collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384491 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2400 on: April 20, 2021, 11:19:13 AM »
https://nypost.com/2021/04/20/herpes-infection-possibly-linked-to-covid-19-vaccine/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone out here who got the Pfizer shot now have herpes??  I dodged that bullet, I think!?!?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2401 on: April 20, 2021, 11:25:42 AM »
https://nypost.com/2021/04/20/herpes-infection-possibly-linked-to-covid-19-vaccine/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone out here who got the Pfizer shot now have herpes??  I dodged that bullet, I think!?!?

Not digging at you, but: Herpes Zoster is shingles, not herpes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2402 on: April 20, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
Go ahead and dig.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2403 on: April 20, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »

I didn’t say it wasn’t.  I have no interest in getting shingles either

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2404 on: April 20, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »

My FIL is dealing with a terrible outbreak of shingles that started within days of getting his second Moderna shot. 

Would it make sense that if this is a possible side affect of Pfizer that Moderna would also carry that risk?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2405 on: April 20, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »
My FIL is dealing with a terrible outbreak of shingles that started within days of getting his second Moderna shot. 

Would it make sense that if this is a possible side affect of Pfizer that Moderna would also carry that risk?

The study you linked was referencing folks that had autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic diseases (AIIRD) + the vaccine having 1.2% incidence of a shingles outbreak. Is your FIL immunocompromised?

You don't 'catch' herpes zoster. It's a reemergence of varicella zoster (chicken pox). Doctors aren't 100% on what causes herpes zoster to reemerge, but there's a strong belief it's from a weakened immune system. I had shingles at ~30 years old during a particularly stressful personal time and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Thankfully there's a shingles vaccine, though too late for your FIL's outbreak.

I wish him well. It's hard to describe the pain of exposed nerve endings.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2406 on: April 20, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »

Here's the actual study - they still don't know if there's a link, or it's just activated by elevated stress.  But it's of primary concern when AIIRD are also involved.

https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/advance-article/doi/10.1093/rheumatology/keab345/6225015
Conclusion
Epidemiologic studies on the safety of the mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines in patients with autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic diseases (AIIRD) are needed to clarify the association between the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccination and reactivation of zoster.

edit: skat beat me to the punch.  But link and quote still useful :)

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2407 on: April 20, 2021, 01:15:08 PM »
The study you linked was referencing folks that had autoimmune inflammatory rheumatic diseases (AIIRD) + the vaccine having 1.2% incidence of a shingles outbreak. Is your FIL immunocompromised?

You don't 'catch' herpes zoster. It's a reemergence of varicella zoster (chicken pox). Doctors aren't 100% on what causes herpes zoster to reemerge, but there's a strong belief it's from a weakened immune system. I had shingles at ~30 years old during a particularly stressful personal time and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Thankfully there's a shingles vaccine, though too late for your FIL's outbreak.

Ya the way he’s explained the symptoms it sounds just brutal, primarily in his eyes/face area.  He’s 78 but don’t believe he’s immunocomprimised at least with anything obvious.  Still very active healthy guy given his age who repeatedly turned down the shingles vaccine cause he didn’t want to spend the $80. 

While I’m all for the vaccines, I also understand the hesitancy while some of this stuff gets figured out.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2408 on: April 20, 2021, 02:37:11 PM »
I had shingles in 1979 at age 18 and a very stressful point in my life. It was brutal, alcohol was the thing that brought any relief, fortunately my boss @ Suburpia let me drink as long as I didn't work the counter.

Undecided if I will get that vaccine, it's my understanding that if I get it again it will pale compared to how it affected me then.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2409 on: April 20, 2021, 03:12:46 PM »

Early in the pandemic there were a ton of these cases popping up as people dealt with the stress in front of them.  Medical Twitter has been trying to promote getting the vaccine even if you are not yet to the recommended age quite yet.  These are all anecdotes, but it would seem this has been more prevalent.  Since there is probably data now, it would be a really interesting study.

Also, Pace hasn't said his age, but I were a betting man, I would guess his FIL is clearly within the age that the Shingles vaccine is recommended--potentially avoiding this. 

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2410 on: April 20, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »
I got a mild case of hives after my first Shingrix shot last year, never reacted to any other vaccine. I had the original  shingles shot a few years ago so hopefully have some protection.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2411 on: April 20, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »
Ya the way he’s explained the symptoms it sounds just brutal, primarily in his eyes/face area.  He’s 78 but don’t believe he’s immunocomprimised at least with anything obvious.  Still very active healthy guy given his age who repeatedly turned down the shingles vaccine cause he didn’t want to spend the $80. 

While I’m all for the vaccines, I also understand the hesitancy while some of this stuff gets figured out.

American healthcare. So great.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2412 on: April 20, 2021, 04:02:16 PM »
As earlier reported, I had my 2nd shingles shot the first week of March.  Was up all night with a fever and the shivers.  Was OK the next day.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2413 on: April 20, 2021, 04:23:30 PM »
Hard to predict if they will ever establish a direct link between shingles and either of the vaccines, but I think it’s fairly likely that stress is causing a compromised immune system.

Gonna go meditate now 🧘

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2414 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:50 PM »
My dad had shingles and it was a miserable month for him. He was one of the happiest and kindest in the world, a guy who was almost always "on," even when he was dealing with cancer late in his life. But shingles beat the shyte out of him.

