[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bo Jackson/Best Atlhletes Ever  (Read 1620 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Bo Jackson/Best Atlhletes Ever
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 01:31:26 PM »
While not the physical specimen as a lot of these guys, Charlie Ward doesn't get nearly enough love.  Won the Heisman Trophy in 1992 and had a pretty darn successful NBA career for more than a decade, including being an important piece on the successful mid-90s Knicks.

Agreed, probably would have had a good shot at QB in modern times considering the stature many are coming out at now (Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, Caleb Williams) and the premium placed on mobility. Was a really smart player in both sports too

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 01:39:10 PM »
Willie Gault.  Sprinter, Olympic bob sledder, NFL WR.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2024, 02:04:22 PM »
Carl Lewis. Sprinter, Long jumper, Singer. :D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2024, 02:10:35 PM »
There's a difference between "best" athletes and "most accomplished" or "most successful" athletes.

The first eliminates golfers, 99% of baseball players, and others from sports requiring less pure athleticism to succeed. Babe Ruth was obviously not one of the best athletes, but he also obviously was one of the most accomplished/successful athletes.

The way I understand the OP is to discuss the Bo Jackson types who were "best" athletes - so good that they were (or could have been) standouts in numerous sports.

And so I'll repeat: Jim Brown.

Many long-time observers still insist he was not only the best RB ever but the best football player ever. He also was a two-time lacrosse All-American who has been enshrined in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame, and he lettered in both basketball and track at Syracuse.

So in Jim Brown, you have not only a "best" athlete (a man with incredible athletic ability) but also a "most accomplished" one (an athlete whose ability let him excel in numerous sports).

And unlike many football players from his era, he would not have been too small to compete in other eras, including the current one. He was listed at 6-2, 232.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone could come up with a few others who could challenge Brown's all-around excellence as an athlete, but how many were/are legitimately better?

Not just "so-and-so could have been great at football and track," too ... but an athlete who actually WAS great at numerous athletic pursuits?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2024, 02:25:32 PM »
Sick flex, Ners.

I'm no where near the athlete as Ners. I mean, he regularly dunked in pick up games in the rec center.

And I know it likely came across as a flea, but the reality was/is I was an above average athlete, but there were better athletes than me in high school, and far far better athletes in college.

What sets these dominant sport athletes apart is their skillsets, and in the case of basketball (and football), maintaining good athletic ability at unusual sizes.

People always underestimate how skilled they are. Watch a video of Shaq ball handling (he might be a bad ball handler by NBA standards, but he had tremendous skills), or go watch any even "bad" college/NBA shooter shoot around. Bad shooters are better than 99% of your rec center type players.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2024, 02:28:31 PM »

The first eliminates golfers, 99% of baseball players, and others from sports requiring less pure athleticism to succeed.

As John Kruk once said, "I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player!"

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2024, 02:29:27 PM »
There's a difference between "best" athletes and "most accomplished" or "most successful" athletes.

The first eliminates golfers, 99% of baseball players, and others from sports requiring less pure athleticism to succeed. Babe Ruth was obviously not one of the best athletes, but he also obviously was one of the most accomplished/successful athletes.

The way I understand the OP is to discuss the Bo Jackson types who were "best" athletes - so good that they were (or could have been) standouts in numerous sports.

Many long-time observers still insist he was not only the best RB ever but the best football player ever. He also was a two-time lacrosse All-American who has been enshrined in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame, and he lettered in both basketball and track at Syracuse.

So in Jim Brown, you have not only a "best" athlete (a man with incredible athletic ability) but also a "most accomplished" one (an athlete whose ability let him excel in numerous sports).

And unlike many football players from his era, he would not have been too small to compete in other eras, including the current one. He was listed at 6-2, 232.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone could come up with a few others who could challenge Brown's all-around excellence as an athlete, but how many were/are legitimately better?

Not just "so-and-so could have been great at football and track," too ... but an athlete who actually WAS great at numerous athletic pursuits?
I would put Wilt up there as well.
https://youtu.be/1WsCtyLGg1w

Edit: Wilt played pro volleyball for the Southern California Bangers. Sometimes the jokes just write themselves
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 03:34:37 PM by lawdog77 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2024, 03:21:36 PM »
Curt Hennig.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2024, 03:28:00 PM »
They’re no where close to Bo or Deion but Julius Peppers and Donavan McNabb both played college hoops. I think they were both rotation guys too, not bench warmers

Peppers was, he had a big game in the NCAA tourney and was their high scorer I believe.  But McNabb played in only like 15 games over 2 seasons at Cuse, never averaged more than 5-6 min, he was definitely not in the rotation.

Nadal probably could have played pro soccer and golf. 

