[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twins trade Gomez to Brewers for JJ Hardy  (Read 12884 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Twins trade Gomez to Brewers for JJ Hardy
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
I like this trade (as a Minnesota fan) and I think Milwaukee fans might as well.  Any insight from Milwaukee people -- as to what the hell Hardy's problem(s) have been lately?  Power at shortstop and the Minnesota Twins are not a normal combination. 

We've got Delmon Young, Denard Span and Cuddyer in the outfield, with Kubel as well... Gomez was expendable (although some would have voted for Young to be gone - but I like the guy's abilities).  Go Go is fast and can get to balls in the outfield... but, what a knucklehead most of the time.  I hope he does well in Milwaukee.  Fun player, but frustrating.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Twins trade Gomez to Brewers for JJ Hardy
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
It sounds like Gomez has high potential but has yet to live up to that potential.  It almost seems like both Hardy and Gomez have been underachieving recently and it might be the best thing for them just to be in a new setting and to get regular playing time.  I like the moves for the Brewers because it gives us some speed both in the outfield to get to balls and on the basepaths.  If he can find it at the plate he may be the perfect fit for what this team needs...a guy who will hit for average and wreak havoc on the bases.

As far as JJ Hardy goes, he has a great glove and a great arm, but below average range at shortstop.  If he can get to the ball it's as good as an out.  Offensively he is one of the most streaky hitters that I have ever seen.  The 2 seasons before this one, he would have half of a season where he was one of the best offensive players in baseball, and then half of a season where he would hit .195.  Last year he just had a full season of the bad.  If he can be consistent at the plate he is a very good player.  He won't steal any bases or stretch any singles into doubles like the Twins like to do, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LON

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:59:27 AM »
As Wades alluded to Hardy will go off on a tear for 20 games and then his at-bats get uglier than Steve Phillips' girl for 20 games...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 12:03:40 PM »
I like the trade for many of the reasons suggested - fills needs for both teams and gets both players into new situations.

However, while I'm not a huge fan of Mike Cameron, the Brewers just got even more younger.  It would be nice if they could bring in someone with a little more experience.

groove

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:06:34 PM »
The move also frees up about $14mil for the brewers (assuming Cameron is now gone), which i assume they will use in trying to get more starting pitching.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
And the STD rate in Milwaukee just went down by 1. Tell the women in the TC to make JJ wrap it up.

JJ = Awesome Arm, Average Glove, Below Average Range. Hits like Pedro Cereno. Straight ball he hit berry berry well, but curve ball, bats afraid.

I like that this cleared up $14+ Million off the payroll.
But I like to throw handfuls...

LON

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:31:48 PM »
Bring back Counsell and Frankie Cat for veteran leadership

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
Bring back Counsell and Frankie Cat for veteran leadership

Leadership, what kind of leadership did Cat provide, besides the weird 80's song he came out to.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
Leadership, what kind of leadership did Cat provide, besides the weird 80's song he came out to.

Ok, bring back Counsell for leadership, bring back Cat just for that awesome intro music.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »

a guy who will hit for average and wreak havoc on the bases.

Gomez will never be that guy, but he can be a guy who plays gold glove centerfield and possibly bats .260 with a ton of speed on the bases. I just don't think he has the patience to hit for average.

For his salary (cheap young talent), he's a pretty good player... but I'm afraid that he's never going to be a professional hitter. He's never shown it at any level, so I don't know if he'll suddenly "figure it out" as they say.

With this said, he's very fun to watch and he's make the pitching staff better immediately with his defense. I think he's a big improvement over Cameron.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
I strongly dislike this trade... that is to say I hate it.  

Gomez is worse than Cameron in every batting category and behind as a fielder.  The only positives are that they don't pay Cameron this year (hopefully?) and that Gomez is young and may benefit from Willie Randolph.

JJ Hardy had a bad year this year, but he has also had good years.  Gomez, not so much.

Now that Melvin has the money he needs to go out and get 2 great pitchers... which will be impossible since there aren't GREAT pitchers available.  He needs to decline Looper and Kendall's option and cut ties.

I am very disappointed and I feel like the Brewers are just trying to play status quo while they wait for the pitching prospects (wait, which pitching prospects?) to come up from Single A Brevard (Oh wait, Rodgers has gotten shelled in the AFL his last 3 starts... so much for our best pitching prospect!) to restock.  At which point Fielder will be in NYC with a bursting piggy bank and the Brewers will be... well... the Brewers we have seen for the last 10 years.

god dammit.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:31:34 PM by Hards_Alumni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
Gomez will never be that guy, but he can be a guy who plays gold glove centerfield and possibly bats .260 with a ton of speed on the bases. I just don't think he has the patience to hit for average.

For his salary (cheap young talent), he's a pretty good player... but I'm afraid that he's never going to be a professional hitter. He's never shown it at any level, so I don't know if he'll suddenly "figure it out" as they say.

With this said, he's very fun to watch and he's make the pitching staff better immediately with his defense. I think he's a big improvement over Cameron.

perhaps you missed all of the great catches Cam had in Center the last 10 years... you know, while he won gold gloves.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
gomez is better in center than cameron, but not by much.  both are the best at their crafts.  gomez is a project at the plate where cameron will crank out 20-25 HRs/yr.

this trade makes sense with the brewers two ways.  biggest one:  they save a ton of cash.  secondly, they dont lose an edge on the defensive side in CF.  you need solid IF and CF to help out young/questionable pitching.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
gomez is better in center than cameron, but not by much.  both are the best at their crafts.  gomez is a project at the plate where cameron will crank out 20-25 HRs/yr.

this trade makes sense with the brewers two ways.  biggest one:  they save a ton of cash.  secondly, they dont lose an edge on the defensive side in CF.  you need solid IF and CF to help out young/questionable pitching.

so, you really think the Brewers would have resigned Mike Cameron to another $10 million per year contract?

seriously, you think that?

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »
so, you really think the Brewers would have resigned Mike Cameron to another $10 million per year contract?

seriously, you think that?

what says they wouldnt have offered him say one year for 8mil?  they sure werent going to start gerut out there with no other options...seriously

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
What a horrible deal for the Brewers.  Sure they had to move Hardy but why fall for a crap 'toolsy' outfielder who will never end up up doing much in the majors?  The Twins foolishly fell for Gomez in that awful Santana deal  -- but to find another suitor who craved him after the season he just had is insane.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 01:34:39 PM »
What a horrible deal for the Brewers.  Sure they had to move Hardy but why fall for a crap 'toolsy' outfielder who will never end up up doing much in the majors?  The Twins foolishly fell for Gomez in that awful Santana deal  -- but to find another suitor who craved him after the season he just had is insane.

according to melvin this deal was more attractive then any pitching he was offered which makes sense.  who is going to cough up significant pitching for a guy you know is going to be moved?  whats debatable is if adding gamel or hart to the deal to try and get a quality arm was or should have been attempted.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »
Lopez and Cam are both Type B Free Agents...meaning the compensation is less, should they decline the arbitration and go elsewhere. Today, Melvin said this trade means they ill not puruse resigning Cam. Lopez is the epitome of clubhouse cancers. Everyone hates him. It usually takes awhile for him to wear out his welcome...not in MIL though...they are already tired of his shtick.

I am a bit puzzled by this move, at least the timing of it. It is very early in the offseason, and I am just surpised that Melvin didnt want to wait to see how things played out.  It was clear that Hardy was going to get traded as soon as they sent him down. I just expected him to be used in a trade for  SP, not an underachieving OF with a .292 carrer OBP.  Hardy was their most tradable asset this offseason, and this is just not what I expected the Brewers to get for him.

In the end, there is always more to every story, beyond what is released to the media. I am confident that Melvin did his due dilliegence and determined that this was the best offer he was going to get for Hardy.  

According to Hardicourt, He said today, "...Melvin said he did explore pitching possibilities with other clubs in exchange for Hardy but wasn't offered anything tempting enough to turn down the Gomez deal."

The FA ptching market is very thin, with John Lackey leading the way. He is likely to get the Suppan treatment from some team...a big contract for a pitcher who doesnt deserve it.  I recently saw that the Dodgers declined the option on John Garland, so he is a possiblity.  As with free agency in any sport, the market sets the price, and players are usually paid more than they are worth...ESPECIALLY with Starting Pitchers.  We shall see....

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 01:37:16 PM »
according to melvin this deal was more attractive then any pitching he was offered which makes sense.  who is going to cough up significant pitching for a guy you know is going to be moved?  whats debatable is if adding gamel or hart to the deal to try and get a quality arm was or should have been attempted.