In addition to the possible hereditary aspect of it, I had chickenpox as an adult (caught if from my son when I was 31), so I was told I had I had a pretty high risk of getting shingles.

So I got the Shingrix series last year. Second one beat me up for about 24 hours but I recovered quickly after that. I'd gladly trade that unpleasant day for not getting shingles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2415 on: April 20, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
I had shingles in 1979 at age 18 and a very stressful point in my life. It was brutal, alcohol was the thing that brought any relief, fortunately my boss @ Suburpia let me drink as long as I didn't work the counter.

Undecided if I will get that vaccine, it's my understanding that if I get it again it will pale compared to how it affected me then.

That sucks and is a hilarious story at the same time.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2416 on: April 20, 2021, 09:17:18 PM »
That sucks and is a hilarious story at the same time.

Yep. Hopefully the passage of a few decades has allowed Billy to laugh about this too.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2417 on: April 21, 2021, 01:34:52 PM »
Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic have partnered in an initiative to (hopefully) address COVID vaccine hesitancy.

https://ourshot2savelives.org

It does a good job dispelling myths about the safety and efficacy of the vaccines, mRNA and what it does (and doesn't do), etc.

Many other large, respected medical centers have also signed on to promote the initiative, including Mass General, Emory Healthcare, Northwestern Medicine, University of Chicago Medicine, Yale New Haven Health and others. The initiative is also getting support from many local/regional systems, like ThedaCare and Essentia Health.

I'm not expecting a dramatic shift, but hopefully this can move the needle a bit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:36:24 PM by GooooMarquette »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2418 on: April 21, 2021, 03:27:08 PM »
Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic have partnered in an initiative to (hopefully) address COVID vaccine hesitancy.

https://ourshot2savelives.org

It does a good job dispelling myths about the safety and efficacy of the vaccines, mRNA and what it does (and doesn't do), etc.

Many other large, respected medical centers have also signed on to promote the initiative, including Mass General, Emory Healthcare, Northwestern Medicine, University of Chicago Medicine, Yale New Haven Health and others. The initiative is also getting support from many local/regional systems, like ThedaCare and Essentia Health.

I'm not expecting a dramatic shift, but hopefully this can move the needle a bit.

They should get Donald Trump to cut television commercials in red states urging people to get shots.  Take all the credit.  Call it the China virus.  Whatever. 

This website's not going to do it.  Rational arguments don't really help change the minds of anti-intellectual morons.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2419 on: April 21, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »

They should get Donald Trump to cut television commercials in red states urging people to get shots.  Take all the credit.  Call it the China virus.  Whatever. 

This website's not going to do it.  Rational arguments don't really help change the minds of anti-intellectual morons.

I totally agree that this isn’t going to eliminate the crazies who view this as political, and I said in my post that I’m not expecting a dramatic shift.

But there are still some people raising scientific questions, and these institutions are doing what they can. If this effort even gets the overall numbers up 1 or 2%, it will have been more than worth it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2420 on: April 21, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
But there are still some people raising scientific questions, and these institutions are doing what they can. If this effort even gets the overall numbers up 1 or 2%, it will have been more than worth it.

I certainly know some that are hesitant due to the EUA status.  Full approval might sway them (since apparently 134M individuals being OK with a shot hasn't).  There's still a bunch of "the virus isn't that dangerous healthy individuals younger than 70", and I'm not sure how you ever get through to those people. 

Then again, once it gets full approval, the military and government organizations can mandate it (as they do other vaccines).  That will bump numbers up a bit.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2421 on: April 21, 2021, 04:17:53 PM »
I certainly know some that are hesitant due to the EUA status.  Full approval might sway them (since apparently 134M individuals being OK with a shot hasn't).  There's still a bunch of "the virus isn't that dangerous healthy individuals younger than 70", and I'm not sure how you ever get through to those people. 

Then again, once it gets full approval, the military and government organizations can mandate it (as they do other vaccines).  That will bump numbers up a bit.

Absolutely agree there are other things that would have a bigger impact than this. Full FDA approval would be HUGE, and adoption of vaccine passports or a PSA by Covfefe would be big as well.

Just pointing out that these institutions are doing what they can. Every little bit.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2422 on: April 21, 2021, 05:38:21 PM »
Operation warp speed success! Yah capitalism!

Trump administration awarded a firm $1.3 billion to make Covid vaccine syringes. Where are the syringes?
 A year after a Connecticut company was awarded almost $1.3 billion in federal loans and contracts to supply an essential syringe for the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, no syringes have been made. The syringe hasn't received even the first of a series of approvals it needs from the federal government before it can be manufactured, and a factory promising 650 jobs remains unbuilt.

ApiJect Systems Corp. positioned itself as the company that would make the difference between a stumbling rollout and delivery of lifesaving vaccines. But as the U.S. vaccine rollout hits full stride, with about half of adults in the U.S. having already received at least one injection, the need for ApiJect's device has waned, leaving the contracts and loans in question.

ApiJect's plant is supposed to be built in an industrial park in North Carolina, but Morgan Weston, a spokesperson for the foundation that runs the park, said that the plant hasn't been built and that "they have not moved their operation in on any level."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1263872

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2423 on: April 21, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »
ApiJect Systems Corp. meet Foxconn.

The only ingredient necessary is a republican stooge ready to screw taxpayers. (Hint: that is a very long line.)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2424 on: April 21, 2021, 08:03:54 PM »
We kinda knew that some of this was going to happen with warp speed.  And probably would have happened regardless of who was president at the time.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback