[Today at 05:11:05 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wes IS a Warrior  (Read 4198 times)

MUrugger

• Starter
Wes IS a Warrior
« on: October 28, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »
It hit me when I read 4Ever's post yesterday about Wes, "Great to be a Warrior," he said.  So I probably shouldn't start this...mods might whack it anyway...but to this old Warrior, Wesley Matthews, over the course of four solid years, through injury, personal challenges, even occasional disrespect...embodied the term WARRIOR.

His making the Jazz roster as an undrafted free agent further crystallizes the image.

As an alum from MU's greatest BBall era, let's call it '69 through '78 (I was in the '76 class), there is such great pride in a lasting image of MU ballers as battle tested, resilient, tough, never quit...Warriors.  (I keep seeing the Mo Lucas glare, Lloyd Walton's cocky flash, and Butch Lee's dominance.)

How does one embody "Golden Eagle"??  Even "Hilltopper"??

This is the essence of what bugs many of us about the politically correct though spineless name change in the first place.  Our name really now has no identity...nothing that really conjures up any image, much less one of a prideful, respected and feared competitor with a name to match:WARRIOR.

When I think of GE, I picture the Tall Titan avatar in that Halloween costume.  It makes me laugh, not grit my teeth, spit on the ground and look for some Domer to bash.   

I know we're not going back.  I know the times are different.  Somebody told me the "Lanche" isn't there anymore either.

I just wish my favorite college basketball team was still called the Warriors.  It makes ME feel better.

Wes is a Warrior.  I'm a Warrior...For Ever.

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Wes IS a Warrior
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:02:18 PM »
Lanche hasnt been there since the 90s.

Just be happy we aren't St. Johns.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »
It hit me when I read 4Ever's post yesterday about Wes, "Great to be a Warrior," he said.  So I probably shouldn't start this...mods might whack it anyway...but to this old Warrior, Wesley Matthews, over the course of four solid years, through injury, personal challenges, even occasional disrespect...embodied the term WARRIOR.

His making the Jazz roster as an undrafted free agent further crystallizes the image

As an alum from MU's greatest BBall era, let's call it '69 through '78 (I was in the '76 class), there is such great pride in a lasting image of MU ballers as battle tested, resilient, tough, never quit...Warriors.  (I keep seeing the Mo Lucas glare, Lloyd Walton's cocky flash, and Butch Lee's dominance.)

This is the essence of what bugs many of us about the politically correct though spineless name change in the first place.  Our name really now has no identity...nothing that really conjures up any image, much less one of a prideful, respected and feared competitor with a name to match:WARRIOR.

When I think of GE, I picture the Tall Titan avatar in that Halloween costume.  It makes me laugh, not grit my teeth, spit on the ground and look for some Domer to bash.   

I know we're not going back.  I know the times are different.  Somebody told me the "Lanche" isn't there anymore either.

I just wish my favorite college basketball team was still called the Warriors.  It makes ME feel better.

You brought a tear to my eye. I feel your pain, because I too, vividly remember Dean's grin, Luke's stare, and Butch's quiet confidence. All were led by the master, a salesman extraordinaire who delivered all he preached. As coach, he drove the bus uptown and was one of a kind.
It's sad because today's fan dismisses us as "old farts living in the past." Perhaps to a certain degree, they're right. But, no one can ever take the joy, excitement, fun, or memories of being a Marquette Warrior from us.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:32:33 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »

His making the Jazz roster as an undrafted free agent further crystallizes the image.

I just can't get that worked up over it anymore.  At one point before I had kids and a career, the name change got me all fired up.  Now?  Not so much... 

Jeez, and I don't know how long you have been away from campus, but the Lanche hasn't been there for years.

Time marches on.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
Lanche hasnt been there since the 90s.

And I think the spot where the building once stood is now "green space" a parking lot or has been consumed by the Campus Town East expansion.  I can't remember which. 
If I am thinking of the right building, as the Avalanche was before my time. 98-02.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »
I believe my apartment in Campus Town East was right above where the Lanche was.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 07:48:36 AM »
I believe my apartment in Campus Town East was right above where the Lanche was.

Do a naked beer slide across your apartment floor in rememberance.

If you haven't already done so...

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »
My original comment regarding the disappearance of the Lanche was a self-effacing comment recognizing that I'm an "old fart" simply pining for things as they used to be. 

I've never stayed away from campus for too long and I now have a junior daughter at MU that I visited last weekend.  Yeah, things look nice there, far nicer than they did when I was there.  Some things might not be better though.