Pitchers and catchers report in 105 days.  Nothing better might emerge in 105 days?  This was the best Melvin could do to fill CF and move Hardy?  sigh
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:40:48 PM by NYWarrior »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »
perhaps you missed all of the great catches Cam had in Center the last 10 years... you know, while he won gold gloves.

Cameron was a great outfielder. No doubt.

But, he won a total of 3 gold gloves (impressive, but not HOF), and doesn't have the same range anymore.

Not many 37 year old CF's with a lot of range out there.

If you want to talk specifically about "great catches", Gomez was one of the tops in the league in Web Gems while getting limited playing time.

Trust me, you will love Gomez's fielding. His hitting will make you cringe, but his fielding is awesome.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »
Pitchers and catchers report in 105 days.  This was the best Melvin could do to fill CF and move Hardy?  sigh

Pitching, CF and C all needed to be addressed.  If Melvin wasnt going to get quality pitching, but could cross one of those off with a young player with upside who plays solid defense and move on - why not do it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
according to melvin this deal was more attractive then any pitching he was offered which makes sense.  who is going to cough up significant pitching for a guy you know is going to be moved?  whats debatable is if adding gamel or hart to the deal to try and get a quality arm was or should have been attempted.

according to Melvin the Brewers pitching last year was going to be pretty good.

we are talking about a man who signed Suppan to a straight retarded contract, and then turned around and gave Looper (a 5 at best) a contract of a 3rd starter!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
Pitching, CF and C all needed to be addressed.  If Melvin wasnt going to get quality pitching, but could cross one of those off with a young player with upside who plays solid defense and move on - why not do it.

That'd be fine if he traded for a CF with upside.  Gomez sucks....OPB of .290, horrible adjusted OPS with huge strikeout rates.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gomezca01.shtml

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »
Gomez is headed to quadruple A now...that will all go up.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 01:48:54 PM »
according to Melvin the Brewers pitching last year was going to be pretty good.

we are talking about a man who signed Suppan to a straight retarded contract, and then turned around and gave Looper (a 5 at best) a contract of a 3rd starter!

The Jeff Suppan signing had as much to do with Mark A., as it did with Doug Melvin. Thats the problem with acquiring Starting Pitchers via Free Agency...you are ALWAYS going to overpay.  Just wait until John Lackey starts getting offers...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
Cameron was a great outfielder. No doubt.

But, he won a total of 3 gold gloves (impressive, but not HOF), and doesn't have the same range anymore.

Not many 37 year old CF's with a lot of range out there.

If you want to talk specifically about "great catches", Gomez was one of the tops in the league in Web Gems while getting limited playing time.

Trust me, you will love Gomez's fielding. His hitting will make you cringe, but his fielding is awesome.

I forgot, they hand out Gold Gloves like candy canes in December.  Are you seriously making this argument?

Cameron hasn't really slowed down in center.  He made PLENTY of great catches last year, and you are basing your argument on his age alone.

On the other hand, I actually watched 75% of the Brewers games and attended 10 despite living 80 miles away... I'd say I had a better look at him, and he hadn't "slowed down."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »

A "toolsy" outfielder is pretty much all JJ is worth after last season.

LON

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »
Will Gomez strike out as much as Cameron?  I couldn't care less about the HRs aspect, we rely too much on the HR ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
Will Gomez strike out as much as Cameron?  I couldn't care less about the HRs aspect, we rely too much on the HR ball.

more probably.

JJ Hardy has had more than one good year.  I don't understand why everyone thinks he is a bad player.  Does he have his faults?  Yes.  Is he worth more than what the Brewers got for him?  Absolutely.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Defensively, Gomez is a great CF.  Offensively, not so much.  But, the Brewers were good offensively last year and if Weeks comes back healthy (no guarantee after that injury) he can make up for the loss of Cameron offensively.

Meaning, the Brewers lose nothing defensively.  They won't take too much of a hit offensively (again, if Weeks is healthy and lives up to the start he had last year).  Gained some financial room to sign pitchers.  And, added a player that plays what is typically described as NL baseball (bunts, steals, taking extra bases where possible).  Whether Macha decides to use Gomez properly is another question.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 02:04:12 PM »
I forgot, they hand out Gold Gloves like candy canes in December.  Are you seriously making this argument?

