.spencereveningworld.com/story/news/health/2021/08/23/covid-warning-treatment-ivermectin-fda-mississippi/8244302002/

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3646 on: September 04, 2021, 06:34:49 AM »

Very reasonable answer to a very unreasonable troll. He knows there have been studies and continue to be studies. Disingenuous trolls will do what they do.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #3647 on: September 04, 2021, 09:36:19 PM »

pacearrow02

• Starter

MUDPT

• All American