'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence game thread  (Read 17452 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Providence game thread
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
According to rpiforecast MU's RPI up to 9

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »
I know Blue played terrible on offense, but when he played he was on Council.  Council shot 2 for 13 tonight and that was an important factor in the game.  

Blue played 14 minutes to Council's 39...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
Crappy on offense, great d.  

Hope this analogy works.....great short stop....
Vaccums cleaner.  Any baseball team would take that.  See Don Kessinger's career.
I don't know...2/3 FGs, 1/2 FTs, 5 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 TO in 14 minutes

That's not great but I don't know that it's terrible.  He played within himself which is what we need from him.  

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
Jamail was the only player not to see the court.
Three straight games.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51396/jamail-jones

Hope he's working his way out of the doghouse.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »
Providence didn't have anyone else to put in........
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Typically when a guy doesn't see the floor for an extended period of time there is a reason....we've seen this before.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »
Jamail was the only player not to see the court.
Three straight games.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/51396/jamail-jones

Hope he's working his way out of the doghouse.

Not with him shooting 33%, 17% on threes and 20% on free throws.  Anderson has made his way past him.  Jones is now at end of bench talking to Jake Thomas and will probably be there awhile.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:55 PM »
Probably just till the end of the season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »

Yup.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2012, 09:19:57 PM »

I see what you did there.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
Well, it looks like Jones has taken Williams' spot for the player that never sees playing time. Mello seemed to have a great attitude in the Marquette basketball hour radio show about a month ago, but if his playing time stays this limited I wonder if he'll follow Williams out the door when the season is over.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »
Well, it looks like Jones has taken Williams' spot for the player that never sees playing time. Mello seemed to have a great attitude in the Marquette basketball hour radio show about a month ago, but if his playing time stays this limited I wonder if he'll follow Williams out the door when the season is over.
I just got in the door and read through the game thread...knew the Warriors won but didn't see much of the game.  My thought about Mello is, is this how Buzz will free up a scolly?  Coach's decision-DNP for a few games? 

just a thought....not trying to stir up anything.  Makes me wonder, but great win for the Warriors.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2012, 11:49:57 PM »
I just got in the door and read through the game thread...knew the Warriors won but didn't see much of the game.  My thought about Mello is, is this how Buzz will free up a scolly?  Coach's decision-DNP for a few games? 

just a thought....not trying to stir up anything.  Makes me wonder, but great win for the Warriors.

He's not playing because he isn't on the level as the rest of the team. He's lost on defense and has completely lost his shot.

Juan looked better tonight than Jamail's MU career highlight reel looks like.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
whose  minutes should he have taken tonight?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mviale

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2012, 12:27:33 AM »
I feel like jamil is gonna have a huge breakout season next year.
like Wilson getting more minutes.  Gardner and Wilson have huge upside
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Norm

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »
whose  minutes should he have taken tonight?
But that's the problem right there - he never gets any playing time on a consistent basis to see if he should be taking time from anyone. The most minutes he played all season was the opening game and that was also his best statistical game. I watched the Duke game today and watched Austin Rivers play pretty well (even though Duke lost at the buzzer). I remember watching Jones go off against Rivers on national TV in high school and being excited that Jones was actually coming to MU. Then, since he's been here, he rarely plays, and when he does get in, seems to have no confidence on his shot. Jones has collected 4 DNPs in the 7 Big East games this season, and has played a grand total of 15 minutes in the 3 games he got in, with a minute, here, a minute there, and playing no longer than 3 minutes straight in any game. How is any player supposed to develop with that limited playing time?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2012, 01:12:10 AM »
But that's the problem right there - he never gets any playing time on a consistent basis to see if he should be taking time from anyone. The most minutes he played all season was the opening game and that was also his best statistical game. I watched the Duke game today and watched Austin Rivers play pretty well (even though Duke lost at the buzzer). I remember watching Jones go off against Rivers on national TV in high school and being excited that Jones was actually coming to MU. Then, since he's been here, he rarely plays, and when he does get in, seems to have no confidence on his shot. Jones has collected 4 DNPs in the 7 Big East games this season, and has played a grand total of 15 minutes in the 3 games he got in, with a minute, here, a minute there, and playing no longer than 3 minutes straight in any game. How is any player supposed to develop with that limited playing time?

Playing time isn't earned in the game. Practice is where it happens.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2012, 01:17:04 AM »
Playing time isn't earned in the game. Practice is where it happens.
According to Buzz, Mello is one of the hardest workers on the team and has a great attitude. He just doesn't play.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2012, 08:02:12 AM »
According to Buzz, Mello is one of the hardest workers on the team and has a great attitude. He just doesn't play.

He may work hard.  He may have a great attitude.  He just may not be able to play basketball at this level.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2012, 08:34:03 AM »

Just because Mello is one of the hardest workers on the team doesn't mean he's actually got the defense down. We don't know what he looks like in practice other than Buzz saying he's a hard worker. This team is built on defense, which in turn generates the offense. If Mello can't play defense, he shouldn't be on the court.

That said, Juan Anderson last night looked really good on both offense and defense. However I was really impressed with his rebounding skills. Every time a shot went up he got position on his guy, boxed him up, and had a legit shot for the board. While long athletic teams still worry me with this MU squad, having Anderson continue to develop and build confidence will be critical to beating those kinds of teams.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »
I really enjoyed the lineup down the stretch that had Jamil, Jae, and Gardner on the court at the same time.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
Buzz also said E Will was his hardst working guy. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »
He may work hard.  He may have a great attitude.  He just may not be able to play basketball at this level.

Exactly. Let's not be naive and think so long as you work hard in practice you'll be given a chance to play.

The best talent will play regardless of practice work ethic. And that's just fine.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »
Maybe its just me, but I think Jones has been ok on the defensive side this season when he does get some playing time. He's stepped up his rebounding and has had some nice assists too. He's just lost touch on his shot, and its probably all mental. I'd also buy the argument about defense earning you playing time if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of the guys who play a ton make numerous mistakes on D and still continue to play.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »
Maybe its just me, but I think Jones has been ok on the defensive side this season when he does get some playing time. He's stepped up his rebounding and has had some nice assists too. He's just lost touch on his shot, and its probably all mental. I'd also buy the argument about defense earning you playing time if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of the guys who play a ton make numerous mistakes on D and still continue to play.

The only players who make mistakes on defense and still play are those who can score.  I guess I don't know what you are trying to imply.  If Buzz thought he could contribute, he'd play right?  Why would he keep him on the bench?