Cameron hasn't really slowed down in center.  He made PLENTY of great catches last year, and you are basing your argument on his age alone.

On the other hand, I actually watched 75% of the Brewers games and attended 10 despite living 80 miles away... I'd say I had a better look at him, and he hadn't "slowed down."

I think you will be impressed with Gomez's range and arm in CF.  

If you don't believe me, look up their defensive stats on baseball reference.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but they will give you a better idea on how good Gomez can be, because it doesn't seem like you have seen him play much.

For the record, I never said Cameron was bad, it's just that Gomez is 6'4" and one of the fastest guys in the league. He's a rare combination of athletic ability that allows him to be a great CF.

For whatever reason, you seem to think I'm saying Cameron sucks, and I don't think that at all. Cameron was/is a good fielder... but Gomez is young and fearless and saves runs in the OF.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
I think you will be impressed with Gomez's range and arm in CF.  

If you don't believe me, look up their defensive stats on baseball reference.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but they will give you a better idea on how good Gomez can be, because it doesn't seem like you have seen him play much.

For the record, I never said Cameron was bad, it's just that Gomez is 6'4" and one of the fastest guys in the league. He's a rare combination of athletic ability that allows him to be a great CF.

For whatever reason, you seem to think I'm saying Cameron sucks, and I don't think that at all. Cameron was/is a good fielder... but Gomez is young and fearless and saves runs in the OF.

The only thing I am saying is that it isn't going to be the drastic change in center field defense that you think it is.  I never implied that Gomez isn't good in the OF.  I said that him and Cameron are about equal.

This leads me to believe that you are implying that they are NOT about equal in terms of defense.

I am not even arguing that they should have resigned Cameron (They shouldn't have).  But to pretend that Gomez is going to be this huge upgrade over last year (as if that was even the Brewer's problem?) is a joke.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
The only thing I am saying is that it isn't going to be the drastic change in center field defense that you think it is.  I never implied that Gomez isn't good in the OF.  I said that him and Cameron are about equal.

This leads me to believe that you are implying that they are NOT about equal in terms of defense.

I am not even arguing that they should have resigned Cameron (They shouldn't have).  But to pretend that Gomez is going to be this huge upgrade over last year (as if that was even the Brewer's problem?) is a joke.

Cameron is still good. Gomez is better.

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

You can disagree now, but let's revisit this thread in September of 2010 and let me know what you think.

I think you will be very impressed. Trust me.

Here's an visual example of his range, timing, size and athleticism. Nobody out there has his combo of size and speed right now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6631165

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5457501   

Here's the statistical example of his range.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gomezca01-field.shtml

vs Cameron

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/camermi01-field.shtml
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:33:45 PM by 2002mualum »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »
Cameron is still good. Gomez is better.

That is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

You can disagree now, but let's revisit this thread in September of 2010 and let me know what you think.

I think you will be very impressed. Trust me.

Here's an visual example of his range, timing, size and athleticism. Nobody out there has his combo of size and speed right now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6631165

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5457501   

Here's the statistical example of his range.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gomezca01-field.shtml

vs Cameron

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/camermi01-field.shtml

cool stats.  but they don't really show much.

As I have stated, they are pretty comparable on defense, and Gomez is younger.  Those are the only positives.

Gomez is an offensive downgrade, and a personality downgrade.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
If you haven't seen him play much, you'll be impressed on some balls Gomez gets to in the field.  Comparing his defensive abilities in 2010 to Cameron - it's no contest, Gomez wins.  Go Go can be an extremely exciting player.  Now, you'll be lucky if he hits .270 (which would equate to about a .300 OBP for him) while striking out 'only' once every 5 at bats, but he's only 23... who knows.  There is a lot of talent there and a tremendous amount of speed, but I don't know that he can figure things out at this level.  

A headline from the St. Paul paper: "Twins tell clueless Gomez to run past third, keep going to Milwaukee"

Brewers fans can think of the trade this way: you just got the crown jewel of the Johan Santana trade!

JJ for comeback player of the year!!  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
cool stats.  but they don't really show much.

As I have stated, they are pretty comparable on defense, and Gomez is younger.  Those are the only positives.

Gomez is an offensive downgrade, and a personality downgrade.

It sounds like you have your mind made up, and it doesn't matter what I say (ask you to wait until after you watch him play next season) or do (provide you with highlight footage and defensive stats), you already know that Gomez not much better in the field.

