[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gophers basketball recruit Trevor Mbakwe accused of assaulting Miami woman, but  (Read 30741 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
2002, if we all sat around just waiting for facts to come in this board would be boring and cease to exist. 
My guess is he did it.  It won't take much to convince me otherwise. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
2002, if we all sat around just waiting for facts to come in this board would be boring and cease to exist. 
My guess is he did it.  It won't take much to convince me otherwise. 

I hear you, and maybe you guys are right.

Like I said, 99% of this board is speculation and opinion... I just think speculating on rebounds and assists are a lot different than bold declarations about somebody committing a crime. One speaks to a person's ability to play a game, the other speaks to a person's character.

With all of this said, the situation doesn't smell good for Trevor, I can definitely recognize that.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
I hear you, and maybe you guys are right.

Like I said, 99% of this board is speculation and opinion... I just think speculating on rebounds and assists are a lot different than bold declarations about somebody committing a crime. One speaks to a person's ability to play a game, the other speaks to a person's character.

With all of this said, the situation doesn't smell good for Trevor, I can definitely recognize that.

I can't think of a bigger waste of time then trying to stifle opinions on a message board.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
I can't think of a bigger waste of time then trying to stifle opinions on a message board.

Bitchin' about an old nickname seems like a bigger waste of time.

Kidding. Kidding.

Anyways, I'll jump off my high horse and let the Trevor speculation continue. Carry on.

ATWizJr

• All American

especially unsubstantiated opinions.

Jay Bee

• All American
Story from the Star Tribune's beat writer today... Mbakwe has got four people that will testify that he was at his apartment when the accuser says she was assaulted... trial is set for September.  It's gotta be tough to start the semester off on the right foot when you're in another state, on trial for a felony.--------------

Trevor Mbakwe, one of the top recruits in Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith's incoming class, has several witnesses who can verify that he was "in another location" when a woman says he assaulted her in April near the apartment complex they both live in, according to documents obtained by the Star Tribune today.

Mbakwe's alibi states the former Miami Dade junior college standout, who was charged with felony battery, was at his Miami apartment from 1-9 a.m. on April 3 and "could not have committed the alleged crime."

A woman told Miami police that Mbakwe punched her in the face and tried to pull down her pants before fleeing on a bicycle at 2:54 a.m. that day. The victim suffered a fractured cheekbone. She picked Mbakwe from a police photo lineup after locating the Miami Dade men's basketball roster via an Internet search.

Once his trial begins in September, Mbakwe's alibi states that defense attorney Gregory Samms will call four witnesses, including Mbakwe's former roommate and teammate Darnell Dodson, to support his claim that he was home when the assault occurred.

The Miami Dade men's and women's basketball teams attended a party at Mbakwe's apartment complex that began the night before the assault and ended early the next day. Teammates confirmed that Mbakwe attended the party.

Mbakwe has maintained his innocence. The victim in the case told police in April that she's "100 percent" sure Mbakwe was her "attacker."

If exonerated, Mbakwe, a 6-8, 240-pound forward who played high school basketball at St. Bernard's and Henry Sibley, is expected to be a major contributor for the Gophers next season.

Smith was unavailable for comment Monday. Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi said last month that the university will "do the right thing" concerning Mbakwe, depending on the outcome of his case.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
She picked Mbakwe from a police photo lineup after locating the Miami Dade men's basketball roster via an Internet search.

Yeah, that sounds admissable .....

reinko

• All American
Think a bigger lie in that article is the claim that Mbakwe is 6'8", kid is 6'6" tops.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
So he didn't play last season, and this season he is going (maybe/was planning) to play for Minnesota?
I missed this, didn't know he was full of crap when he left MU in the first place.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
What I REALLY want to know is, was Mbakwe wearing his bike helmet?  Id hate to think what would ahve happend if he had fallen off his BMX.

Bike safety is very important! ;-)

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
So he didn't play last season, and this season he is going (maybe/was planning) to play for Minnesota?
I missed this, didn't know he was full of crap when he left MU in the first place.

my other favorite thing?  oh, his 18 month old.  let's count back to the birthday ... say february 2008?  oh that baby was made during MU time fo sho, yeah MU baller baby daddy!  hope he is good to his baby mama regardless of this incident.

pillardean

• Team Captain
my other favorite thing?  oh, his 18 month old.  let's count back to the birthday ... say february 2008?  oh that baby was made during MU time fo sho, yeah MU baller baby daddy!  hope he is good to his baby mama regardless of this incident.

Baby would have been "Made" 27 months ago in May of 2007, when he was still in High School if I am not mistaken. 
Marquette University, Spring '08

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
Baby would have been "Made" 27 months ago in May of 2007, when he was still in High School if I am not mistaken. 

oh phooey ...  well that makes more sense as long as it wasn't a premie ;)  n

Jay Bee

• All American

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/53889277.html

"Unless Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi intervenes, highly touted men's basketball recruit Trevor Mbakwe will start the school year suspended from all team activities, if he is allowed to enroll at all...."

