collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gophers basketball recruit Trevor Mbakwe accused of assaulting Miami woman, but  (Read 30744 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
says 'it's not true.

Former St. Bernard's basketball standout Trevor Mbakwe, a key member of University of Minnesota coach Tubby Smith's incoming recruiting class, is facing a felony battery charge stemming from an April incident in Miami-Dade County.

"Some stuff went on; it's not true," Mbakwe said Tuesday night. "It will come out. That's why I'm just really not worried about it right now. I'm just focusing on school. There's nothing really much to it. It's just something you have to go through."

Mbakwe's attorney, Gregory Samms, wrote in an e-mail that this was "a case of mistaken identity."

According to a police report, a woman said there was a party at her Miami apartment complex for the Miami Dade College basketball team, Mbakwe's junior college team. She was walking from her vehicle to her apartment shortly before 3 a.m. April 3, according to the police report, when a man allegedly rode up on a bicycle and asked her if she was "(expletive) up."

"She ignored him, frightened and began to walk faster," the police report said. "The def(endant) rode beside her and asked if she was OK. She answered, 'Yes.' Then, the def(endant) dropped the bike and approached the victim. The def(endant) attempted to pull her pants down. The victim began to yell for help, and then the def(endant) punched her in the face, knocking her down.

"The victim got up and attempted to run away, when the def(endant) punched her again in the face," the report said. "The def(endant) got back on his bike. The victim called 911."

The woman was hospitalized, according to the police report, and suffered a fractured cheekbone and ruptured sinus. The woman identified Mbakwe, 20, from a photograph by searching online for the Miami Dade basketball team, according to the police report.

"Several attempts were made to locate the def(endant) with negative results," the police report said. "Further investigation revealed the def(endant) departed the state and returned to his mother's home in Minnesota."

After retaining an attorney, the report said, Mbakwe flew back to Miami to surrender. The St. Paul native was arrested April 28, the report said, but made no statements while invoking his rights.

"This happened awhile ago," Mbakwe said Tuesday night. "Coach (Smith) knows everything about it, of course. When the time comes, I'll be able to tell more about it. I'm just going through the (process) right now."

Mbakwe's court case is scheduled for Aug. 26 in Miami-Dade County.

Smith, who was recruiting in Phoenix, said in a statement Tuesday through the Gophers athletics communications office, "We are aware of the situation, but cannot comment at this time."

Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi said by phone Tuesday that he wasn't aware of Mbakwe's case. Maturi didn't want to speculate about Mbakwe's future with the Gophers.

"I don't know any details at all," Maturi said. "Tubby did say something to me that there was an issue about the young man, and that he was going to look into it. We have not spoken about it since that time. I would have to know what the situation is. I need to know what the facts are and what the truths are. Until then, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to say what could or could not happen.

"Sometimes people are accurately accused. Sometimes people are falsely accused. Sometimes there's truth in between. We need to know what the facts are before I think any decisions are made," Maturi said.

Mbakwe, who lives with his girlfriend and 18-month-old son near campus in Minneapolis, has yet to graduate from junior college. Mbakwe is finishing a class online so he will be eligible to transfer to Minnesota and play for the Gophers in the 2009-10 season.

"I just have to take a class that ends this week," Mbakwe said. "After this week, I just have to wait for the school to send my transcripts. That's the only problem. I'm not ineligible or anything like that."

The 6-foot-8, 230-pound Mbakwe spent an injury-plagued freshman year at Marquette before playing last season at Miami Dade, where he averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds and three blocked shots a game.

He decided to return home and play for the Gophers, joining high-profile local recruits Royce White from Hopkins High School and Rodney Williams Jr. from Cooper High School. Mbakwe was projected as a starting power forward for the Gophers, and ESPN.com has predicted Mbakwe will be the Big Ten Conference newcomer of the year.

Miami Dade basketball coach Matt Eisele said Tuesday that he didn't know Mbakwe had been arrested. He said Mbakwe was a team captain for him and didn't seem the type of person who would get into this kind of trouble.