Great job. You win. I was wrong. Gomez is not a big upgrade on defense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »
It sounds like you have your mind made up, and it doesn't matter what I say (ask you to wait until after you watch him play next season) or do (provide you with highlight footage and defensive stats), you already know that Gomez not much better in the field.

pot meet kettle?  You didn't watch Cameron last year, so you really have no point of reference other than stats... which I looked at and they are about the same defensively... which is what I have been saying.  Just because you post a couple of highlight reels about him doesn't invalidate my point.  If you want to have a better point of reference for yourself (and perhaps want to be more open minded!) go find yourself some of Cam's 2009 highlights.  I assure you, they exist.

I have NEVER argued that Gomez is defensively inferior.  In fact, I have stated, now ad nauseum, that they are statistically comparable.

And when you realize that someone doesn't agree with you, you say things like:

which is just a nicer way of saying, "You're wrong, and I am right, like always... even if you fail to see it."

This isn't some personal thing either, but obviously we disagree quite often.  But you play a little too much devil's advocate for my taste.  I agree with you when you make good points... which you often do as well.  But I think you may be doing a little too much shooting from the hip here.

I can tell from most of your posts that you are a forum rat and really mostly just like to argue with people... well me too.  You make generalizations and back track on your conclusions more often than a politician.  Posting a link to a website doesn't make you right, though.  Sorry, I just see through your smoke and mirrors better than most here.

As usual, time is the only thing that will ever decide an argument like this.  Just so we're clear, we both get to pull out the told you so card whoever ends up right... though I doubt by then we will have forgotten about this whole thing.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
Gomez is 9.5 mil cheaper, but it's a net loss for run generation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:54:50 PM by Wareagle »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »
pot meet kettle?  You didn't watch Cameron last year, so you really have no point of reference other than stats... which I looked at and they are about the same defensively... which is what I have been saying.  Just because you post a couple of highlight reels about him doesn't invalidate my point.  If you want to have a better point of reference for yourself (and perhaps want to be more open minded!) go find yourself some of Cam's 2009 highlights.  I assure you, they exist.

I have NEVER argued that Gomez is defensively inferior.  In fact, I have stated, now ad nauseum, that they are statistically comparable.

And when you realize that someone doesn't agree with you, you say things like:

which is just a nicer way of saying, "You're wrong, and I am right, like always... even if you fail to see it."

This isn't some personal thing either, but obviously we disagree quite often.  But you play a little too much devil's advocate for my taste.  I agree with you when you make good points... which you often do as well.  But I think you may be doing a little too much shooting from the hip here.

I can tell from most of your posts that you are a forum rat and really mostly just like to argue with people... well me too.  You make generalizations and back track on your conclusions more often than a politician.  Posting a link to a website doesn't make you right, though.  Sorry, I just see through your smoke and mirrors better than most here.

As usual, time is the only thing that will ever decide an argument like this.  Just so we're clear, we both get to pull out the told you so card whoever ends up right... though I doubt by then we will have forgotten about this whole thing.

First of all, this isn't personal, I assure you.

Second, I didn't start this debate. I simply stated that Gomez was an improvement in the field, which you responded with this:

Gomez is worse than Cameron in every batting category and behind as a fielder. 

This led me to believe that you thought Cameron was as good if not better than Gomez. If that's not what you are saying, then I apologize in advance. This just a case of miscommunication.

As far as watching Cameron, you bring up a great point. However, I live in Milwaukee and see my share of Brewer games (25 or so), and also believe in the stats from baseball reference and the highlights I see on TV (many more for Gomez than for Cameron). I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on everything in baseball, but I see many Twins and Brewers games, so I have a pretty good feel for both of those teams.

As far as the rest of your post, it seems like you've been holding that in for a while, and this was your chance to gun on me. I'm not sure why you don't like my posts, but I don't mind if you choose to disagree with me or my opinions. That's what makes the world go 'round.

Oh, and as far as the "you're wrong, I'm right" thing... I only stated it that way because I'm providing you with statistical and visual evidence to support my belief, and you just shrug it off with "cool stats". If you really don't think Gomez is an improvement, feel free to provide context and support for your opinion. Telling me you watch 75 brewer games is great, but some impartial evidence would be helpful as well.