Jay Bee

• All American
Note at the Star Tribune -- says Trevor was told by the school that he is being allowed to enroll yesterday.  There is an automatic suspension imposed on him - it's now on the athletic director to decide if he plays or not -- and the guy says he will make the decision by Tuesday.
------------------

Trevor Mbakwe, Minnesota’s high profile basketball recruit facing a felony battery charge, in now enrolled at the university, the team said Friday. School officials met recently to discuss his situation and decide if the charge would affect his enrollment.

Mbakwe said Friday that the university let him know he’d been accepted Thursday. Now, it’s up to athletic director Joel Maturi to decide if he’ll lift the automatic suspension imposed on Mbakwe. Maturi said Friday that he'll make a decision about Mbakwe's involvement in preseason activities by Tuesday.

Jay Bee

• All American
Jerk face Maturi hasn't decided yet, but letting Trevor practice.  (I love the U, but am bitter about no booze at Gophers football games).
------------------------------

But Maturi says he still has not made a decision on whether Mbakwe will be able to play this season. The Gophers open the season on Nov. 13, a month before Mbakwe is scheduled to stand trial.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/09/08/minnesota.ap/index.html?section=si_latest#ixzz0QY21KlPn

GGGG

• All American
Jerk face Maturi hasn't decided yet, but letting Trevor practice.  (I love the U, but am bitter about no booze at Gophers football games).

"Jerk face???"  I didn't think they allowed middle schoolers to become members.

Jay Bee

• All American

"Jerk face???"  I didn't think they allowed middle schoolers to become members.

Nice work, guy.  If wit were whiskers, Erin Rodgers would wake up with you on his face.

Jay Bee

• All American
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/64154217.html?elr=KArks47cQiU47cQiU47cQULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

Athletic directard Joel Maturi is going to give it a few more weeks before deciding on Trevor's fate.  There is no reason I can see to wait on making a decision, other than a) hoping the felony charge gets dropped or b) Tubby needs to see how good the team is.  I love the Gophers, but I can't figure out why Maturi needs to wait to make a decision.  He's had all the information he's going to have for a long time.

At any rate, Mbakwe will be participating in Tubby's Tipoff in a few days. 

TJ

• All American
People need to stop the "innocent until proven guilty" line.  MUScoop, and our opinions, are not a court of law.  For instance, Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were never convicted of using steroids (or the like) but if you don't believe that they used them...well...your a moron.
I missed this story the first time through, but I got this reaction when I made a similar argument early in the Clark thread.

I would prefer people didn't get out their lynchin' rope and torches the second any news story about sexual assault comes out, MU related or not.  Of course this is not a court of law, but if you don't believe that the court of public opinion has the power to ruin the life of an innocent person accused of a serious crime...well...you're a moron.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:20:00 PM by TJ »

Jay Bee

• All American
The University of Minnesota is expected to release details of AD Maturi's decision on Monday.  All indications are that Trevor will not be allowed to play while the charges and case is pending.  There is a standing trial date set for December 14 - we'll see if a trial actually occurs at that point in time.

Minnesota is ranked #18 and #25 in the coaches and AP polls, respectively.  While a lot of people say Trevor provides some amazing physical inside presence, the reality is they will be a very good team with or with Mbakwe.  They still have plenty who can rebound, including 6'7" senior Damian Johnson, 6'10" 260 lbs sophomore Colton Iverson and 6'11" 240 lbs sophomore Ralph Sampson III.  RSIII will be an absolute stud - whether its this year or next I'm not sure. 

(not to mention 6-8" freshman Royce White, who is the real deal)

4everwarriors

• All American
Can the woman in question verify Trevor's "amazing, physical inside presence?"
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Steak

• Walk-On

I would imagine he's just as disappointing in bed as he was on the court

IAmMarquette

• All American

Take a bow.

Tigidal

• Starter
Gophers to wait on Mbakwe clearance
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
MINNEAPOLIS -- Junior forward Trevor Mbakwe will not be allowed to play for Minnesota until his pending court case on a felony battery charge is cleared up.

Athletics director Joel Maturi announced Monday his decision on Mbakwe's status. Mbakwe faces a December trial for an alleged attack on a woman in Miami in April. His attorney has said he's innocent.

Mbakwe can attend classes, practice and participate in team functions, but Maturi says he won't be able to play for the Gophers (No. 18 ESPN/USA Today, No. 25 AP) until the legal matter "has been resolved in a satisfactory manner." Mbakwe can't suit up for home games or travel with the team on the road.

Mbakwe spent an injury-plagued freshman season at Marquette. He transferred to a junior college in Miami, then to Minnesota.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4616237

feedback