'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bench Koby  (Read 8417 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Bench Koby
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »
Yup. Koby is likely the best of the lot we have.

But I don't care. Get Dex/Sy experience. Move on. We aren't making the tourney anyway.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 08:18:56 PM »
Sorry jes, but this is an absolutely ridiculous thread.

And that's saying something for Scoop.

As frustrating as he can be sometimes, Koby plays hard, plays defense, plays with passion, usually makes FTs. He had the winning bucket in our previous win with a great, aggressive drive.

And, as a number of our fellow Scoopers say, there simply isn't a better option.

whoa whoa, someone gotta come to my good friend across the aisle's rescue here-what's wrong with the thread?  talking MU basketball, right?  don't let em hurt your feelings jes.  some good points here...even 82's
don't...don't don't don't don't

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 08:31:00 PM »
Live or die with Koby.  But Wojo has problem for next year, he needs to get some quality transfers.
Not being a smarta$$, but I don't think this will be Wojo's problem next year.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 08:44:03 PM »
We’re on the bridge. Panzer tank approaching. We have one bullet in a six shooter. Damn.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 08:44:52 PM »
Not being a smarta$$, but I don't think this will be Wojo's problem next year.

yeah, koby a senior, eyna?
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 08:45:12 PM »
We’re on the bridge. Panzer tank approaching. We have one bullet in a six shooter. Damn.

You should probably run away then. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 08:51:44 PM »
We need a coach. Koby is not the problem.

A real coach would not allow him to dribble for 15-18 seconds. Instead, he would have him run off screens to get open looks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 09:01:10 PM »
Somewhere along the way, Wojo decided to play slow this year.   Instead of running lots of motion, he has lots of dribbling.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 10:27:42 PM »
Yup. Koby is likely the best of the lot we have.

But I don't care. Get Dex/Sy experience. Move on. We aren't making the tourney anyway.

You don't throw a senior who has been loyal to the program for 3 years under the bus when he's by far the best option. You can get Dex/Sy experience, too. It's not mutually exclusive ... as today's game showed.

Oh, and with 7 games to go, I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and players aren't thinking the season's already over. That's not how athletes/coaches think.

A little surprised about this take from you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 12:39:16 AM »
Somewhere along the way, Wojo decided to play slow this year.   Instead of running lots of motion, he has lots of dribbling.
No he doesn't.....what are you watching? There is more up-tempo and motion and ball swings and slashing then they have ever had in awhile.

I just don't see a lot of the issues you all see in here and I been watching MU basketball for a very long time.

Every post is a sly knock or rip on player of coach, and that is fine it is your opinion. Why in the world are you benching Koby who is a senior and leader of this team at this stage???

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 05:34:37 AM »
Dexter's mixtapes.
Don't forget Wojo-Dukiets legendary PowerPoint
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 06:31:59 AM »
Our bench has combined for 5 points in the last two games combined. We don't really have options.

Hard to win games with zero bench contribution.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »
Our bench has combined for 5 points in the last two games combined. We don't really have options.

Hard to win games with zero bench contribution.

This is proof that we just do not have a strong roster this year.  And yeah, I know, JLew was out, but still...is 6 players a quality roster?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2021, 07:38:27 AM »
No he doesn't.....what are you watching? There is more up-tempo and motion and ball swings and slashing then they have ever had in awhile.

I just don't see a lot of the issues you all see in here and I been watching MU basketball for a very long time.

Then you don't know what you are watching.  Two years ago, they finished the season ranked 102nd in pace.  Last year 71st.

This year they are 258th. Wojo is definitely slowing it down.

And you don't see the turnover problem?  They are 259th in turnover percentage.  18% of their possessions end in a turnover.  That is absolutely terrible.  And its been an ongoing issue under Wojo.    They haven't been top 100 in that category since he got here, but this year has been especially bad.

That was almost the reason we lost yesterday.  We had an EFG of .667.  Which is insane for this team.  But we turned the ball over on 26.9% of our possessions!

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »
I was really surprised by this thread. I like Koby and appreciate what he has given to this program for the last couple years. He's not the greatest PG that Marquette has had -- which is a pretty high bar -- but he's always struck me as a hard worker and a good kid. I think that sometimes this year he tries to do so much...but with as lethargic as this team has been at times, I don't blamed him. Also, like a lot of others have said, I'm not sure who is going to take those minutes if Koby gets benched.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »
I guess I'm odd.  Koby is about the only consistently confident player MU has.  He waves people off on presses, is the only one to drive when the shot clock is winding down.  We need more of that.