I'm definitely not above admitting when I'm wrong.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
behind as in unproven... as in didn't play a full season last year, as in doesn't have the accomplished career that someone like Cameron does.  I was equally unclear in my presentation of that.

In fact, I have not been holding it in for some time, and this certainly isn't the first time I have said anything.  I just call a spade a spade when I see it.

As I have mentioned, and you seem to ignore, the stats don't speak as loudly as you seem to think.  The stats are comparible for last year.  I guess I am just stating this for myself since you just seem to gloss over the FACT that they are about the same.  Definitely not a downgrade from a year ago, but also not really an upgrade.

I just don't like the trade.  Defense is important in CF.  I get it.  But defense isn't everything in baseball.  The loss in run production with Cameron gone and Gomez in his place is going to be significant.

As for the rest, I could go play around on Youtube for 15 minutes and find some Cameron highlights too... but that doesn't really prove or disprove my point.

If we are arguing defense alone, fine, I will give you that over the course of the next 3 years, Gomez will probably be better defensively.  But taking into account offense, there is no contest... Gomez can't bat.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:53:15 PM by Hards_Alumni »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 03:50:46 PM »
Gomez is a 9.5 mil cheaper, but it's a net loss for run generation.

It's a huge net loss for run generation.  Cameron's OPS+ the last three years is +106, just above average. Gomez is one of the very worst offensive position players in baseball with an OPS+ of 73 in the last 3 seasons (100 is league average).  He's been flat-out terrible.  

What you have to hope for is Gomez being more of an NL player who's BABIP in 2009 was anomaly.  Gomez posted a .286 BABIP this year after posting a .330 BABIP in 2008 -- yet his walk rate year-to-year improved dramatically, a very good sign for a young hitter.  With his speed (though his stolen base rate blows chunks) and now playing in a weaker league maybe he can surprise in 2010.  

Heck -- playing on natural grass at home might help ..... opposing defenses should have a tougher time taking the bunt away from him.  I'm trying to talk myself into this, but do division-winning teams send CFs out there who only deliver .246/.292/.346?  No, no they don't.

AAAA
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:00:41 PM by NYWarrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
Heck -- playing on natural grass at home might help ..... opposing defenses should have a tougher time taking the bunt away from him.  I'm trying to talk myself into this, but do division-winning teams send CFs out there who only deliver .246/.292/.346?  No, no they don't.

On a part-time basis they certainly do.  I'm pretty sure the Twins won the AL Central. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »
 On a part-time basis they certainly do.  I'm pretty sure the Twins won the AL Central.  

Thanks for proving my point......the Twins won the Central in part by sitting an albatross like Gomez.  The Centerpiece of the Santana Trade began collecting splinters more regularly at about the time the Twins surged.  Carlos Gomez commanded a grand total of 31 at bats for the entire month of September.  31 at bats in 21 games, which included 7 games where he didn't play and 5 games where he was afforded one at-bat.  In September, Gomez was responsible for 6 total bases.

Now he's the starting CF in Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:26:41 PM by NYWarrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »
Thanks for proving my point......the Twins won the Central in part by sitting an albatross like Gomez.  The Centerpiece of the Santana Trade began collecting splinters more regularly at about the time the Twins surged.  Carlos Gomez commanded a grand total of 31 at bats for the entire month of September.  31 at bats in 21 games, which included 7 games where he didn't play and 5 games where he was afforded one at-bat.  In September, Gomez was responsible for 6 total bases.

Now he's the starting CF in Milwaukee.

I guess you're forgetting about 2008 as well, when Gomez was an every day player, the Twins tied the ChiSux for first place in the AL Central [the stats you referred to were career stats].  Your comment asserted that a team can't win a division with a guy like Gomez playing for you, and that's simply not factual.  The Twins did it, twice, with the very player your comment is based on.

I doubt he's won the starting CF job in Milwaukee quite yet. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 04:58:48 PM »
  I guess you're forgetting about 2008 as well, when Gomez was an every day player, the Twins tied the ChiSox for first place in the AL Central  

There wasn't a tie, the Sox won the division by one game.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »
Of course offensive production goes down in CF with Gomez instead of Cameron.  However, offensive production can increase in other positions, i.e. 2B and C.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »

If we are arguing defense alone, fine, I will give you that over the course of the next 3 years, Gomez will probably be better defensively.  But taking into account offense, there is no contest... Gomez can't bat.