Some perspective: Over the course of my four years (72-76) I don't think these prices ever changed: One shot of a well whiskey or bourbon=25 cents.  One mug of beer (don't look too hard to see how clean the glass is)= 15 cents.  Shot and a beer for $0.40.  It didn't take much.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
My original comment regarding the disappearance of the Lanche was a self-effacing comment recognizing that I'm an "old fart" simply pining for things as they used to be. 

I've never stayed away from campus for too long and I now have a junior daughter at MU that I visited last weekend.  Yeah, things look nice there, far nicer than they did when I was there.  Some things might not be better though.

Some perspective: Over the course of my four years (72-76) I don't think these prices ever changed: One shot of a well whiskey or bourbon=25 cents.  One mug of beer (don't look too hard to see how clean the glass is)= 15 cents.  Shot and a beer for $0.40.  It didn't take much.

Closest thing to that deal I've experienced in my short life of being legal to go to bars is the Prix-fix at The Nomad on Brady St.  $5 for a shot of Jameson can of PBR and a cigarette.  No 40 cents, but a darn good deal given today's prices.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

I just can't get that worked up over it anymore.  At one point before I had kids and a career, the name change got me all fired up.  Now?  Not so much... 

Jeez, and I don't know how long you have been away from campus, but the Lanche hasn't been there for years.

Time marches on.

That's exactly what they're hoping for.....time makes the memories fade away and people will just forget about it.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »

That's exactly what they're hoping for.....time makes the memories fade away and people will just forget about it.   

I know that's what they are hoping for.  But I think nickname debates are pretty silly.  If I had my choice, I would prefer "Warriors."

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »

I was there on the last night it was open and the last time it got busted for underage patrons w/ fake IDs.  I think it was March of '97 (when I was a freshman).  I remember going there after rugby practice before they were checking IDs at the door.  An idiot that lived across the hall from me at O'Donnell got his fake taken by the bouncer and got in a fight the guy.  Cops came to the lanche' for what would be the last night it was open.  I think MU owned the block and considered it a ticking time-bomb. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »
I was there on the last night it was open and the last time it got busted for underage patrons w/ fake IDs.  I think it was March of '97 (when I was a freshman).  I remember going there after rugby practice before they were checking IDs at the door.  An idiot that lived across the hall from me at O'Donnell got his fake taken by the bouncer and got in a fight the guy.  Cops came to the lanche' for what would be the last night it was open.  I think MU owned the block and considered it a ticking time-bomb. 

That's interesting because when I was there ('86-'90), they had a pretty strong rep for not letting underage drinkers in.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
Speaking of our dear departed nick name

Is anyone concerned about the campaign by Ford to wipe out Breast Cancer.  Warriors in Pink.  How disgusting and offensive could Ford get.  I imagine Native Americans are really mad about this.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 12:30:26 PM »

oh, so you're to blame, huh?  Is that what you are saying?

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 01:07:51 PM »
oh, so you're to blame, huh?  Is that what you are saying?

I was there that last night it was open, but didn't attract any attention to myself (at least I think so).  No one thought it was going to be the last night either. 
Whoever was running the Lanche at the time was doing a really bad job managing the place.  It seemed like they hired old drunk homeless guys to check IDs at the door... they would keep IDs (even from people who were of age) and charge $20 if you wanted it back.  There were a ton of fights where the cops showed up in the short time I went there.  My friend worked for MU during the summer and got all the old beer signs off the wall after it was closed... I wonder if he still has those signs.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »

How does one embody  "Hilltopper"??

Duh...

Like this.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 02:04:47 PM »
I was there that last night it was open, but didn't attract any attention to myself (at least I think so).  No one thought it was going to be the last night either. 
Whoever was running the Lanche at the time was doing a really bad job managing the place.  It seemed like they hired old drunk homeless guys to check IDs at the door... they would keep IDs (even from people who were of age) and charge $20 if you wanted it back.  There were a ton of fights where the cops showed up in the short time I went there.  My friend worked for MU during the summer and got all the old beer signs off the wall after it was closed... I wonder if he still has those signs.

I was just messing around.  As for the pay $20 to get your real ID back, I'd have threatened to call the cops.

I used my real ID down at Gametime (by the Bradley Center... its closed now) and the guy said it was fake (I was 23 at the time).  I laughed at him and there was a cop car parked across the street.  He told me to go talk to the cop if I wanted in.  So I did.  The cop asked if he was sure that he wanted me to run the ID because if he did and there was a warrant he would take me in.  I told him there was no way there was a warrant out on me... he ran it, and of course, no warrant.  The bouncer felt pretty stupid and I didn't have to pay the cover.  What was funny was that two of the girls with me had fakes and got right in.  Granted I am 27 now, but I do look like I am 17...