Right.  Koby started the season really well and has definitely cooled off.  But he's the best guard marquette has other than DJ.  Benching him does no one any good.

Greg is basically a spot up shooter. 

Symir looks like he would be an average player on a low major team.  Very disappointing.

Dexter - while I think will eventually be a solid contributor - clearly isn't ready.

Not sure who else is supposed to play. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2021, 10:21:42 AM »
Right.  Koby started the season really well and has definitely cooled off.  But he's the best guard marquette has other than DJ.  Benching him does no one any good.

Greg is basically a spot up shooter. 

Symir looks like he would be an average player on a low major team.  Very disappointing.

Dexter - while I think will eventually be a solid contributor - clearly isn't ready.

Not sure who else is supposed to play.

Symir looks decent if he could make an open shot. He is handling the ball better, the ball moves well with him in the game, our pace increases, and his defense has improved.

It's odd because all of his threes are straight on line but seem to be about an inch short or an inch long.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »
Symir looks decent if he could make an open shot. He is handling the ball better, the ball moves well with him in the game, our pace increases, and his defense has improved.

It's odd because all of his threes are straight on line but seem to be about an inch short or an inch long.

Ehh. I think Symir looks pretty terrible.  Sure he can handle the ball OK - and he may be the best "distributor" we have, but that isn't saying much.  Pretty much all our guards are 2G that look to shoot.  Defense is fine.  But the offensive is just awful.  The shot is terrible.  The form is terrible.  He's what - like 4 for 40 from three this year?  Dude is major liability IMO. Marquette needs an actual PG really really bad.  Assuming DJ returns next season (which is a MAJOR if IMO), he needs someone that can create shots for him.  No one can do that on this roster.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

connie

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 10:46:42 AM »

Then you don't know what you are watching.  Two years ago, they finished the season ranked 102nd in pace.  Last year 71st.

This year they are 258th. Wojo is definitely slowing it down.

And you don't see the turnover problem?  They are 259th in turnover percentage.  18% of their possessions end in a turnover.  That is absolutely terrible.  And its been an ongoing issue under Wojo.    They haven't been top 100 in that category since he got here, but this year has been especially bad.

That was almost the reason we lost yesterday.  We had an EFG of .667.  Which is insane for this team. But we turned the ball over on 26.9% of our possessions!
Holy Cr@P!  That is a startling and damning number.  I knew the to ratio was bad, but that is stunning, even for a jaded pessimist like me.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 10:47:31 AM »
Symir looks decent if he could make an open shot.

I could be world class sprinter if I could only run faster.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2021, 11:06:08 AM »
Koby giveth and Koby taketh away. Yesterday Koby did a lot of both.

That pass to John for the dunk in the first half was one of the best passes I've seen out of one of our guys this season. He followed it up with a dragged pivot foot travelling like a possession or two later.

His defense is usually very solid and I think we often overlook that its his defense that earns him as much time as he gets. Though yesterday he dropped his hands when Bolden had the ball at the top of the key and Bolden drilled a three in his face.

I appreciate Koby, he competes, he puts it all on the court, but damn are the travelling calls maddening.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2021, 12:12:02 PM »
Symir' s shot is flat and he isn't following through like he expects to make it.   Pulling the string, short arming, however you refer to it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »
They are 259th in turnover percentage.  18% of their possessions end in a turnover.  That is absolutely terrible.  And its been an ongoing issue under Wojo.    They haven't been top 100 in that category since he got here, but this year has been especially bad.

That was almost the reason we lost yesterday.  We had an EFG of .667.  Which is insane for this team.  But we turned the ball over on 26.9% of our possessions!

At times, it's like watching my middle-school team. Coaching my kids, I like pretty much ANY shot, because if we take a shot, it means we didn't turn the ball over. I almost feel the same way watching Marquette. My wife occasionally will say, "That was a bad shot ... why did he take it?" And I'll say, "Hey, at least it wasn't a turnover."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »
The amount of time Koby has the ball in his hands is directly proportional to the likelihood of a dumb play.  The way he carries himself on the court is grating.  The constant flailing and every turnover is a glare at a teammate or the ref. 

But, he can't be benched.  There isn't a better option. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »
Good or bad Koby leaves it all on the court and that's what I like about him.
He's competing

feedback