That's all I ever said.

Cameron is clearly the more gifted offensive player.

Gomez is a fantastic defensive player, and I think you will enjoy watching him play CF.

When he bats, close your eyes.

Trust me, you'll like him out in CF.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 09:02:17 AM »
That's all I ever said.

Cameron is clearly the more gifted offensive player.

Gomez is a fantastic defensive player, and I think you will enjoy watching him play CF.

When he bats, close your eyes.

Trust me, you'll like him out in CF.

but the problem is, I don't want a player on my team that I can only like half the time.

The Brewers shouldn't resign Jason Kendall for the very same reason.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
I strongly dislike this trade... that is to say I hate it.  

Gomez is worse than Cameron in every batting category and behind as a fielder.  The only positives are that they don't pay Cameron this year (hopefully?) and that Gomez is young and may benefit from Willie Randolph.

JJ Hardy had a bad year this year, but he has also had good years.  Gomez, not so much.

Now that Melvin has the money he needs to go out and get 2 great pitchers... which will be impossible since there aren't GREAT pitchers available.  He needs to decline Looper and Kendall's option and cut ties.

I am very disappointed and I feel like the Brewers are just trying to play status quo while they wait for the pitching prospects (wait, which pitching prospects?) to come up from Single A Brevard (Oh wait, Rodgers has gotten shelled in the AFL his last 3 starts... so much for our best pitching prospect!) to restock.  At which point Fielder will be in NYC with a bursting piggy bank and the Brewers will be... well... the Brewers we have seen for the last 10 years.

god dammit.

I agree.  Horrible trade for the Brewers.  Gomez might have great speed but "hits like Sh*t"  That speed won't do him any good when his onbase is below 300.  I know JJ was gone but he should have been packaged with others for a quality arm.  If the goal is to win now, then package some of your younger pitchers along with JJ and/or Hart and/or Gamel and/or Weeks and get an arm.  The FA market is horrible for pitching this year.   If we are going to sign two middling Looper type pitchers to throw in the lineup then we might as well shop Prince as we are not going to get better.

Can you imagine having a lineup of Gomez, Escobar and Kendell along with a pitcher.  Will we score any runs?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »
  I guess you're forgetting about 2008 as well, when Gomez was an every day player, the Twins tied the ChiSux for first place in the AL Central [the stats you referred to were career stats].  Your comment asserted that a team can't win a division with a guy like Gomez playing for you, and that's simply not factual.  The Twins did it, twice, with the very player your comment is based on.

I doubt he's won the starting CF job in Milwaukee quite yet. 

Yea but I would guess that the other 8 hitters in the Twins lineup overall have a better on base percentage that what the Brewers are staring it.  Easier to hide his bat in the Twins lineup and frankly probably any AL team with the DH rule.  We add him to Escobar, Hart, a pitcher and possibly Kendell.  YUCK!!!!

Gomez seems like a great 4th outfielder.  Throw him out there for defensive purposes late in games and as a pinchrunner.  The kid has NEVER hit.  At least JJ showed more than flashes of being a competent hitter.  He had very good numbers a year ago for being a ss. 

The Twins made out on this one.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »
more probably.

JJ Hardy has had more than one good year.  I don't understand why everyone thinks he is a bad player.  Does he have his faults?  Yes.  Is he worth more than what the Brewers got for him?  Absolutely.

Melvin mismanaged the whole situation and basically forced himself to have to get rid of JJ this off season.  I would have thought that Melvin would have been smart enough to maximize his value by packaging him for a decent player that can actually help us this year.  Gomez is a few years away and if we are going to wait that long, I thought Cain was our future cf.  I know he was hurt and is a year or two away but that is where Gwynn would have been helpful.  A cheap no-hitting centerfielder similar, albeit need as good defensively, to Gomez.

I hope Melvin doesn't overspend on 2 #3/4 FA pitchers that will bury us for the next 4 years.  You would think Melvin would finally learn that if you are going to spend big money on players, spend it on big time players and not average ones.   

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
but the problem is, I don't want a player on my team that I can only like half the time.

The Brewers shouldn't resign Jason Kendall for the very same reason.

You're right, that's a problem.

I'm not saying this is a great deal for the Brewers (on it's own), I'm just saying that Gomez is a special defender, and you will enjoy watching him play the field.

feedback