collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Simply, what is the biggest sport rivalry?

Bears v. Packers
10 (26.3%)
Lakers v. Celtics
0 (0%)
Yankees v. Red Sox
17 (44.7%)
Ohio State v. Michigan (football)
8 (21.1%)
UNC v. Duke (basketball)
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Biggest Sports Rivalries  (Read 2094 times)

copious1218

• All American
Biggest Sports Rivalries
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »
I was reading the Jeff Goodman article on foxsports.com regarding the Big East this year and people were arguing in the comments section about which is bigger, UNC v. Duke (basketball) or Florida v. Florida State (football).  Therefore, I decided to choose the one rivalry from each sport that I consider the biggest and pit them against each other in this poll.  While arguments can certainly be made for others, I am hoping I did not miss anything obvious. 

Disclaimer:  I do not follow hockey enough to know what the greatest rivalry is and therefore, did not include any.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Biggest Sports Rivalries
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
I think this is kind of a futile exercise because everyone's "biggest rivalry" is one they care most about.  I mean, SEC college football fans would probably argue that Alabama v. Auburn is much bigger than Ohio State v. Michigan.  To then do it across sports makes it even harder.

muphan

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »
Whats up with michigan and ohio state not on this list. This is one of the best rivalries around. esp living in the midwest

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
Wouldn't Packers vs. Vikings be more appropriate?  I don't know a Packer fan who hates the Bears more than the Vikes.  Still pales in comparison to the others I guess. 

muphan

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
oops missed that one

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
Packers Bears is more historic, Packers Vikings is more contemporary. From my experience there's a lot of mutual respect between Packers fans and Bears fans and it adds to the entire experience.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »
Sorry to go all soccer on this thread, but Celtic-Rangers and Barcelona-Real Madrid are probably bigger than everything listed above.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
If you poll people on this board Joliet Catholic vs Brother Rice is a bigger rivalry
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »
If you poll people on this board Joliet Catholic vs Brother Rice is a bigger rivalry

It's Joliet Catholic vs. Mt. Carmel