"He gets a full blessing from me," Eisele said. "We didn't have any issues with him. All I can control is my kids staying focused. When he was down here, he was a good kid for us."'

Have fun with him, Gopher fans.
SS Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
Some people really know how to f-up prosperity.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
What a joke.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
This seals it.....good riddance.  Can you picture him on a bike?

GOMU1104

• All American
What happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Trevor isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer, but cmon now.

I'm no lawyer, but I think even I could defend Mbakwe on this one.

The girl is coming home at 3 am, after a party in Miami with a bunch of basketball players.  In the dark, she can say, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Trevor Mbakwe assaulted her.  Yea...I'm calling BS on this girl.

Hards Alumni

• All American
What happened to innocent until proven guilty?  Trevor isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer, but cmon now.

The girl is coming home at 3 am, after a party in Miami with a bunch of basketball players.  In the dark, she can say, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Trevor Mbakwe assaulted her.  Yea...I'm calling BS on this girl.

+1 to the first line only.

GGGG

• All American

A couple of things....

People need to stop the "innocent until proven guilty" line.  MUScoop, and our opinions, are not a court of law.  For instance, Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were never convicted of using steroids (or the like) but if you don't believe that they used them...well...your a moron.

Second, her job isn't to identify her attacker "beyond a reasonable doubt."  She picked him out from a photo and yes that information could be inaccurate.  Time will tell.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
What are the differences between this and the Devendorf case?  Were there multiple witnesses in the Devendorf case.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:20:58 AM by TallTitan34 »

Hards Alumni

• All American

A couple of things....

People need to stop the "innocent until proven guilty" line.  MUScoop, and our opinions, are not a court of law.  For instance, Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were never convicted of using steroids (or the like) but if you don't believe that they used them...well...your a moron.

Second, her job isn't to identify her attacker "beyond a reasonable doubt."  She picked him out from a photo and yes that information could be inaccurate.  Time will tell.

I forget the statisitics, but picking someone out of a lineup (especially someone of a different race!) is EXTREMELY unreliable.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
When Mbakwe says, "some stuff happened" does he mean something did happen with the girl but not what she said or is he just referring to being picked in a lineup.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
The Miami-Dade Police acted stupidly!

GOMU1104

• All American
I forget the statisitics, but picking someone out of a lineup (especially someone of a different race!) is EXTREMELY unreliable.

Especially when you look at the makeup of the Basketball team at Miami Dade JUCO...the ones for who the party was thrown for.

I hate to be the guy that says "they all look alike," but...

http://www.mdc.edu/athletics/mensbasketball_bios.asp

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Innocent until proven guilty? You bet. He will have his day in court.

Could a good defense attorney get him off?? Sure, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it. OJ was acquitted. The police/DA went to the trouble of pressing charges and arresting him, based on the victim's ID. Could they have the wrong guy? Sure, but they probably don't.

For those of you in the he didn't do it crowd, this happened on April 3rd. Do you find this part of the police report at all interesting...

"Several attempts were made to locate the def(endant) with negative results," the police report said. "Further investigation revealed the def(endant) departed the state and returned to his mother's home in Minnesota."

After retaining an attorney, the report said, Mbakwe flew back to Miami to surrender. The St. Paul native was arrested April 28, the report said, but made no statements while invoking his rights.

Class was in session during that time, including final exams. Now, entirely possible he had already closed the book on academics since the season was over, but I find it awfully convenient that he decided to head back to MN a full month after their season ended, while classes were in session.  

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:55:00 AM by NavinRJohnson »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
ha, mbakwe's favorite TV show is "Law and Order"

LON

• All American
Should have been you, Trevor Mbakwe.

GOMU1104

• All American
Innocent until proven guilty? You bet. He will have his day in court.