Stop.  He was talked as a "promising soccer player" before he was a teen which just means he was one of the better players in his peer group at that age.  The difference between that and being even a low level pro is IMMENSE.   He wasn't even a high level academy player.  For example, in his marquee sport, I had a family friend who was a top ranked tennis player in the Midwest during his pre-teens (10-12).  He ended up walking on at a lower level D1 tennis program. And golf?  Come on.  I know he's your guy but easy there  8-)

I'm not the biggest fan of the guy, but Jim Brown would be my pick as well.  And he likely could have been a great boxer as his off the field affinities and activities suggest...

Speaking of the man who opened the thread, Ive met Bo twice, he is/was business partners with a family that a friend of mine married into.   I just remember thinking when I met him, even in his 50s, he was such a physical specimen it was staggering and almost took me aback, and I was close friends with a number of higher level D1 football players in my college days.  Bo is also an insanely friendly and humble dude.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2024, 05:32:08 PM »
Seems a lot harder to be a multi sport athlete these days than the old days, I tend to let that play into my calculus on the subject. I also value those who played more than one sport closer to the modern era. Bo Jackson is up there for me. Lebron didn’t continue football into college but he was a terror on the field.

If we are talking excelling at sports that are quite different from each other, Jim brown and Babe Zaharias go across the spectrum. But the level of talent in their sports is so much deeper now who knows what would happen in modern day.

Bo Jackson might have been into Esports

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 05:34:39 PM by Plaque Lives Matter! »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2024, 06:45:57 PM »
Seems a lot harder to be a multi sport athlete these days than the old days, I tend to let that play into my calculus on the subject. I also value those who played more than one sport closer to the modern era. Bo Jackson is up there for me. Lebron didn’t continue football into college but he was a terror on the field.

If we are talking excelling at sports that are quite different from each other, Jim brown and Babe Zaharias go across the spectrum. But the level of talent in their sports is so much deeper now who knows what would happen in modern day.

Bo Jackson might have been into Esports

I agree with your overall point, but Bo grew up in smaller town central Alabama.  A freak athlete there is always gonna be a football player, even now

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2024, 06:52:52 PM »

Don't forget women beater and rapist in those pursuits.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2024, 06:57:14 PM »

Unfortunately there are a higher number of these in our “GOAT” discussions than we’d like to admit (Kobe, Malone, Ronaldo, etc)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2024, 09:11:12 PM »

Jim Brown is in the GOAT discussion for two sports, Football and Lacrosse . He was so formidable in Lacrosse they had to change the rules of the sport because of him.  Brown was also a very strong track athlete (placed well in AAU Decathlon which speaks to his overall athleticism )  and was a collegiate basketball player at Syracuse averaging 13.1 per game and was drafted by the NBA.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2024, 08:08:10 AM »

By most accounts, he was a reprehensible human being. Also quite possibly the greatest athlete ever.

Classic case of two things being true.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2024, 08:25:24 AM »

MU1in77

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2024, 11:16:30 AM »
Bosworth.

While watching the college football championship game my bride informed that Bosworth was the sheriff in the Dr Pepper “Fansville” commercials. All these years of seeing those commercials and I never recognized him.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2024, 11:27:26 AM »
By most accounts, he was a reprehensible human being. Also quite possibly the greatest athlete ever.

Classic case of two things being true.

Yes. He was the "greatest" in those pursuits too! His shot put of his girlfriend off a two story balcony was a record never to be broken (just her bones).

Do you rewatch Harvey Weinstein movies and Bill Cosby reruns too?  Jim Brown should never be on any serious "GOAT" list.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2024, 11:33:46 AM »
While watching the college football championship game my bride informed that Bosworth was the sheriff in the Dr Pepper “Fansville” commercials. All these years of seeing those commercials and I never recognized him.

What? I absolutely love those commercials but had no idea that was the Boz.

BTW this is hilarious...though a little long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9QvLl6cVRg
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2024, 11:35:57 AM »
Tony Mandarich.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2024, 11:38:20 AM »
Not saying the greatest but Steve Nash has to be in the conversation given his soccer skills along with basketball.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2024, 11:49:11 AM »
Tony Mandarich.

George Perles bringing the Steelers steroid program to East Lansing for them a Rose Bowl and a few NFL teams some bad draft picks like Mandarich and Percy Snow
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2024, 01:09:58 PM »
Yes. He was the "greatest" in those pursuits too! His shot put of his girlfriend off a two story balcony was a record never to be broken (just her bones).

Do you rewatch Harvey Weinstein movies and Bill Cosby reruns too?  Jim Brown should never be on any serious "GOAT" list.

Well, there's a take.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2024, 02:31:43 PM »
Marv Marinovich texted me to say that Todd should be on this list

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2024, 03:03:55 PM »

Two things can be true about a person at once.

Tyreek hill, Peyton manning, ray lewis, Jason Kidd, Kobe… the list goes on and on for hall of famers. Greatest of all time is in reference to athleticism. If you want to include off the field parts of that too, well that’s up to you. But that’s not what this discussion was about.

Obviously there’s a degree of severity to who I listed above but you get the point.