Could a good defense attorney get him off?? Sure, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it. OJ was acquitted. The police/DA went to the trouble of pressing charges and arresting him, based on the victim's ID. Could they have the wrong guy? Sure, but they probably don't.

For those of you in the he didn't do it crowd, this happened on April 3rd. Do you find this part of the police report at all interesting...

Class was in session during that time, including final exams. Now, entirely possible he had already closed the book on academics since the season was over, but I find it awfully convenient that he decided to head back to MN a full month after their season ended, while classes were in session.  

Never said he didn't do it. Just stating how shakey the evidence is.

GGGG

• All American
Especially when you look at the makeup of the Basketball team at Miami Dade JUCO...the ones for who the party was thrown for.

I hate to be the guy that says "they all look alike," but...

http://www.mdc.edu/athletics/mensbasketball_bios.asp

Wow.  First you "call BS" on the victim, then you imply that all the black guys on the team look alike.  It's a banner day for your Jesuit education.

GOMU1104

• All American

Wow.  First you "call BS" on the victim, then you imply that all the black guys on the team look alike.  It's a banner day for your Jesuit education.

Wow, are you serious?

lurch91

• All American
Man, those guys love their cartoons.

Did the Duke LaCrosse team scandal show us nothing?

GOMU1104

• All American

Did the Duke LaCrosse team scandal show us nothing?

Thank you.

Again, I am looking at the evidence put forth in that article. On the surface, it looks pretty questionable.

nyg

• All American
The use of a photographic display is for probable cause only to obtain an arrest warrant, to go along with the victim's statement.  Since the party was held for the basketball team and the victim probably described the assailant as being extremely tall, the detectives put two and two together and I presume used the basketball team photos as the actual display.  The victim would then initial/sign and date the photograph she selected.

Did the victim immediately identify the assailant as Trevor or did she take some time pondering/deciding who it was.  That would be a factor at the time of presenting the case to a grand jury for indictments.  If indicted, the police then have the option of conducting an actual "person" lineup in the company of his defense team.

The fact Trevor made the statement that "some stuff happened" does mean he was aware of the incident in some nature.

The incident occurred on 4/3/09 and he was arrested on 4/28/09.  There are no facts as to when the victim actaully reported the crime to the police.  Was it the day of the incident or subsequent to, after she thought about it.  These are some serious injuries suffered by the victim and I cannot see the police waiting that long to file charges and start looking for him.  If an arrest warrant was issued days following the incident, they should have conducted the appropriate fugitive leads, contacted Minneapolis authorities, arrested him and then had him extradited.

According to the media, the initial charges are felony battery.  These could escalate to more serious charges as attempted rape, assault, etc., once the matter is presented to the grand jury.  

Have to wait for all the facts, but this could be serious if he is charged.   

LON

• All American
Are we sure it isn't 'Horseface' McNaulty making this claim?

Oh, it wasn't in Reno?

GGGG

• All American
Thank you.

Again, I am looking at the evidence put forth in that article. On the surface, it looks pretty questionable.

Don't be ridiculous.  You are jumping to conclusions just as the others are...but you're just jumping to the opposite conclusions....

The only person who has taken some time to lay out the issues, without placing any judgment whatsoever, is nyg.  Everyone else, including yourself, are making assumptions and drawing conclusions based upon a newspaper article.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
maybe obama will invite Trevor and the girl to the white house for a beer.

GOMU1104

• All American

Don't be ridiculous.  You are jumping to conclusions just as the others are...but you're just jumping to the opposite conclusions....

The only person who has taken some time to lay out the issues, without placing any judgment whatsoever, is nyg.  Everyone else, including yourself, are making assumptions and drawing conclusions based upon a newspaper article.

Its called...looking at both sides of the issue.  Everyone immediately jumped out and assumed he is guilty, based on what is in the article. I took the other side, pointing out the potential flaws.

He very well may be a bastard, and assaulted her...but you cant draw any conclusions, either way, from what is in the article.

Sorry I didn't put it into legal-speak like nyg did.

feedback